|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Helena recently returned from?
2. What city does Mildred live in?
3. When Mildred receives a telegram meant for Helena, what does it say?
4. What is Helena's last name?
5. Where does Mildred's lunch date take her after their lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helena feel about her husband's return and why does she feel this way?
2. What do Mildred and Dora learn from a Wren officer on the way home from a school reunion?
3. What do the Malorys decide about their house?
4. What does Mildred see at Piccadilly?
5. Describe the Malorys.
6. Why does Mildred leave the Malorys after helping with the curtains?
7. Where does Rocky go with Mildred and Dora and how does Mildred find this encounter?
8. Who is Dora?
9. How does Helena react when Everard comments that he will be going away, and what does she do later to contradict this reaction?
10. What does Mildred do during her time at the Learned Society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novel as a satire. What is satire? Why is Excellent Women an example of one?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of loneliness in the novel Excellent Women. Who is lonely and why? How does this loneliness affect the characters and plot of the novel? What is causing this loneliness?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of the novel. Who are "excellent women"? What are they known for? Who are excellent women in the novel? Is this a derogatory term or a title to wear with pride?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)