|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are both Everard and Helena a member of?
2. How many brothers and sisters does Mildred have?
3. What was Mildred's father's occupation?
4. Who is Everard Bone?
5. What does Mildred agree to help with when she arrives at the Malorys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Mildred run into at church?
2. What does Mildred tell the reader about her childhood?
3. Describe the Malorys.
4. What does Mildred discuss with the Malorys while having dinner with them?
5. How does Helena feel about her husband's return and why does she feel this way?
6. Where do Helena, Mildred, Rocky and Everard go together?
7. Describe Mildred Lathbury.
8. Where does Rocky go with Mildred and Dora and how does Mildred find this encounter?
9. Why does Mildred leave the Malorys after helping with the curtains?
10. Why does Mildred visit the Malory house in Chapter 7, and what does she do while there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mildred's relationship with Everard. What is their relationship based on? Friendship? Romance? What was Mildred's first impression of Everard? What does Everard think of Mildred? Is there any indication that they will move forward with their relationship in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author Barbara Pym. What genre of novel does she usually write? Does Excellent Women have anything in common with Pym's other work? Is Pym a respected writer in her field? Are there any elements of her background found in the novel Excellent Women?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of the novel Excellent Women. What is literary fiction? What are the elements of literary fiction? Which of these elements can be found in Excellent Women?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)