|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are these two people doing when Dora and Mildred see them during their outing?
2. Where did Mildred begin working after her parents died?
3. Why is it appropriate for Mrs. Gray to live at the Malory's house?
4. What is Mildred's last name?
5. How does Mildred feel while in the company of Helena and Everard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mildred tell the reader about her childhood?
2. What do the Malorys decide about their house?
3. What does Mildred discuss with the Malorys while having dinner with them?
4. Who does Mildred go on her annual lunch date with, and what do they talk about?
5. What do Mildred and Dora learn from a Wren officer on the way home from a school reunion?
6. Where do Helena, Mildred, Rocky and Everard go together?
7. Describe Rockingham Napier.
8. How does Helena react when Everard comments that he will be going away, and what does she do later to contradict this reaction?
9. What does Mildred see on Ash Wednesday that she feels compelled to share with the Napiers?
10. Describe Mildred Lathbury.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the humor in the novel Excellent Women. What types of humor does Pym employ? What effect does this have on the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social rules and moral codes that Mildred lives by. How do they restrict her? How do they affect her throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the climax of the novel. What happens at the climax of Excellent Women? How does it affect the remainder of the novel?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)