|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the new substance?
2. What language was on the door that had been uncovered?
3. What did the monk steal from his pursuers?
4. What did Gil and Juan think was behind the door?
5. What must the Incas never take from the monk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Denal save Maggie? How did she respond to this?
2. Why did the underground structure moan?
3. What had Francisco done to the cross?
4. What strange behavior had the tarantulas adopted?
5. What idea led Sam to consider the journey across the booby trapped room?
6. Why did Gil put his pickax through the central computer?
7. What similarities were between the hotel robbery and the one at the lab?
8. What was so special about caverns to the Incas?
9. Why had the Spaniards come to the jungle?
10. What situations led Maggie to be cautious and trust her instinct?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of the relationship between Ralph and Norman. How did Ralph originally feel about Norman, and why? How did Norman take the prejudice against him? At what point did the relationship turn into a solid friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Maggie and Sam's grief. How was their experience of grief different? How did they deal with it differently? Who came to terms with their grief first, and where in the novel did this occur?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the fact that Sam cannot remember anything following his death. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Why is that? Is his desire to know what happened understandable? How or why not?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)