|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What betrayed Dale's movements?
2. What was happening to Maggie?
3. What was Maggie's first instinct when she heard someone coming?
4. Who was chasing him?
5. Why was Philip hoarse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics made the substance found in Francisco's skull unique?
2. What did Henry believe regarding the crucifix and the substance?
3. What was the Monk's final act, and why did he do it?
4. Why had the Spaniards come to the jungle?
5. Why did Gil put his pickax through the central computer?
6. What does the symbol of the two swords and the crucifix mean and how does that information affect Henry?
7. What was so special about caverns to the Incas?
8. Why did the underground structure moan?
9. Why might the Incas have put the substance in the head of the corpse?
10. How did Denal save Maggie? How did she respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters of Friar Otera and Abbot Ruiz. What are their motivations? Are they similar? In what ways are they different? Are either of them men of principle? How or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sam's last few moments alive before he dies, and the events that occur post mortem. What is his last thought? What events occurred after his death, and who was the strongest advocate for his resurrection? Suggest a reason for this advocacy.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Joan and Henry as characters. What are their strengths and weaknesses? Who is the stronger character overall and why? Does this become debatable as the novel progresses? How or why not?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)