|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wasn't among the priest's effects?
2. What deactivated the gears?
3. What were caverns considered to be?
4. What triggered the change in shape of the substance?
5. What was the bitter elixir called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had the Spaniards come to the jungle?
2. What is the "place of the pit"?
3. What kinds of things did the group notice regarding the cave creatures?
4. What was so intriguing about the Friar's mummified remains?
5. What did Sam realize was the reason for living?
6. Why might the Incas have put the substance in the head of the corpse?
7. Describe the temple.
8. What did the Monk thank God for?
9. For what reasons did the group realize that the sacrifice of the children had become necessary?
10. What had brought up the feelings of loss in Henry?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan's exploitation of the young monk's attraction to her. Do you think this was fair of her to do so, taking into consideration a monk's vows? Is it understandable considering her motivations? Why or why not? Was it ethical? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Substance Z. What characteristics gave it an impossible composition? How do these characteristics serve the needs of the substance? Does it serve the needs of the mallaqui, if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Henry gets an intuitive feeling that something isn't right at the dig site and frantically attempts to contact them, to no avail. Are there any other times that Henry has had a bad intuitive feeling and it has played out in favor of the intuition? How many other intuitive feelings does Henry have that play out in the intuitive?
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)