|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a great marker(s) for ancestry and race?
2. What was the bitter elixir called?
3. Why had the monk come?
4. What deactivated the gears?
5. What did Joan suggest to Henry regarding their findings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the dig team burdened with Philip?
2. Why did the underground structure moan?
3. Why hadn't the Inca captors stripped the man of his cross and robe?
4. What circumstances led to the Monk's temporary dizziness?
5. What similarity did all the different tribes share?
6. Why had the Spaniards come to the jungle?
7. What kind of equipment was in Joan's lab?
8. What was so intriguing about the Friar's mummified remains?
9. What was so special about caverns to the Incas?
10. What did Henry believe regarding the crucifix and the substance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan and Henry as characters. What are their strengths and weaknesses? Who is the stronger character overall and why? Does this become debatable as the novel progresses? How or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the experimentation regarding the mallaqui. Is this ethically correct, to engage in this kind of study with a notably hostile subject? Should the mallaqui be given freedom to live as any other creature? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the story of Inkarri. How does this story follow similar myths and legends that have very little basis in reality? How did this myth incorporate real events? How does this affect the credibility of the myths?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)