|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why wouldn't Denal stay and wait for the people to find the way?
2. What did the monk steal from his pursuers?
3. What did the monk do?
4. At what temperature does the amalgam melt?
5. What did it turn out, the friar was a part of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the temple.
2. Why had the Spaniards come to the jungle?
3. Who was Inkarri?
4. What had been the instrument of Francisco's escape?
5. What situations led Maggie to be cautious and trust her instinct?
6. What was so special about caverns to the Incas?
7. What idea led Sam to consider the journey across the booby trapped room?
8. Where were the facilities and how did the man wearing the lab coat enter them?
9. Why hadn't the Inca captors stripped the man of his cross and robe?
10. Why didn't the Monk want to throw down his robes, despite the fact that they hindered his progress through the jungle?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Maggie and Sam's grief. How was their experience of grief different? How did they deal with it differently? Who came to terms with their grief first, and where in the novel did this occur?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the evolution of the relationship between Ralph and Norman. How did Ralph originally feel about Norman, and why? How did Norman take the prejudice against him? At what point did the relationship turn into a solid friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the usage of pictographs and ideograms. What are they used for? What do they represent? Who used them and why go to all that trouble instead of creating a language and developing it over time, as many other native people did?
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)