|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the official religion of Britain at the time of this book?
2. Who is the third set of men to aid Derfel and his army against the Saxons?
(a) The black shield warriors.
(b) The druid magicians.
(c) Gwent's reserve warriors.
(d) Arthur's knights.
3. Who made the Temple of Mithras?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The pagans.
(c) The Druids.
(d) The Christians.
4. Where does Merlin say he talks to the gods?
(a) Mai Dun.
(b) Mal Dul.
(c) Ming Triung.
(d) Mer Tran.
5. Who does Derfel have to fight before conferring with the Saxon king?
(a) The King.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of armor do the Gwent soldiers wear?
2. Why is Powis able to hide what he is writing about from the bishop?
3. What was the occupation of the narrator of this book?
4. What is slaughtered at the important spring feast ritual?
5. What happens to Guinevere after her infidelity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing Derfel does when he realizes that he and his men are trapped in the earthen fortress?
2. Why is little background information given at the beginning of this book?
3. What is the message Arthur has Derfel send to Guinevere?
4. What are some of the beacon fires initially confused for?
5. What does Argante do at the Feast of Imbolc?
6. What disappoints Derfel when he arrives at the Aelle's hall?
7. What happens when Madroc is rescued from the sacrifice?
8. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
9. What surprising news about Arthur does Derfel learn when he comes back from the Saxon king?
10. What special assignment is Derfel given when the plans for the Saxon invasion are discussed?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)