|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Arthur's men feel about putting crosses on their shield?
2. What does Merlin do when he sees what Derfel has brought into the temple for him?
(a) He spits on it.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He slits his thumb with it.
(d) He kisses it.
3. Who has allied with Aelle in attacking Arthur?
4. Where does Arthur plan to make his stand against the combined Saxon armies?
5. What direction does the Saxon army invade from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arthur want to do in order to win the war with the Saxons?
2. Who is Derfel supposed to give the gift from the Saxon king to?
3. What is slaughtered at the important spring feast ritual?
4. Who is with the King when Derfel delivers his message?
5. What makes Derfel think Merlin can talk to the gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
2. Why is little background information given at the beginning of this book?
3. What is included in the first chapter with the purpose of helping the reader understand the plot better?
4. What warning did Bors give Derfel, and how did this affect the fight?
5. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
6. What does Arthur ask Derfel to do during the winter following the sacrificial ritual?
7. Why does Arthur get upset with Derfel while at the temple of Mithras?
8. What does Derfel realize when he sees Arthur with his son?
9. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
10. What is the price to Arthur for the alliance with Gwent?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)