|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When are the gods to return to Britain?
(a) The Eve of Samain.
(b) The Eve of Christmas.
(c) The Eve of Madrigon.
(d) The Eve of the Passover.
2. How long is Arthur gone after saving Derfel and his men after they are trapped?
(a) Four days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two days.
3. What is Excalibur?
(a) A sword.
(b) A helmut.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A wizard.
4. Who is the third set of men to aid Derfel and his army against the Saxons?
(a) Gwent's reserve warriors.
(b) The druid magicians.
(c) Arthur's knights.
(d) The black shield warriors.
5. What does the bishop think Powis is writing about at the beginning of the book?
(a) King Arthur's reign.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) The history of the church.
(d) A revision of British history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breaks the shield line of the Saxons when Derfel and his men are trapped?
2. Who does Derfel take with him when he evacuates after the Saxon attack?
3. What kind of city is Aquius Sulis?
4. Where does Merlin say he talks to the gods?
5. How many columns are the Saxon armies divided into when they attack Derfel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Saxon army do when they have Derfel and his men trapped?
2. What is Arthur's initial plan of attack against the Saxons?
3. What does Aelle say after Derfel has defeated the Saxon warrior in the court?
4. What is done to keep at bay the first wave of attack from the Saxons on Derfel's trapped men?
5. What does Aelle do before Derfel leaves his castle after delivering the message from Arthur?
6. What does Arthur ask Derfel to do during the winter following the sacrificial ritual?
7. What does Merlin do after Arthur puts an end to the ritual on Mai Dun?
8. What is the one thing Arthur does NOT do while he is fighting with Derfel against the Saxons?
9. What is the message Arthur has Derfel send to Guinevere?
10. What does Derfel realize when he hears Druids sacrifice the sons of kings?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)