|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Arthur want to do in order to win the war with the Saxons?
(a) Make a sneak attack.
(b) Bribe one of the kings.
(c) Hold a treaty meeting.
(d) Break the rules of war.
2. How old is Arthur's son at the beginning of the book?
3. Who is the third set of men to aid Derfel and his army against the Saxons?
(a) The druid magicians.
(b) Gwent's reserve warriors.
(c) The black shield warriors.
(d) Arthur's knights.
4. What is slaughtered at the important spring feast ritual?
(a) Triplet babies.
(b) A maiden.
5. How does Arthur say Christians practice human sacrifice?
(a) Their propensity for self flagellation.
(b) Christ's crucifixion.
(c) Worshipping dead saints.
(d) The images of dead men.
6. What is Merlin?
(a) A Druid.
(b) A magician.
(c) A sorcerer.
(d) A wizard.
7. What does Derfel pack with him on his journey?
(a) A flag of truce.
(b) His sword and shield.
(c) Food for a month.
(d) Paper and pen.
8. Who has allied with Aelle in attacking Arthur?
9. What kind of ritual is performed a the important spring feast?
10. What does Arthur congratulate Derfel for after saving him?
(a) Catching him in time.
(b) Staying alive.
(c) His good defense.
(d) Finding a suitable fortress.
11. What occupation does Derfel take after his battling is done?
12. What kind of carts are used at the beginning of the attack on the fortress when Derfel is trapped?
(a) Hospital Carts.
(b) Horse carts.
(c) Storage Carts.
(d) Ox carts.
13. Who officiates at the important spring feast?
14. Who is Derfel having a conversation with as he writes this book?
(b) A group of monks.
(c) The bishop.
(d) Queen Igraine.
15. Where are the Saxon armies camped out when Arthur plans to attack them?
(a) The seaside.
(b) The valley.
(c) The hilly slope.
(d) The Roman ruins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising thing does Derfel do at the end of this fight in the Saxon Hall?
2. Who helps Lancelot try to overthrow Arthur?
3. What color are the crosses put on the shields?
4. Who does Derfel have to fight before conferring with the Saxon king?
5. What is Excalibur?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)