|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is slaughtered at the important spring feast ritual?
(a) A maiden.
(d) Triplet babies.
2. Where does Cerdic escape when the third group of men attacks?
(a) To the west.
(b) To the east.
(c) By the river.
(d) Into the woods.
3. What warns Derfel of the advance of the Saxon army?
(a) Loud horns.
(b) Beacon fires.
(c) A call to arms.
(d) A coded message.
4. What is the official religion of Britain at the time of this book?
5. Who does Derfel take with him when he evacuates after the Saxon attack?
6. What does Derfel know he will receive at Nantosuelta?
(a) A lover for the night.
(b) A fortune from a sorceress.
(c) Luck and prosperity.
(d) Orders from Arthur.
7. What path would the Saxon armies have left on?
8. What was the occupation of the narrator of this book?
9. What kind of armor do the Gwent soldiers wear?
10. What direction does the Saxon army invade from?
11. Why do Arthur and his men all put crosses on their shields?
(a) He thinks it will soften the hearts of the Saxons.
(b) It is a Druid symbol.
(c) It is the price of Gwent's alliance.
(d) He is humbling himself before God.
12. How does Arthur say Christians practice human sacrifice?
(a) Their propensity for self flagellation.
(b) Christ's crucifixion.
(c) The images of dead men.
(d) Worshipping dead saints.
13. Who do the Druids usually sacrifice in their rituals?
(a) Old kings and queens.
(c) Traitors from other lands.
(d) The sons of kings.
14. What does the bishop think Powis is writing about at the beginning of the book?
(a) A revision of British history.
(b) King Arthur's reign.
(c) The history of the church.
(d) Jesus Christ.
15. What did Cefydd sacrifice to try and win his war?
(a) His brother.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His son.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ritual is performed a the important spring feast?
2. What is the fortress made of that Derfel is trapped in?
3. Who helps Lancelot try to overthrow Arthur?
4. How many columns are the Saxon armies divided into when they attack Derfel?
5. What is the leader of the third group of men in support of Derfel against the Saxons riding?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)