|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Derfel know he will receive at Nantosuelta?
(a) Orders from Arthur.
(b) A fortune from a sorceress.
(c) A lover for the night.
(d) Luck and prosperity.
2. How did Merlin make the naked woman glow?
(a) With an old Roman spell.
(b) With a secretion of clams.
(c) With a strange powder.
(d) With transluscent leaves.
3. How does Arthur say Christians practice human sacrifice?
(a) Christ's crucifixion.
(b) Worshipping dead saints.
(c) Their propensity for self flagellation.
(d) The images of dead men.
4. Who does Derfel have to fight before conferring with the Saxon king?
(b) The King.
5. What does Merlin do when he sees what Derfel has brought into the temple for him?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He kisses it.
(c) He slits his thumb with it.
(d) He spits on it.
6. What direction does Arthur first think the Saxons are going to attack from?
7. Why has Gawain been brought to the Temple of Mithras?
(a) To be sacrificed.
(b) To be a liaison for his father.
(c) To convince Arthur to perform a ritual.
(d) To kill the sacrificed persons.
8. What does the bishop think Powis is writing about at the beginning of the book?
(a) A revision of British history.
(b) King Arthur's reign.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) The history of the church.
9. Who has asked for the use of Excalibur?
10. Which direction does Derfel travel in after the Saxon attack?
11. Who is Derfel supposed to give the gift from the Saxon king to?
(a) His bride.
(c) His mother.
12. Where does Cerdic escape when the third group of men attacks?
(a) By the river.
(b) Into the woods.
(c) To the east.
(d) To the west.
13. What does Derfel pack with him on his journey?
(a) His sword and shield.
(b) Food for a month.
(c) Paper and pen.
(d) A flag of truce.
14. Why does Arthur not believe in any gods?
(a) He only believes in himself.
(b) He sees no proof of it.
(c) There are too many for him to choose from.
(d) His faith has been shattered.
15. Who comes up with the idea that breaks the shield line of the Saxons when Derfel and his men are trapped?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Saxon army form when they see Arthur's army attacking them?
2. What does Arthur congratulate Derfel for after saving him?
3. What was the occupation of the narrator of this book?
4. What is the name of Gawain's father?
5. What is slaughtered at the important spring feast ritual?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)