|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What path would the Saxon armies have left on?
2. What is the name of Arthur's son?
3. What does the bishop think Powis is writing about at the beginning of the book?
(a) A revision of British history.
(b) The history of the church.
(c) King Arthur's reign.
(d) Jesus Christ.
4. Who comes up with the idea that breaks the shield line of the Saxons when Derfel and his men are trapped?
5. Who does Derfel send a message to when he is trapped by the Saxon armies?
6. What is leading the third group of men in support of Derfel against the Saxons?
(a) A masked and hooded figure.
(b) Gawain's corpse.
(c) Merlin with a severred head on a stake.
(d) A naked woman.
7. How does Arthur respond to the request for Excalibur?
(a) He angrily refuses.
(b) He puts a spell of protection on it first.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He gives it willingly.
8. Who is with the King when Derfel delivers his message?
(a) Lancelot and Bors.
(b) His two sons.
(c) The royal guards.
(d) The feasting hall guests.
9. What is the name of Gawain's father?
10. What kind of city is Aquius Sulis?
11. What does the Saxon army form when they see Arthur's army attacking them?
(a) A flanked formation.
(b) An arrow volley.
(c) A series of lines.
(d) A shield wall.
12. What breaks the shield line of the Saxons when Derfel and his men are trapped?
(a) Flaming arrow volleys.
(b) A naked woman.
(c) A burning wagon.
(d) Children carrying white flags.
13. What important feast happens in the spring?
(a) The Feast of Ithyllian.
(b) The Feast of Indrian.
(c) The Feast of Icklian.
(d) The Feast of Imbolc.
14. How does Derfel describe the day that the attack on the Saxons was begun?
15. When will the Saxons hold a festival for Eostre?
(a) During the feast of Beltane.
(b) During the next new moon.
(c) After the Easter solstice.
(d) At the changing of the tide.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many columns are the Saxon armies divided into when they attack Derfel?
2. Why is Powis able to hide what he is writing about from the bishop?
3. What is Eostre?
4. What warns Derfel of the advance of the Saxon army?
5. Who officiates at the important spring feast?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)