|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Enduring Chill" who does Asbury say is his god?
(c) the Holy Ghost
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury convince the farm workers to do that contaminates the milk?
(a) Drink from the containers of fresh milk
(b) Smoke in the milking room
(c) Milk the cows improperly
(d) Feed the cows onions
3. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury's sister travel to the train station with his mother?
(a) His mother is afraid to see Asbury by herself.
(b) His mother does not like going out alone at night.
(c) She wants to make sure that her mother gets to the train station safely.
(d) She wants to greet Asbury when he arrives.
4. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Sarah Ruth throw Parker out of the house?
(a) She believes his tattoo is idolatry.
(b) She is angry that he destroyed his boss' tractor.
(c) She believes he cannot be saved.
(d) She is ashamed of him.
5. In the story "The Enduring Chill," who does Asbury ask his mother to invite to their home?
(b) Dr. Block
(c) Mr. Bush
(d) A Catholic priest
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Rufus read to Norton?
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what illness does Dr. Block diagnose Asbury as having?
3. In the story "The Comforts of Home," how does Star gain entrance into Thomas' home the second time?
4. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner not write his true feelings about NYC in his postcard to Coleman and Hooten ?
5. In the story "The Comforts of Home," who kills Thomas' mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say is the problem with farming cotton?
2. In the story "Parker's Back," how does Parker change as the result of his tattoo of Jesus?
3. In the story "A View of the Woods," what angers Mary Fortune about her grandfather's plan to sell a lot of his land?
4. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May decide to have Mr. Greenleaf shoot the bull?
5. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker do between the two tattooing sessions necessary to complete his tattoo of Jesus?
6. At the end of the story "The Comforts of Home," what does the sheriff surmise actually happened to Thomas' mother?
7. In the story "Greenleaf," how do the Greenleafs come to live on the May farm?
8. In the story "Judgment Day," what is Foley's significance in the community?
9. Describe the "communion" that Asbury, Randall and Morgan take in the story "The Enduring Chill."
10. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why is Sheppard bothered by his son eating cake for breakfast?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)