|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Star threaten to do if Thomas throws her out of the house?
(a) Kill his mother
(b) Commit suicide
(c) Steal their money
(d) Report him to the police
2. In the story "Greenleaf," what relationship does the "colored man" on the Greenleaf boys' farm have with the Mays?
(a) He is responsible for the bull getting lose.
(b) He used to work for the Mays.
(c) He is a cousin to Mr. Greenleaf.
(d) He purchased an insurance policy from Scofield.
3. In the story "A View of the Woods," which of the following is not an aspect of Tilman's business?
(a) Dance hall
(b) Grocery store
(c) New car dealership
(d) Gas station
4. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker say "long views" depress him?
(a) They remind him of what he does not have.
(b) They make him think of the future.
(c) They make him feel as if someone is after him.
(d) They encourage people to take long walks.
5. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," which of the following is not an aspect of her family's past that impresses Julian's mother?
(a) Her grandfather was a governor.
(b) Her mother was a Godhigh.
(c) Her father was a Godhigh.
(d) Her great-grandfather was a plantation owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," what concerns Mrs. May about her sons getting married?
2. In the story "Parker's Back," which of the following is not something that bothers Parker about his wife?
3. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner decide to go back down South?
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell Fortune will happen if he leaves her in the car while he is in Tilman's?
5. In the story "Parker's Back," why are Sarah Ruth and Parker married in a courthouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe social class from Mrs. Turpin's perspective as presented in the story "Revelation."
2. Describe the "communion" that Asbury, Randall and Morgan take in the story "The Enduring Chill."
3. Describe O.T. & E.T. Greenleaf from "Greenleaf."
4. Describe the character of Pitts in the story "A View of the Woods."
5. In the story "Greenleaf," how do the Greenleafs come to live on the May farm?
6. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what bothers Thomas about Star?
7. In the story "Judgment Day," what is Foley's significance in the community?
8. What is the significance of Julian's mother's hat in the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge"?
9. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Father Finn say Asbury is ignorant?
10. Describe Asbury's appearance In the story "The Enduring Chill."
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)