|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Sheppard believe is the worst fault a person can have?
2. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what gives Julian's mother pleasure about his "success"?
(a) He has returned home to her.
(b) He was able to attend a good college.
(c) She has struggled to ensure he would have a good upbringing.
(d) She had the money to provide for him.
3. In the story "Revelation," how does the doctor subdue the teenage girl?
(a) He sends her out of the office with her mother.
(b) He straps her to a treatment table.
(c) He injects her with a sedative.
(d) He and the nurses hold her down.
4. In the story "Parker's Back," what condition does Sarah Ruth set for telling Parker her name?
(a) She tells him he must not get any more tattoos.
(b) She tells him he must bring peaches to her house.
(c) She tells him he must believe in Jesus.
(d) She tells him he must tell her what his first two initials stand for.
5. In the story "The Comforts of Home," which of the following is not one of the suggestions Thomas makes for getting rid of Star?
(a) Having her arrested
(b) Renting her a room in boarding house
(c) Sending her to a hotel
(d) Taking her to the hospital
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," who gets Mary Fortune from Tilman's store parking lot?
2. In the story "Parker's Back," which of the following is not something that bothers Parker about his wife?
3. In the story "The Comforts of Home," who kills Thomas' mother?
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather would happen to anyone who beat her?
5. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury not want to see Dr. Block?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "Revelation," why does Mrs. Turpin continue to repeat the phrase "there's a heap of things worse than a nigger"?
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," how does Norton react when Rufus tells him about hell? Why?
3. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Mary Fortune attack her grandfather for beating her but not her father?
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," how does Mary Fortune react when her father beats her?
5. In the story "Revelation," what bothers Mrs. Turpin about the teenage girl?
6. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner say will happen on judgment day?
7. Describe the white-trash woman in the story "Revelation."
8. Why is Julian left feeling "guilt and sorrow" at the end of the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge"?
9. In the story "Judgment Day," what do the two notes that Tanner writes instruct their readers to do?
10. In the story "Parker's Back," what inspires Parker to get his first tattoo?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)