|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Sheppard believe Norton will become when he grows up?
(a) A criminal
(b) An astronaut
(c) A banker
(d) A scientist
2. In the story "Revelation," what do the Turpins do upon returning home from the doctor's office?
(a) Pick up the farm workers
(b) Feed the pigs
(c) Go to bed
(d) Eat dinner
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard invite Rufus to live with he and Norton?
(a) To have another person to help with the household chores
(b) To teach Norton how to share
(c) To provide Rufus with a safe home
(d) To provide Norton with a live-in playmate
4. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin notice about the old woman sitting next to the child?
(a) She appears to be the boy's mother.
(b) She is missing teeth.
(c) She cannot speak proper English.
(d) She has snuff around her mouth.
5. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas' mother say she cannot send Star back to jail?
(a) She believes Star did not commit any crime.
(b) It would be like sending her own sister to jail.
(c) She believes she can save Star's soul.
(d) It would be like sending her own child to jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner not write his true feelings about NYC in his postcard to Coleman and Hooten ?
2. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Thomas see as the "principle of order and the only thing that makes life bearable"?
3. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker begin getting tattoos?
4. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner recite as he attempts to leave his daughter's apartment for good?
5. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker decide to do after his mother takes him to a religious revival?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "Parker's Back," what things does Parker say his wife does not approve of?
2. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why is Julian so disgusted with his mother?
3. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Dr. Block respond when Asbury tells him he cannot understand his illness?
4. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner say will happen on judgment day?
5. In the story "The Enduring Chill," who does Asbury believe is responsible for his failure as an artist? Why?
6. Describe social class from Mrs. Turpin's perspective as presented in the story "Revelation."
7. In the story "The Enduring Chill." what attracts Asbury to the Roman Catholic church?
8. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Rufus eat a page of the Bible?
9. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker do between the two tattooing sessions necessary to complete his tattoo of Jesus?
10. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what bothers Thomas about Star?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)