|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," why do the May boys begin fighting during dinner one night?
(a) Scofield is angry at Wesley for upsetting their mother.
(b) They cannot decide who will be responsible for removing the bull from the property.
(c) Scofield insults Wesley's career.
(d) Wesley is angry at Scofield for upsetting their mother.
2. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian's mother do to punctuate her statement that it is hot?
(a) Takes out a Japanese fan
(b) Repeat her statement loudly
(c) Take off her hat
(d) Begins fanning herself with a newspaper
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what disability does Rufus have?
(a) He has a club foot.
(b) He only has one leg.
(c) He walks with a limp.
(d) He has only one foot.
4. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how do Randall and Morgan react when they see Asbury?
(a) They tell him he looks healthy.
(b) They are pleased to see their old friend.
(c) They tell him he looks like he is going to die.
(d) They are shocked by how sickly he looks.
5. In the story "A View of the Woods," what color does Fortune think the woods turn one evening?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does Julian prefer the old family mansion?
2. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas put the gun in Star's purse?
3. In the story "Revelation," how does the doctor subdue the teenage girl?
4. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Norton spend so much time looking through the telescope?
5. In the story "Judgment Day," where does Tanner think he is as he falls down the stairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "Judgment Day," what is the joke Tanner plans on playing on Coleman and Hooten?
2. In the story "Parker's Back," why doesn't Sarah Ruth want Parker to have the Bible tattooed on his back?
3. In the story "The Enduring Chill," who does Asbury believe is responsible for his failure as an artist? Why?
4. Why is Julian left feeling "guilt and sorrow" at the end of the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge"?
5. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Thomas' mother do to help Star?
6. Describe the black woman who sits next to Julian on the bus in the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge."
7. In the story "A View of the Woods," how does Mary Fortune react when her father beats her?
8. Describe Asbury's appearance In the story "The Enduring Chill."
9. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Norton commit suicide?
10. In the story "Revelation," why does Mrs. Turpin continue to repeat the phrase "there's a heap of things worse than a nigger"?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)