|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner do to keep his hands from shaking?
(a) Keep his fingers in his pockets
(b) Whittle figures out of wood
(c) Walk around
(d) Hold his hands behind his back
2. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Fortune do to teach Mary Fortune a lesson?
(a) Has her father arrested for assault
(b) Sells the land in front of the Pitts home
(c) Beats her with his belt
(d) Beats her head against a rock
3. In the story "Parker's Back," why are Sarah Ruth and Parker married in a courthouse?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) They are in a hurry.
(c) She believes churches are idolatrous.
(d) He does not believe in church weddings.
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather would happen to anyone who beat her?
(a) She would report them to the police.
(b) She would beat them.
(c) She would tell him about the person.
(d) She would kill them.
5. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Rufus teach Norton about that angers Sheppard?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," who does the Pitts family blame for Fortune wanting to sell the lot in front of their home?
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury hope to be buried when he dies?
3. In the story "A View of the Woods," who does Fortune plan to sell the Pitts' lawn lot to?
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," who does Mary Fortune look the most like in her family?
5. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner pretend to do when his daughter is leaving for the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "Parker's Back," what inspires Parker to get his first tattoo?
2. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May say that O.T. & E.T. should have been her sons?
3. In the story "Greenleaf," how do the Greenleafs come to live on the May farm?
4. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," how does Norton react when Rufus tells him about hell? Why?
5. Describe Mrs. Greenleaf's process for faith-healing in the story "Greenleaf."
6. In the story "Parker's Back," why doesn't Sarah Ruth want Parker to have the Bible tattooed on his back?
7. Describe social class from Mrs. Turpin's perspective as presented in the story "Revelation."
8. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Mary Fortune attack her grandfather for beating her but not her father?
9. Describe Asbury's appearance In the story "The Enduring Chill."
10. Describe the black woman who sits next to Julian on the bus in the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge."
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)