|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury's friend Goetz take him to help him deal with death?
(a) To a Hindu lecture
(b) To a Buddhist temple
(c) To visit a Catholic priest
(d) To a hospital
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Asbury choose to spend his days on the family farm?
(a) In the dairy working with the farm workers
(b) In his room writing
(c) In bed sleeping
(d) At his sister's school
3. In the story "Greenleaf," what does Mrs. May tell Mr. Greenleaf he will be doing because he did not return the bull to his sons' farm?
(a) He will have to take it back to their farm before he does any other work.
(b) He will be docked wages to pay for repairs on her farm.
(c) He will be looking for another job because she is firing him.
(d) He will have to shoot it.
4. In the story "Greenleaf," what creature is plaguing Mrs. May's hedges?
(a) A gopher
(b) A horse
(c) A cow
(d) A bull
5. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May believe she suddenly becomes so tired?
(a) She always has to wait on Mr. Greenleaf.
(b) She has worked non-stop for 15 years.
(c) She is ill.
(d) The situation with the bull has drained all of her energy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker decide to do after his mother takes him to a religious revival?
2. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner think the black man in his building does not respond to him when he first speaks to him?
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard invite Rufus to live with he and Norton?
4. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner ultimately buried?
5. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Rufus read to Norton?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May decide to have Mr. Greenleaf shoot the bull?
2. In the story "Revelation," what bothers Mrs. Turpin about the teenage girl?
3. Describe Mary Fortune's appearance in the story "A View of the Woods."
4. Describe Mrs. Greenleaf's process for faith-healing in the story "Greenleaf."
5. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Norton do when looking through the telescope alone at night?
6. In the story "Greenleaf," how do the Greenleafs come to live on the May farm?
7. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker do between the two tattooing sessions necessary to complete his tattoo of Jesus?
8. In the story "Parker's Back," what inspires Parker to get his first tattoo?
9. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does the author characterize the relationship between Mary George and Asbury?
10. Describe the character of Pitts in the story "A View of the Woods."
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)