|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," how does Rufus initially respond to Sheppard's interest in him?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He is eager to befriend Sheppard.
(c) He is resistant.
(d) He is silent.
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Mrs. Fox suggest inviting Mr. Bush to the house?
(a) She wants to save Asbury's soul.
(b) She believes he and Asbury could become friends.
(c) She sees him as an intellectual and thinks he and Asbury would enjoy talking.
(d) She knows he and Asbury collect coins and thinks they would enjoy talking.
3. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May believe she suddenly becomes so tired?
(a) She always has to wait on Mr. Greenleaf.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She has worked non-stop for 15 years.
(d) The situation with the bull has drained all of her energy.
4. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does the black woman become angry with her son?
(a) She believes he is misbehaving on the bus.
(b) She believes he likes Julian's mother better than him.
(c) He is talking to a white woman.
(d) He refuses to sit with her.
5. In the story "Greenleaf," how does Mrs. May characterize the Greenleaf boys when she discovers it is their bull on her farm?
(a) As cruel
(b) As irresponsible
(c) As lazy
(d) As ungrateful
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," who does Mary Fortune look the most like in her family?
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury convince the farm workers to do that contaminates the milk?
3. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather when he confronts her about Pitts' beatings?
4. In the story "Greenleaf," what had the Greenleaf boys done to distinguish themselves?
5. In the story "Parker's Back," what is Sarah Ruth constantly trying to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say is the problem with farming cotton?
2. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Thomas' mother do to help Star?
3. In the story "Judgement Day," how does Tanner die?
4. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," how is Rufus' view of the night sky different than Sheppard's?
5. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Foley propose Tanner and Coleman do in exchange for room and board? How does Tanner react?
6. At the end of the story "The Comforts of Home," what does the sheriff surmise actually happened to Thomas' mother?
7. In the story "Revelation," what bothers Mrs. Turpin about the teenage girl?
8. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what draws Sheppard to Rufus Johnson?
9. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner say will happen on judgment day?
10. Describe what happens to Julian's mother when she offers a penny to the black child in the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge."
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)