|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Parker's Back," which of the following is not something that bothers Parker about his wife?
(a) She is snapping beans.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is plain.
(d) She is his wife.
2. In the story "Greenleaf," how does Mrs. May characterize the Greenleaf boys when she discovers it is their bull on her farm?
(a) As ungrateful
(b) As irresponsible
(c) As lazy
(d) As cruel
3. In the story "Revelation," how does Mrs. Turpin characterize the farm workers' compliments?
(a) As mocking
(b) As sincere
(c) As insincere
(d) As flattering
4. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why is Star jailed?
(c) Stealing someone's identity
(d) For passing a bad check
5. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard think Rufus refused the shoe he had made for him?
(c) Out of spite
6. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what job does Mary George hold?
(a) She is a country school principal.
(b) She is a playwrite.
(c) She is a writer.
(d) She is a country school teacher.
7. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury's friend Goetz take him to help him deal with death?
(a) To visit a Catholic priest
(b) To a Buddhist temple
(c) To a hospital
(d) To a Hindu lecture
8. In the story "The Enduring Chill" who does Asbury say is his god?
(b) the Holy Ghost
9. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what is Star's real name?
10. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," which of the following is not an aspect of her family's past that impresses Julian's mother?
(a) Her father was a Godhigh.
(b) Her grandfather was a governor.
(c) Her great-grandfather was a plantation owner.
(d) Her mother was a Godhigh.
11. In the story "The Comforts of Home," how is Thomas like his deceased father?
(a) Both were lawyers
(b) Both were ruthless
(c) Both were rational and practical
(d) Both were foolish
12. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Pitts say to Mary Fortune before he whips her?
(a) You're in big trouble.
(b) I'm going to whip you.
(c) Nobody beat me.
(d) Come with me.
13. In the story "A View of the Woods," what color does Fortune think the woods turn one evening?
14. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker's future wife hit him the first time they meet?
(a) He tries attacking her.
(b) He says something filthy to her.
(c) He comes on to her in an inappropriate way.
(d) He curses when he hurts his hand.
15. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say is the goal of all black people?
(a) To avoid working hard
(b) To improve their color by marrying white people
(c) To make money
(d) To make white people's lives miserable
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how does Julian characterize his trips with his mother to the Y?
2. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say is "the worst thing in the world"?
3. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker say is different about the experience of having his back tattooed?
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell Fortune will happen if he leaves her in the car while he is in Tilman's?
5. In the story "A View of the Woods," how does Fortune characterize Mary Fortune when she attacks him?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)