|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," what does Mrs. May tell Mr. Greenleaf he will be doing because he did not return the bull to his sons' farm?
(a) He will be looking for another job because she is firing him.
(b) He will be docked wages to pay for repairs on her farm.
(c) He will have to take it back to their farm before he does any other work.
(d) He will have to shoot it.
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Father Finn characterize Asbury?
(a) As intelligent
(b) As spiritually corrupt
(c) As ignorant
(d) As devout
3. In the story "Greenleaf," what bothers Mrs. May about Mrs. Greenleaf?
(a) Her discipline of her children
(b) Her laziness
(c) Her religion
(d) Her housekeeping
4. In the story "Greenleaf," what does Mrs. May think the reason is for E.T. and O.T. not coming to get their bull?
(a) They want to ruin her farm.
(b) They do not care about the bull.
(c) She is a woman.
(d) She was not clear how urgent the situation was.
5. In the story "Parker's Back," why are Sarah Ruth and Parker married in a courthouse?
(a) He does not believe in church weddings.
(b) She believes churches are idolatrous.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) They are in a hurry.
6. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker decide to do after his mother takes him to a religious revival?
(a) Get more tattoos
(b) Join the navy
(c) Attend church on a regular basis
(d) Begin drinking and fighting
7. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner make for Coleman when he first talks to him?
(a) A shack
(c) A pair of glasses
(d) A figurine of an animal
8. In "The Enduring Chill," where is Asbury returning to his hometown from at the beginning of the story?
(d) New York City
9. In the story "Greenleaf," what concerns Mrs. May about her sons getting married?
(a) She is worried they will marry trashy women who will inherit her farm.
(b) She is worried that they will leave her alone on the farm when they marry.
(c) She is concerned that they will marry black women.
(d) She is concerned that they will never marry.
10. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner use to keep his workers at the saw mill in line?
(a) Verbal threats
(b) A whip
(c) The police
(d) A knife
11. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner ultimately buried?
(a) New York City
(c) On Foley's land
12. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker say "long views" depress him?
(a) They make him feel as if someone is after him.
(b) They encourage people to take long walks.
(c) They remind him of what he does not have.
(d) They make him think of the future.
13. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what is Star's real name?
14. In the story "Greenleaf," why do the May boys begin fighting during dinner one night?
(a) Scofield insults Wesley's career.
(b) Wesley is angry at Scofield for upsetting their mother.
(c) They cannot decide who will be responsible for removing the bull from the property.
(d) Scofield is angry at Wesley for upsetting their mother.
15. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Asbury choose to spend his days on the family farm?
(a) At his sister's school
(b) In bed sleeping
(c) In the dairy working with the farm workers
(d) In his room writing
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Revelation," how does Mrs. Turpin characterize the teenage girl in the waiting room?
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard give Rufus a key to his home?
3. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say is the goal of all black people?
4. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner decide to go back down South?
5. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what gives Julian's mother pleasure about his "success"?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)