|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Star wear when she enters Thomas' room late one night?
(a) A robe
(b) A nightgown
(c) A short dress
2. In the story "Revelation," how does the doctor subdue the teenage girl?
(a) He sends her out of the office with her mother.
(b) He and the nurses hold her down.
(c) He straps her to a treatment table.
(d) He injects her with a sedative.
3. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why is Star jailed?
(b) For passing a bad check
(d) Stealing someone's identity
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," how old is Mary Fortune?
5. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what happens to Julian's mother after the black woman slaps her?
(a) She picks herself up and walks away with dignity.
(b) She returns home on the bus.
(c) She goes to the Y for her class.
(d) She has a stroke.
6. In the story "The Comforts of Home," where does Thomas finally find the sheriff?
(a) At the courthouse
(b) At the barber shop
(c) On the sidewalk outside of the barber shop
(d) In his police car
7. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Sheppard believe is the worst fault a person can have?
8. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner ultimately buried?
(a) On Foley's land
(d) New York City
9. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker say "long views" depress him?
(a) They encourage people to take long walks.
(b) They make him feel as if someone is after him.
(c) They remind him of what he does not have.
(d) They make him think of the future.
10. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker decide to do after his mother takes him to a religious revival?
(a) Get more tattoos
(b) Join the navy
(c) Attend church on a regular basis
(d) Begin drinking and fighting
11. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker say is different about the experience of having his back tattooed?
(a) He is more alert and awake.
(b) It is much more painful than his previous tattoos.
(c) It is much more meaningful than his previous tattoos.
(d) He is much less reluctant to have the tattoo done.
12. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Fortune think Mary Fortune allows her father to beat her?
(a) She is a weak child.
(b) She wants to anger her grandfather.
(c) She respects her father.
(d) She is afraid of her father.
13. In the story "A View of the Woods," who does Fortune plan to sell the Pitts' lawn lot to?
(a) Mary Fortune
(b) A home builder
(d) Mr. Pitts
14. In the story "A View of the Woods," what color does Fortune think the woods turn one evening?
15. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner recite as he attempts to leave his daughter's apartment for good?
(a) It's Judgement Day!
(b) The contents of the letter pinned in his pocket
(c) The Lord's Prayer
(d) Hail Marys
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Judgment Day," where does Tanner's daughter find him when she returns home from the grocery store?
2. In the story "Judgment Day," where does Tanner think he is as he falls down the stairs?
3. In the story "Greenleaf," what creature is plaguing Mrs. May's hedges?
4. In the story "The Comforts of Home," who kills Thomas' mother?
5. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker's future wife hit him the first time they meet?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)