|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Mrs. Fox suggest that Asbury write a novel about?
(c) The war
(d) The farm
2. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner not write his true feelings about NYC in his postcard to Coleman and Hooten ?
(a) His daughter has to mail the card and he does not want her to know.
(b) He plans on surprising his friends with a visit.
(c) He does not want his friends to know how unhappy he is.
(d) He does not want to hurt his daughter's feelings.
3. In the story "Greenleaf," what creature is plaguing Mrs. May's hedges?
(a) A bull
(b) A gopher
(c) A horse
(d) A cow
4. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does the black woman become angry with her son?
(a) She believes he is misbehaving on the bus.
(b) She believes he likes Julian's mother better than him.
(c) He refuses to sit with her.
(d) He is talking to a white woman.
5. In the story "The Enduring Chill," who does Asbury ask his mother to invite to their home?
(a) Mr. Bush
(c) Dr. Block
(d) A Catholic priest
6. In the story "Greenleaf," what does Mrs. May think the reason is for E.T. and O.T. not coming to get their bull?
(a) They do not care about the bull.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She was not clear how urgent the situation was.
(d) They want to ruin her farm.
7. In the story "A View of the Woods," which of the following is not an aspect of Tilman's business?
(a) Grocery store
(b) Dance hall
(c) Gas station
(d) New car dealership
8. In the story "Judgment Day," how does Tanner plan on traveling down South?
(a) In a taxi
(b) By walking
(c) On a freight train
(d) On a passenger train
9. In the story "Parker's Back," how does the tree catch on fire?
(a) A spark from a rock hits the tree.
(b) Parker lights it on fire.
(c) Lightening strikes the tree.
(d) Parker runs into it with the tractor.
10. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Sheppard believe is the worst fault a person can have?
11. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Foley suspect Tanner and Coleman of doing?
(a) Brewing bootlegged liquor
(b) Stealing his firewood
(c) Stealing his land
(d) Running a bar
12. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas put the gun in Star's purse?
(a) To frame her for his mother's murder
(b) To encourage her to use it to kill his mother
(c) So the police will find it and arrest her
(d) So she can use it for protection
13. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," who does Rufus believe is the only person who can save him?
(b) The police
14. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner do to keep his hands from shaking?
(a) Hold his hands behind his back
(b) Whittle figures out of wood
(c) Keep his fingers in his pockets
(d) Walk around
15. In the story "A View of the Woods," who does the Pitts family blame for Fortune wanting to sell the lot in front of their home?
(a) Mr. Pitts
(d) Mary Fortune
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell Fortune will happen if he leaves her in the car while he is in Tilman's?
2. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Foley predict will happen in the future?
3. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Thomas see as the "principle of order and the only thing that makes life bearable"?
4. In the story "Greenleaf," how does Mrs. May plan on trapping the bull?
5. In the story "Revelation," where does Mrs. Turpin go when Claud takes the farm workers home?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)