|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather when he confronts her about Pitts' beatings?
(a) Nobody beat her.
(b) She must respect her father.
(c) She loves her father.
(d) Pitts has the right to beat her.
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury not want to see Dr. Block?
(a) He does not believe that there is anything wrong with him.
(b) He believes his problem is beyond the doctor's comprehension.
(c) He does not want to be treated for his illness.
(d) He is willing himself to die.
3. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas' mother say she cannot send Star back to jail?
(a) It would be like sending her own sister to jail.
(b) It would be like sending her own child to jail.
(c) She believes Star did not commit any crime.
(d) She believes she can save Star's soul.
4. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why do the police first bring Rufus to Sheppard's home?
(a) He wants to confess his crime to Sheppard.
(b) He insists on telling Sheppard he is innocent.
(c) He hopes Sheppard will convince the police he was at home.
(d) He wants Sheppard to bail him out of jail.
5. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas put the gun in Star's purse?
(a) To encourage her to use it to kill his mother
(b) So she can use it for protection
(c) So the police will find it and arrest her
(d) To frame her for his mother's murder
6. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian's mother insist on doing when she exits the bus that Julian wishes she would not?
(a) Talk to the black woman sitting across from her on the bus
(b) Give the black boy sitting near her on the bus money
(c) Insult the black woman sitting across from her on the bus
(d) Kiss the black boy sitting near her on the bus
7. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Mrs. Fox believe is wrong with Asbury?
(a) She thinks he has the enduring chill.
(b) She thinks he is having a spiritual crisis.
(c) She thinks he is having a nervous breakdown.
(d) She thinks he has contracted a respiratory infection.
8. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what is Julian's career goal?
(c) Selling typewriters
(d) Selling automobile tires
9. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May believe she suddenly becomes so tired?
(a) The situation with the bull has drained all of her energy.
(b) She always has to wait on Mr. Greenleaf.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She has worked non-stop for 15 years.
10. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin always notice about people?
(a) Their feet
(b) Their social classes
(c) The ways they are dressed
(d) Their religions
11. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury try to converse with Father Finn about?
12. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner pretend to do when his daughter is leaving for the store?
(b) Watch television
13. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May go to the Greenleaf boys' farm?
(a) To tell them to come get their bull from her farm
(b) To pay them a friendly visit
(c) To tell them she has shot their bull
(d) To notify them that she is firing their father
14. In the story "Greenleaf," who does Mrs. May blame for Mr. Greenleaf having to shoot the bull?
(a) Scofield & Wesley
(b) Mr. Greenleaf
(c) O.T. & E.T.
15. In the story "Parker's Back," why are Sarah Ruth and Parker married in a courthouse?
(a) They are in a hurry.
(b) She believes churches are idolatrous.
(c) He does not believe in church weddings.
(d) She is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," what bothers Mrs. May about Mrs. Greenleaf?
2. In the story "Parker's Back," what condition does Sarah Ruth set for telling Parker her name?
3. In "The Enduring Chill," where is Asbury returning to his hometown from at the beginning of the story?
4. In the story "Judgment Day," where does Tanner's daughter find him when she returns home from the grocery store?
5. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker say "long views" depress him?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)