|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," which of the following is not an aspect of her family's past that impresses Julian's mother?
(a) Her great-grandfather was a plantation owner.
(b) Her grandfather was a governor.
(c) Her father was a Godhigh.
(d) Her mother was a Godhigh.
2. In the story "The Comforts of Home," how does Star's lawyer characterize her?
(a) As being a career criminal
(b) As needing to go into a mental institution
(c) As being a helpless victim of circumstance
(d) As having a psychopathic personality
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard think Rufus refused the shoe he had made for him?
(c) Out of spite
4. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why is Star jailed?
(b) Stealing someone's identity
(d) For passing a bad check
5. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Asbury choose to spend his days on the family farm?
(a) At his sister's school
(b) In his room writing
(c) In the dairy working with the farm workers
(d) In bed sleeping
6. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner make for Coleman when he first talks to him?
(a) A figurine of an animal
(c) A pair of glasses
(d) A shack
7. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what happens to Julian's mother after the black woman slaps her?
(a) She returns home on the bus.
(b) She goes to the Y for her class.
(c) She has a stroke.
(d) She picks herself up and walks away with dignity.
8. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what job does Mary George hold?
(a) She is a writer.
(b) She is a country school teacher.
(c) She is a playwrite.
(d) She is a country school principal.
9. In the story "Parker's Back," how does the tree catch on fire?
(a) Parker lights it on fire.
(b) A spark from a rock hits the tree.
(c) Parker runs into it with the tractor.
(d) Lightening strikes the tree.
10. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner living when his daughter finds him?
(a) In the saw mill
(b) In the family home
(c) In a shack he and Coleman built
(d) In a nursing home
11. In the story "Judgment Day," what does the black actor do the first time Tanner insults him?
(a) Talks to his daughter about Tanner's behavior
(b) Beats him
(c) Pushes him down the stairs
(d) Slams him against a wall
12. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker say "long views" depress him?
(a) They make him think of the future.
(b) They remind him of what he does not have.
(c) They encourage people to take long walks.
(d) They make him feel as if someone is after him.
13. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how does Julian characterize his trips with his mother to the Y?
(a) As a sacrifice for her happiness
(b) As torture
(c) As a necessary action to ensure her health
(d) As a pleasure
14. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard invite Rufus to live with he and Norton?
(a) To have another person to help with the household chores
(b) To teach Norton how to share
(c) To provide Rufus with a safe home
(d) To provide Norton with a live-in playmate
15. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather would happen to anyone who beat her?
(a) She would tell him about the person.
(b) She would kill them.
(c) She would beat them.
(d) She would report them to the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard give Rufus a key to his home?
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Rufus read to Norton?
3. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what impresses Julian's mother about the neighborhood she lives in?
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," how does Fortune characterize Mary Fortune when she attacks him?
5. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what is Thomas' mother's favorite nice thing to do for people?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)