|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner living when his daughter finds him?
(a) In a shack he and Coleman built
(b) In the saw mill
(c) In a nursing home
(d) In the family home
2. In the story "Greenleaf," what bothers Mrs. May about Mrs. Greenleaf?
(a) Her religion
(b) Her laziness
(c) Her housekeeping
(d) Her discipline of her children
3. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what hobby does Thomas' mother suggest that Star take up?
(c) Studying history
4. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Sheppard believe is the worst fault a person can have?
5. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian's mother insist on doing when she exits the bus that Julian wishes she would not?
(a) Insult the black woman sitting across from her on the bus
(b) Talk to the black woman sitting across from her on the bus
(c) Give the black boy sitting near her on the bus money
(d) Kiss the black boy sitting near her on the bus
6. In the story "Greenleaf," how do the May boys treat their mother?
(a) They mock her and take her for granted.
(b) They idolize her.
(c) They respect her and treat her well.
(d) They are vicious and violent towards her.
7. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what impresses Julian's mother about the neighborhood she lives in?
(a) It has not been racially integrated.
(b) It is in an affluent area.
(c) Only white people live in this area.
(d) It was fashionable forty years ago.
8. In the story "Revelation," how does Mrs. Turpin characterize the teenage girl in the waiting room?
(a) As haughty
(b) As ugly
(c) As beautiful
(d) As pitiful
9. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin do as she is working in the pig parlor?
(a) Vent her frustrations
(b) Pray to Jesus
(c) Hit the pigs
10. In the story "Greenleaf" how does Mrs. May die?
(a) She has a heart attack.
(b) She is gorged by the bull's horns.
(c) She runs into the bull with her car.
(d) She is accidentally shot by Mr. Greenleaf.
11. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner decide to go back down South?
(a) He wants to go work for Foley.
(b) He overhears his daughter say she plans on burying him in New York City.
(c) He does not like living next door to the black actor.
(d) He misses Coleman.
12. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," which of the following is not an action Julian considers to teach his mother a lesson?
(a) Bringing a black friend home to dinner
(b) Forcing her to strike up a conversation with a black woman
(c) Calling a black doctor to treat her on her death bed
(d) Dating a black woman
13. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why is Star jailed?
(c) Stealing someone's identity
(d) For passing a bad check
14. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Fortune think Mary Fortune allows her father to beat her?
(a) She respects her father.
(b) She is afraid of her father.
(c) She wants to anger her grandfather.
(d) She is a weak child.
15. In the story "Greenleaf," why do the May boys begin fighting during dinner one night?
(a) Scofield insults Wesley's career.
(b) Scofield is angry at Wesley for upsetting their mother.
(c) Wesley is angry at Scofield for upsetting their mother.
(d) They cannot decide who will be responsible for removing the bull from the property.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does it bother Julian's mother that the large black woman sits next to him?
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Rufus not want the shoe Sheppard has made for him?
3. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury leave for his mother to open when he dies?
4. In the story "Greenleaf," who does the bull belong to?
5. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner not write his true feelings about NYC in his postcard to Coleman and Hooten ?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)