|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas' mother say she cannot send Star back to jail?
(a) It would be like sending her own child to jail.
(b) She believes she can save Star's soul.
(c) It would be like sending her own sister to jail.
(d) She believes Star did not commit any crime.
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why do the police first bring Rufus to Sheppard's home?
(a) He wants to confess his crime to Sheppard.
(b) He hopes Sheppard will convince the police he was at home.
(c) He wants Sheppard to bail him out of jail.
(d) He insists on telling Sheppard he is innocent.
3. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner ultimately buried?
(a) On Foley's land
(c) New York City
4. In the story "Greenleaf," what relationship does the "colored man" on the Greenleaf boys' farm have with the Mays?
(a) He is responsible for the bull getting lose.
(b) He is a cousin to Mr. Greenleaf.
(c) He purchased an insurance policy from Scofield.
(d) He used to work for the Mays.
5. In the story "Parker's Back," what draws Parker to the design he plans on having tattooed on his back?
(a) Jesus' eyes
(b) The religious symbolism
(c) The burning bush
(d) The crown of thorns
6. In the story "Greenleaf," who does the bull belong to?
(a) Mrs. May
(b) Mr. Greenleaf
(c) Scofield & Wesley
(d) O.T. & E.T. Greenleaf
7. In the story "Parker's Back," where does Parker go after the tree catches on fire?
(a) To a tattoo parlor
(c) To his boss' house
(d) To a bar
8. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does the black woman become angry with her son?
(a) He refuses to sit with her.
(b) He is talking to a white woman.
(c) She believes he likes Julian's mother better than him.
(d) She believes he is misbehaving on the bus.
9. In the story "Parker's Back," what condition does Sarah Ruth set for telling Parker her name?
(a) She tells him he must believe in Jesus.
(b) She tells him he must bring peaches to her house.
(c) She tells him he must tell her what his first two initials stand for.
(d) She tells him he must not get any more tattoos.
10. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what hobby does Thomas' mother suggest that Star take up?
(b) Studying history
11. In the story "Revelation," why is Claud visiting the doctor?
(a) For a cold
(b) For an eye injury
(c) For a leg injury
(d) For a stomach ulcer
12. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner not write his true feelings about NYC in his postcard to Coleman and Hooten ?
(a) He does not want to hurt his daughter's feelings.
(b) He does not want his friends to know how unhappy he is.
(c) His daughter has to mail the card and he does not want her to know.
(d) He plans on surprising his friends with a visit.
13. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Father Finn characterize Asbury?
(a) As spiritually corrupt
(b) As ignorant
(c) As devout
(d) As intelligent
14. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian do when they get on the bus that embarrasses his mother?
(a) He sits next to a black man.
(b) He refuses to sit next to his mother.
(c) He takes off his hat.
(d) He loosens and takes off his tie.
15. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," which of the following is not an aspect of her family's past that impresses Julian's mother?
(a) Her father was a Godhigh.
(b) Her mother was a Godhigh.
(c) Her grandfather was a governor.
(d) Her great-grandfather was a plantation owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather when he confronts her about Pitts' beatings?
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury think the farm workers do not want him to drink from their jelly glass?
3. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Fortune think Mary Fortune allows her father to beat her?
4. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Foley suspect Tanner and Coleman of doing?
5. In the story "Revelation," which of the following is not a compliment the farm workers give Mrs. Turpin?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)