|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Norton often begin crying?
(a) Rufus hits him.
(b) He is jealous of Sheppard's attention towards Rufus.
(c) He misses his deceased mother.
(d) He does not want Rufus to live in the family's home.
2. In the story "Judgment Day," who owns the land that Tanner and Coleman live on?
(c) His daughter
3. In the story "Greenleaf," what bothers Mrs. May about Mrs. Greenleaf?
(a) Her religion
(b) Her housekeeping
(c) Her laziness
(d) Her discipline of her children
4. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what disability does Rufus have?
(a) He has only one foot.
(b) He only has one leg.
(c) He has a club foot.
(d) He walks with a limp.
5. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what happens to Julian's mother after the black woman slaps her?
(a) She picks herself up and walks away with dignity.
(b) She returns home on the bus.
(c) She has a stroke.
(d) She goes to the Y for her class.
6. In the story "Parker's Back," what must Parker say to get Sarah Ruth to let him back in the house?
(a) He is sorry.
(b) He will pay for the tractor.
(c) His full first name
(d) He loves her.
7. In the story "Revelation," how does Mrs. Turpin characterize the teenage girl in the waiting room?
(a) As haughty
(b) As pitiful
(c) As ugly
(d) As beautiful
8. In the story "Greenleaf" why does Mrs. May freeze when she sees the bull coming across the pasture?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She is waiting for it to charge her.
(c) She is in disbelief.
(d) She is shocked that Mr. Greenleaf is not behind it.
9. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner ultimately buried?
(b) On Foley's land
(d) New York City
10. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how do Randall and Morgan react when they see Asbury?
(a) They are shocked by how sickly he looks.
(b) They tell him he looks healthy.
(c) They tell him he looks like he is going to die.
(d) They are pleased to see their old friend.
11. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner recite as he attempts to leave his daughter's apartment for good?
(a) It's Judgement Day!
(b) The contents of the letter pinned in his pocket
(c) Hail Marys
(d) The Lord's Prayer
12. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what job does Mary George hold?
(a) She is a writer.
(b) She is a country school teacher.
(c) She is a playwrite.
(d) She is a country school principal.
13. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," which of the following is not an action Julian considers to teach his mother a lesson?
(a) Bringing a black friend home to dinner
(b) Calling a black doctor to treat her on her death bed
(c) Forcing her to strike up a conversation with a black woman
(d) Dating a black woman
14. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury's friend Goetz take him to help him deal with death?
(a) To a Hindu lecture
(b) To visit a Catholic priest
(c) To a hospital
(d) To a Buddhist temple
15. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Fortune attempt to buy for Mary Fortune to appease her?
(a) A country store
(b) A cow pasture
(c) A piece of candy
(d) A boat
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May go to the Greenleaf boys' farm?
2. In the story "Parker's Back," which of the following is not something that bothers Parker about his wife?
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why do the police first bring Rufus to Sheppard's home?
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather to remove his glasses?
5. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," how does Rufus initially respond to Sheppard's interest in him?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)