|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury do research for the play he is writing?
(a) A predominantly black neighborhood
(b) The Catholic church
(c) New York City
(d) The family's dairy
2. In the story "Greenleaf" how does Mrs. May die?
(a) She is gorged by the bull's horns.
(b) She has a heart attack.
(c) She runs into the bull with her car.
(d) She is accidentally shot by Mr. Greenleaf.
3. In the story "Judgment Day," where does Tanner think the black man living in his daughter's building originates from?
(b) North Carolina
(c) South Alabama
(d) New York City
4. In the story "Revelation," what does the white-trash woman propose doing to all black people?
(a) Treating them equally
(b) Making them slaves again
(c) Hiring them as farm hands
(d) Sending them back to Africa
5. In the story "Parker's Back," what is Sarah Ruth constantly trying to do?
(a) Convince Parker to stop being tattooed
(b) Convert Parker to Christianity
(c) Convince Parker to move in with her mother
(d) Get pregnant
6. In the story "Greenleaf," what creature is plaguing Mrs. May's hedges?
(a) A gopher
(b) A cow
(c) A horse
(d) A bull
7. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury hope to be buried when he dies?
(a) Near James Joyce's grave
(b) Near the milking room
(c) In New York City
(d) In the family graveyard
8. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Rufus not want the shoe Sheppard has made for him?
(a) He says he has ways of getting the shoe if he wants it.
(b) He thinks it shows he favors Rufus over Norton.
(c) It does not fit him properly.
(d) He believes it will hinder his ability to commit crimes.
9. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard give Rufus a key to his home?
(a) To show him he intends to adopt him
(b) To show his confidence in him
(c) To encourage him to come and play with his son
(d) To see if he will steal anything from Sheppard's home
10. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas' mother say she cannot send Star back to jail?
(a) She believes Star did not commit any crime.
(b) It would be like sending her own child to jail.
(c) It would be like sending her own sister to jail.
(d) She believes she can save Star's soul.
11. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Foley predict will happen in the future?
(a) White people will work for black people.
(b) Black people will take over the government.
(c) Black people will work for white people.
(d) Tanner will be arrested for squatting on his land.
12. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May believe she suddenly becomes so tired?
(a) She always has to wait on Mr. Greenleaf.
(b) She is ill.
(c) The situation with the bull has drained all of her energy.
(d) She has worked non-stop for 15 years.
13. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Star steal from Thomas?
(b) His mother
(c) His historical papers
(d) His father's gun
14. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," who does Rufus believe is the only person who can save him?
(d) The police
15. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what disability does Rufus have?
(a) He walks with a limp.
(b) He only has one leg.
(c) He has only one foot.
(d) He has a club foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does the black woman become angry with her son?
2. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian's mother do to punctuate her statement that it is hot?
3. In the story "The Comforts of Home," how does Star gain entrance into Thomas' home the second time?
4. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker propose to try and encourage Sarah Ruth to look at his tattoos?
5. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker decide to do after his mother takes him to a religious revival?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)