|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Norton often begin crying?
(a) He misses his deceased mother.
(b) He does not want Rufus to live in the family's home.
(c) Rufus hits him.
(d) He is jealous of Sheppard's attention towards Rufus.
2. In the story "Parker's Back," how does the tree catch on fire?
(a) A spark from a rock hits the tree.
(b) Parker runs into it with the tractor.
(c) Lightening strikes the tree.
(d) Parker lights it on fire.
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Sheppard do at the reformatory?
(a) He is a counselor.
(b) He is the recreational director.
(c) He coaches a little league baseball team.
(d) He teaches the students.
4. In the story "Judgment Day," what does the black actor do the first time Tanner insults him?
(a) Pushes him down the stairs
(b) Beats him
(c) Slams him against a wall
(d) Talks to his daughter about Tanner's behavior
5. In the story "Greenleaf," how does Mrs. May characterize the Greenleaf boys when she discovers it is their bull on her farm?
(a) As cruel
(b) As lazy
(c) As ungrateful
(d) As irresponsible
6. In the story "Greenleaf," why did Mrs. May move to the farm?
(a) It was the only property she could afford to buy when her husband died.
(b) She wanted to raise her two sons in the country rather than in the city.
(c) It was the only property her husband left her when he died.
(d) She and her husband wanted to start a dairy farm.
7. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury's friend Goetz take him to help him deal with death?
(a) To a hospital
(b) To visit a Catholic priest
(c) To a Buddhist temple
(d) To a Hindu lecture
8. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Mrs. Fox believe is wrong with Asbury?
(a) She thinks he has contracted a respiratory infection.
(b) She thinks he is having a nervous breakdown.
(c) She thinks he has the enduring chill.
(d) She thinks he is having a spiritual crisis.
9. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how much did Julian's mother pay for her new hat?
10. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what illness does Dr. Block diagnose Asbury as having?
(a) undulant fever
(b) a nervous breakdown
(d) a respiratory infection
11. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker propose to try and encourage Sarah Ruth to look at his tattoos?
(a) Getting a tattoo of the Bible on his back
(b) Seeing the religious symbolism in his tattoos
(c) Getting a tattoo of her on his back
(d) Getting a tattoo of Jesus on his back
12. In "The Enduring Chill," where is Asbury returning to his hometown from at the beginning of the story?
(c) New York City
13. In the story "A View of the Woods," which of the following is not an aspect of Tilman's business?
(a) New car dealership
(b) Gas station
(c) Dance hall
(d) Grocery store
14. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what job does Mary George hold?
(a) She is a country school teacher.
(b) She is a playwrite.
(c) She is a country school principal.
(d) She is a writer.
15. In the story "A View of the Woods," how old is Mary Fortune?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why is Star jailed?
2. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what impresses Julian's mother about the neighborhood she lives in?
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Rufus not want the shoe Sheppard has made for him?
4. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker not want to have his back tattooed?
5. In the story "A View of the Woods," who does the Pitts family blame for Fortune wanting to sell the lot in front of their home?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)