|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Fortune say he would never hit Mary Fortune?
(a) He is in love with the girl.
(b) She is intelligent and can be taught.
(c) She is his likeness.
(d) She treats the girl as if she is his own.
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard give Rufus a key to his home?
(a) To encourage him to come and play with his son
(b) To show his confidence in him
(c) To see if he will steal anything from Sheppard's home
(d) To show him he intends to adopt him
3. In the story "Revelation," what do the Turpins do upon returning home from the doctor's office?
(a) Go to bed
(b) Pick up the farm workers
(c) Feed the pigs
(d) Eat dinner
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," what ultimately happens to Mary Fortune?
(a) She runs away.
(b) Her father kills her.
(c) She stops spending time with Fortune.
(d) Her grandfather kills her.
5. In the story "Revelation," what does the teenage girl call Mrs. Turpin?
(a) An old wart hog
(b) A demon pig
(c) A filthy pig
(d) A wart hog from hell
6. In the story "Parker's Back," what condition does Sarah Ruth set for telling Parker her name?
(a) She tells him he must bring peaches to her house.
(b) She tells him he must believe in Jesus.
(c) She tells him he must not get any more tattoos.
(d) She tells him he must tell her what his first two initials stand for.
7. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner pretend to do when his daughter is leaving for the store?
(d) Watch television
8. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what gives Julian's mother pleasure about his "success"?
(a) She had the money to provide for him.
(b) He has returned home to her.
(c) He was able to attend a good college.
(d) She has struggled to ensure he would have a good upbringing.
9. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury's friend Goetz take him to help him deal with death?
(a) To a Hindu lecture
(b) To a Buddhist temple
(c) To visit a Catholic priest
(d) To a hospital
10. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how long has Julian been out of college?
(a) He is still in college.
(b) One year
(c) Ten years
(d) One month
11. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," which of the following is not an action Julian considers to teach his mother a lesson?
(a) Dating a black woman
(b) Bringing a black friend home to dinner
(c) Forcing her to strike up a conversation with a black woman
(d) Calling a black doctor to treat her on her death bed
12. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what happens to Julian's mother after the black woman slaps her?
(a) She picks herself up and walks away with dignity.
(b) She has a stroke.
(c) She goes to the Y for her class.
(d) She returns home on the bus.
13. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner ultimately buried?
(a) New York City
(b) On Foley's land
14. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Rufus teach Norton about that angers Sheppard?
15. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does the black woman become angry with her son?
(a) He is talking to a white woman.
(b) He refuses to sit with her.
(c) She believes he is misbehaving on the bus.
(d) She believes he likes Julian's mother better than him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does it bother Julian's mother that the large black woman sits next to him?
2. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Pitts say to Mary Fortune before he whips her?
3. In the story "Greenleaf," how do the May boys treat their mother?
4. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what is Rufus Johnson's IQ?
5. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Asbury choose to spend his days on the family farm?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)