|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker say is different about the experience of having his back tattooed?
(a) It is much more meaningful than his previous tattoos.
(b) He is much less reluctant to have the tattoo done.
(c) It is much more painful than his previous tattoos.
(d) He is more alert and awake.
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what illness does Dr. Block diagnose Asbury as having?
(a) a respiratory infection
(b) a nervous breakdown
(d) undulant fever
3. In the story "Greenleaf," what does Scofield do for a living?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is an insurance salesman specializing in insurance for white people.
(c) He is a college professor.
(d) He is an insurance salesman specializing in insurance for black people.
4. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard not go into Norton's room after talking with Rufus about whether or not he was at the movies with his son?
(a) He does not want Rufus to think he does not trust him.
(b) He is angry at Norton.
(c) He favors Rufus over Norton.
(d) He does not want to know what Rufus did instead of going to the movies.
5. In the story "Greenleaf," what does Mrs. May think the reason is for E.T. and O.T. not coming to get their bull?
(a) She was not clear how urgent the situation was.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) They do not care about the bull.
(d) They want to ruin her farm.
6. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker say "long views" depress him?
(a) They make him think of the future.
(b) They remind him of what he does not have.
(c) They make him feel as if someone is after him.
(d) They encourage people to take long walks.
7. In the story "Revelation," what does the teenage girl do as Mrs. Turpin is thanking Jesus for her husband?
(a) Begin screaming
(b) Throw a book at her
(c) Scowl at her
(d) Make a low growling sound
8. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Star threaten to do if Thomas throws her out of the house?
(a) Report him to the police
(b) Steal their money
(c) Commit suicide
(d) Kill his mother
9. In the story "Revelation," how does Mrs. Turpin characterize the farm workers' compliments?
(a) As mocking
(b) As sincere
(c) As flattering
(d) As insincere
10. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what impresses Julian's mother about the neighborhood she lives in?
(a) It was fashionable forty years ago.
(b) It has not been racially integrated.
(c) Only white people live in this area.
(d) It is in an affluent area.
11. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather when he confronts her about Pitts' beatings?
(a) Pitts has the right to beat her.
(b) Nobody beat her.
(c) She loves her father.
(d) She must respect her father.
12. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Norton spend so much time looking through the telescope?
(a) He thinks he sees his mother in the stars.
(b) He wants to be an astronaut.
(c) He believes his father will like him more if he does so.
(d) He is interested in astronomy.
13. In the story "Greenleaf," what had the Greenleaf boys done to distinguish themselves?
(a) Helped their father get a job
(b) Supported their mother's faith healing
(c) Gone into farming
(d) Gone into the army
14. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas' mother say she cannot send Star back to jail?
(a) She believes she can save Star's soul.
(b) It would be like sending her own child to jail.
(c) She believes Star did not commit any crime.
(d) It would be like sending her own sister to jail.
15. In the story "Revelation," what do the Turpins do upon returning home from the doctor's office?
(a) Feed the pigs
(b) Eat dinner
(c) Go to bed
(d) Pick up the farm workers
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Pitts say to Mary Fortune before he whips her?
2. In the story "A View of the Woods," which of the following is not an aspect of Tilman's business?
3. In "The Enduring Chill," where is Asbury returning to his hometown from at the beginning of the story?
4. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard give Rufus a key to his home?
5. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker propose to try and encourage Sarah Ruth to look at his tattoos?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)