|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Father Finn characterize Asbury?
(a) As devout
(b) As ignorant
(c) As intelligent
(d) As spiritually corrupt
2. In the story "Revelation," what does the teenage girl call Mrs. Turpin?
(a) A demon pig
(b) An old wart hog
(c) A filthy pig
(d) A wart hog from hell
3. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker say is different about the experience of having his back tattooed?
(a) He is more alert and awake.
(b) It is much more painful than his previous tattoos.
(c) He is much less reluctant to have the tattoo done.
(d) It is much more meaningful than his previous tattoos.
4. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian's mother do to punctuate her statement that it is hot?
(a) Repeat her statement loudly
(b) Begins fanning herself with a newspaper
(c) Takes out a Japanese fan
(d) Take off her hat
5. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Asbury choose to spend his days on the family farm?
(a) In the dairy working with the farm workers
(b) In bed sleeping
(c) At his sister's school
(d) In his room writing
6. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas' mother say she cannot send Star back to jail?
(a) She believes Star did not commit any crime.
(b) She believes she can save Star's soul.
(c) It would be like sending her own child to jail.
(d) It would be like sending her own sister to jail.
7. In the story "Greenleaf," why did Mrs. May move to the farm?
(a) It was the only property she could afford to buy when her husband died.
(b) She wanted to raise her two sons in the country rather than in the city.
(c) It was the only property her husband left her when he died.
(d) She and her husband wanted to start a dairy farm.
8. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Foley predict will happen in the future?
(a) Black people will work for white people.
(b) Black people will take over the government.
(c) White people will work for black people.
(d) Tanner will be arrested for squatting on his land.
9. In the story "Revelation," which of the following is not a compliment the farm workers give Mrs. Turpin?
(a) She is pretty.
(b) She is generous.
(c) She is stout.
(d) She is kind.
10. In the story "Greenleaf," how do the May boys treat their mother?
(a) They mock her and take her for granted.
(b) They respect her and treat her well.
(c) They idolize her.
(d) They are vicious and violent towards her.
11. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian do when they get on the bus that embarrasses his mother?
(a) He refuses to sit next to his mother.
(b) He loosens and takes off his tie.
(c) He takes off his hat.
(d) He sits next to a black man.
12. In the story "Parker's Back," what condition does Sarah Ruth set for telling Parker her name?
(a) She tells him he must believe in Jesus.
(b) She tells him he must tell her what his first two initials stand for.
(c) She tells him he must bring peaches to her house.
(d) She tells him he must not get any more tattoos.
13. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Fortune attempt to buy for Mary Fortune to appease her?
(a) A boat
(b) A country store
(c) A piece of candy
(d) A cow pasture
14. In the story "Revelation," what do the Turpins do upon returning home from the doctor's office?
(a) Eat dinner
(b) Go to bed
(c) Pick up the farm workers
(d) Feed the pigs
15. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell Fortune will happen if he leaves her in the car while he is in Tilman's?
(a) She will be beaten by her father.
(b) She will cry.
(c) She will leave.
(d) She will never speak to him again.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," what creature is plaguing Mrs. May's hedges?
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard not go into Norton's room after talking with Rufus about whether or not he was at the movies with his son?
3. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," which of the following is not an aspect of her family's past that impresses Julian's mother?
4. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does the black woman become angry with her son?
5. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker not want to have his back tattooed?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)