|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Pitts say to Mary Fortune before he whips her?
(a) Come with me.
(b) Nobody beat me.
(c) I'm going to whip you.
(d) You're in big trouble.
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury think the farm workers do not want him to drink from their jelly glass?
(a) He believes they do not want to get in trouble for drinking the milk.
(b) He believes they do not want to share their milk with him.
(c) He believes they are afraid of him.
(d) He believes they think it is improper for white and black people to share a glass.
3. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Father Finn characterize Asbury?
(a) As devout
(b) As ignorant
(c) As spiritually corrupt
(d) As intelligent
4. In the story "Revelation," where does Mary Grace attend college?
(b) Massachusetts State
(c) The local community college
5. In the story "Greenleaf," who does Mrs. May blame for Mr. Greenleaf having to shoot the bull?
(a) Scofield & Wesley
(b) Mr. Greenleaf
(c) O.T. & E.T.
6. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," where does Julian say that "true culture" lies?
(a) In literature
(b) In the heart
(c) In the city
(d) In the mind
7. In the story "The Comforts of Home," how does Star gain entrance into Thomas' home the second time?
(a) She is placed there by social services.
(b) She is arrested and his mother bails her out of jail.
(c) She is thrown out of a boarding house for being drunk.
(d) She rents a room from his mother.
8. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Norton often begin crying?
(a) He does not want Rufus to live in the family's home.
(b) He is jealous of Sheppard's attention towards Rufus.
(c) He misses his deceased mother.
(d) Rufus hits him.
9. In the story "Revelation," which of the following is not a compliment the farm workers give Mrs. Turpin?
(a) She is stout.
(b) She is generous.
(c) She is kind.
(d) She is pretty.
10. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does it bother Julian's mother that the large black woman sits next to him?
(a) She does not want to have to interact with the woman's son.
(b) She is afraid Julian will talk to the woman.
(c) It seems as if she and the woman are swapping sons.
(d) It seems as if Julian likes the woman better than her.
11. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury's sister travel to the train station with his mother?
(a) His mother is afraid to see Asbury by herself.
(b) His mother does not like going out alone at night.
(c) She wants to make sure that her mother gets to the train station safely.
(d) She wants to greet Asbury when he arrives.
12. In the story "A View of the Woods," who does Mary Fortune look the most like in her family?
(a) Her grandfather
(b) Her mother
(c) Her father
(d) Her sister
13. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what impresses Julian's mother about the neighborhood she lives in?
(a) It has not been racially integrated.
(b) It was fashionable forty years ago.
(c) It is in an affluent area.
(d) Only white people live in this area.
14. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker begin getting tattoos?
(a) To discover himself
(b) To attract women
(c) To distinguish himself
(d) To express himself
15. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather would happen to anyone who beat her?
(a) She would report them to the police.
(b) She would tell him about the person.
(c) She would kill them.
(d) She would beat them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury convince the farm workers to do that contaminates the milk?
2. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian's mother insist on doing when she exits the bus that Julian wishes she would not?
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Rufus read to Norton?
4. In the story "Revelation," how does Mrs. Turpin characterize the teenage girl in the waiting room?
5. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin always notice about people?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)