|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Asbury choose to spend his days on the family farm?
(a) In his room writing
(b) At his sister's school
(c) In the dairy working with the farm workers
(d) In bed sleeping
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury try to converse with Father Finn about?
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Rufus teach Norton about that angers Sheppard?
4. In the story "Revelation," why is Claud visiting the doctor?
(a) For a cold
(b) For an eye injury
(c) For a leg injury
(d) For a stomach ulcer
5. In the story "Greenleaf," why did Mrs. May move to the farm?
(a) She wanted to raise her two sons in the country rather than in the city.
(b) It was the only property her husband left her when he died.
(c) It was the only property she could afford to buy when her husband died.
(d) She and her husband wanted to start a dairy farm.
6. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," where did Sheppard meet Rufus Johnson?
(a) On the street
(b) At a city park
(c) In prison
(d) At a reformatory
7. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," which of the following is not an aspect of her family's past that impresses Julian's mother?
(a) Her mother was a Godhigh.
(b) Her father was a Godhigh.
(c) Her great-grandfather was a plantation owner.
(d) Her grandfather was a governor.
8. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury convince the farm workers to do that contaminates the milk?
(a) Smoke in the milking room
(b) Feed the cows onions
(c) Milk the cows improperly
(d) Drink from the containers of fresh milk
9. In the story "Greenleaf" why does Mrs. May freeze when she sees the bull coming across the pasture?
(a) She is shocked that Mr. Greenleaf is not behind it.
(b) She is waiting for it to charge her.
(c) She is in disbelief.
(d) She is frightened.
10. In the story "The Enduring Chill," how does Father Finn characterize Asbury?
(a) As intelligent
(b) As spiritually corrupt
(c) As devout
(d) As ignorant
11. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what is the name of the young boy who sits next to Julian's mother?
12. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker propose to try and encourage Sarah Ruth to look at his tattoos?
(a) Getting a tattoo of her on his back
(b) Getting a tattoo of the Bible on his back
(c) Getting a tattoo of Jesus on his back
(d) Seeing the religious symbolism in his tattoos
13. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," how does Rufus initially respond to Sheppard's interest in him?
(a) He is silent.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He is eager to befriend Sheppard.
(d) He is resistant.
14. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin do as she is working in the pig parlor?
(a) Hit the pigs
(b) Vent her frustrations
(d) Pray to Jesus
15. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how does Julian characterize his trips with his mother to the Y?
(a) As torture
(b) As a sacrifice for her happiness
(c) As a pleasure
(d) As a necessary action to ensure her health
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Revelation," what do the Turpins do upon returning home from the doctor's office?
2. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," where does Julian say that "true culture" lies?
3. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin notice about the old woman sitting next to the child?
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Pitts say to Mary Fortune before he whips her?
5. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what hobby does Thomas' mother suggest that Star take up?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)