|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Mrs. Fox believe is wrong with Asbury?
(a) She thinks he has the enduring chill.
(b) She thinks he has contracted a respiratory infection.
(c) She thinks he is having a nervous breakdown.
(d) She thinks he is having a spiritual crisis.
2. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say distinguishes her farm's pigs from others?
(a) They have their own barn.
(b) They have more meat on them.
(c) They are clean.
(d) They only raise a few of them a year.
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Sheppard put in the attic for Rufus to use?
(a) A bed
(c) A telescope
(d) A microscope
4. In the story "Parker's Back," what condition does Sarah Ruth set for telling Parker her name?
(a) She tells him he must not get any more tattoos.
(b) She tells him he must bring peaches to her house.
(c) She tells him he must tell her what his first two initials stand for.
(d) She tells him he must believe in Jesus.
5. In the story "Judgment Day," where does Tanner think the black man living in his daughter's building originates from?
(b) New York City
(c) South Alabama
(d) North Carolina
6. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas put the gun in Star's purse?
(a) To frame her for his mother's murder
(b) To encourage her to use it to kill his mother
(c) So the police will find it and arrest her
(d) So she can use it for protection
7. In the story "A View of the Woods," what color does Fortune think the woods turn one evening?
8. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard invite Rufus to live with he and Norton?
(a) To teach Norton how to share
(b) To provide Norton with a live-in playmate
(c) To provide Rufus with a safe home
(d) To have another person to help with the household chores
9. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what is the name of the young boy who sits next to Julian's mother?
10. In the story "Greenleaf," who does Mrs. May blame for Mr. Greenleaf having to shoot the bull?
(a) Scofield & Wesley
(c) Mr. Greenleaf
(d) O.T. & E.T.
11. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does Julian prefer the old family mansion?
(a) It is far from where he currently lives.
(b) It represents the destruction of the family heritage.
(c) It represents his family's history.
(d) It is old and threadbare.
12. In the story "The Comforts of Home," where does Thomas finally find the sheriff?
(a) On the sidewalk outside of the barber shop
(b) At the courthouse
(c) At the barber shop
(d) In his police car
13. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what hobby does Thomas' mother suggest that Star take up?
(b) Studying history
14. In the story "Parker's Back," where does Parker meet his wife?
(a) At church
(b) On the roadside where his car broke down
(c) At a bar
(d) At his boss' farm
15. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Sarah Ruth throw Parker out of the house?
(a) She is ashamed of him.
(b) She believes his tattoo is idolatry.
(c) She believes he cannot be saved.
(d) She is angry that he destroyed his boss' tractor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Norton often begin crying?
2. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian's mother do to punctuate her statement that it is hot?
3. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner pretend to do when his daughter is leaving for the store?
4. In the story "Parker's Back," what is notable about Parker's arms?
5. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May go to the Greenleaf boys' farm?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)