|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how does Julian's mother characterize all children?
(a) They are the future of America.
(b) White children are more precious to her than black children.
(c) They are all cute to her.
(d) They are all equal to her.
2. In the story "Parker's Back," why are Sarah Ruth and Parker married in a courthouse?
(a) He does not believe in church weddings.
(b) They are in a hurry.
(c) She believes churches are idolatrous.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what is the name of the young boy who sits next to Julian's mother?
4. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what is Star's real name?
5. In the story "Revelation," what do the farm workers think happened to Mrs. Turpin's eye?
(a) They believe Mr. Turpin hit her.
(b) They believe she fell down and hurt herself.
(c) They believe she was hit in the face by a book.
(d) They believe she was in a car accident.
6. In the story "The Comforts of Home," which of the following is not one of the suggestions Thomas makes for getting rid of Star?
(a) Renting her a room in boarding house
(b) Having her arrested
(c) Taking her to the hospital
(d) Sending her to a hotel
7. In the story "Parker's Back," what is Sarah Ruth constantly trying to do?
(a) Get pregnant
(b) Convert Parker to Christianity
(c) Convince Parker to move in with her mother
(d) Convince Parker to stop being tattooed
8. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Mrs. Fox suggest inviting Mr. Bush to the house?
(a) She knows he and Asbury collect coins and thinks they would enjoy talking.
(b) She believes he and Asbury could become friends.
(c) She wants to save Asbury's soul.
(d) She sees him as an intellectual and thinks he and Asbury would enjoy talking.
9. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner use to keep his workers at the saw mill in line?
(a) The police
(b) A knife
(c) A whip
(d) Verbal threats
10. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Sheppard do at the reformatory?
(a) He is a counselor.
(b) He coaches a little league baseball team.
(c) He teaches the students.
(d) He is the recreational director.
11. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," where did Sheppard meet Rufus Johnson?
(a) On the street
(b) At a reformatory
(c) In prison
(d) At a city park
12. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury leave for his mother to open when he dies?
(a) A letter written in two notebooks
(b) A collection of his poems
(c) A present from New York City
(d) The manuscript of his play
13. In the story "Revelation," how does Mrs. Turpin characterize the farm workers' compliments?
(a) As sincere
(b) As flattering
(c) As insincere
(d) As mocking
14. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner not write his true feelings about NYC in his postcard to Coleman and Hooten ?
(a) He does not want to hurt his daughter's feelings.
(b) He does not want his friends to know how unhappy he is.
(c) He plans on surprising his friends with a visit.
(d) His daughter has to mail the card and he does not want her to know.
15. In the story "Greenleaf," what bothers Mrs. May about Mrs. Greenleaf?
(a) Her religion
(b) Her discipline of her children
(c) Her housekeeping
(d) Her laziness
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner recite as he attempts to leave his daughter's apartment for good?
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury hope to be buried when he dies?
3. In "The Enduring Chill," where is Asbury returning to his hometown from at the beginning of the story?
4. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what illness does Dr. Block diagnose Asbury as having?
5. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas put the gun in Star's purse?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)