|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," why do the May boys begin fighting during dinner one night?
(a) They cannot decide who will be responsible for removing the bull from the property.
(b) Scofield insults Wesley's career.
(c) Wesley is angry at Scofield for upsetting their mother.
(d) Scofield is angry at Wesley for upsetting their mother.
2. In the story "A View of the Woods," how does Fortune characterize Mary Fortune when she attacks him?
(a) As pure Fortune
(b) As an evil child
(c) As a traitor
(d) As pure Pitts
3. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May believe she suddenly becomes so tired?
(a) She has worked non-stop for 15 years.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She always has to wait on Mr. Greenleaf.
(d) The situation with the bull has drained all of her energy.
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Fortune say he would never hit Mary Fortune?
(a) She is his likeness.
(b) She treats the girl as if she is his own.
(c) She is intelligent and can be taught.
(d) He is in love with the girl.
5. In the story "Greenleaf," what relationship does the "colored man" on the Greenleaf boys' farm have with the Mays?
(a) He used to work for the Mays.
(b) He is responsible for the bull getting lose.
(c) He purchased an insurance policy from Scofield.
(d) He is a cousin to Mr. Greenleaf.
6. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin always notice about people?
(a) Their social classes
(b) The ways they are dressed
(c) Their feet
(d) Their religions
7. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what is Rufus Johnson's IQ?
8. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard invite Rufus to live with he and Norton?
(a) To provide Rufus with a safe home
(b) To teach Norton how to share
(c) To have another person to help with the household chores
(d) To provide Norton with a live-in playmate
9. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May go to the Greenleaf boys' farm?
(a) To notify them that she is firing their father
(b) To tell them to come get their bull from her farm
(c) To pay them a friendly visit
(d) To tell them she has shot their bull
10. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard not go into Norton's room after talking with Rufus about whether or not he was at the movies with his son?
(a) He does not want Rufus to think he does not trust him.
(b) He is angry at Norton.
(c) He favors Rufus over Norton.
(d) He does not want to know what Rufus did instead of going to the movies.
11. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why do the police first bring Rufus to Sheppard's home?
(a) He wants Sheppard to bail him out of jail.
(b) He hopes Sheppard will convince the police he was at home.
(c) He wants to confess his crime to Sheppard.
(d) He insists on telling Sheppard he is innocent.
12. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Fortune do to teach Mary Fortune a lesson?
(a) Has her father arrested for assault
(b) Beats her head against a rock
(c) Beats her with his belt
(d) Sells the land in front of the Pitts home
13. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury convince the farm workers to do that contaminates the milk?
(a) Drink from the containers of fresh milk
(b) Smoke in the milking room
(c) Milk the cows improperly
(d) Feed the cows onions
14. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker not want to have his back tattooed?
(a) He is concerned it will be too painful.
(b) He cannot easily see it.
(c) He wants to leave one area of his body blank.
(d) He is dissatisfied with the tattoos on the front of his body.
15. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Thomas do for a living?
(a) He is a history professor.
(b) He works for the sheriff's office.
(c) He lives off of an inheritance from his father.
(d) He is a historian.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," what ultimately happens to Mary Fortune?
2. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury think the farm workers do not want him to drink from their jelly glass?
3. In the story "The Comforts of Home," where does Thomas finally find the sheriff?
4. In the story "Greenleaf," why did Mrs. May move to the farm?
5. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard think Rufus refused the shoe he had made for him?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)