|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what nickname does Star give Thomas?
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard think Rufus refused the shoe he had made for him?
(c) Out of spite
3. In the story "Revelation," how does the doctor subdue the teenage girl?
(a) He injects her with a sedative.
(b) He sends her out of the office with her mother.
(c) He straps her to a treatment table.
(d) He and the nurses hold her down.
4. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why is Star jailed?
(a) For passing a bad check
(b) Stealing someone's identity
5. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how much did Julian's mother pay for her new hat?
6. In the story "A View of the Woods," which of the following is not an aspect of Tilman's business?
(a) Dance hall
(b) Grocery store
(c) Gas station
(d) New car dealership
7. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why must Julian's mother go to the Y each week?
(a) She is working out in their exercise facility.
(b) Her doctor has entered her in a weight loss class there.
(c) Her doctor has entered her in a stress management program there.
(d) She is attending a seminar on race relations.
8. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what gives Julian's mother pleasure about his "success"?
(a) She had the money to provide for him.
(b) He was able to attend a good college.
(c) He has returned home to her.
(d) She has struggled to ensure he would have a good upbringing.
9. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what illness does Dr. Block diagnose Asbury as having?
(a) a nervous breakdown
(c) undulant fever
(d) a respiratory infection
10. In the story "Judgment Day," what does the black actor do the first time Tanner insults him?
(a) Beats him
(b) Pushes him down the stairs
(c) Talks to his daughter about Tanner's behavior
(d) Slams him against a wall
11. In the story "Parker's Back," what must Parker say to get Sarah Ruth to let him back in the house?
(a) He is sorry.
(b) He will pay for the tractor.
(c) His full first name
(d) He loves her.
12. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian say to the black man sitting next to him to try and upset his mother?
(a) He asks the man about his beliefs on integration.
(b) He begins a political discussion with the man.
(c) He asks the man to share his newspaper.
(d) He asks the man if he has a light.
13. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury leave for his mother to open when he dies?
(a) A collection of his poems
(b) The manuscript of his play
(c) A present from New York City
(d) A letter written in two notebooks
14. In the story "Judgment Day," how does Tanner plan on traveling down South?
(a) On a freight train
(b) In a taxi
(c) On a passenger train
(d) By walking
15. In the story "Greenleaf" how does Mrs. May die?
(a) She has a heart attack.
(b) She is gorged by the bull's horns.
(c) She is accidentally shot by Mr. Greenleaf.
(d) She runs into the bull with her car.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas' mother say she cannot send Star back to jail?
2. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas threaten to leave his mother's home?
3. In the story "Revelation," what does the teenage girl do as Mrs. Turpin is thanking Jesus for her husband?
4. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian's mother do to punctuate her statement that it is hot?
5. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner decide to go back down South?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)