|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Parker's Back," why are Sarah Ruth and Parker married in a courthouse?
(a) They are in a hurry.
(b) He does not believe in church weddings.
(c) She believes churches are idolatrous.
(d) She is pregnant.
2. In the story "Greenleaf" why does Mrs. May freeze when she sees the bull coming across the pasture?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She is shocked that Mr. Greenleaf is not behind it.
(c) She is waiting for it to charge her.
(d) She is in disbelief.
3. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner ultimately buried?
(a) On Foley's land
(b) New York City
4. In the story "Revelation," how does the doctor subdue the teenage girl?
(a) He straps her to a treatment table.
(b) He sends her out of the office with her mother.
(c) He and the nurses hold her down.
(d) He injects her with a sedative.
5. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how does Julian's mother characterize all children?
(a) White children are more precious to her than black children.
(b) They are the future of America.
(c) They are all cute to her.
(d) They are all equal to her.
6. In the story "Revelation," where does Mrs. Turpin go when Claud takes the farm workers home?
(a) To hose down the pigs
(b) Back to bed
(c) To gather hay
(d) To feed the pigs
7. In the story "A View of the Woods," how does Fortune die?
(a) He is killed by Pitts.
(b) He has a heart attack.
(c) He is beaten to death by Mary Fortune.
(d) He falls off an embankment.
8. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Star wear when she enters Thomas' room late one night?
(a) A robe
(b) A nightgown
(c) A short dress
9. In the story "Revelation," what do the Turpins do upon returning home from the doctor's office?
(a) Go to bed
(b) Pick up the farm workers
(c) Feed the pigs
(d) Eat dinner
10. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker's future wife hit him the first time they meet?
(a) He says something filthy to her.
(b) He tries attacking her.
(c) He curses when he hurts his hand.
(d) He comes on to her in an inappropriate way.
11. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what impresses Julian's mother about the neighborhood she lives in?
(a) It has not been racially integrated.
(b) It was fashionable forty years ago.
(c) Only white people live in this area.
(d) It is in an affluent area.
12. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas put the gun in Star's purse?
(a) To frame her for his mother's murder
(b) So the police will find it and arrest her
(c) So she can use it for protection
(d) To encourage her to use it to kill his mother
13. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how long has Julian been out of college?
(a) Ten years
(b) One month
(c) He is still in college.
(d) One year
14. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Fortune do to teach Mary Fortune a lesson?
(a) Beats her with his belt
(b) Beats her head against a rock
(c) Has her father arrested for assault
(d) Sells the land in front of the Pitts home
15. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury not want to see Dr. Block?
(a) He does not want to be treated for his illness.
(b) He believes his problem is beyond the doctor's comprehension.
(c) He does not believe that there is anything wrong with him.
(d) He is willing himself to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what is Rufus Johnson's IQ?
2. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Sarah Ruth throw Parker out of the house?
3. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury hope to be buried when he dies?
4. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather to remove his glasses?
5. In the story "Parker's Back," what is notable about Parker's arms?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)