|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "The Enduring Chill" who does Asbury say is his god?
(d) the Holy Ghost
2. In the story "A View of the Woods," what ultimately happens to Mary Fortune?
(a) Her grandfather kills her.
(b) Her father kills her.
(c) She stops spending time with Fortune.
(d) She runs away.
3. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say is the goal of all black people?
(a) To make white people's lives miserable
(b) To improve their color by marrying white people
(c) To make money
(d) To avoid working hard
4. In the story "Parker's Back," where does Parker go after the tree catches on fire?
(a) To a tattoo parlor
(b) To his boss' house
(c) To a bar
5. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why do the police first bring Rufus to Sheppard's home?
(a) He hopes Sheppard will convince the police he was at home.
(b) He wants to confess his crime to Sheppard.
(c) He insists on telling Sheppard he is innocent.
(d) He wants Sheppard to bail him out of jail.
6. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Sarah Ruth throw Parker out of the house?
(a) She is angry that he destroyed his boss' tractor.
(b) She believes he cannot be saved.
(c) She is ashamed of him.
(d) She believes his tattoo is idolatry.
7. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Foley predict will happen in the future?
(a) Black people will take over the government.
(b) Tanner will be arrested for squatting on his land.
(c) White people will work for black people.
(d) Black people will work for white people.
8. In the story "A View of the Woods," what color does Fortune think the woods turn one evening?
9. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas put the gun in Star's purse?
(a) So she can use it for protection
(b) So the police will find it and arrest her
(c) To encourage her to use it to kill his mother
(d) To frame her for his mother's murder
10. In the story "Greenleaf," why is Mrs. May concerned about the bull being on her farm?
(a) She is worried that he will breed with her cows.
(b) She is worried that the bull will knock down her barn.
(c) She is concerned he will destroy her crops.
(d) She is concerned that the bull will eat her hedges.
11. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Rufus do when he first comes into Norton's home that makes him angry?
(a) Goes into Norton's mother's room
(b) Orders Norton to make him a sandwich
(c) Lays down in Norton's bed
(d) Speaks disrespectfully to Leola
12. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard invite Rufus to live with he and Norton?
(a) To teach Norton how to share
(b) To provide Norton with a live-in playmate
(c) To have another person to help with the household chores
(d) To provide Rufus with a safe home
13. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Mrs. Fox suggest inviting Mr. Bush to the house?
(a) She sees him as an intellectual and thinks he and Asbury would enjoy talking.
(b) She knows he and Asbury collect coins and thinks they would enjoy talking.
(c) She wants to save Asbury's soul.
(d) She believes he and Asbury could become friends.
14. In the story "A View of the Woods," how does Fortune characterize Mary Fortune when she attacks him?
(a) As pure Fortune
(b) As a traitor
(c) As an evil child
(d) As pure Pitts
15. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Rufus not want the shoe Sheppard has made for him?
(a) It does not fit him properly.
(b) He believes it will hinder his ability to commit crimes.
(c) He says he has ways of getting the shoe if he wants it.
(d) He thinks it shows he favors Rufus over Norton.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner think the black man in his building does not respond to him when he first speaks to him?
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Norton often begin crying?
3. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what happens to Julian's mother after the black woman slaps her?
4. In the story "Greenleaf" how does Mrs. May die?
5. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what is Julian's career goal?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)