|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," which of the following is not an aspect of Tilman's business?
(a) New car dealership
(b) Gas station
(c) Grocery store
(d) Dance hall
2. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Pitts say to Mary Fortune before he whips her?
(a) Come with me.
(b) I'm going to whip you.
(c) You're in big trouble.
(d) Nobody beat me.
3. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what illness does Dr. Block diagnose Asbury as having?
(b) undulant fever
(c) a respiratory infection
(d) a nervous breakdown
4. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how much did Julian's mother pay for her new hat?
5. In the story "A View of the Woods," how old is Mary Fortune?
6. In the story "Revelation," why is Claud visiting the doctor?
(a) For a cold
(b) For a stomach ulcer
(c) For an eye injury
(d) For a leg injury
7. In the story "Parker's Back," what is Sarah Ruth constantly trying to do?
(a) Convince Parker to stop being tattooed
(b) Get pregnant
(c) Convince Parker to move in with her mother
(d) Convert Parker to Christianity
8. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner ultimately buried?
(b) On Foley's land
(d) New York City
9. In the story "Judgment Day," once Tanner is in NYC what does he wish he had done?
(a) Brought Coleman with him
(b) Continued to squat on Foley's land
(c) Decided to work for Foley
(d) Brought his whittling knife with him
10. In the story "A View of the Woods," what color does Fortune think the woods turn one evening?
11. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why does Thomas' mother say she cannot send Star back to jail?
(a) She believes she can save Star's soul.
(b) It would be like sending her own child to jail.
(c) She believes Star did not commit any crime.
(d) It would be like sending her own sister to jail.
12. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," why does Julian prefer the old family mansion?
(a) It is old and threadbare.
(b) It represents his family's history.
(c) It represents the destruction of the family heritage.
(d) It is far from where he currently lives.
13. In "The Enduring Chill," where is Asbury returning to his hometown from at the beginning of the story?
(a) New York City
14. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury not want to see Dr. Block?
(a) He is willing himself to die.
(b) He does not want to be treated for his illness.
(c) He believes his problem is beyond the doctor's comprehension.
(d) He does not believe that there is anything wrong with him.
15. In the story "Parker's Back," what draws Parker to the design he plans on having tattooed on his back?
(a) The burning bush
(b) The crown of thorns
(c) The religious symbolism
(d) Jesus' eyes
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Revelation," how does Mrs. Turpin characterize the farm workers' compliments?
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what disability does Rufus have?
3. In the story "Greenleaf," what bothers Mrs. May about Mrs. Greenleaf?
4. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury convince the farm workers to do that contaminates the milk?
5. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Thomas do for a living?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)