|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather to remove his glasses?
(a) She does not want him to see her crying.
(b) She plans on killing him for beating her.
(c) She does not want him to see her attack him.
(d) She does not want them to get wet.
2. In the story "Revelation," who is at the lowest rung of social class in Mrs. Turpin's opinion?
(a) Black people who do not own their own homes
(b) All black people
(c) White unemployed people
(d) Whites who do own land
3. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why is Star jailed?
(b) Stealing someone's identity
(c) For passing a bad check
4. In the story "Parker's Back," why are Sarah Ruth and Parker married in a courthouse?
(a) They are in a hurry.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She believes churches are idolatrous.
(d) He does not believe in church weddings.
5. In the story "Greenleaf," who does Mrs. May blame for Mr. Greenleaf having to shoot the bull?
(a) O.T. & E.T.
(c) Scofield & Wesley
(d) Mr. Greenleaf
6. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Mrs. Fox suggest that Asbury write a novel about?
(a) The war
(b) The farm
7. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury think the farm workers do not want him to drink from their jelly glass?
(a) He believes they do not want to share their milk with him.
(b) He believes they think it is improper for white and black people to share a glass.
(c) He believes they are afraid of him.
(d) He believes they do not want to get in trouble for drinking the milk.
8. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May believe she suddenly becomes so tired?
(a) The situation with the bull has drained all of her energy.
(b) She always has to wait on Mr. Greenleaf.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She has worked non-stop for 15 years.
9. In the story "Revelation," what does the white-trash woman propose doing to all black people?
(a) Making them slaves again
(b) Sending them back to Africa
(c) Hiring them as farm hands
(d) Treating them equally
10. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Mrs. Fox suggest inviting Mr. Bush to the house?
(a) She sees him as an intellectual and thinks he and Asbury would enjoy talking.
(b) She knows he and Asbury collect coins and thinks they would enjoy talking.
(c) She believes he and Asbury could become friends.
(d) She wants to save Asbury's soul.
11. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Rufus not want the shoe Sheppard has made for him?
(a) He says he has ways of getting the shoe if he wants it.
(b) He thinks it shows he favors Rufus over Norton.
(c) It does not fit him properly.
(d) He believes it will hinder his ability to commit crimes.
12. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Thomas ask the sheriff to do?
(a) Issue a restraining order against Star
(b) Search Star's room for his stolen gun
(c) Set Star up so she will be sent to jail
(d) Arrest her
13. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian's mother insist on doing when she exits the bus that Julian wishes she would not?
(a) Give the black boy sitting near her on the bus money
(b) Kiss the black boy sitting near her on the bus
(c) Talk to the black woman sitting across from her on the bus
(d) Insult the black woman sitting across from her on the bus
14. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin notice about the old woman sitting next to the child?
(a) She appears to be the boy's mother.
(b) She has snuff around her mouth.
(c) She cannot speak proper English.
(d) She is missing teeth.
15. In the story "Revelation," where does Mary Grace attend college?
(a) The local community college
(b) Massachusetts State
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Parker's Back," how does the tree catch on fire?
2. In the story "Judgment Day," where is Tanner ultimately buried?
3. In the story "A View of the Woods," who does Mary Fortune look the most like in her family?
4. In the story "Revelation," what do the Turpins do upon returning home from the doctor's office?
5. In the story "Greenleaf," what concerns Mrs. May about her sons getting married?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)