|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say is the goal of all black people?
(a) To improve their color by marrying white people
(b) To make money
(c) To make white people's lives miserable
(d) To avoid working hard
2. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what is Julian's career goal?
(b) Selling automobile tires
(c) Selling typewriters
3. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what is the name of the young boy who sits next to Julian's mother?
4. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian say to the black man sitting next to him to try and upset his mother?
(a) He asks the man to share his newspaper.
(b) He asks the man if he has a light.
(c) He asks the man about his beliefs on integration.
(d) He begins a political discussion with the man.
5. In the story "The Comforts of Home," where does Thomas finally find the sheriff?
(a) On the sidewalk outside of the barber shop
(b) At the barber shop
(c) In his police car
(d) At the courthouse
6. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury's friend Goetz take him to help him deal with death?
(a) To a Hindu lecture
(b) To a hospital
(c) To a Buddhist temple
(d) To visit a Catholic priest
7. In the story "A View of the Woods," who does the Pitts family blame for Fortune wanting to sell the lot in front of their home?
(b) Mr. Pitts
(c) Mary Fortune
8. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how much did Julian's mother pay for her new hat?
9. In the story "Judgment Day," how does Tanner plan on traveling down South?
(a) By walking
(b) On a freight train
(c) In a taxi
(d) On a passenger train
10. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what happens to Julian's mother after the black woman slaps her?
(a) She picks herself up and walks away with dignity.
(b) She goes to the Y for her class.
(c) She returns home on the bus.
(d) She has a stroke.
11. In the story "Greenleaf," how does Mrs. May characterize the Greenleaf boys when she discovers it is their bull on her farm?
(a) As lazy
(b) As cruel
(c) As ungrateful
(d) As irresponsible
12. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what disability does Rufus have?
(a) He has a club foot.
(b) He has only one foot.
(c) He walks with a limp.
(d) He only has one leg.
13. In the story "Revelation," what does the white-trash woman propose doing to all black people?
(a) Treating them equally
(b) Making them slaves again
(c) Hiring them as farm hands
(d) Sending them back to Africa
14. In the story "Parker's Back," what condition does Sarah Ruth set for telling Parker her name?
(a) She tells him he must believe in Jesus.
(b) She tells him he must not get any more tattoos.
(c) She tells him he must bring peaches to her house.
(d) She tells him he must tell her what his first two initials stand for.
15. In the story "Greenleaf," what bothers Mrs. May about Mrs. Greenleaf?
(a) Her laziness
(b) Her discipline of her children
(c) Her housekeeping
(d) Her religion
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "A View of the Woods," what does Mary Fortune tell her grandfather would happen to anyone who beat her?
2. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say is "the worst thing in the world"?
3. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Foley predict will happen in the future?
4. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian's mother do to punctuate her statement that it is hot?
5. In the story "Greenleaf," what creature is plaguing Mrs. May's hedges?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)