|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," who does Mrs. May blame for Mr. Greenleaf having to shoot the bull?
(a) Scofield & Wesley
(b) Mr. Greenleaf
(d) O.T. & E.T.
2. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin do as she is working in the pig parlor?
(a) Hit the pigs
(b) Pray to Jesus
(d) Vent her frustrations
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," how does Rufus initially respond to Sheppard's interest in him?
(a) He is eager to befriend Sheppard.
(b) He is silent.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He is resistant.
4. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," what does Sheppard do at the reformatory?
(a) He coaches a little league baseball team.
(b) He is a counselor.
(c) He is the recreational director.
(d) He teaches the students.
5. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," what does Julian do when they get on the bus that embarrasses his mother?
(a) He takes off his hat.
(b) He refuses to sit next to his mother.
(c) He sits next to a black man.
(d) He loosens and takes off his tie.
6. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say distinguishes her farm's pigs from others?
(a) They only raise a few of them a year.
(b) They have more meat on them.
(c) They are clean.
(d) They have their own barn.
7. In the story "Judgment Day," why does Tanner think the black man in his building does not respond to him when he first speaks to him?
(a) He believes the man cannot understand him.
(b) He believes the man thinks he is superior to Tanner.
(c) He believes the man is deaf and dumb.
(d) He believes the man is racist.
8. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury hope to be buried when he dies?
(a) In New York City
(b) Near the milking room
(c) In the family graveyard
(d) Near James Joyce's grave
9. In the story "Parker's Back," what is notable about Parker's arms?
(a) They are very muscular.
(b) They are deformed.
(c) One arm is shorter than the other.
(d) They are heavily tattooed.
10. In the story "Revelation," what does the teenage girl do as Mrs. Turpin is thanking Jesus for her husband?
(a) Scowl at her
(b) Throw a book at her
(c) Make a low growling sound
(d) Begin screaming
11. In the story "Revelation," what does the white-trash woman propose doing to all black people?
(a) Treating them equally
(b) Making them slaves again
(c) Sending them back to Africa
(d) Hiring them as farm hands
12. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Mrs. Fox suggest that Asbury write a novel about?
(a) The war
(d) The farm
13. In the story "Parker's Back," what does Parker propose to try and encourage Sarah Ruth to look at his tattoos?
(a) Getting a tattoo of Jesus on his back
(b) Seeing the religious symbolism in his tattoos
(c) Getting a tattoo of the Bible on his back
(d) Getting a tattoo of her on his back
14. In the story "Revelation," what does Mrs. Turpin say is "the worst thing in the world"?
(a) An ungrateful person
(b) A person with a bad disposition
(c) A black person
(d) A white-trash person
15. In the story "A View of the Woods," how old is Mary Fortune?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May believe she suddenly becomes so tired?
2. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Thomas do for a living?
3. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard think Rufus refused the shoe he had made for him?
4. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner pretend to do when his daughter is leaving for the store?
5. In the story "The Enduring Chill," why does Asbury think the farm workers do not want him to drink from their jelly glass?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)