|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story "Greenleaf," how does Mrs. May plan on trapping the bull?
(a) She wants to run him into the pasture and Mr. Greenleaf will close the gate behind it.
(b) She will drive her car into the bull.
(c) She wants Mr. Greenleaf to run him into a pasture and she will close the gate behind him.
(d) She wants Mr. Greenleaf to rope him.
2. In the story "Revelation," what do the Turpins do upon returning home from the doctor's office?
(a) Feed the pigs
(b) Pick up the farm workers
(c) Eat dinner
(d) Go to bed
3. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what does Star steal from Thomas?
(a) His father's gun
(c) His mother
(d) His historical papers
4. In the story "Greenleaf," what does Scofield do for a living?
(a) He is an insurance salesman specializing in insurance for black people.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a college professor.
(d) He is an insurance salesman specializing in insurance for white people.
5. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Parker not want to have his back tattooed?
(a) He wants to leave one area of his body blank.
(b) He is concerned it will be too painful.
(c) He is dissatisfied with the tattoos on the front of his body.
(d) He cannot easily see it.
6. In the story "The Comforts of Home," why is Star jailed?
(b) Stealing someone's identity
(c) For passing a bad check
7. In the story "Parker's Back," why does Sarah Ruth throw Parker out of the house?
(a) She believes his tattoo is idolatry.
(b) She is ashamed of him.
(c) She is angry that he destroyed his boss' tractor.
(d) She believes he cannot be saved.
8. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how much did Julian's mother pay for her new hat?
9. In the story "Everything That Rises Must Converge," how does Julian characterize his trips with his mother to the Y?
(a) As a necessary action to ensure her health
(b) As a pleasure
(c) As a sacrifice for her happiness
(d) As torture
10. In the story "The Comforts of Home," what hobby does Thomas' mother suggest that Star take up?
(a) Studying history
11. In the story "The Enduring Chill," what does Asbury convince the farm workers to do that contaminates the milk?
(a) Milk the cows improperly
(b) Smoke in the milking room
(c) Drink from the containers of fresh milk
(d) Feed the cows onions
12. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard invite Rufus to live with he and Norton?
(a) To provide Norton with a live-in playmate
(b) To have another person to help with the household chores
(c) To teach Norton how to share
(d) To provide Rufus with a safe home
13. In the story "Parker's Back," what condition does Sarah Ruth set for telling Parker her name?
(a) She tells him he must believe in Jesus.
(b) She tells him he must not get any more tattoos.
(c) She tells him he must bring peaches to her house.
(d) She tells him he must tell her what his first two initials stand for.
14. In the story "Judgment Day," what does Tanner pretend to do when his daughter is leaving for the store?
(d) Watch television
15. In the story "Judgment Day," once Tanner is in NYC what does he wish he had done?
(a) Brought Coleman with him
(b) Decided to work for Foley
(c) Continued to squat on Foley's land
(d) Brought his whittling knife with him
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "The Enduring Chill," where does Asbury's friend Goetz take him to help him deal with death?
2. In "The Lame Shall Enter First," why does Sheppard not go into Norton's room after talking with Rufus about whether or not he was at the movies with his son?
3. In the story "Greenleaf," why does Mrs. May believe she suddenly becomes so tired?
4. In the story "Revelation," which of the following is not a compliment the farm workers give Mrs. Turpin?
5. In the story "A View of the Woods," why does Fortune visit the courthouse?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)