|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the whaling industry dying in Coal Harbour?
2. The town of Coal Harbour is located in which Canadian province?
3. Does Miss Bowzer smoke cigarettes?
4. What gift does Uncle Jack give Primrose?
5. The children who taunt Primrose remind her of what vegetable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Primrose decide to collect in her mother's notebook?
2. Why does Primrose return to the pier each day?
3. What happens to Mr. Cantina's dog while Primrose is in the drugstore.
4. When does Primrose move to Uncle Jack's House?
5. Why doesn't Primrose show any grief about her parents?
6. The children who taunt her remind Primrose of what vegetable?
7. Why is it called the "cinnamon house"?
8. In Chapter 1, what has happened to Primrose's parents?
9. What does Miss Bowzer teach Primrose to bake that is both "tricky" and "sweet," and why?
10. Why does the town hold a memorial service for Primrose's parents in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the people in Coal Harbour are a little odd, including Miss Perfidy, Miss Bowzer, Miss Honeycut, Primrose's mother and Primrose.
Part 1) List some of the unusual traits of these characters. How do they change the story? Would it be more entertaining or less entertaining?
Part 2) Would Primrose miss her mother as much if she was more like other people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the light tone of the book.
Part 1) What techniques does the author use to achieve that tone?
Part 2) Are some of the topics discussed serious?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the personality of Sheriff Peters in the story, especially his role in the discovery of the raincoat. Could he have done a better job of looking for Primrose's parents? Why or why not?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)