|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Letter Dated 26 January 1998," what does Alex do with the division Jonathan sent him?
2. What is done with the Kolker's body after he dies?
3. Who has a ticket for the same seat at the theater as Safran?
4. "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941" goes back and forth between two stories. Who are the two stories about?
5. When the old woman saw Safran again years after the town was destroyed, what did they do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alex send back the money that Jonathan sent him? Why is he angry?
2. Is Jonathan a reliable narrator? Defend your response.
3. Although the novel does not say it directly, based on what is written in the Book of Antecedents, what can we assume Brod asked the Kolker to do? Why would she ask this?
4. Why is it ironic that Safran asks his great-great-great-grandfather to not "let me hate who I become" (141)?
5. Why does Alex lie about his sex life?
6. How does the Kolker change in "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941"?
7. "Letter Dated 17 November 1997" revolves around the theme of forgiveness. Give at least one example of who needs to be granted forgiveness and the reason.
8. What is odd about Zosha's family home?
9. Why does Grandfather ask Alex for money and what does Alex say in return? Will Alex give him the money?
10. Safran does not consummate his relationship until his wedding night. What does this suggest about his relationships with other women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a historical fiction, this novel is influenced by real events and ideas. Analyze how World War II or the Jewish culture have influenced this novel. For example, you may show how the violence of the war led to the violence in the family unit, or show how the Jewish culture has led to the use of themes like rebirth, suffering, sadness, justice, or forgiveness. Use examples from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Brod is never alone in the novel. She always has a man in her life. When one dies, she has another man to replace the previous almost instantaneously. What does this suggest about her? Describe her relationships with the the three most important men in her life. Did she love any of them? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Alex and Jonathan. Think about their internal and external characteristics. Compare their approach to situations and their thoughts about the world. Also, compare their writing styles and purpose in writing.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)