|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does Yankel, Brod's "father," give that Brod's "mother" loved him?
2. What happens to Jonathan's documents?
3. What does Yankel wear that distinguishes him from everyone else?
4. Who wins the second lottery?
5. Why is Little Igor sad on his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alex first meets Jonathan, he is "flabbergasted by his appearance" (31). Why?
2. Alex compares his father's abuse to the search for Augustine. In what ways are they similar?
3. Is Sofiowka a reliable character? How do you know? Give details from the story.
4. Foer writes that Brod could "never be happy and honest at the same time" (79). What does this mean? Give examples from the text.
5. Why does Alex claim it would it be "cinchier" for Jonathan to follow his dream?
6. Why does Alex agree to go to Lutsk? Use the book to aid in your response.
7. Why did Yankel change his name? Why did he choose "Yankel"?
8. Describe the relationship between Alex and his father.
9. Yankel lies to Brod. What does he lie about? Why does he lie? What do you think about his lies?
10. By the end of "The Very Rigid Search," Alex has yelled at Jonathan twice. Describe these incidents. What is significant about these outbursts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a historical fiction, this novel is influenced by real events and ideas. Analyze how World War II or the Jewish culture have influenced this novel. For example, you may show how the violence of the war led to the violence in the family unit, or show how the Jewish culture has led to the use of themes like rebirth, suffering, sadness, justice, or forgiveness. Use examples from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
The title Everything is Illuminated, tells that all things come to light. In the story, many truths come to light and each have different effects. Are some truths better left unsaid or should truth always be sought out? Write a five paragraph essay discussing this concept. Reference the novel to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Brod is never alone in the novel. She always has a man in her life. When one dies, she has another man to replace the previous almost instantaneously. What does this suggest about her? Describe her relationships with the the three most important men in her life. Did she love any of them? How do you know?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)