|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the bridegroom that the men are waiting for in "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941"?
2. What does Alex ask Jonathan in "Letter Dated 24 December 1997?"
(a) He asks that Jonathan stop sending money.
(b) He asks that they never criticize or praise each other's writing again.
(c) He asks that they no longer communicate.
(d) He asks that Jonathan send him more money.
3. When the old woman's father had the gun pointed at him and was told to do something or die, what did he do?
(a) He did as he was told.
(b) He laughed.
(c) He cursed them.
(d) He refused.
4. What happens to the Gypsy girl after Safran gets married?
(a) She continues to have an affair with Safran.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She is captured by the Nazis.
(d) She leaves town.
5. What is in all of the boxes in the old woman's house?
(a) The woman's favorite photographs.
(b) Documents that need to be filed.
(c) Old newspapers about the war.
(d) The only items remaining of Trachimbrod.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Safran meets the Gypsy, what is the subject of the play they are watching?
2. Who does Safran think he looks like?
3. "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941" goes back and forth between two stories. Who are the two stories about?
4. When Grandfather asks Alex for his life-savings, what does Alex ask for in exchange?
5. What is different about Safran when he is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonathan tell Alex about his grandmother while waiting for Grandfather and the old woman? What do Jonathan and his grandmother have in common?
2. In "Letter Dated 12 December 1997," what does Alex think about Jonathan's writing about Safran? Is this hypocritical? What has Alex learned?
3. How does Alex feel about the truth in "Letter Dated 12 December 1997?"
4. Safran muses "the more you love someone . . . the harder it is to tell them" (234). What is he referencing? Is this true? Why?
5. "Letter Dated 17 November 1997" revolves around the theme of forgiveness. Give at least one example of who needs to be granted forgiveness and the reason.
6. Alex has changed throughout the novel. Identify how he has changed by the time he writes "Letter Dated 24 December 1997." What do you think brought about the change?
7. Why does Alex send back the money that Jonathan sent him? Why is he angry?
8. Safran does not consummate his relationship until his wedding night. What does this suggest about his relationships with other women?
9. The old woman tells that she must live near Trachimbrod as "punishment" (189). According to her, what is she being punished for? What does this mean to you?
10. After reading "What We Saw When We Saw Trachimbrod, or Falling in Love," the reader might suspect that Lista was a character in her own story. Who might she be? How do you know? Why do this?
This section contains 1,695 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)