|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Nazi's first do when they came to Trachimbrod?
(a) Shoot people at random.
(b) Blow everything up.
(c) Give chocolate to the children.
(d) Burn down the synagogue.
2. What makes Lista unique?
(a) She is a Gypsy.
(b) She dresses immaculately.
(c) She can tie a cherry stem in a knot.
(d) She inspires Safran to bathe.
3. Who thinks "This is love . . When you notice someone's absence and hate that absence more than anything" (121)?
4. What does Alex ask Jonathan in "Letter Dated 24 December 1997?"
(a) He asks that they never criticize or praise each other's writing again.
(b) He asks that Jonathan send him more money.
(c) He asks that Jonathan stop sending money.
(d) He asks that they no longer communicate.
5. What happens to the Gypsy girl after Safran gets married?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She continues to have an affair with Safran.
(c) She leaves town.
(d) She is captured by the Nazis.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Letter Dated 26 January 1998," what did Alex tell Jonathan he did for the first time ever?
2. When Safran meets the Gypsy, what is the subject of the play they are watching?
3. What is written on Sofiowka's chest when he is found dead?
4. In "Letter Dated 26 January 1998," what does Alex tell about Grandfather?
5. According to Jonathan, what makes women fall in love with Safran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonathan tell Alex about his grandmother while waiting for Grandfather and the old woman? What do Jonathan and his grandmother have in common?
2. Alex has changed throughout the novel. Identify how he has changed by the time he writes "Letter Dated 24 December 1997." What do you think brought about the change?
3. Although the novel does not say it directly, based on what is written in the Book of Antecedents, what can we assume Brod asked the Kolker to do? Why would she ask this?
4. Why does Alex lie about his sex life?
5. Why is it ironic that Safran asks his great-great-great-grandfather to not "let me hate who I become" (141)?
6. After reading "What We Saw When We Saw Trachimbrod, or Falling in Love," the reader might suspect that Lista was a character in her own story. Who might she be? How do you know? Why do this?
7. The old woman tells that she must live near Trachimbrod as "punishment" (189). According to her, what is she being punished for? What does this mean to you?
8. Safran muses "the more you love someone . . . the harder it is to tell them" (234). What is he referencing? Is this true? Why?
9. How does Alex feel about the truth in "Letter Dated 12 December 1997?"
10. Why does Alex send back the money that Jonathan sent him? Why is he angry?
This section contains 1,614 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)