|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Safran think he looks like?
(a) His great-great-great grandfather.
(b) His mother.
(c) His rabbi.
(d) His neighbor.
2. What do Grandfather, Alex, and Jonathan have for dinner after they leave Lista?
(a) They eat nothing.
(b) They eat peanuts.
(c) They eat sausage.
(d) They eat salad.
3. What does Grandfather want to do with Alex's money?
(a) Look for Augustine.
(b) Look for Kolki.
(c) Buy a new car.
(d) Buy a home for himself and Little Igor.
4. What does Alex admit to Jonathan in the "Letter Dated 17 November 1997"?
(a) Alex admits that he has never been carnal with a woman.
(b) Alex admits that he did not like Jonathan at first.
(c) Alex admits that he has stolen to get money for his trip to America.
(d) Alex admits that he cries all the time.
5. In "An Overture to Illumination," Jonathan, Alex, and Grandfather are returning from Trachimbrod. Why does Grandfather get mad at their waitress?
(a) She reminds him of someone he knew.
(b) She does not have any meals without meat.
(c) She spills their drinks on them.
(d) She calls Jonathan a Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Letter Dated 26 January 1998," what did Alex tell Jonathan he did for the first time ever?
2. In "Letter Dated 12 December 1997," what does Alex say is the reason he does not remove his father from his life?
3. What is different about Safran when he is born?
4. What is the relationship between Alex and Jonathan in "Letter Dated 12 December 1992"?
5. What is written on Sofiowka's chest when he is found dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Alex has changed throughout the novel. Identify how he has changed by the time he writes "Letter Dated 24 December 1997." What do you think brought about the change?
2. Safran does not consummate his relationship until his wedding night. What does this suggest about his relationships with other women?
3. How does the Kolker change in "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941"?
4. In "Falling in Love," what does "Augustine" look like?
5. "Letter Dated 17 November 1997" revolves around the theme of forgiveness. Give at least one example of who needs to be granted forgiveness and the reason.
6. How does Safran's teeth effect his life? What might have been different if he had not been born with teeth?
7. What is odd about Zosha's family home?
8. How does Alex feel about the truth in "Letter Dated 12 December 1997?"
9. Does the old woman in "Falling in Love" know Jonathan's grandfather? What does she tell Jonathan?
10. Why is it ironic that Safran asks his great-great-great-grandfather to not "let me hate who I become" (141)?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)