|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jonathan's grandmother survive the war?
(a) She left before the Nazis arrived.
(b) She hid in the basement.
(c) She pretended to not be Jewish.
(d) She jumped in the river.
2. What do Alex and Jonathan do together while waiting for Grandfather and the old woman to finish talking?
(a) They read.
(b) They skin the corn and talk.
(c) They peel potatoes.
(d) They decide to write a novel together.
3. Who says "I am a good person who has lived in a bad time" (227)?
4. What does Alex's father do that makes Alex mad?
(a) He jokes with Alex about Jewish people.
(b) He jokes with Alex about sex.
(c) He hits Alex.
(d) He hits Grandfather.
5. Why are the Gypsy girl and Safran unable to be together?
(a) Because of his arm.
(b) Because she is smart and he is not.
(c) Because she is poor and he is rich.
(d) Because she is a Gypsy and he is a Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandfather pull out of the "In Case" box the first time?
2. What is written on Sofiowka's chest when he is found dead?
3. Who is in the picture Grandfather pulled from the "In Case" box?
4. According to Jonathan, what makes women fall in love with Safran?
5. What does Grandfather say to the woman they meet in "Falling in Love" that is out of character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grandfather ask Alex for money and what does Alex say in return? Will Alex give him the money?
2. What is odd about Zosha's family home?
3. Why is it ironic that Safran asks his great-great-great-grandfather to not "let me hate who I become" (141)?
4. The old woman tells that she must live near Trachimbrod as "punishment" (189). According to her, what is she being punished for? What does this mean to you?
5. Why does Alex lie about his sex life?
6. "Letter Dated 17 November 1997" revolves around the theme of forgiveness. Give at least one example of who needs to be granted forgiveness and the reason.
7. What does Jonathan tell Alex about his grandmother while waiting for Grandfather and the old woman? What do Jonathan and his grandmother have in common?
8. Alex asks Jonathan to finish writing the chapter "An Overture to Illumination." Why? Does Jonathan do it? How can you tell?
9. Safran does not consummate his relationship until his wedding night. What does this suggest about his relationships with other women?
10. Why does Alex send back the money that Jonathan sent him? Why is he angry?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)