|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Alex live?
(a) The Ukraine.
2. In "The Beginning of the World Often Comes," who finds debris in the river?
(c) Hannah and Chana.
3. What does Alex do with the money he makes?
(a) He saves it.
(b) He gives it to Little Igor.
(c) He goes to the discotheques.
(d) He spends it on women.
4. Throughout the novel, who is Jonathan looking for?
(a) His grandmother.
(d) His grandfather.
5. Who is watching Brod when she finds Yankel?
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. The original Sammy Davis Junior was what?
2. Which statement is an accurate description of Jonathan?
3. How is the town divided?
4. What does Yankel do with the note that his wife left him?
5. Why is Sammy Davis Junior, Junior with the group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Brod and her relationship with the townspeople.
2. "An Overture to Encountering the Hero" is meant to be humorous. What elements make it funny? Why?
3. Describe the relationship between Alex and his father.
4. Foer writes that Brod could "never be happy and honest at the same time" (79). What does this mean? Give examples from the text.
5. Sofiowka claims that the twin girls did not see anything. Do you believe him? Explain your position.
6. In "Another Lottery, 1791," the town again makes a decision based on a lottery. Describe the two lotteries. What does this seem to suggest about the town?
7. Why does Alex agree to go to Lutsk? Use the book to aid in your response.
8. Describe the origin of Trachimday.
9. Describe the lottery drawn in "The Lottery, 1791." What do you think of the "lottery"? Explain your reasoning.
10. How did the town get its official name?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)