|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women of Trachimbrod call Brod behind her back?
(a) Dirty river girl.
(c) Skinny little brat.
(d) The mermaid.
2. Who says "I mount the autobus for an hour to work all day doing things I hate. You want to know why? It is for you . . . One day you will do things for me that you hate. That is what it means to be a family" (2)?
(a) Alex's grandfather.
(b) Alex's mother.
(d) Alex's father.
3. In "The Beginning of the World Often Comes," who finds debris in the river?
(c) Hannah and Chana.
4. What does Yankel do with the note that his wife left him?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He keeps it in his pocket at all times.
(c) He tries to lose it.
(d) He rips it up.
5. How long does it take the baby to choose a name?
(a) Two minutes.
(b) Two days.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Seven minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Alex, what is Grandfather like after the trip to Lutsk?
2. What does Yankel do when he gets to the river?
3. Where does Yankel write his life history?
4. What are the Ukrainians celebrating when Jonathan arrives?
5. In the "Letter Dated 28 October 1997," what does Alex say that he catches his grandfather doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Yankel's feels when he finds out that he is going to be a father.
2. "An Overture to Encountering the Hero" is meant to be humorous. What elements make it funny? Why?
3. Describe Yankel's internal and external characteristics.
4. Describe Brod and her relationship with the townspeople.
5. What clues tell the reader that Brod is having a vision of the future in "Recurrent Secrets, 1791-1943"?
6. Name two things Alex claims to be, but that we might suspect he is exaggerating. Explain your response.
7. What is the relationship between Grandfather and Jonathan?
8. Why does Brod think she is the float queen in the Trachimday parade? What is the real reason?
9. By the end of "The Very Rigid Search," Alex has yelled at Jonathan twice. Describe these incidents. What is significant about these outbursts?
10. Describe the origin of Trachimday.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)