|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says"I must say that the dream that we are our fathers made me melancholy" (54)?
2. In "The Beginning of the World Often Comes," who finds debris in the river?
(b) Hannah and Chana.
3. Who is in the photo that Jonathan shows to Alex?
(a) Grandfather and Eli.
(b) Jonathan and his girlfriend.
(c) Alex's grandfather and grandmother.
(d) Jonathan's grandfather and Augustine.
4. What happens to Jonathan's documents?
(a) Sammy Davis, Junior, Junior ate them.
(b) The police confiscated them.
(c) Alex ate them.
(d) They were stolen.
5. Yankel was once known by what other name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that it was Trachim who drove into the river?
2. What color are Brod's eyes?
3. What is Yankel doing before he is told he will be a father?
4. What would Alex name a town if given the chance?
5. What does Yankel dream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. "An Overture to Encountering the Hero" is meant to be humorous. What elements make it funny? Why?
2. Sofiowka claims that the twin girls did not see anything. Do you believe him? Explain your position.
3. Foer writes that Brod could "never be happy and honest at the same time" (79). What does this mean? Give examples from the text.
4. Describe Yankel's internal and external characteristics.
5. Describe Brod and her relationship with the townspeople.
6. Why does Alex claim it would it be "cinchier" for Jonathan to follow his dream?
7. Describe the relationship between Alex and his father.
8. Describe the origin of Trachimday.
9. The synagogue has some strange features. Describe some of them.
10. Why does Brod think she is the float queen in the Trachimday parade? What is the real reason?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)