|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the bridegroom that the men are waiting for in "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941"?
2. What is written on Sofiowka's chest when he is found dead?
3. In "Letter Dated 12 December 1997," what does Alex say is the reason he does not remove his father from his life?
(b) His father has changed.
4. Who is in the picture Grandfather pulled from the "In Case" box?
(a) Safran and Zosha.
(b) Lista and Herschel.
(c) Augustine and Safran.
(d) Grandfather and Herschel.
5. Why doesn't Brod want her husband to go to work?
(a) The flour mill is cursed.
(b) She likes having him at home.
(c) His work is too strenuous.
(d) She cannot stand being alone.
6. Why are the Gypsy girl and Safran unable to be together?
(a) Because of his arm.
(b) Because she is smart and he is not.
(c) Because she is a Gypsy and he is a Jew.
(d) Because she is poor and he is rich.
7. What do Alex and Jonathan do together while waiting for Grandfather and the old woman to finish talking?
(a) They skin the corn and talk.
(b) They decide to write a novel together.
(c) They read.
(d) They peel potatoes.
8. What makes Lista unique?
(a) She dresses immaculately.
(b) She is a Gypsy.
(c) She can tie a cherry stem in a knot.
(d) She inspires Safran to bathe.
9. What does Safran get paid to do by the Sloucher congregation?
(a) Read to the illiterate.
(b) Remodel the Double House.
(c) Visit widows.
(d) Go to the movies.
10. How did Jonathan's grandmother survive the war?
(a) She jumped in the river.
(b) She left before the Nazis arrived.
(c) She hid in the basement.
(d) She pretended to not be Jewish.
11. Where is Safran going when leaving his apparent lover?
(a) The flour mill.
(d) To the Dial.
12. Who does Alex think was "born to be a writer"?
(c) Little Igor.
13. According to the old woman, what does Trachimbrod look like now?
(a) It is crumbling.
(b) It is empty.
(c) It looks like any other field.
(d) It has been rebuilt and doesn't look at all like it did before.
14. When the old woman's father was told to do something or his wife would be shot, what did he do?
(a) He cursed them.
(b) He refused.
(c) He laughed.
(d) He did as told.
15. How does Alex feel about Safran having sex with older women and women who are not his wife?
(a) He wants to be like Safran.
(b) He thinks it is strange.
(c) He thinks it makes Safran sound like a superior person.
(d) He thinks it makes Safran sound like an inferior person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Kolker when he goes to work?
2. Who is Alex referring to when he says, "it is as if after surviving so much, there was no longer a reason to survive" (143)?
3. What does the Gypsy girl want to do with Safran?
4. What happens to the Gypsy girl after Safran gets married?
5. What is the result of Kolker's injuries?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)