|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Letter Dated 12 December 1997," what does Alex say is the reason he does not remove his father from his life?
(b) His father has changed.
2. What is the relationship between "The Dial" and Safran?
(a) The Dial is Safran's father.
(b) The Dial is a tradition and nothing else.
(c) The Dial is Safran's great-great-great grandfather.
(d) The Dial is Safran's good luck charm.
3. Who is Alex referring to when he says, "it is as if after surviving so much, there was no longer a reason to survive" (143)?
(a) Jonathan's grandmother.
(c) Alex's Grandfather.
(d) Jonathan's grandfather.
4. When Grandfather asks Alex for his life-savings, what does Alex ask for in exchange?
(b) The car.
(c) To go with Grandfather.
(d) Sammy Davis Junior, Junior.
5. When the old woman saw Safran again years after the town was destroyed, what did they do?
(a) They cursed the Nazis.
(b) They cried.
(c) They had lunch, a bath, and a fight.
(d) They told stories about the people they knew.
6. What is the result of Kolker's injuries?
(a) Kolker is more attentive to his wife.
(b) Kolker is unable to work and becomes depressed.
(c) Kolker dies.
(d) Kolker has random violent emotional outbursts.
7. What does Grandfather pull out of the "In Case" box the first time?
(a) A map.
(c) A book.
(d) A candle.
8. "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941" goes back and forth between two stories. Who are the two stories about?
(a) Jonathan's grandfather and Brod.
(b) Safran and Zosha.
(c) Alex and Little Igor.
(d) Yankel and Brod.
9. Who asks "how are your books arranged" (231)?
(c) The Gypsy girl.
10. What is different about Safran when he is born?
(a) Safran is born with hair.
(b) Safran is born with teeth.
(c) Safran is born with a limp arm.
(d) Safran is born prematurely.
11. Who says "I am a good person who has lived in a bad time" (227)?
12. In "Falling in Love," who does Alex think he has found?
(a) Jonathan's grandmother.
13. Who is the old woman?
(b) The Gypsy.
14. What is in all of the boxes in the old woman's house?
(a) Old newspapers about the war.
(b) Documents that need to be filed.
(c) The only items remaining of Trachimbrod.
(d) The woman's favorite photographs.
15. According to the old woman, what does Trachimbrod look like now?
(a) It has been rebuilt and doesn't look at all like it did before.
(b) It is empty.
(c) It is crumbling.
(d) It looks like any other field.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941," Brod tells Kolker that she loves him and "for the first time in her life, the words had meaning" (139). Why do the words have meaning now?
2. How does Alex feel about Safran having sex with older women and women who are not his wife?
3. What happens to the Gypsy girl after Safran gets married?
4. What is done with the Kolker's body after he dies?
5. In "Letter Dated 26 January 1998," what does Alex tell about Grandfather?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)