|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the bridegroom that the men are waiting for in "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941"?
2. Who does Safran meet up with at the wedding reception?
(b) The Gypsy girl.
3. After leaving Lista and drinking vodka, what do Grandfather, Alex, and Jonathan argue about?
(a) Whether or not they should open the box.
(b) What to eat.
(c) Where to go the next day.
(d) What to talk about.
4. Who is the old woman?
(c) The Gypsy.
5. "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941" goes back and forth between two stories. Who are the two stories about?
(a) Yankel and Brod.
(b) Safran and Zosha.
(c) Jonathan's grandfather and Brod.
(d) Alex and Little Igor.
6. When the old woman's father was told to do something or his wife would be shot, what did he do?
(a) He did as told.
(b) He refused.
(c) He laughed.
(d) He cursed them.
7. Who does Safran think he looks like?
(a) His rabbi.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His great-great-great grandfather.
(d) His mother.
8. What do Alex and Jonathan do together while waiting for Grandfather and the old woman to finish talking?
(a) They peel potatoes.
(b) They skin the corn and talk.
(c) They read.
(d) They decide to write a novel together.
9. Why are the Gypsy girl and Safran unable to be together?
(a) Because she is poor and he is rich.
(b) Because of his arm.
(c) Because she is smart and he is not.
(d) Because she is a Gypsy and he is a Jew.
10. How does Alex feel about the idea of cutting out the discussion of Jonathan's grandmother from the story?
(a) He rewrites the section.
(b) He agrees whole heartedly.
(c) He reluctantly agrees.
(d) He refuses.
11. According to Jonathan, what makes women fall in love with Safran?
(a) His dead arm.
(b) His blue eyes.
(c) His teeth.
(d) His wit and charm.
12. What does Alex think the limp arm symbolizes?
13. Where is Safran going when leaving his apparent lover?
(b) The flour mill.
(d) To the Dial.
14. What does Grandfather want to do with Alex's money?
(a) Buy a home for himself and Little Igor.
(b) Buy a new car.
(c) Look for Augustine.
(d) Look for Kolki.
15. When the old woman's father had the gun pointed at him and was told to do something or die, what did he do?
(a) He refused.
(b) He did as he was told.
(c) He cursed them.
(d) He laughed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Gypsy girl want to do with Safran?
2. What is different about Safran when he is born?
3. What do Jonathan, Alex, and Grandfather see when they finally reach Trachimbrod?
4. What makes Lista unique?
5. Why does everyone read from the Book of Antecedents?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)