|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Letter Dated 12 December 1997," what does Alex say is the reason he does not remove his father from his life?
(c) His father has changed.
2. Why does Alex lie to his brother?
(a) He wants his brother to be better than him.
(b) He wants his father to be proud of him.
(c) He wants his brother to admire him.
(d) He wants his brother to be happy.
3. Where is the wedding reception held?
(a) At Safran's house.
(b) At the synagogue.
(c) At the Double House.
(d) At the river.
4. What book did Jonathan find in the "In Case" box?
(a) Brod's Diary.
(b) The Book of Recurrent Dreams.
(c) Safran's Diary.
(d) The Book of Past Occurrences.
5. Who approaches Alex while he is at the beach?
(a) Little Igor.
(c) The police.
6. What is in all of the boxes in the old woman's house?
(a) Old newspapers about the war.
(b) Documents that need to be filed.
(c) The only items remaining of Trachimbrod.
(d) The woman's favorite photographs.
7. In "Letter Dated 26 January 1998," what did Alex tell Jonathan he did for the first time ever?
(a) He told the truth.
(b) He took care of himself first.
(c) He kissed a girl.
(d) He told his father exactly what he thought.
8. Where is Safran going when leaving his apparent lover?
(b) The flour mill.
(d) To the Dial.
9. What is the result of Kolker's injuries?
(a) Kolker is unable to work and becomes depressed.
(b) Kolker dies.
(c) Kolker is more attentive to his wife.
(d) Kolker has random violent emotional outbursts.
10. Who is Alex referring to when he says, "it is as if after surviving so much, there was no longer a reason to survive" (143)?
(a) Alex's Grandfather.
(b) Jonathan's grandfather.
(d) Jonathan's grandmother.
11. Why doesn't Brod want her husband to go to work?
(a) She likes having him at home.
(b) The flour mill is cursed.
(c) His work is too strenuous.
(d) She cannot stand being alone.
12. Why does everyone read from the Book of Antecedents?
(a) Because it includes a census.
(b) Because they are required to read it.
(c) Because they will have their lives written in it one day.
(d) Because it is fascinating.
13. Who did Grandfather "murder?"
14. When Alex reads Jonathan's journal, what story does he find?
(a) A story about something he has not done yet.
(b) A story about Augustine.
(c) A story about Grandfather.
(d) A story about his past.
15. What is done with the Kolker's body after he dies?
(a) Brod burns the house down with his body in it.
(b) He is buried in the garden.
(c) He is thrown into the Brod River.
(d) He is bronzed and put in the town square.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the old woman, what does Trachimbrod look like now?
2. What does Alex think the limp arm symbolizes?
3. In "Letter Dated 26 January 1998," what does Alex tell about Grandfather?
4. Who says "I am a good person who has lived in a bad time" (227)?
5. At the end of "The Dial, 1941-1804-1941," Brod tells Kolker that she loves him and "for the first time in her life, the words had meaning" (139). Why do the words have meaning now?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)