|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of The Lottery?
(a) It is a game to win enough money for two years wages.
(b) It is a method of deciding who will adopt a baby.
(c) It is a method of deciding who needs to die as an offering.
(d) It is a game to win a trip to America.
2. What does Alex's father call him?
(a) Clumsy One.
3. In "The Beginning of the World Often Comes," who finds debris in the river?
(b) Hannah and Chana.
4. Which statement is an accurate description of Jonathan?
(a) Jonathan is Ukrainian and a vegetarian.
(b) Jonathan is an American and a womanizer.
(c) Jonathan is Ukrainian and a pacifist.
(d) Jonathan is an American and a vegetarian.
5. What is Alex hired to do?
(a) Carry luggage.
(b) Park cars.
(d) Drive the car.
6. What "terrible thing" does Yankel feel father's have the right to do?
(a) Give them away at their wedding.
(b) Feel lonely.
(c) Hit them.
(d) Read their daughter's diary.
7. Who is in the photo that Jonathan shows to Alex?
(a) Jonathan's grandfather and Augustine.
(b) Jonathan and his girlfriend.
(c) Alex's grandfather and grandmother.
(d) Grandfather and Eli.
8. What happens to Jonathan's documents?
(a) They were stolen.
(b) The police confiscated them.
(c) Alex ate them.
(d) Sammy Davis, Junior, Junior ate them.
9. Why does the Tolerable Rabbi call the winner "Kolker"?
(a) Because of his profession.
(b) Because he is a cook.
(c) Because he is from Kolkensberg.
(d) Because he is from Kolki.
10. What does Little Igor's father buy him in an attempt to make him feel better?
(a) A horse.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A car.
(d) A trip.
11. What does Alex do with the money he makes?
(a) He saves it.
(b) He gives it to Little Igor.
(c) He spends it on women.
(d) He goes to the discotheques.
12. In a vision, Brod sees a boy reading from the Book of Antecedents. What is the title of the section he is reading from?
(a) "The dream of living forever with Brod."
(c) "The First Rape of Brod D."
(d) "This is me with Augustine, February 21, 1943."
13. Who wins the second lottery?
14. What evidence does Yankel, Brod's "father," give that Brod's "mother" loved him?
(a) Books Brod's mother gave him.
(b) Love letters that Yankel wrote to himself with his left hand.
(d) Jewelry her "mother" gave him.
15. Who says "I mount the autobus for an hour to work all day doing things I hate. You want to know why? It is for you . . . One day you will do things for me that you hate. That is what it means to be a family" (2)?
(b) Alex's father.
(c) Alex's mother.
(d) Alex's grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time she is twelve, how many men have proposed to Brod?
2. In "The Very Rigid Search," what does Alex say that makes the old woman admit she knows about Trachimbrod?
3. Who is Little Igor?
4. Why is Sammy Davis Junior, Junior with the group?
5. Who is nicknamed the "Clumsy One?"
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)