|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says "the bruises go away, and so does how you hate, and so does the feeling that everything you receive in life is something you have earned" (68)?
2. Where does Alex live?
(b) The Ukraine.
3. By the time she is twelve, how many men have proposed to Brod?
(d) Every man in the shtetl.
4. What do both Alex and Jonathan believe about the people in the photograph?
(a) They think the people are in love.
(b) They think the people are sad.
(c) They think the people are dead.
(d) They think the people are beautiful.
5. What does Yankel have in his hands when he dies?
(a) A drink and a cigar.
(b) A note and his abacus bead.
(c) Lipstick and a book.
(d) A note and Brod's diary.
6. What is written on the note Yankel found on his welcome mat?
(a) "I hate you."
(b) "I had to do it for myself."
(c) "Don't look for me. I will not be back."
(d) "I'll be back soon, don't worry."
7. What lie does Yankel tell himself?
(a) "I am strong."
(b) "I am Brod's biological father."
(c) "I am not sad."
(d) "I am young."
8. Where does Grandfather suggest Jonathan go to fall in love?
(d) New York.
9. How do the people celebrate Trachimday?
(a) They dance at the river.
(b) They drive their wagons into the Brod river.
(c) They throw sacks into the river for men to dive after.
(d) They dance around a bonfire.
10. Who is the first character introduced in the book?
(b) Alexander Perchov.
(c) Sammy Davis, Junior, Junior.
(d) Jonathen Safran Foer.
11. Who is watching Brod when she finds Yankel?
(c) No one.
12. In "The Beginning of the World Often Comes," who finds debris in the river?
(b) Hannah and Chana.
13. Throughout the novel, who is Jonathan looking for?
(b) His grandmother.
(d) His grandfather.
14. In "The Lottery, 1791," what is the name of the synagogue where the Rabbi does NOT want the baby to go?
(a) The Trachimbrod Synagogue.
(b) The Upright Synagogue.
(c) The Shalom Temple.
(d) The Slouching Synagogue.
15. What does Yankel do with the note that his wife left him?
(a) He rips it up.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He keeps it in his pocket at all times.
(d) He tries to lose it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alex hired to do?
2. What "terrible thing" does Yankel feel father's have the right to do?
3. What does Alex's father call him?
4. In "The Lottery, 1791," where are the men when in the synagogue?
5. Who does Alex fall in love with?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)