|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the "Letter Dated 23 September 1997"?
2. What is the official name of the shtetl?
3. Which statement is an accurate description of Jonathan?
(a) Jonathan is Ukrainian and a pacifist.
(b) Jonathan is an American and a womanizer.
(c) Jonathan is an American and a vegetarian.
(d) Jonathan is Ukrainian and a vegetarian.
4. Who says "I mount the autobus for an hour to work all day doing things I hate. You want to know why? It is for you . . . One day you will do things for me that you hate. That is what it means to be a family" (2)?
(a) Alex's father.
(b) Alex's mother.
(c) Alex's grandfather.
5. What is written on the note Yankel found on his welcome mat?
(a) "Don't look for me. I will not be back."
(b) "I'll be back soon, don't worry."
(c) "I hate you."
(d) "I had to do it for myself."
6. Brod sees a picture in her telescope. What is written on the back?
(a) "I did it for myself."
(b) "This is me with Augustine, February 21, 1943."
(c) "Alex and Jonathan, 1997."
(d) "The Book of Antecedents."
7. Who said "We must go backward in order to go forward" (37)?
(d) The Rabbi.
8. How many entries did the Rabbi receive for the lottery?
9. What does Yankel dream about?
(a) He dreams about his ex-wife.
(b) He dreams about traveling to America.
(c) He dreams about his work.
(d) He dreams about living forever with Brod.
10. What evidence does Yankel, Brod's "father," give that Brod's "mother" loved him?
(b) Love letters that Yankel wrote to himself with his left hand.
(c) Jewelry her "mother" gave him.
(d) Books Brod's mother gave him.
11. What does Jonathan imagine Brod looks like?
(a) Chubby with mismatched eyes.
(b) Tall with green eyes.
(c) Thin with blonde hair.
(d) Skinny with dark hair.
12. Where does Grandfather suggest Jonathan go to fall in love?
(d) New York.
13. In a vision, Brod sees a boy reading from the Book of Antecedents. What is the title of the section he is reading from?
(a) "The dream of living forever with Brod."
(c) "This is me with Augustine, February 21, 1943."
(d) "The First Rape of Brod D."
14. What name is chosen for the shtetl in a lottery?
15. In "The Very Rigid Search," what does Alex say that makes the old woman admit she knows about Trachimbrod?
(a) "Has anyone in this photograph ever witnessed you?"
(b) "Have you ever witnessed anyone in the photograph?"
(c) "Have you ever heard of a town dubbed Sofiowka?"
(d) "Leniency, I do not want to pester you."
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the town divided?
2. Where does Alex keep the money that he saves?
3. Who does Alex fall in love with?
4. Who is Little Igor?
5. In the "Letter Dated 28 October 1997," what does Alex say that he catches his grandfather doing?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)