|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alex claim to be?
(a) An accountant.
(b) An excellent cook.
(d) A lady's man.
2. How many sadness's does Brod discover?
3. Who says "I mount the autobus for an hour to work all day doing things I hate. You want to know why? It is for you . . . One day you will do things for me that you hate. That is what it means to be a family" (2)?
(a) Alex's father.
(c) Alex's mother.
(d) Alex's grandfather.
4. How do Brod and Yankel earn a living?
(a) They rent books from their personal library to the town people.
(b) They work in the field.
(c) They work in the public library.
(d) They fix anything from broken jars to broken doors.
5. Yankel was once known by what other name?
6. According to Alex, why does Sammy Davis, Junior, Junior like Jonathan so much?
(a) She likes his voice.
(b) She likes his cologne.
(c) She likes his story.
(d) She likes his eyes.
7. Why is Little Igor sad on his birthday?
(a) He has a broken leg.
(b) He did not get a bike.
(c) He has a broken arm.
(d) He did not get a cake.
8. How many entries did the Rabbi receive for the lottery?
9. Who is nicknamed the "Clumsy One?"
(d) Little Igor.
10. By the time she is twelve, how many men have proposed to Brod?
(d) Every man in the shtetl.
11. Who is in the photo that Jonathan shows to Alex?
(a) Alex's grandfather and grandmother.
(b) Jonathan and his girlfriend.
(c) Grandfather and Eli.
(d) Jonathan's grandfather and Augustine.
12. Where does Yankel write his life history?
(a) He writes it on his bedroom ceiling.
(b) He writes it in the Book of Antecedents.
(c) He writes it in his diary.
(d) He writes it in the Book of Recurrent Dreams.
13. How long does it take the baby to choose a name?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Two minutes.
(c) Two days.
(d) Seven minutes.
14. What is the most important item found in the river?
(a) A baby girl.
(b) A bag of gold.
(c) Trachim's body.
(d) A treasure chest.
15. Where does Grandfather suggest Jonathan go to fall in love?
(a) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "the bruises go away, and so does how you hate, and so does the feeling that everything you receive in life is something you have earned" (68)?
2. What is Jonathan afraid of?
3. In a vision, Brod sees a boy reading from the Book of Antecedents. What is the title of the section he is reading from?
4. What does Yankel dream about?
5. What does Yankel do with the note that his wife left him?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)