|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lie does Yankel tell himself?
(a) "I am Brod's biological father."
(b) "I am young."
(c) "I am not sad."
(d) "I am strong."
2. In "The Very Rigid Search," what does Alex say that makes the old woman admit she knows about Trachimbrod?
(a) "Have you ever witnessed anyone in the photograph?"
(b) "Have you ever heard of a town dubbed Sofiowka?"
(c) "Leniency, I do not want to pester you."
(d) "Has anyone in this photograph ever witnessed you?"
3. What does Yankel have in his hands when he dies?
(a) A drink and a cigar.
(b) A note and Brod's diary.
(c) A note and his abacus bead.
(d) Lipstick and a book.
4. By the time she is twelve, how many men have proposed to Brod?
(d) Every man in the shtetl.
5. What does Alex do with the money he makes?
(a) He gives it to Little Igor.
(b) He goes to the discotheques.
(c) He spends it on women.
(d) He saves it.
6. Brod sees a picture in her telescope. What is written on the back?
(a) "Alex and Jonathan, 1997."
(b) "I did it for myself."
(c) "The Book of Antecedents."
(d) "This is me with Augustine, February 21, 1943."
7. How is the town divided?
(a) It is divided into the Russian Quarter, the Polish Quarter, and the Jewish Half.
(b) It is divided into the Rich District and the Ghetto.
(c) It is divided into the Jewish Quarter and the Human Three-Quarters.
(d) It is divided into the Jewish Half and the Christian Half.
8. What is Jonathan afraid of?
(a) The truth.
(b) Hurting his grandfather.
(c) Not finding Augustine.
9. What is written on the note Yankel found on his welcome mat?
(a) "I hate you."
(b) "I had to do it for myself."
(c) "I'll be back soon, don't worry."
(d) "Don't look for me. I will not be back."
10. Who said "We must go backward in order to go forward" (37)?
(a) The Rabbi.
11. How long does it take the baby to choose a name?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two minutes.
(d) Seven minutes.
12. What is Yankel doing before he is told he will be a father?
(a) Listening to the Book of Recurrent Dreams.
(b) Working at the flour mill.
(c) Working in the fields.
(d) Flirting with another woman.
13. Who claims that it was Trachim who drove into the river?
14. What is Alex hired to do?
(a) Drive the car.
(b) Carry luggage.
(c) Park cars.
15. What does Yankel dream about?
(a) He dreams about his work.
(b) He dreams about his ex-wife.
(c) He dreams about living forever with Brod.
(d) He dreams about traveling to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is watching Brod when she finds Yankel?
2. In "The Lottery, 1791," who wins the lottery?
3. What do the women of Trachimbrod call Brod behind her back?
4. Who is Little Igor?
5. What is Grandfather hired to do?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)