|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marilyn know that James is having an affair?
2. In Chapter 8, how is the dock at the lake decorated near the fourth of July?
3. Where did the Lee family travel once when Hannah was a baby?
4. What is Louisa wearing when Marilyn goes to her apartment in Chapter 8?
5. Why did Lydia skip Cat Malone's birthday party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What future did Marilyn see for Lydia?
2. What did Nath do after his parents argued about James' affair in Chapter 10?
3. What did Nath do as he got ready to visit Harvard?
4. What did James give Lydia for her birthday, and how did he decide what to give her?
5. How does James describe the buns Louisa made?
6. What does James see at the dock of the lake near the fourth of July, and what did he do?
7. How did the family change as a decade passed after Marilyn left and returned?
8. What were some stories that Marilyn read in the paper the morning Nath left for Harvard?
9. Why did James always teach summer classes?
10. Where did Lydia spend her afternoons in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James and Lydia both felt like outcasts because of their Chinese race. How did being Chinese affect their lives and was it directly related to how they were rejected by society?
Essay Topic 2
Lydia became the center of the Lee family. In what ways did the Lee family revolve around Lydia and how did she feel about being the center of the family?
Essay Topic 3
Lydia believed strongly in promises. When did Lydia make a promise that she kept for the rest of life? How did that promise shape her life and why didn't Lydia ever break it?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)