|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Marilyn meet James?
2. When James took Nath to the pool in Chapter 4, what were the other children playing when they arrived?
3. Who was Nath's middle-school science teacher who took the class on field trips to the cemetery?
4. How old is Louisa?
5. What was Marilyn studying in July when she was living in Toledo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What photographs did Marilyn find when she cleaned out her mother's house after Doris' death?
2. What was it like at the lake when the whole family went?
3. How does Hannah feel about Lydia leaving and how might she have felt if she knew about her mother's disappearance?
4. In what ways do Marilyn and Lydia look alike?
5. What did everyone try to do after Marilyn returned the summer she disappeared, and how did the disappearance affect the family?
6. How did Nath and Lydia spend their days while their mother was gone?
7. Where did Marilyn go at the end of Chapter 4 and what did she plan to do?
8. What did Marilyn's college advisor say when he say her first year class schedule?
9. How would Lydia and Nath fall asleep each evening while their mother was gone?
10. What is the cemetery like in MIddlewood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Marilyn and James knew what it was like to be different. What happened in their lives that made Marilyn and James know what it was like to be different from everyone else around them?
Essay Topic 2
Marilyn's mother died in 1966. How did Marilyn's mother's death affect her and why did it cause Marilyn to examine her own life?
Essay Topic 3
Hannah was nearly invisible in her family. Why was Hannah so unnoticed in her family and why was it her role to creep around in the corners and shadows?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)