|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Olly buy for his sister at the souvenir shop in “Remembrance of Things Present”?
2. What word is described in "Madeline's Dictionary" as "The state of not knowing where one body ends and another begins" (226)?
3. What kind of flowers does Madeline describe in the field in “Geography”?
4. Carla says to Madeline in "Infected," "You're not living if you're not" what (181)?
5. Where in the bed does Olly say he sleeps in "The Murphy Bed"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of “After the Death Of”?
2. What does Madeline write to her mother in “Good-bye”?
3. What purchases do Madeline and Olly make at the souvenir shop in “Remembrance of Things Past"?
4. Why does Madeline's mother claim she has decided to re-hire Carla in “Pretending”?
5. What is revealed in the email Madeline receives in “For My Eyes Only”?
6. How is Olly's friend Zach described in the narrative?
7. Why does Olly express anger toward his mother in “This Time”?
8. How does Madeline go about convincing Olly to run away with her to Hawaii?
9. What is Dr. Chase's assessment of Madeline's condition in “Beginnings and Endings”?
10. How does Madeline perceive her union with Olly in “All the Words”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events that lead to Madeline's first venture from her home in the novel. What causes Madeline to leave her house? How does her mother respond? What are the repercussions of Madeline's departure from her home?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Nurse Janet. What kind of relationship does Madeline form with Nurse Janet? How is Nurse Janet different from Carla? How is she similar or different from Dr. Paula?
Essay Topic 3
What leads up to Madeline's first face-to-face meeting with Olly? Why is this meeting kept secret? How do each of these characters perceive the other based on their first impressions?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)