|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most of what from the original play was preserved for the text?
(a) Original themes.
(b) Original words.
(c) Original morals.
(d) Original characters.
2. What text was Miss Madeleine Grunberg responsible for helping the editor with?
(a) "Noah's Flood."
(b) "The Judgement."
3. According to Isaiah's prologue, whose birth would redeem Adam? ("The Annunciation")
(a) Cain's son.
4. In what language was the text in which Mr. R.L. Thompson helped the editor make comparisons?
5. At the beginning of "The Creation of Adam and Eve", how many days has God completed working?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the "Shepherd's Pageants" originate from?
2. Who does Herod thank at the end of the pageant for his peace? ("Herod the Great")
3. What does Isaiah call himself during his prologue in "The Annunciation"?
4. Where does Woman 3 threaten to hit the soldier? ("Herod the Great")
5. What does God tell Noah about his feelings about mankind? ("The Flood")
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the introduction to "The Annunciation" state as its origin?
2. According to the introduction, what is the importance of "The Fall of Lucifer"?
3. What error did Cawley correct in his Preface to the second edition of the text?
4. From where do some of the features of "Herod the Great" derive?
5. According to the Preface, why did A.C. Cawley choose the collection of plays that he did as a representative collection of medieval biblical pageants?
6. What does Herod order to insure that the Jesus does not make it to adulthood?
7. What does the Introduction state as the tie between the conflict between Cain and Abel?
8. How is the character of Noah's wife, as depicted in the pageants, different from the orthodox theological idea of her?
9. What warning does the Messenger give to the audience (readers and play-viewers alike) in "Herod the Great"?
10. What "justifies" Lucifer's fall from Heaven?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)