|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Jesus' opening soliloquy, what is the only thing that he asks of mankind?
(a) To love him.
(b) To submit to him.
(c) To obey him.
(d) To trust him.
2. What does Jesus' first line in the play translate to mean? ("The Women Taken in Adultery")
(a) I am here in my Father's name.
(b) Love thy neighbor.
(c) I will trust in mankind.
(d) I do not want the sinners to die.
3. What are the soldiers in "The Resurrection" afraid Pilate will do if he finds out that Jesus' tomb is empty?
(a) Put them to death.
(b) Be sentenced by God.
(c) Crucify Jesus again.
(d) Lose the throne.
4. What does Caesar say he will do upon finding out that Jesus is dead? ("The Death of Pilate")
(a) Submit to his aliment.
(c) Confess his own sins.
5. In Scene III, who tells the others to break down the door of a woman's home? ("The Women Taken in Adultery")
(a) The accuser.
(b) A young man.
(c) A scribe.
(d) A pharisee.
6. What does Everyman tell everyone to take up with them on the journey to his grave?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A rosery.
(c) An olive branch.
(d) A cross.
7. What poetic device is used as an "occasional ornament" throughout "The Judgment"?
8. Who participates in a "battle of wits" in "The Women Taken in Adultery"?
(a) Judas and Christ.
(b) God and Paul.
(c) Christ and the Pharisees.
(d) Pilate and Christ.
9. Who was responsible for translating the Cornish trilogy into English?
10. What Finnish play does "Everyman" closely resemble?
(d) "Kymmenen tikkua laudalla. "
11. Who owned the only two complete (the ones preserved between 1510-1535) copies of "Everyman"?
(a) John Skot.
(b) James Vocht.
(c) RIchard Pynson.
(d) Micheal Flemming.
12. Why does Pilate agree to go and see Caesar? ("The Death of Pilate")
(a) He doesn't agree.
(b) He states that he has done nothing wrong.
(c) He claims Caesar is kind to everyone.
(d) He says he is not afarid of Caesar.
13. Who is the first character to speak "The Resurrection"?
14. How many "wits" does Everyman possess?
15. To whom does the Messenger tell Caesar to call for? ("The Death of Pilate")
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Caesar's messenger that Jesus is dead? ("The Death of Pilate")
2. What Christian meaning is "made plain" in "The Women Taken in Adultery"?
3. How many printed copies of "Everyman" were preserved between 1510 and 1535?
4. How does Caiaphas believe Jesus rose from the dead? "The Resurrection")
5. Which of the following does the Messenger state will "fade from thee as a flower in May"? ("Everyman")
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)