|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what proper name does Everyman call Confession?
2. What does God perceive as he was sitting in Heaven? ("Everyman")
(a) That no one loves him anymore.
(b) That Heaven is the only good place left.
(c) That the time has come to break his promise.
(d) All on Earth have been ungrateful to him.
3. On whose table does Everyman want his name written upon?
4. Who owned the only two complete (the ones preserved between 1510-1535) copies of "Everyman"?
(a) RIchard Pynson.
(b) Micheal Flemming.
(c) James Vocht.
(d) John Skot.
5. How many line stanzas were used in "The Crucifixion"?
6. Why does Everyman say that Death was wrong for coming when he did?
(a) Because Death should not come when one is young.
(b) Because Death gave no warning.
(c) Because Death is not real.
(d) Because Death just took his wife.
7. What device is defined as the linking of stanzas by means of verbal repetition?
8. How many printed copies of "Everyman" were preserved between 1510 and 1535?
9. What does Everyman tell everyone to take up with them on the journey to his grave?
(a) A cross.
(b) A rosery.
(c) A prayer.
(d) An olive branch.
10. Who was responsible for translating the Cornish trilogy into English?
11. In what "non-dramatic literature" does the introduction state the legend of "The Harrowing of Hell" appears?
(a) "Layamon's Brut."
(c) "Sumer Is Icumen In."
(d) "Piers Plowman."
12. Upon what item does Veronica possess that shows a print of Jesus' face? ("The Death of Pilate")
(a) A shrowd.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A tapestry.
(d) A dress.
13. What does Jesus' first line in the play translate to mean? ("The Women Taken in Adultery")
(a) Love thy neighbor.
(b) I will trust in mankind.
(c) I am here in my Father's name.
(d) I do not want the sinners to die.
14. According to the introduction to "The Crucifixion", which pageants "make a direct assault on the feelings of the audience"?
(a) Chester and N. Town.
(b) Towneley and Chester.
(c) York and Towneley.
(d) N. Town and York.
15. What does Pilate have that protects him? ("The Death of Pilate")
(a) A garment of Jesus'.
(b) A charm from a soothsayer.
(c) A posion that protects him.
(d) A promise from God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the fourth soldier call Jesus as he calls to the other soldiers to work together during the crucifixion?
2. What does Jesus say as he enters hell? ("The Harrowing of Hell")
3. In what gospel is Jesus' descent into hell depicted?
4. Who is the first speaker in Scene I of "The Harrowing Hell"?
5. What does Caesar believe about Pilate the first time he sees him? ("The Death of Pilate")
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)