|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Scene II open? ("The Annunciation")
(a) Mary's home.
(b) Garden of Eden.
(c) The fields near Joseph's home.
(d) Joseph's home.
2. What does God call Noah (in regard to character)? ("The Flood")
3. At the opening of "The Flood", from where is God speaking to Noah?
(a) A tree.
(c) A high place.
4. How does Herod reward the soldiers for murdering the children? ("Herod the Great")
(a) With money.
(b) With imprisonment.
(c) With knighthood.
(d) With land.
5. Where does Scene I ("Cain and Abel") open?
(a) Near Cain's home.
(b) Near Adam's home.
(c) In Adam's home.
(d) In a field.
6. What is the original name for Bethlehem in the text? ("The Annunciation")
7. How many children did the soldiers state that they had murdered? ("Herod the Great")
8. What are the two literary pieces that survive from secular drama of the Middle Ages?
(a) "Malleus Malfacirium" and "Everyman".
(b) "Pilgrams Progress" and "Robin Hood".
(c) "Everyman" and "Merchant of Veince".
(d) "de Clerico et Puella" and "Robin Hood".
9. Who does Herod thank at the end of the pageant for his peace? ("Herod the Great")
10. According to the Introduction, what "type" did Cain represent?
(a) "The Secular World."
(c) "The Realism of the World."
(d) "The Decline of Mankind."
11. Occasionally, why have the archaic forms not been modernized for the convenience of the reader?
(a) For the sake of author intent.
(b) For the sake of rhyme.
(c) For the sake of authenticity.
(d) For the sake of literature.
12. Whose "doubt", according to the introduction to "The Annunciation", occurs in all English cycles?
(c) The apostles.
13. According to the Introduction, what "type" did Abel represent?
(a) "A Sacrifice for Mankind."
(b) "Christ the Good Shepherd."
(c) "A Type of the Jews."
(d) "The Hope for Mankind."
14. In the plays, what directions are bracketed?
(a) Sound directions.
(b) Editorial directions.
(c) Lighting directions.
(d) Stage directions.
15. What does Abel offer to God as a sacrifice in Scene III? ("Cain and Abel")
(a) A rooster.
(b) A lamb.
(c) A bundle of corn.
(d) A goat.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the opening of Scene I, what is Abraham doing? ("Abraham and Isaac")
2. At the beginning of "The Creation of Adam and Eve", how many days has God completed working?
3. What text did the editor use for his translation of "Everyman"?
4. According to Gabriel, who will "shadow" Mary's soul? ("The Annunciation")
5. How old is Jesus when Herod finds out about his birth? ("Herod the Great")
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)