|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which play did the introduction to "Abraham and Isaac" claim had been the superior one?
(a) The Preston play.
(b) The Chester play.
(c) The Waterhouse play.
(d) The Brome play.
2. Why does Herod believe that the Christ child was born? ("Herod the Great")
(a) To anger him.
(b) To challenge his kingdom.
(c) To murder him.
(d) To help mankind.
3. At the opening of "The Flood", from where is God speaking to Noah?
(a) A high place.
(b) A tree.
4. What is the messenger warning the audience about? ("Herod the Great")
(a) About the coming of Satan.
(b) About the cost of laughter.
(c) About the price of silence.
(d) About the wrath of Herod.
5. What does Woman 2 threaten to do to the solider trying to kill her son? ("Herod the Great")
(a) Hangs him in the gallows.
(b) Drowns him in the river.
(c) Breaks the hand he touches her son with.
(d) Cleaves his scalp.
6. In what year did the burning of the Free Reference Library at Birmingham occur?
7. Why does Noah's wife say that she would be no help to the building of the Ark? ("The Flood")
(a) She needed to cook.
(b) Women are weak.
(c) She needed to sew.
(d) She needed to prepare for the journey.
8. Most of what from the original play was preserved for the text?
(a) Original morals.
(b) Original words.
(c) Original characters.
(d) Original themes.
9. Where did the third shepherd tell the others he had left their sheep? ("The Second Shepherds' Pageant")
(a) In the barn.
(b) In the corn.
(c) In the pasture.
(d) In the wheat.
10. Who, in "The Annunciation", does Isaiah claim has given mankind a mortal wound?
(a) The serpent.
11. According to the Introduction, what "type" did Cain represent?
(a) "The Secular World."
(b) "The Realism of the World."
(d) "The Decline of Mankind."
12. What does Isaac recognize about his father's mood right before their sacrifice? ("Abraham and Isaac")
(a) He is very cheerful.
(b) He is not cheerful.
(c) He is joyous.
(d) He is livid.
13. According to the Introduction, what is known about the authors of the miracle plays?
(a) Their religious convictions only.
(b) Everything in their lives.
(c) Only about their full created texts.
(d) Very little.
14. What does Eve say she and Adam would be if they ate the apple? ("The Fall of Man")
15. What text did the editor use for his translation of "Everyman"?
(a) "Every Man and the Plays."
(b) "Everyman: The Original English Text."
(c) "Everyman and Other Interludes."
(d) "Everyman and the Medieval Plays."
Short Answer Questions
1. At the opening of "Herod the Great", what is the messenger asking the audience to do?
2. In the Wakefield Shepherd Pageants, how many line stanzas did the author use?
3. At the end of "Cain and Abel", what does Cain state that he wanted to hide from?
4. Who does the second shepherd say "cackles" in Scene I? ("The Second Shepherds' Pageant")
5. What does Abraham ask of God in regard to Isaac? ("Abraham and Isaac")
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)