|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Maggie weds, what is Ms. Johnson free to sit in her yard and do?
2. How many sons does Ms. Johnson have?
3. Why does Dee think the quilts will become rags in five years?
4. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
5. What noises tell Ms. Johnson someone is standing outside the room in which she and Wangero are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
2. How did Dee react when her mother offered her a quilt before Dee left for college and what has caused her to change her opinion about having a quilt now?
3. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
4. Describe the Johnson family home.
5. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
6. Which character in "Everyday Use" is a foil character and what helps identify that character as a foil character?
7. What does Maggie's smile at the end of "Everyday Use" indicate?
8. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
9. What information is revealed about Grandma Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she never appears onstage?
10. What is the significance of the title of "Everyday Use?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The predominant characters in "Everyday Use" are women. Male characters have minor roles and only one male character, Hakim-a-barber, actually appears on stage in the story. Discuss the role of male characters in the story and what you think the author is saying about Black culture by having female characters dominate her story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," the character of Dee is romantically involved with Johnny T and later with Hakim-a-barber. Compare and contrast Dee's relationship with Johnny T and her relationship with Hakim-a-barber. Which one seems more harmonious and why? What does each relationship reveal about Dee at the stage in her life when she was involved with each man? Does Dee demonstrate any character growth from one relationship to the other? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Hakim-a-barber and how he illustrates Black Muslim culture in the story. What do you think Alice Walker is saying about Black Muslims through him? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)