|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker take place?
2. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
3. What does Maggie wear for Dee's arrival in "Everyday Use"?
4. Why does Dee change her name?
5. To whom does Ms. Johnson promise to give the quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Alice Walker never names the narrator of this story. The reader is told only that she is a member of the Johnson family. What might the author of "Everyday Use" have intended to convey about the character of Ms. Johnson by not naming her?
2. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
3. Why are the hairstyles of Hakim-a-barber and Dee/Wangero described in such detail in the story while Maggie and Ms. Johnson's hairstyles are not described?
4. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
5. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
6. How do African Americans change from the days of Ms. Johnson's youth in the 1920s to the era of the 1960s in which the story "Everyday People" is set?
7. What other folk art is mentioned in "Everyday Use" besides quilting?
8. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
9. How strong is Ms. Johnson physically and what might her physical strength indicate about her inner strength?
10. Discuss the role of Great Grandpa Ezra in "Everyday Use."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ms. Johnson's dream about appearing on the Johnny Carson show with Dee. What significance do you think this dream has to the story? What does the dream reveal about Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter? What does the dream reveal about Ms. Johnson's feelings about herself versus how she wishes she was? What do you think Alice Walker is trying to say through this dream? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the references to church and religion in "Everyday Use." Give at least three examples of how religion is used in the text. What do you think Alice Walker is saying about the influence of religion on southern Black culture and on African American culture in general?
Essay Topic 3
Dee changes her name to Wangero in "Everyday Use." Discuss this name change citing examples from the text to support your arguments.
Part I: Discuss what Dee's name change indicates about her character.
Part II: Discuss what Dee's name change indicates about the era in which she lives.
Part III: Discuss what Dee's name change illustrates about her relationship with her family.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)