|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ms. Johnson snatches Grandma Dee's quilts from Wangero's hands, into whose hands does she place them?
2. What does the person who wants the butter churn top slide over it as if trying to see how it will look in her own home?
3. What does Wangero plan to do with the quilts?
4. Why does Dee change her name?
5. What happens to Ms. Johnson in 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
2. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
3. What does the way Maggie walks and carries herself indicate?
4. Why does Ms. Johnson prefer that the hand-stitched quilts go to Maggie instead of Dee?
5. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
6. Which character in "Everyday Use" is a foil character and what helps identify that character as a foil character?
7. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
8. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
9. Describe John Thomas and his role in the story.
10. What kind of life has Ms. Johnson lived?
Essay Topic 1
The predominant characters in "Everyday Use" are women. Male characters have minor roles and only one male character, Hakim-a-barber, actually appears on stage in the story. Discuss the role of male characters in the story and what you think the author is saying about Black culture by having female characters dominate her story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Hakim-a-barber and how he illustrates Black Muslim culture in the story. What do you think Alice Walker is saying about Black Muslims through him? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Maggie and Dee have very different ideas of what their family heritage is. Compare and contrast how each sister defines heritage and the role Grandma Dee's quilts and the family butter churn and other heirlooms play in their concepts of heritage. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 2,096 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)