|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
2. How many rooms did the Johnsons' previous house have?
3. What does Ms. Johnson believe Maggie thinks her portion from God is?
4. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
5. In "Everyday Use," whose school closes after second grade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
2. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
3. Explain Ms. Johnson's feelings about white people.
4. What kind of life has Ms. Johnson lived?
5. In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," who is the antagonist of the story and what identifies that character as the antagonist?
6. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
7. What does the way Maggie walks and carries herself indicate?
8. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
9. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
10. How strong is Ms. Johnson physically and what might her physical strength indicate about her inner strength?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in "Everyday Use." Give three examples of symbolism in the story and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 2
Maggie and Dee have very different ideas of what their family heritage is. Compare and contrast how each sister defines heritage and the role Grandma Dee's quilts and the family butter churn and other heirlooms play in their concepts of heritage. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the references to church and religion in "Everyday Use." Give at least three examples of how religion is used in the text. What do you think Alice Walker is saying about the influence of religion on southern Black culture and on African American culture in general?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)