|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unpleasant truth does Ms. Johnson say Maggie realizes about herself?
2. Which character in "Everyday Use" has no education?
3. What color is Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
4. What does Ms. Johnson offer Wangero instead of the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
5. In what point of view is "Everyday Use" told?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Johnson family home.
2. What other folk art is mentioned in "Everyday Use" besides quilting?
3. Explain the difference in what Dee wants to use her mother's quilts and the way Maggie wants to use the quilts.
4. How did Dee react when her mother offered her a quilt before Dee left for college and what has caused her to change her opinion about having a quilt now?
5. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
6. What kind of life has Ms. Johnson lived?
7. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
8. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
9. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
10. To whom is Dee referring when she says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandma Dee, Aunt Dicie or Big Dee, Grandpa Jarrell, Great-Grandpa Ezra and John Thomas are mentioned in "Everyday Use" but never appear on stage. Discuss these minor characters from the story and how the author uses them to illustrate her themes of family and community. Are there any other themes you think the author uses the characters to convey? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of color in the story. Select at least three examples from the following list and discuss what they mean and how the author uses them to convey a theme or depict a character: Dee's white heels, Dee's yellow organdy dress, Dee's green suit, Dee's yellow and orange dress, Dee's gold earrings and bracelets, or Maggie's pink skirt and red blouse.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Maggie and Dee. Does Dee exhibit any sisterly feelings toward Maggie? Do either of the girls love the other one? Is Maggie's rivalry with Dee mutual or is it just one-sided? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 2,105 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)