|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the weather when Dee comes to visit her family?
2. Which character in "Everyday Use" always looks anyone in the eye because hesitation is not part of her nature?
3. Which Johnson women know how to quilt?
4. What scraps of Grandma Dee's clothing are in the quilts?
5. In what is the Johnson home located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maggie's smile at the end of "Everyday Use" indicate?
2. To whom is Dee referring when she says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story?
3. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
4. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
5. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
6. Why does Dee include the house in every picture she takes with her camera if she dislikes the house?
7. Discuss the role of Great Grandpa Ezra in "Everyday Use."
8. Ms. Johnson's dream involves appearing on television with Dee and having Dee thank her for her role in Dee's succee. Is there any evidence in "Everyday Use" that Dee appreciate her mother's role in her success?
9. Why does Dee change her name to Wangero in "Everyday Use?"
10. What is the significance of Dee's always wanting to read to people in her youth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of color in the story. Select at least three examples from the following list and discuss what they mean and how the author uses them to convey a theme or depict a character: Dee's white heels, Dee's yellow organdy dress, Dee's green suit, Dee's yellow and orange dress, Dee's gold earrings and bracelets, or Maggie's pink skirt and red blouse.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the references to church and religion in "Everyday Use." Give at least three examples of how religion is used in the text. What do you think Alice Walker is saying about the influence of religion on southern Black culture and on African American culture in general?
Essay Topic 3
Ms. Johnson is the narrator of "Everyday Use." Do you think she is the most appropriate narrator for this story? Why or why not? Discuss her effectiveness as narrator and how the story would change if Dee or Maggie narrated it instead. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)