|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What facial expression does Maggie have after her sister leaves?
2. In the story's first paragraph, to which room of the house does Ms. Johnson compare her yard, saying it's an extension of that room?
3. How does Dee greet her mother and sister?
4. What does Jimmy T do soon after breaking up with Dee?
5. Which character in "Everyday Use" doesn't read well due to poor eyesight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
2. How do African Americans change from the days of Ms. Johnson's youth in the 1920s to the era of the 1960s in which the story "Everyday People" is set?
3. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
4. Describe the Johnson family home.
5. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
6. Why does Dee include the house in every picture she takes with her camera if she dislikes the house?
7. What do the Johnson family heirlooms like the butter churn and patchwork quilts indicate about the Johnson family and about southern Black culture?
8. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
9. What level of education does Dee have and how does it differ from the educational levels of her mother and sister?
10. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ms. Johnson is the narrator of "Everyday Use." Do you think she is the most appropriate narrator for this story? Why or why not? Discuss her effectiveness as narrator and how the story would change if Dee or Maggie narrated it instead. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," the character of Dee is romantically involved with Johnny T and later with Hakim-a-barber. Compare and contrast Dee's relationship with Johnny T and her relationship with Hakim-a-barber. Which one seems more harmonious and why? What does each relationship reveal about Dee at the stage in her life when she was involved with each man? Does Dee demonstrate any character growth from one relationship to the other? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Education is a theme in "Everyday Use." Discuss how Alice Walker depicts this theme and what you think she is saying about education in the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)