|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Ms. Johnson have?
2. In what is the Johnson home located?
3. How many rooms did the Johnsons' previous house have?
4. What does the person who wants the butter churn top slide over it as if trying to see how it will look in her own home?
5. What does Wangero tell Maggie to do at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is revealed about Grandma Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she never appears onstage?
2. What is Maggie's relationship with Dee like?
3. Discuss the role of Great Grandpa Ezra in "Everyday Use."
4. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
5. What is the significance of the title of "Everyday Use?"
6. What does Maggie's smile at the end of "Everyday Use" indicate?
7. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
8. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
9. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
10. What do the Johnson family heirlooms like the butter churn and patchwork quilts indicate about the Johnson family and about southern Black culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," the character of Dee is romantically involved with Johnny T and later with Hakim-a-barber. Compare and contrast Dee's relationship with Johnny T and her relationship with Hakim-a-barber. Which one seems more harmonious and why? What does each relationship reveal about Dee at the stage in her life when she was involved with each man? Does Dee demonstrate any character growth from one relationship to the other? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Johnson family's quilts are a recurring motif throughout "Everyday Use." Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in "Everyday Use." Give three examples of symbolism in the story and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 2,106 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)