|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson think that Dee had at age sixteen?
2. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
3. What does Ms. Johnson believe Maggie thinks her portion from God is?
4. What scraps of Grandma Dee's clothing are in the quilts?
5. Who makes the dining benches on which the Johnsons and Hakim-a-barber sit during dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character in "Everyday Use" is a foil character and what helps identify that character as a foil character?
2. Are the Johnsons in "Everyday Use" typical or atypical for rural southern Black families living in the era in which the story is set?
3. What does Maggie wear for Dee's visit and what does her outfit illustrate about her character?
4. Explain Ms. Johnson's feelings about white people.
5. What kind of life has Ms. Johnson lived?
6. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
7. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
8. What does the way Maggie walks and carries herself indicate?
9. What do the Johnson family heirlooms like the butter churn and patchwork quilts indicate about the Johnson family and about southern Black culture?
10. What other folk art is mentioned in "Everyday Use" besides quilting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Maggie, Dee/Wangero, and Mrs. Johnson in "Everyday Use." Which sister do you think is most like their mother and why? Which character or characters do you think represent southern Black culture? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Hakim-a-barber and how he illustrates Black Muslim culture in the story. What do you think Alice Walker is saying about Black Muslims through him? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Maggie and Dee. Does Dee exhibit any sisterly feelings toward Maggie? Do either of the girls love the other one? Is Maggie's rivalry with Dee mutual or is it just one-sided? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)