|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does the Johnsons' current house have?
2. Who is Dee's father?
3. Who is the first male character to appear onstage in "Everyday Use?"
4. Who escapes unharmed from the tragedy that befell the old Johnson house?
5. Who is the protagonist in "Everyday Use?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Ms. Johnson's dream involves appearing on television with Dee and having Dee thank her for her role in Dee's succee. Is there any evidence in "Everyday Use" that Dee appreciate her mother's role in her success?
2. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
3. What level of education does Dee have and how does it differ from the educational levels of her mother and sister?
4. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
5. What references to racial prejudice are there in "Everyday Use?"
6. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
7. How did Dee react when her mother offered her a quilt before Dee left for college and what has caused her to change her opinion about having a quilt now?
8. How does Dee differ from her mother and sister?
9. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
10. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," the character of Dee is romantically involved with Johnny T and later with Hakim-a-barber. Compare and contrast Dee's relationship with Johnny T and her relationship with Hakim-a-barber. Which one seems more harmonious and why? What does each relationship reveal about Dee at the stage in her life when she was involved with each man? Does Dee demonstrate any character growth from one relationship to the other? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Maggie and Dee. Does Dee exhibit any sisterly feelings toward Maggie? Do either of the girls love the other one? Is Maggie's rivalry with Dee mutual or is it just one-sided? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in "Everyday Use." Give three examples of symbolism in the story and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)