Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
2. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
3. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
4. To what group of people does Ms. Johnson ask Hakim-a-barber if he belongs?
5. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Maggie like?
2. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Dee like?
3. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
4. Which Johnson sister knows how to quilt and what does her ability illustrate about her character?
5. Describe John Thomas and his role in the story.
6. Why does Ms. Johnson agree to call Dee by the African name Wangero after reminding Dee of the family heritage behind her birth name?
7. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
8. Why does Ms. Johnson prefer that the hand-stitched quilts go to Maggie instead of Dee?
9. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
10. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
Discuss Ms. Johnson's dream about appearing on the Johnny Carson show with Dee. What significance do you think this dream has to the story? What does the dream reveal about Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter? What does the dream reveal about Ms. Johnson's feelings about herself versus how she wishes she was? What do you think Alice Walker is trying to say through this dream? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Dee changes her name to Wangero in "Everyday Use." Discuss this name change citing examples from the text to support your arguments.
Part I: Discuss what Dee's name change indicates about her character.
Part II: Discuss what Dee's name change indicates about the era in which she lives.
Part III: Discuss what Dee's name change illustrates about her relationship with her family.
The Johnson family's quilts are a recurring motif throughout "Everyday Use." Cite three examples from the text of the use of this motif and discuss what you think it represents in each example.
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)