|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of windows does the current Johnson home have?
2. Who in the Johnson family had the name Dee before Dee and the woman for whom Dee was named?
3. In what is the Johnson home located?
4. After whom does Ms. Johnson name Dee?
5. What does Dee's companion do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom is Dee referring when she says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story?
2. What does Maggie wear for Dee's visit and what does her outfit illustrate about her character?
3. In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," who is the antagonist of the story and what identifies that character as the antagonist?
4. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
5. Why does Ms. Johnson's clean her yard prior to Dee's visit at the beginning of Alice Walker's "Everyday Use?"
6. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
7. Describe the Johnson family home.
8. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
9. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
10. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Dee like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dee changes her name to Wangero in "Everyday Use." Discuss this name change citing examples from the text to support your arguments.
Part I: Discuss what Dee's name change indicates about her character.
Part II: Discuss what Dee's name change indicates about the era in which she lives.
Part III: Discuss what Dee's name change illustrates about her relationship with her family.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in "Everyday Use." Give three examples of symbolism in the story and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 3
Maggie and Dee have very different ideas of what their family heritage is. Compare and contrast how each sister defines heritage and the role Grandma Dee's quilts and the family butter churn and other heirlooms play in their concepts of heritage. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 2,179 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)