|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wraps Ms. Johnson's dasher right there at the dinner table?
2. When Ms. Johnson finds Wangero's name hard to pronounce, what does Wangero say?
3. Which Johnson family member possesses the most self confidence?
4. How far back can Ms. Johnson trace her family tree?
5. How many characters in "Everyday Use" own cars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is revealed about Grandma Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she never appears onstage?
2. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
3. What was Dee like at sixteen?
4. Why does Ms. Johnson's clean her yard prior to Dee's visit at the beginning of Alice Walker's "Everyday Use?"
5. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
6. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
7. What other folk art is mentioned in "Everyday Use" besides quilting?
8. Describe John Thomas and his role in the story.
9. Alice Walker never names the narrator of this story. The reader is told only that she is a member of the Johnson family. What might the author of "Everyday Use" have intended to convey about the character of Ms. Johnson by not naming her?
10. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is a theme in "Everyday Use." Discuss how Alice Walker depicts this theme and what you think she is saying about education in the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in "Everyday Use." Give three examples of symbolism in the story and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the references to church and religion in "Everyday Use." Give at least three examples of how religion is used in the text. What do you think Alice Walker is saying about the influence of religion on southern Black culture and on African American culture in general?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)