|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy T do soon after breaking up with Dee?
2. After whom does Ms. Johnson name Dee?
3. What happens to Ms. Johnson in 1949?
4. Who tells Ms. Johnson she doesn't understand her heritage?
5. Which member of the Johnson family always criticizes the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the history behind Dee's birth name?
2. To whom is Dee referring when she says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story?
3. Which character in "Everyday Use" is a foil character and what helps identify that character as a foil character?
4. How does Dee differ from her mother and sister?
5. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
6. Why does Dee change her name to Wangero in "Everyday Use?"
7. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
8. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
9. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
10. What is the significance of the title of "Everyday Use?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Everyday Use" was published in 1973 and the characters have lived through the growth of the civil rights movement in the 1960s. Discuss how the geographical, chronological and cultural settings affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Alice Walker had set it in the north or during the antebellum era instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Education is a theme in "Everyday Use." Discuss how Alice Walker depicts this theme and what you think she is saying about education in the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Maggie and Dee have very different ideas of what their family heritage is. Compare and contrast how each sister defines heritage and the role Grandma Dee's quilts and the family butter churn and other heirlooms play in their concepts of heritage. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)