Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
2. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
3. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
4. To what group of people does Ms. Johnson ask Hakim-a-barber if he belongs?
5. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Maggie like?
2. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Dee like?
3. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
4. Which Johnson sister knows how to quilt and what does her ability illustrate about her character?
5. Describe John Thomas and his role in the story.
6. Why does Ms. Johnson agree to call Dee by the African name Wangero after reminding Dee of the family heritage behind her birth name?
7. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
8. Why does Ms. Johnson prefer that the hand-stitched quilts go to Maggie instead of Dee?
9. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
10. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
Essay Topic 1
Alice Walker writes "Everyday Use" in the first person point of view. Discuss why you think the author selected the first person viewpoint. Also discuss whether or not you think first person is an effective viewpoint for this story and why or why not. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the references to church and religion in "Everyday Use." Give at least three examples of how religion is used in the text. What do you think Alice Walker is saying about the influence of religion on southern Black culture and on African American culture in general?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Hakim-a-barber and how he illustrates Black Muslim culture in the story. What do you think Alice Walker is saying about Black Muslims through him? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)