|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of jewelry does Dee wear for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(a) A silver wristwatch.
(b) Gold earrings and bracelets.
(c) A ruby pendant.
(d) Pear earrings.
2. Who hates the current Johnson house as well as the old Johnson house?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
3. Which character in "Everyday Use" delights in the chitlins and corn bread, greens and sweet potatoes Ms. Johnson serves for dinner during Dee's visit?
(d) John Thomas.
4. Who puts on a pair of sunglasses at the end of "Everyday Use"?
(d) Ms. Johnson.
5. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
(a) Embroidered pillow cases.
(b) Two quilts pieced by Grandma Dee.
(c) Old family photos.
(d) Her old baby clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Johnson women are Dee?
2. Who in the Johnson family had the name Dee before Dee and the woman for whom Dee was named?
3. Who keeps trying to shake Maggie's hand at the reunion?
4. What is the first thing out of the car upon Dee's arrival that identifies Dee to Ms. Johnson?
5. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
2. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
3. How does Dee differ from her mother and sister?
4. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
5. What does the way Maggie walks and carries herself indicate?
6. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
7. Why does Ms. Johnson's clean her yard prior to Dee's visit at the beginning of Alice Walker's "Everyday Use?"
8. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
9. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
10. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)