|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson say could be done if the quilts do become rags in five years?
(a) Maggie could make herself some new quilts.
(b) Ms. Johnson could knit Maggie some blankets.
(c) Ms. Johnson could buy new quilts for Maggie.
(d) Maggie could buy new quilts.
2. Which of the following is not in a Polaroid of the Johnson family reunion?
(b) A cow.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
3. What kind of soil comprises Ms. Johnson's yard?
(a) Rich, dark brown earth.
(b) Red earth.
(c) Dry, dusty soil.
(d) Hard clay.
4. What does Wangero tell Maggie to do at the end of the story?
(a) Try to make something of herself.
(b) Get married.
(c) Give up the hand-stitched quilts.
(d) Buy more stylish clothing.
5. What does Ms. Johnson think Dee's companion does for a living because of his name?
(a) She thinks he's a barber.
(b) She thinks he's a college professor.
(c) She thinks he's a lawyer.
(d) She thinks he's a Musllim preacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. When their school closes after the second grade, why don't the local Blacks protest?
2. When Ms. Johnson snatches Grandma Dee's quilts from Wangero's hands, into whose hands does she place them?
3. Who is the antagonist in "Everyday Use?"
4. Which character in "Everyday Use" always looks anyone in the eye because hesitation is not part of her nature?
5. Who takes Polaroids of the Johnson family reunion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How strong is Ms. Johnson physically and what might her physical strength indicate about her inner strength?
2. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
3. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
4. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
5. Why doesn't Dee think Maggie deserves their mother's two hand-stitched quilts?
6. Ms. Johnson's dream involves appearing on television with Dee and having Dee thank her for her role in Dee's succee. Is there any evidence in "Everyday Use" that Dee appreciate her mother's role in her success?
7. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Dee like?
8. What is Maggie's relationship with Dee like?
9. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
10. Why does Ms. Johnson prefer that the hand-stitched quilts go to Maggie instead of Dee?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)