|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ms. Johnson used to think Dee felt about Maggie?
(a) That Dee considered Maggie an embarrassment.
(b) That Dee was jealous of Maggie.
(c) That Dee adored Maggie.
(d) That Dee hated Maggie.
2. Who is Maggie's father?
(b) The story never reveals this fact.
(d) John Thomas.
3. After dinner, who goes into Ms. Johnson's room and riffles through the trunk at the foot of Ms. Johnson's bed?
(b) Ms. Johnson.
4. What one thing does the person taking the Polaroids make sure is always included in each picture?
(a) The Johnson house.
(b) Ms. Johnson.
5. On what occasion has Ms. Johnson offered Dee a quilt in the past?
(a) The previous Christmas.
(b) Dee's eighteenth birthday.
(c) Dee's high school graduation.
(d) When Dee left for college.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does the Johnsons' current house have?
2. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
3. Who does Maggie marry?
4. Which character in "Everyday Use" goes to school in Augusta on money Ms. Johnson and her church raise?
5. What does Ms. Johnson say could be done if the quilts do become rags in five years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Dee think Maggie deserves their mother's two hand-stitched quilts?
2. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
3. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
4. What does Hakim-a-barber's car indicate about his character and Dee's?
5. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
6. Ms. Johnson's dream involves appearing on television with Dee and having Dee thank her for her role in Dee's succee. Is there any evidence in "Everyday Use" that Dee appreciate her mother's role in her success?
7. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
8. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
9. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
10. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)