|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
(a) Maggie's wedding to John Thomas.
(c) Maggie's birthday.
2. What happens to Ms. Johnson in 1949?
(a) She gets hooked in the side by a cow.
(b) She has a heart attack.
(c) She is in a car wreck.
(d) She contracts polio.
3. What does the person who wants the butter churn top slide over it as if trying to see how it will look in her own home?
(a) A tablecloth.
(b) A dish towel.
(c) An arrangement of wildflowers.
(d) A dinner plate.
4. Who is the protagonist in "Everyday Use?"
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(b) Aunt Dicie.
5. What facial expression does Maggie have after her sister leaves?
(b) A frown.
(c) One of ire.
(d) A smile.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who learns to quilt from Grandma Dee and Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
2. Once Maggie weds, what is Ms. Johnson free to sit in her yard and do?
3. What sound does Maggie make when she sees Dee's companion?
4. At the end of the story, what quilts does Ms. Johnson tell Dee to take back to the city with her?
5. What kind of windows does the current Johnson home have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What level of education does Dee have and how does it differ from the educational levels of her mother and sister?
2. Alice Walker never names the narrator of this story. The reader is told only that she is a member of the Johnson family. What might the author of "Everyday Use" have intended to convey about the character of Ms. Johnson by not naming her?
3. What religion is Ms. Johnson in "Everyday Use" and what does her religion indicate about her character?
4. What does Hakim-a-barber's car indicate about his character and Dee's?
5. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
6. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
7. Why are the hairstyles of Hakim-a-barber and Dee/Wangero described in such detail in the story while Maggie and Ms. Johnson's hairstyles are not described?
8. Why does Ms. Johnson prefer that the hand-stitched quilts go to Maggie instead of Dee?
9. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
10. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)