|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters are mentioned in "Everyday Use" but do not actually appear on stage?
(a) Maggie and John Thomas.
(b) Grandma Dee, Aunt Dicie, and Grandpa Jarrell.
(c) Great Grandpa Ezra, John Thomas, and Hakim-a-barber.
(d) Hakim-a-barber and Wangero.
2. What does Maggie wear for Dee's arrival in "Everyday Use"?
(a) A mini skirt.
(b) Blue jeans and a white blouse.
(d) A pink skirt and red blouse.
3. Who takes Polaroids of the Johnson family reunion?
(b) Mrs. Johnson.
4. What does Ms. Johnson think Dee's companion does for a living because of his name?
(a) She thinks he's a lawyer.
(b) She thinks he's a college professor.
(c) She thinks he's a Musllim preacher.
(d) She thinks he's a barber.
5. To whom does Ms. Johnson promise to give the quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what has Ms. Johnson primarily been concerned all her life?
2. In what is the Johnson home located?
3. What kind of jobs has Ms. Johnson always done well?
4. Who tells Ms. Johnson she doesn't understand her heritage?
5. In real life, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hakim-a-barber's car indicate about his character and Dee's?
2. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Dee like?
3. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
4. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
5. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
6. What does Maggie wear for Dee's visit and what does her outfit illustrate about her character?
7. In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," who is the antagonist of the story and what identifies that character as the antagonist?
8. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
9. What other folk art is mentioned in "Everyday Use" besides quilting?
10. Why does Dee change her name to Wangero in "Everyday Use?"
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)