|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who keeps trying to shake Maggie's hand at the reunion?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(b) John Thomas.
2. When Ms. Johnson offers Dee a quilt in the past, what is Dee's reaction?
(a) She doesn't want it because it is old-fashioned.
(b) She wants to learn to quilt herself.
(c) She loves the idea, takes the quilt and asks for more.
(d) She does't want it because it is too plain.
3. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
(a) Uncle Henry.
(b) Uncle Buddy.
(c) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(d) Grandpa Jarrell.
4. What drives Jimmy T, a former suitor, away from Dee?
(a) She isn't smart enough for him.
(b) She cheats on him.
(c) She isn't rich enough for him.
(d) She criticizes him too much.
5. How does Hakim-a-barber feel about the group of people to which Ms. Johnson asks if he belongs?
(a) He shares their doctrines, but doesn't farm or raise cattle.
(b) He hates them.
(c) He considers them allies.
(d) He disagrees with their doctrines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson remember from the tragedy that befell her home ten to twelve years earlier?
2. What is the nickname of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn dasher?
3. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
4. How far back can Ms. Johnson trace her family tree?
5. What does Ms. Johnson ask Maggie to bring her at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is revealed about Grandma Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she never appears onstage?
2. Why does Ms. Johnson's clean her yard prior to Dee's visit at the beginning of Alice Walker's "Everyday Use?"
3. What other folk art is mentioned in "Everyday Use" besides quilting?
4. What religion is Ms. Johnson in "Everyday Use" and what does her religion indicate about her character?
5. Ms. Johnson's dream involves appearing on television with Dee and having Dee thank her for her role in Dee's succee. Is there any evidence in "Everyday Use" that Dee appreciate her mother's role in her success?
6. What does the way Maggie walks and carries herself indicate?
7. Describe the Johnson family home.
8. What is Maggie's relationship with Dee like?
9. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
10. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Dee like?
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)