|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound does Maggie make when she sees Dee's companion?
(a) A scream.
(b) A hearty laugh.
(c) A sob.
2. Once Maggie weds, what is Ms. Johnson free to sit in her yard and do?
(a) Raise flowers.
(b) Sing church songs.
(c) Plant corn.
3. What scraps of Grandma Dee's clothing are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of her old flannel nightgowns.
(b) Pieces of her old pillow cases.
(c) Pieces of her old aprons.
(d) Pieces of dresses Grandma Dee wore over 50 years ago.
4. Whose hand closes over Grandma Dee's butter dish at dinner?
(d) Ms. Johnson's.
5. What looks like a mule tail to Ms. Johnson when she sees Dee's male companion?
(a) The man's mustache.
(b) The man's ponytail.
(c) The hair hanging from the man's chin.
(d) The man's braid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not true about what happens on the television talk shows that inspire Ms. Johnson's dreams?
2. Which character in "Everyday Use" always looks anyone in the eye because hesitation is not part of her nature?
3. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," who does Ms. Johnson say will regard Dee with a mixture of envy and awe?
4. Which of the following is not in a Polaroid of the Johnson family reunion?
5. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn top to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
2. Explain the difference in what Dee wants to use her mother's quilts and the way Maggie wants to use the quilts.
3. What does Hakim-a-barber's car indicate about his character and Dee's?
4. How strong is Ms. Johnson physically and what might her physical strength indicate about her inner strength?
5. Who is the protagonist of "Everyday Use" and what identifies that character as the protagonist?
6. What level of education does Dee have and how does it differ from the educational levels of her mother and sister?
7. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
8. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
9. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
10. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)