|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound does Maggie make when she sees Dee's companion?
(a) A scream.
(b) A sob.
(c) A hearty laugh.
2. Which of the following characters are mentioned in "Everyday Use" but do not actually appear on stage?
(a) Grandma Dee, Aunt Dicie, and Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) Maggie and John Thomas.
(c) Hakim-a-barber and Wangero.
(d) Great Grandpa Ezra, John Thomas, and Hakim-a-barber.
3. How far back can Ms. Johnson trace her family tree?
(a) To the Civil War.
(b) To her grandmother.
(c) To her great-grandmother.
(d) Beyond the Civil War.
4. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
(a) From her faucet.
(b) From bottled water she buys at the store in town.
(c) From her farm's well.
(d) By breaking ice.
5. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
(a) The back yard.
(b) The living room.
(c) The front yard.
(d) The front porch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many quilts does Dee/Wangero take back to the city with her at the end of the story?
2. How many rooms did the Johnsons' previous house have?
3. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
4. What does Wangero feel on the benches when she runs her hands along them?
5. What is the socioeconomic status of Ms. Johnson in "Everyday Use?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
2. What information is revealed about Grandma Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she never appears onstage?
3. To whom is Dee referring when she says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story?
4. How did Dee react when her mother offered her a quilt before Dee left for college and what has caused her to change her opinion about having a quilt now?
5. What does Hakim-a-barber's car indicate about his character and Dee's?
6. What do the Johnson family heirlooms like the butter churn and patchwork quilts indicate about the Johnson family and about southern Black culture?
7. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
8. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
9. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
10. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)