|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) Make butter in it.
(b) Make it the centerpiece for her alcove table.
(c) Use it as a flower vase.
(d) Hang it on her wall.
2. Who escapes unharmed from the tragedy that befell the old Johnson house?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
(b) John Thomas.
(d) Dee and Ms. Johnson.
3. In what patterns are the two quilts Wangero finds in the trunk sewn?
(a) The Lone Star and Walk Around the Mountain patterns.
(b) The Drunkard's Path and Lone Star patterns.
(c) The Dutch Doll and Drunkard's path patterns.
(d) The Southern Belle and Dutch Doll patterns.
4. Why does Wangero want the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced rather than the substitute gift her mother offers her?
(a) They're handstitched & the others are machine-stitched.
(b) They're older.
(c) They're prettier.
(d) Grandma Dee pieced them.
5. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
(a) John Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Ms. Johnson done to her yard at the beginning of the story?
2. Which Johnson family women quilts the quilt tops that Grandma Dee pieces?
3. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dash to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
4. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
5. At the end of the story, what quilts does Ms. Johnson tell Dee to take back to the city with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
2. Why does Ms. Johnson's clean her yard prior to Dee's visit at the beginning of Alice Walker's "Everyday Use?"
3. Discuss the role of Great Grandpa Ezra in "Everyday Use."
4. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
5. What is the significance of the title of "Everyday Use?"
6. Alice Walker never names the narrator of this story. The reader is told only that she is a member of the Johnson family. What might the author of "Everyday Use" have intended to convey about the character of Ms. Johnson by not naming her?
7. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
8. How does Dee differ from her mother and sister?
9. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
10. Why doesn't Dee think Maggie deserves their mother's two hand-stitched quilts?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)