|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the weather when Dee comes to visit her family?
2. Who is the first male character mentioned in "Everyday Use?"
(a) John Thomas.
(c) Grandpa Jarrell.
(d) Johnny Carson.
3. What does Ms. Johnson do in church when the spirit of God touches her?
(a) She gets happy and shouts.
(b) She prays aloud.
(c) She gives a sermon.
(d) She reads aloud from her Bible.
4. What is the nickname of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn dasher?
(a) Old Henry.
(d) Big Bear.
5. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) Make butter in it.
(b) Hang it on her wall.
(c) Use it as a flower vase.
(d) Make it the centerpiece for her alcove table.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ms. Johnson describe Maggie's fiance?
2. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dash to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
3. What does Wangero tell Maggie to do at the end of the story?
4. What does Dee's companion end up asking the family to call him?
5. How many sons does Ms. Johnson have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
2. Discuss the role of Great Grandpa Ezra in "Everyday Use."
3. Are the Johnsons in "Everyday Use" typical or atypical for rural southern Black families living in the era in which the story is set?
4. Explain the difference in what Dee wants to use her mother's quilts and the way Maggie wants to use the quilts.
5. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
6. Who is the protagonist of "Everyday Use" and what identifies that character as the protagonist?
7. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
8. How did Dee react when her mother offered her a quilt before Dee left for college and what has caused her to change her opinion about having a quilt now?
9. What religion is Ms. Johnson in "Everyday Use" and what does her religion indicate about her character?
10. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)