|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of jobs has Ms. Johnson always done well?
(a) Housekeeping or maid jobs.
(b) Man's farm work like butchering and milking.
(c) Clerical jobs.
(d) Nursing jobs.
2. Who asks Ms. Johnson for the butter churn dasher?
(d) John Thomas.
3. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," with whom is Ms. Johnson waiting in the yard?
(a) Big Dee.
(c) Grandma Dee.
(d) Her daughter, Maggie.
4. With what has Ms. Johnson primarily been concerned all her life?
(a) Sewing and quilting.
(b) Milking cows.
5. When Dee says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story, to whom is she referring?
(a) Herself and her mother.
(b) African Americans.
(c) The entire Johnson family.
(d) The Johnson sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What facial expression does Maggie have after her sister leaves?
2. In real life, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
3. Who is the first male character to appear onstage in "Everyday Use?"
4. Who stands under a gum tree and observes from a safe distance while tragedy strikes the old Johnson house a decade earlier?
5. What kind of windows does the current Johnson home have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
2. Ms. Johnson's dream involves appearing on television with Dee and having Dee thank her for her role in Dee's succee. Is there any evidence in "Everyday Use" that Dee appreciate her mother's role in her success?
3. Why does Ms. Johnson prefer that the hand-stitched quilts go to Maggie instead of Dee?
4. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
5. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
6. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Maggie like?
7. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
8. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
9. What does Maggie's smile at the end of "Everyday Use" indicate?
10. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)