|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maggie react when Dee's companion moves forward to hug her?
(a) She backs away, trembling and perspiring.
(b) She rushes forward to hug him first.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She screams.
2. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
(a) Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(c) Uncle Henry.
(d) Uncle Buddy.
3. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
(a) An orchid.
(b) A sterling silver cross.
(c) A rose.
(d) A ruby brooch.
4. What noises tell Ms. Johnson someone is standing outside the room in which she and Wangero are?
(a) The television set comes on.
(b) Maggies footsteps.
(c) Maggie's breathing.
(d) The radio comes on.
5. To whom does Ms. Johnson promise to give the quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, on what television program are she and Dee brought together?
2. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
3. What does Ms. Johnson offer Wangero instead of the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
4. Which character in "Everyday Use" doesn't read well due to poor eyesight?
5. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the way Maggie walks and carries herself indicate?
2. What kind of life has Ms. Johnson lived?
3. Describe the Johnson family home.
4. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
5. Why does Dee change her name to Wangero in "Everyday Use?"
6. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
7. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
8. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
9. What level of education does Dee have and how does it differ from the educational levels of her mother and sister?
10. Why doesn't Dee think Maggie deserves their mother's two hand-stitched quilts?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)