|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jimmy T do soon after breaking up with Dee?
(a) Enlist in the Army.
(b) Move to Atlanta.
(c) Wreck his car.
(d) Marry another woman.
2. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
(a) A cotton housedress.
(b) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
3. What does Wangero tell Maggie to do at the end of the story?
(a) Try to make something of herself.
(b) Buy more stylish clothing.
(c) Get married.
(d) Give up the hand-stitched quilts.
4. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
(a) Sit in the yard enjoying themselves until bedtime.
(b) Start a new quilt.
(c) Gossip about Wangero.
(d) Eat dessert.
5. What does Ms. Johnson offer Wangero instead of the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
(a) The butter churn dasher and top.
(b) One or two other quilts in her collection.
(c) Her mother's wedding dress.
(d) Grandma Dee's butter dish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why advantage does Ms. Johnson think her substitute gift has over the quilts Wangero wants?
2. Who does Maggie marry?
3. What is Hakim-a-barber's religion?
4. What happens to Ms. Johnson in 1949?
5. How does Dee look in comparison to Maggie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
2. What is the history behind Dee's birth name?
3. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
4. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
5. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
6. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
7. Which character in "Everyday Use" is a foil character and what helps identify that character as a foil character?
8. Discuss the role of Great Grandpa Ezra in "Everyday Use."
9. Who is the protagonist of "Everyday Use" and what identifies that character as the protagonist?
10. Explain the difference in what Dee wants to use her mother's quilts and the way Maggie wants to use the quilts.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)