|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks Ms. Johnson for the butter churn dasher?
(b) John Thomas.
2. How many characters in "Everyday Use" own cars?
3. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) Hang it on her wall.
(b) Use it as a flower vase.
(c) Make butter in it.
(d) Make it the centerpiece for her alcove table.
4. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," how does Ms. Johnson think Maggie will feel during Dee's visit?
5. How many Johnson women are Dee?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters are mentioned in "Everyday Use" but do not actually appear on stage?
2. How much does Dee think Grandma Dee's quilts are worth?
3. How does Dee greet her mother and sister?
4. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
5. Who is the antagonist in "Everyday Use?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Thomas and his role in the story.
2. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
3. Who is the protagonist of "Everyday Use" and what identifies that character as the protagonist?
4. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
5. What kind of life has Ms. Johnson lived?
6. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
7. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
8. Explain Ms. Johnson's feelings about white people.
9. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
10. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)