|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
(a) She shakes hands heartily.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She screams.
(d) She keeps trying to pull her limp, sweating hand back.
2. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
3. Which character in "Everyday Use" has no education?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(b) John Thomas.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
4. On what occasion has Ms. Johnson offered Dee a quilt in the past?
(a) When Dee left for college.
(b) The previous Christmas.
(c) Dee's high school graduation.
(d) Dee's eighteenth birthday.
5. What trait does Ms. Johnson possess in her dreams that the Johnsons don't have in real life?
(c) A quick tongue.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story's first paragraph, to which room of the house does Ms. Johnson compare her yard, saying it's an extension of that room?
2. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
3. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
4. Who is Maggie's father?
5. What do Hakim-a-barber and Wangero not tell Ms. Johnson and what does she not ask them about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Johnson family home.
2. What does Maggie's smile at the end of "Everyday Use" indicate?
3. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
4. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
5. Why does Dee include the house in every picture she takes with her camera if she dislikes the house?
6. Alice Walker never names the narrator of this story. The reader is told only that she is a member of the Johnson family. What might the author of "Everyday Use" have intended to convey about the character of Ms. Johnson by not naming her?
7. What references to racial prejudice are there in "Everyday Use?"
8. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
9. Why does Ms. Johnson prefer that the hand-stitched quilts go to Maggie instead of Dee?
10. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)