|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who fills her bottom lip with checkerberry snuff at the end of "Everyday Use?"
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
2. What one thing does the person taking the Polaroids make sure is always included in each picture?
(c) The Johnson house.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
3. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn top to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her grandfather.
(b) He was her father.
(c) He was her brother.
(d) He was her second husband.
4. In what patterns are the two quilts Wangero finds in the trunk sewn?
(a) The Lone Star and Walk Around the Mountain patterns.
(b) The Southern Belle and Dutch Doll patterns.
(c) The Dutch Doll and Drunkard's path patterns.
(d) The Drunkard's Path and Lone Star patterns.
5. Who makes the sounds in the kitchen?
(c) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
2. Why does Wangero want the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced rather than the substitute gift her mother offers her?
3. What does Ms. Johnson note is still in the butter churn during dinner?
4. How many Johnson women are Dee?
5. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
2. In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," who is the antagonist of the story and what identifies that character as the antagonist?
3. Who is the protagonist of "Everyday Use" and what identifies that character as the protagonist?
4. Why does Ms. Johnson's clean her yard prior to Dee's visit at the beginning of Alice Walker's "Everyday Use?"
5. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
6. What other folk art is mentioned in "Everyday Use" besides quilting?
7. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
8. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
9. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
10. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)