|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn top to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her grandfather.
(b) He was her father.
(c) He was her second husband.
(d) He was her brother.
2. On what occasion has Ms. Johnson offered Dee a quilt in the past?
(a) Dee's eighteenth birthday.
(b) Dee's high school graduation.
(c) When Dee left for college.
(d) The previous Christmas.
3. How does the character who goes to school in Augusta try to share her knowledge with the rest of the family?
(a) She encourages them to enroll in college.
(b) She loans them her textbooks.
(c) She reads to them.
(d) She invites them to her school recitals.
4. When Ms. Johnson snatches Grandma Dee's quilts from Wangero's hands, into whose hands does she place them?
(b) Aunt Dicie's.
(c) John Thomas's.
5. How much does Dee think Grandma Dee's quilts are worth?
(a) She thinks they're worth a few hundred dollars.
(b) She thinks they're worth a few dozen dollars.
(c) She doesn't think they're worth anything.
(d) She thinks they're priceless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson remember from the tragedy that befell her home ten to twelve years earlier?
2. Who makes the sounds in the kitchen?
3. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
4. How is the weather when Dee comes to visit her family?
5. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
2. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
3. Alice Walker never names the narrator of this story. The reader is told only that she is a member of the Johnson family. What might the author of "Everyday Use" have intended to convey about the character of Ms. Johnson by not naming her?
4. What does Hakim-a-barber's car indicate about his character and Dee's?
5. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
6. Which Johnson sister knows how to quilt and what does her ability illustrate about her character?
7. Describe the Johnson family home.
8. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
9. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
10. Why are the hairstyles of Hakim-a-barber and Dee/Wangero described in such detail in the story while Maggie and Ms. Johnson's hairstyles are not described?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)