Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
(a) Black men.
(b) People with college degrees.
(c) White women.
(d) White men.
2. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
(a) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(b) Uncle Henry.
(c) Uncle Buddy.
(d) Grandpa Jarrell.
3. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
(a) Her friends.
(b) Her college professors.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her pastor.
4. To what group of people does Ms. Johnson ask Hakim-a-barber if he belongs?
(a) Her Muslim neighbors who raise cattle.
(b) Sheep farmers down the road.
(c) Muslim extremists in Augusta.
(d) A group of local artisans.
5. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
(a) The front porch.
(b) The back yard.
(c) The front yard.
(d) The living room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of jewelry does Dee wear for her reunion with her mother and sister?
2. What is Dee's relationship to Maggie?
3. What does Ms. Johnson kill with a sledge hammer one winter?
4. Which character in "Everyday Use" has burn scars?
5. Who says Wangero can have the quilts after Ms. Johnson says Wangero can't?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Maggie like?
2. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Dee like?
3. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
4. Which Johnson sister knows how to quilt and what does her ability illustrate about her character?
5. Describe John Thomas and his role in the story.
6. Why does Ms. Johnson agree to call Dee by the African name Wangero after reminding Dee of the family heritage behind her birth name?
7. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
8. Why does Ms. Johnson prefer that the hand-stitched quilts go to Maggie instead of Dee?
9. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
10. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)