|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ms. Johnson offers Dee a quilt in the past, what is Dee's reaction?
(a) She wants to learn to quilt herself.
(b) She loves the idea, takes the quilt and asks for more.
(c) She doesn't want it because it is old-fashioned.
(d) She does't want it because it is too plain.
2. Whose hand closes over Grandma Dee's butter dish at dinner?
(c) Ms. Johnson's.
3. What does Dee's companion do for a living?
(a) The story does not reveal this information.
(b) He is a college professor.
(c) He is a politician.
(d) He is a physician.
4. Who is the first male character mentioned in "Everyday Use?"
(b) Johnny Carson.
(c) Grandpa Jarrell.
(d) John Thomas.
5. How does Hakim-a-barber feel about the group of people to which Ms. Johnson asks if he belongs?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He considers them allies.
(c) He disagrees with their doctrines.
(d) He shares their doctrines, but doesn't farm or raise cattle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Johnson's current home different from their previous home?
2. What kind of soil comprises Ms. Johnson's yard?
3. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
4. In what point of view is "Everyday Use" told?
5. Who is the antagonist in "Everyday Use?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Ms. Johnson's feelings about white people.
2. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
3. What does Maggie wear for Dee's visit and what does her outfit illustrate about her character?
4. How did Dee react when her mother offered her a quilt before Dee left for college and what has caused her to change her opinion about having a quilt now?
5. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
6. What religion is Ms. Johnson in "Everyday Use" and what does her religion indicate about her character?
7. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
8. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Maggie like?
9. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
10. Why does Dee include the house in every picture she takes with her camera if she dislikes the house?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)