|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dee's male companion greet Ms. Johnson and Maggie?
(a) With a handshake.
(b) With a polite nod.
(c) With a kiss on the cheek.
(d) With the Arabic greeting Asalamalakim.
2. What does Maggie wear for Dee's arrival in "Everyday Use"?
(a) Blue jeans and a white blouse.
(b) A mini skirt.
(d) A pink skirt and red blouse.
3. Which of the following characters are mentioned in "Everyday Use" but do not actually appear on stage?
(a) Great Grandpa Ezra, John Thomas, and Hakim-a-barber.
(b) Hakim-a-barber and Wangero.
(c) Grandma Dee, Aunt Dicie, and Grandpa Jarrell.
(d) Maggie and John Thomas.
4. How much does Dee think Grandma Dee's quilts are worth?
(a) She doesn't think they're worth anything.
(b) She thinks they're worth a few dozen dollars.
(c) She thinks they're priceless.
(d) She thinks they're worth a few hundred dollars.
5. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ms. Johnson used to think Dee felt about Maggie?
2. Which Johnson family women quilts the quilt tops that Grandma Dee pieces?
3. What comes over Ms. Johnson at the end of the story when she sees Maggie looking at Wangero with fear?
4. What hairstyle is Dee wearing when she arrives at her family's home?
5. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Maggie like?
2. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
3. What does Hakim-a-barber's car indicate about his character and Dee's?
4. What is the history behind Dee's birth name?
5. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
6. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
7. Explain Ms. Johnson's feelings about white people.
8. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
9. Ms. Johnson's dream involves appearing on television with Dee and having Dee thank her for her role in Dee's succee. Is there any evidence in "Everyday Use" that Dee appreciate her mother's role in her success?
10. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)