|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wangero want the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced rather than the substitute gift her mother offers her?
(a) They're older.
(b) Grandma Dee pieced them.
(c) They're handstitched & the others are machine-stitched.
(d) They're prettier.
2. Who makes the dining benches on which the Johnsons and Hakim-a-barber sit during dinner?
(a) Dee's brother.
(b) Uncle Buddy.
(d) Dee's father.
3. Who does Maggie marry?
(a) The local preacher.
(b) One of her teachers.
(d) John Thomas.
4. Who is Maggie's father?
(c) The story never reveals this fact.
(d) John Thomas.
5. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
(a) From her faucet.
(b) From her farm's well.
(c) From bottled water she buys at the store in town.
(d) By breaking ice.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Wangero compare Maggie's brain when Maggie tells Hakim-a-barber who whittled the churn dash?
2. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
3. In "Everyday Use," whose school closes after second grade?
4. What does Ms. Johnson think that Dee had at age sixteen?
5. What does Ms. Johnson say could be done if the quilts do become rags in five years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
2. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
3. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
4. What does Maggie wear for Dee's visit and what does her outfit illustrate about her character?
5. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
6. What references to racial prejudice are there in "Everyday Use?"
7. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
8. Why does Ms. Johnson agree to call Dee by the African name Wangero after reminding Dee of the family heritage behind her birth name?
9. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Dee like?
10. What is Maggie's relationship with Dee like?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)