|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Ms. Johnson promise to give the quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
(d) Aunt Dicie.
2. In what point of view is "Everyday Use" told?
(a) Second person.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) Third person limited.
3. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
(a) An orchid.
(b) A sterling silver cross.
(c) A rose.
(d) A ruby brooch.
4. What does Ms. Johnson offer Wangero instead of the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
(a) Grandma Dee's butter dish.
(b) The butter churn dasher and top.
(c) Her mother's wedding dress.
(d) One or two other quilts in her collection.
5. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear to bed?
(a) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
(b) Flannel nightgowns.
(c) Men's pajamas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the antagonist in "Everyday Use?"
2. Who puts on a pair of sunglasses at the end of "Everyday Use"?
3. At the end of the story, what quilts does Ms. Johnson tell Dee to take back to the city with her?
4. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
5. What is Dee's relationship to Maggie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dee react when her mother offered her a quilt before Dee left for college and what has caused her to change her opinion about having a quilt now?
2. How do African Americans change from the days of Ms. Johnson's youth in the 1920s to the era of the 1960s in which the story "Everyday People" is set?
3. Which Johnson sister knows how to quilt and what does her ability illustrate about her character?
4. In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," who is the antagonist of the story and what identifies that character as the antagonist?
5. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
6. How does Dee differ from her mother and sister?
7. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
8. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
9. Ms. Johnson's dream involves appearing on television with Dee and having Dee thank her for her role in Dee's succee. Is there any evidence in "Everyday Use" that Dee appreciate her mother's role in her success?
10. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)