|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
(a) Her old baby clothes.
(b) Two quilts pieced by Grandma Dee.
(c) Old family photos.
(d) Embroidered pillow cases.
2. Why do the Johnsons have dining benches instead of dining chairs?
(a) They can't afford chairs.
(b) Dee's father doesn't know how to make chairs.
(c) Ms. Johnson finds chairs uncomfortable to sit on.
(d) They don't like chairs.
3. What is Dee's relationship to Maggie?
(a) They're cousins.
(b) They're sisters.
(c) They're neighbors.
(d) They're friends.
4. How does the Johnson's current home different from their previous home?
(a) It has a tin roof instead of a shingle roof.
(b) It is larger.
(c) It has more land with it.
(d) It is smaller.
5. After whom does Ms. Johnson name Dee?
(a) Aunt Dicie, Ms. Johnson's sister and Dee's aunt.
(b) A good friend.
(c) A cousin.
(d) An old neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn top to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
2. How does the man who emerges from the car with Dee wear his hair?
3. What scraps of Grandma Dee's clothing are in the quilts?
4. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
5. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
2. What does Ms. Johnson think Maggie believes is her "portion" in life?
3. How strong is Ms. Johnson physically and what might her physical strength indicate about her inner strength?
4. Why does Ms. Johnson prefer that the hand-stitched quilts go to Maggie instead of Dee?
5. What does Maggie wear for Dee's visit and what does her outfit illustrate about her character?
6. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
7. Which character in "Everyday Use" is a foil character and what helps identify that character as a foil character?
8. Describe the Johnson family home.
9. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
10. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)