|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the socioeconomic status of Ms. Johnson in "Everyday Use?"
(a) She's rich.
(b) She's middle class.
(c) She's a slave.
(d) She's poor.
2. What does Ms. Johnson believe Maggie thinks her portion from God is?
(a) To suffer ill health.
(b) To do without while Wangero prospers.
(c) To be loveless and alone.
(d) To prosper and live in abundance.
3. When their school closes after the second grade, why don't the local Blacks protest?
(a) They fear violent repercussions.
(b) There is little community support for reopening it.
(c) Their children are needed on the farm instead of in school.
(d) In 1927 they ask fewer questions than they do now.
4. Which of the following characters are mentioned in "Everyday Use" but do not actually appear on stage?
(a) Grandma Dee, Aunt Dicie, and Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) Great Grandpa Ezra, John Thomas, and Hakim-a-barber.
(c) Hakim-a-barber and Wangero.
(d) Maggie and John Thomas.
5. Which member of the Johnson family always criticizes the others?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first male character mentioned in "Everyday Use?"
2. Which Johnson family member possesses the most self confidence?
3. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
4. When Ms. Johnson snatches Grandma Dee's quilts from Wangero's hands, into whose hands does she place them?
5. What color is the dress Dee wears for her reunion with her mother and sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ms. Johnson's clean her yard prior to Dee's visit at the beginning of Alice Walker's "Everyday Use?"
2. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
3. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
4. What kind of life has Ms. Johnson lived?
5. Which Johnson sister knows how to quilt and what does her ability illustrate about her character?
6. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
7. What do the Johnson family heirlooms like the butter churn and patchwork quilts indicate about the Johnson family and about southern Black culture?
8. Why does Dee include the house in every picture she takes with her camera if she dislikes the house?
9. Describe John Thomas and his role in the story.
10. What other folk art is mentioned in "Everyday Use" besides quilting?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)