|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ms. Johnson snatches Grandma Dee's quilts from Wangero's hands, into whose hands does she place them?
(c) John Thomas's.
(d) Aunt Dicie's.
2. What does Dee's companion end up asking the family to call him?
3. Who makes the sounds in the kitchen?
(b) Grandma Dee.
(d) Aunt Dicie.
4. Once Maggie weds, what is Ms. Johnson free to sit in her yard and do?
(a) Raise flowers.
(c) Sing church songs.
(d) Plant corn.
5. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
(a) Uncle Buddy.
(b) Uncle Henry.
(c) Grandpa Jarrell.
(d) Great Grandpa Ezra.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in "Everyday Use" delights in the chitlins and corn bread, greens and sweet potatoes Ms. Johnson serves for dinner during Dee's visit?
2. What trait does Ms. Johnson possess in her dreams that the Johnsons don't have in real life?
3. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
4. What does Wangero tell Maggie to do at the end of the story?
5. Who is the first male character to appear onstage in "Everyday Use?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What level of education does Dee have and how does it differ from the educational levels of her mother and sister?
2. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
3. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
4. What is the significance of Dee's always wanting to read to people in her youth?
5. Alice Walker never names the narrator of this story. The reader is told only that she is a member of the Johnson family. What might the author of "Everyday Use" have intended to convey about the character of Ms. Johnson by not naming her?
6. Discuss the role of Great Grandpa Ezra in "Everyday Use."
7. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
8. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
9. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
10. Which character in "Everyday Use" is a foil character and what helps identify that character as a foil character?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)