|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson ask Maggie to bring her at the end of the story?
(a) A needle and thread to begin another quilt.
(b) A quilt from the trunk.
(c) A dip of snuff.
(d) Another plate of dinner.
2. What is the nickname of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn dasher?
(a) Big Bear.
(d) Old Henry.
3. What unpleasant truth does Ms. Johnson say Maggie realizes about herself?
(a) Good looks, money and intelligence have passed her by.
(b) Hakim-a-barber will never prefer her to Dee.
(c) She is unemployable due to her lack of education.
(d) She will never be able to afford college.
4. What does Ms. Johnson kill with a sledge hammer one winter?
(a) A bull calf.
(b) A hog.
(c) A rat.
(d) A wolf.
5. Which Johnson family women quilts the quilt tops that Grandma Dee pieces?
(a) Cousin Celie and Cousin Jill.
(b) Aunt Cassie and Maggie.
(c) Great Grandma Dee and Aunt Dicie.
(d) Ms. Johnson and her sister, Aunt Dicie or Big Dee.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
2. How many rooms does the Johnsons' current house have?
3. What does Ms. Johnson offer Wangero instead of the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
4. Why does Wangero want the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced rather than the substitute gift her mother offers her?
5. Who does Maggie marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Dee's always wanting to read to people in her youth?
2. What references to racial prejudice are there in "Everyday Use?"
3. Alice Walker never names the narrator of this story. The reader is told only that she is a member of the Johnson family. What might the author of "Everyday Use" have intended to convey about the character of Ms. Johnson by not naming her?
4. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
5. Describe John Thomas and his role in the story.
6. Why does Dee change her name to Wangero in "Everyday Use?"
7. Why does Ms. Johnson's clean her yard prior to Dee's visit at the beginning of Alice Walker's "Everyday Use?"
8. In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," who is the antagonist of the story and what identifies that character as the antagonist?
9. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
10. How strong is Ms. Johnson physically and what might her physical strength indicate about her inner strength?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)