|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
(b) Maggie's birthday.
(c) Maggie's wedding to John Thomas.
2. What does Wangero feel on the benches when she runs her hands along them?
(a) Rump prints.
(b) The smooth surface of the varnished wood.
(c) Chips in the wood.
3. What hairstyle is Dee wearing when she arrives at her family's home?
(a) Two long pigtails roped around her ears.
(c) A short Afro.
(d) She has shaved her head.
4. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
5. What sound does Maggie make when she sees Dee's companion?
(a) A sob.
(b) A hearty laugh.
(c) A scream.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Dee think Grandma Dee's quilts are worth?
2. How many Johnson women are Dee?
3. How does Dee's male companion greet Ms. Johnson and Maggie?
4. What has Ms. Johnson done to her yard at the beginning of the story?
5. Which Johnson family member possesses the most self confidence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Ms. Johnson's feelings about white people.
2. Describe John Thomas and his role in the story.
3. What information is revealed about Grandma Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she never appears onstage?
4. Discuss the role of Great Grandpa Ezra in "Everyday Use."
5. Why are the hairstyles of Hakim-a-barber and Dee/Wangero described in such detail in the story while Maggie and Ms. Johnson's hairstyles are not described?
6. What is the significance of Dee's always wanting to read to people in her youth?
7. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
8. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
9. What is Maggie's relationship with Dee like?
10. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)