|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stands under a gum tree and observes from a safe distance while tragedy strikes the old Johnson house a decade earlier?
(c) John Thomas.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
2. What happens to the Johnson's previous house ten to twelve years before the events in "Everyday Use"?
(a) It burns to the ground.
(b) The bank repossesses it.
(c) Termites and rats infest it.
(d) A tornado devastates it.
3. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
(a) She will abide by Wangero's wishes & use the new name.
(b) It is a name she will never prounounce correctly.
(c) It is an ugly name.
(d) It insults the family heritage of women named Dee.
4. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
(a) White men.
(b) People with college degrees.
(c) Black men.
(d) White women.
5. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's short and dark with glasses and white hair.
(b) She's tall and plump with a gray Afro.
(c) She's thin with a light complexion and glistening hair.
(d) She's tall and dark with lots of jewels and furs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of jewelry does Dee wear for her reunion with her mother and sister?
2. Which character in "Everyday Use" doesn't read well due to poor eyesight?
3. How many sons does Ms. Johnson have?
4. Who makes the dining benches on which the Johnsons and Hakim-a-barber sit during dinner?
5. Whose hand closes over Grandma Dee's butter dish at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the role of Great Grandpa Ezra in "Everyday Use."
2. Describe the Johnson family home.
3. How do African Americans change from the days of Ms. Johnson's youth in the 1920s to the era of the 1960s in which the story "Everyday People" is set?
4. What does Maggie's smile at the end of "Everyday Use" indicate?
5. Explain Ms. Johnson's feelings about white people.
6. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
7. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
8. What is the significance of the title of "Everyday Use?"
9. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
10. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)