|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson say could be done if the quilts do become rags in five years?
(a) Maggie could buy new quilts.
(b) Ms. Johnson could knit Maggie some blankets.
(c) Maggie could make herself some new quilts.
(d) Ms. Johnson could buy new quilts for Maggie.
2. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
(a) Two quilts pieced by Grandma Dee.
(b) Embroidered pillow cases.
(c) Her old baby clothes.
(d) Old family photos.
3. Which character in "Everyday Use" refuses to eat collard greens and considers pork unclean?
(b) Grandma Dee.
4. How did Ms. Johnson used to think Dee felt about Maggie?
(a) That Dee adored Maggie.
(b) That Dee considered Maggie an embarrassment.
(c) That Dee was jealous of Maggie.
(d) That Dee hated Maggie.
5. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
(a) The front porch.
(b) The front yard.
(c) The back yard.
(d) The living room.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what occasion has Ms. Johnson offered Dee a quilt in the past?
2. Which character in "Everyday Use" has no education?
3. What does Ms. Johnson remember from the tragedy that befell her home ten to twelve years earlier?
4. After whom does Ms. Johnson name Dee?
5. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Dee's feelings about white people.
2. In what era is "Everyday Use" set and how does this time period affect the story?
3. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
4. Explain the difference in what Dee wants to use her mother's quilts and the way Maggie wants to use the quilts.
5. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
6. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
7. What was Dee like at sixteen?
8. What does Maggie's smile at the end of "Everyday Use" indicate?
9. What is the history behind Dee's birth name?
10. What references to racial prejudice are there in "Everyday Use?"
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)