|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
(a) From bottled water she buys at the store in town.
(b) From her faucet.
(c) From her farm's well.
(d) By breaking ice.
2. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) Make it the centerpiece for her alcove table.
(b) Make butter in it.
(c) Use it as a flower vase.
(d) Hang it on her wall.
3. Who is the narrator of "Everyday Use?"
(b) Ms. Johnson.
(d) John Thomas.
4. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's thin with a light complexion and glistening hair.
(b) She's short and dark with glasses and white hair.
(c) She's tall and dark with lots of jewels and furs.
(d) She's tall and plump with a gray Afro.
5. Who makes the dining benches on which the Johnsons and Hakim-a-barber sit during dinner?
(a) Dee's brother.
(b) Uncle Buddy.
(c) Dee's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what point of view is "Everyday Use" told?
2. Which of the following is not in a Polaroid of the Johnson family reunion?
3. Why does Dee think the quilts will become rags in five years?
4. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
5. What does Ms. Johnson think that Dee had at age sixteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of "Everyday Use?"
2. What does Ms. Johnson think Maggie believes is her "portion" in life?
3. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
4. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
5. What does Maggie's smile at the end of "Everyday Use" indicate?
6. Which Johnson sister knows how to quilt and what does her ability illustrate about her character?
7. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
8. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
9. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
10. How did Dee react when her mother offered her a quilt before Dee left for college and what has caused her to change her opinion about having a quilt now?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)