|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes the dining benches on which the Johnsons and Hakim-a-barber sit during dinner?
(a) Dee's brother.
(b) Dee's father.
(c) Uncle Buddy.
2. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
(c) John Thomas.
3. Who fills her bottom lip with checkerberry snuff at the end of "Everyday Use?"
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
4. What noises tell Ms. Johnson someone is standing outside the room in which she and Wangero are?
(a) Maggie's breathing.
(b) The radio comes on.
(c) The television set comes on.
(d) Maggies footsteps.
5. How many rooms did the Johnsons' previous house have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
2. What does Jimmy T do soon after breaking up with Dee?
3. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
4. What is Hakim-a-barber's religion?
5. Whose hand closes over Grandma Dee's butter dish at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ms. Johnson's dream involves appearing on television with Dee and having Dee thank her for her role in Dee's succee. Is there any evidence in "Everyday Use" that Dee appreciate her mother's role in her success?
2. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
3. What happened to the Johnsons' previous home and how has this tragedy affected the family?
4. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
5. How does Dee differ from her mother and sister?
6. Explain Ms. Johnson's feelings about white people.
7. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
8. What was Dee like at sixteen?
9. Why does Ms. Johnson's clean her yard prior to Dee's visit at the beginning of Alice Walker's "Everyday Use?"
10. What other folk art is mentioned in "Everyday Use" besides quilting?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)