|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stands under a gum tree and observes from a safe distance while tragedy strikes the old Johnson house a decade earlier?
(a) John Thomas.
(b) Ms. Johnson.
2. What does Ms. Johnson notice in the wood of the dasher?
(a) Termite holes.
(c) Sink marks from thumbs & fingers touching the wood.
(d) Scuff marks.
3. What noises tell Ms. Johnson someone is standing outside the room in which she and Wangero are?
(a) The television set comes on.
(b) Maggies footsteps.
(c) Maggie's breathing.
(d) The radio comes on.
4. How does Ms. Johnson describe the man who emerges from the car with Dee?
(a) Short and stocky with hair all over his head and chin.
(b) Short and thin with big glasses.
(c) Tall and fat.
(d) Tall and thin with a big mustache.
5. What does Dee's companion end up asking the family to call him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fills her bottom lip with checkerberry snuff at the end of "Everyday Use?"
2. Who does Maggie marry?
3. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
4. Why does Dee change her name?
5. How many Johnson women are Dee?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do African Americans change from the days of Ms. Johnson's youth in the 1920s to the era of the 1960s in which the story "Everyday People" is set?
2. What do the Johnson family heirlooms like the butter churn and patchwork quilts indicate about the Johnson family and about southern Black culture?
3. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
4. What other folk art is mentioned in "Everyday Use" besides quilting?
5. What does the way Maggie walks and carries herself indicate?
6. Which character in "Everyday Use" is a foil character and what helps identify that character as a foil character?
7. What is the significance of the title of "Everyday Use?"
8. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
9. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
10. Why does Dee's sister Maggie feel insecure when Hakim-a-barber tries to shake her hand?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)