|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not true about what happens on the television talk shows that inspire Ms. Johnson's dreams?
(a) The children thank the parents for helping them succeed.
(b) The children and parents embrace and smile and cry.
(c) Children who have made it are surprised by their parents.
(d) Unsuccessful children greet their unhappy parents.
2. Why does Dee think the quilts will become rags in five years?
(a) Maggie's children will tear them.
(b) They're old and fragile.
(c) Maggie will use them and wear them out.
(d) Exposing them to air after storage in the trunk will ruin them.
3. What does Ms. Johnson notice in the wood of the dasher?
(a) Termite holes.
(c) Sink marks from thumbs & fingers touching the wood.
(d) Scuff marks.
4. What does Ms. Johnson think Dee's companion does for a living because of his name?
(a) She thinks he's a lawyer.
(b) She thinks he's a Musllim preacher.
(c) She thinks he's a barber.
(d) She thinks he's a college professor.
5. What happens to the Johnson's previous house ten to twelve years before the events in "Everyday Use"?
(a) A tornado devastates it.
(b) Termites and rats infest it.
(c) The bank repossesses it.
(d) It burns to the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker take place?
2. In "Everyday Use," whose school closes after second grade?
3. What is Ms. Johnson's religion?
4. How did Ms. Johnson used to think Dee felt about Maggie?
5. Which character in "Everyday Use" has no education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What references to racial prejudice are there in "Everyday Use?"
2. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
3. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Maggie like?
4. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
5. Is there any significance to the fact that neither Ms. Johnson's marital state nor Dee's are revealed in "Everyday Use?"
6. Why are the hairstyles of Hakim-a-barber and Dee/Wangero described in such detail in the story while Maggie and Ms. Johnson's hairstyles are not described?
7. When Ms. Johnson gives Grandma Dee's hand-stitched quilts to Maggie, how does each Johnson sister in "Everyday Use" react?
8. What does Ms. Johnson think Maggie believes is her "portion" in life?
9. What is revealed about Aunt Dicie/Big Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she doesn't appear onstage?
10. How do African Americans change from the days of Ms. Johnson's youth in the 1920s to the era of the 1960s in which the story "Everyday People" is set?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)