|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Dee's dress when she exits the car?
(a) It touches her calves.
(b) It touches the ground.
(c) It reaches her knees.
(d) It is a mini skirt.
2. Which of the following characters are mentioned in "Everyday Use" but do not actually appear on stage?
(a) Grandma Dee, Aunt Dicie, and Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) Great Grandpa Ezra, John Thomas, and Hakim-a-barber.
(c) Maggie and John Thomas.
(d) Hakim-a-barber and Wangero.
3. Which character in "Everyday Use" has burn scars?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
4. What kind of jewelry does Dee wear for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(a) A ruby pendant.
(b) A silver wristwatch.
(c) Pear earrings.
(d) Gold earrings and bracelets.
5. To what does Wangero compare Maggie's brain when Maggie tells Hakim-a-barber who whittled the churn dash?
(a) An elephant's brain.
(b) A piece of straw.
(c) A canteloupe.
(d) A pea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Ms. Johnson hot in zero weather?
2. Who tells Ms. Johnson she doesn't understand her heritage?
3. What looks like a mule tail to Ms. Johnson when she sees Dee's male companion?
4. What facial expression does Maggie have after her sister leaves?
5. Who escapes unharmed from the tragedy that befell the old Johnson house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ms. Johnson agree to call Dee by the African name Wangero after reminding Dee of the family heritage behind her birth name?
2. What is the significance of the title of "Everyday Use?"
3. What is the history behind Dee's birth name?
4. What does Ms. Johnson think Maggie believes is her "portion" in life?
5. Explain how Ms. Johnson looks in real life and how her actual appearance differs from how she appears in her dreams.
6. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
7. What do the Johnson family heirlooms like the butter churn and patchwork quilts indicate about the Johnson family and about southern Black culture?
8. Why doesn't Dee think Maggie deserves their mother's two hand-stitched quilts?
9. Why does Dee include the house in every picture she takes with her camera if she dislikes the house?
10. Discuss the role of Great Grandpa Ezra in "Everyday Use."
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)