|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Dee change her name?
(a) Wangero Leewanika Kemanjo.
(b) Raelene Jordan.
(c) Ariella Candace Jones.
(d) Kenisha Jackson.
2. Who in the Johnson family had the name Dee before Dee and the woman for whom Dee was named?
(a) A first cousin.
(b) Ms. Johnson's mother-in-law.
(c) A great aunt.
(d) Grandma Dee and her mother, Great Grandma Dee.
3. Which character in "Everyday Use" always walks with her eyes on the ground and her chin on her chest?
(b) Ms. Johnson.
(c) Uncle Buddy.
4. How many quilts does Dee/Wangero take back to the city with her at the end of the story?
5. What do Hakim-a-barber and Wangero not tell Ms. Johnson and what does she not ask them about?
(a) Whether Dee/Wangero is a Muslim now like Hakim-a-barber.
(b) Whether Dee/Wangero is pregnant.
(c) Whether they are married.
(d) Whether they have bought a house together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson remember from the tragedy that befell her home ten to twelve years earlier?
2. Who stands under a gum tree and observes from a safe distance while tragedy strikes the old Johnson house a decade earlier?
3. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
4. Which character in "Everyday Use" has burn scars?
5. Who asks Ms. Johnson for the family's butter churn top?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dee's relationship with Jimmy T and what it indicates about her.
2. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
3. What does Maggie's smile at the end of "Everyday Use" indicate?
4. What level of education does Dee have and how does it differ from the educational levels of her mother and sister?
5. Which character in "Everyday Use" is a foil character and what helps identify that character as a foil character?
6. Who is the protagonist of "Everyday Use" and what identifies that character as the protagonist?
7. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Maggie like?
8. What is the history behind Dee's birth name?
9. What does Hakim-a-barber's car indicate about his character and Dee's?
10. What is Aunt Dicie/Big Dee's role in "Everyday Use?"
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)