|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maggie react when Dee's companion moves forward to hug her?
(a) She backs away, trembling and perspiring.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She screams.
(d) She rushes forward to hug him first.
2. Who is Maggie's father?
(a) John Thomas.
(b) The story never reveals this fact.
3. Who tells Ms. Johnson she doesn't understand her heritage?
(c) Aunt Dicie.
4. How does Ms. Johnson describe Maggie's fiance?
(a) A handsome man with a mustache.
(b) A man with mossy teeth in an earnest face.
(c) A short, fat man with dimples.
(d) A tall man with thick glasses.
5. In "Everyday Use," whose school closes after second grade?
(a) Ms. Johnson's.
(d) John Thomas's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dee's father?
2. What does Ms. Johnson note is still in the butter churn during dinner?
3. Who is the first male character to appear onstage in "Everyday Use?"
4. What is the first thing out of the car upon Dee's arrival that identifies Dee to Ms. Johnson?
5. In what patterns are the two quilts Wangero finds in the trunk sewn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dee react when her mother offered her a quilt before Dee left for college and what has caused her to change her opinion about having a quilt now?
2. What happens when Dee tries to share her educational knowledge with her mother and sister?
3. How do African Americans change from the days of Ms. Johnson's youth in the 1920s to the era of the 1960s in which the story "Everyday People" is set?
4. What does the way Dee dresses for her visit with her family indicate about her character?
5. How strong is Ms. Johnson physically and what might her physical strength indicate about her inner strength?
6. What is Ms. Johnson's relationship with her daughter Maggie like?
7. What does Hakim-a-barber's car indicate about his character and Dee's?
8. What is the significance of the sunglasses Dee wears at the end of the story and the fact that they hide most of her face?
9. Why doesn't Ms. Johnson have more formal education?
10. What do Dee's light skin and her white heel symbolize?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)