|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scrap of Great Grandpa Ezra's clothing is in the quilts?
(a) A piece of his christening gown.
(b) A piece of his wedding pants.
(c) A piece of his old red flannel shirt.
(d) A piece of his Civil War uniform.
2. What is the first thing out of the car upon Dee's arrival that identifies Dee to Ms. Johnson?
(a) Her arm.
(b) Her head.
(c) Her purse.
(d) Her leg.
3. What hairstyle is Dee wearing when she arrives at her family's home?
(a) She has shaved her head.
(b) Two long pigtails roped around her ears.
(d) A short Afro.
4. On what occasion has Ms. Johnson offered Dee a quilt in the past?
(a) When Dee left for college.
(b) The previous Christmas.
(c) Dee's high school graduation.
(d) Dee's eighteenth birthday.
5. Which character in "Everyday Use" goes to school in Augusta on money Ms. Johnson and her church raise?
(d) John Thomas.
6. Who hates the current Johnson house as well as the old Johnson house?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(b) Grandma Dee.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
7. What animal does Ms. Johnson describe as "soothing and slow?"
8. What color is the dress Dee wears for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(a) Orange and yellow.
(d) Black and white plaid.
9. What does Ms. Johnson notice in the wood of the dasher?
(a) Scuff marks.
(b) Sink marks from thumbs & fingers touching the wood.
(d) Termite holes.
10. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
(a) The living room.
(b) The front yard.
(c) The front porch.
(d) The back yard.
11. Who in the Johnson family had the name Dee before Dee and the woman for whom Dee was named?
(a) Grandma Dee and her mother, Great Grandma Dee.
(b) A first cousin.
(c) Ms. Johnson's mother-in-law.
(d) A great aunt.
12. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
(a) It is a name she will never prounounce correctly.
(b) It is an ugly name.
(c) It insults the family heritage of women named Dee.
(d) She will abide by Wangero's wishes & use the new name.
13. Which Johnson women know how to quilt?
(a) Ms. Johnson, Wangero, and Grandma Dee.
(b) Maggie, Ms. Johnson, Wangero and Aunt Dicie.
(c) Maggie, Grandma Dee and Wangero.
(d) Everyone but Wangero.
14. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn top to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her second husband.
(b) He was her father.
(c) He was her brother.
(d) He was her grandfather.
15. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," who does Ms. Johnson say will regard Dee with a mixture of envy and awe?
(b) Grandpa Ezra.
(c) Grandma Dee.
(d) John Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does the Johnsons' current house have?
2. Who takes Polaroids of the Johnson family reunion?
3. How far back can Ms. Johnson trace her family tree?
4. What does Ms. Johnson do in church when the spirit of God touches her?
5. Who makes the sounds in the kitchen?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)