|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person who wants the butter churn top slide over it as if trying to see how it will look in her own home?
(a) An arrangement of wildflowers.
(b) A dish towel.
(c) A dinner plate.
(d) A tablecloth.
2. Which character in "Everyday Use" always walks with her eyes on the ground and her chin on her chest?
(a) Uncle Buddy.
(b) Ms. Johnson.
3. How long is Dee's dress when she exits the car?
(a) It reaches her knees.
(b) It touches her calves.
(c) It is a mini skirt.
(d) It touches the ground.
4. To what does Wangero compare Maggie's brain when Maggie tells Hakim-a-barber who whittled the churn dash?
(a) A canteloupe.
(b) A piece of straw.
(c) An elephant's brain.
(d) A pea.
5. Why advantage does Ms. Johnson think her substitute gift has over the quilts Wangero wants?
(a) Her other quilts are prettier.
(b) Her other quilts are newer.
(c) Machine-stitched quilts will last longer than hand-stitched.
(d) Her other quilts are made of warmer fabrics.
6. On what occasion has Ms. Johnson offered Dee a quilt in the past?
(a) Dee's eighteenth birthday.
(b) The previous Christmas.
(c) When Dee left for college.
(d) Dee's high school graduation.
7. What does Wangero plan to do with the quilts?
(a) Use them on her beds.
(b) Donate them to a museum.
(c) Use them as curtains.
(d) Hang them as art on her walls.
8. What one thing does the person taking the Polaroids make sure is always included in each picture?
(b) The Johnson house.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
9. What does Dee want to match a green suit she makes from an old suit someone gives her mother?
(a) Black pumps.
(b) A hair barrette.
(c) A green blouse.
(d) A pair of earrings.
10. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," how does Ms. Johnson think Maggie will feel during Dee's visit?
11. In real life, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's skinny and short.
(b) She's large and big-boned with rough, man-working hands.
(c) She's white-haired and petite.
(d) She's freckled and has blonde hair.
12. How does the Johnson's current home different from their previous home?
(a) It is larger.
(b) It is smaller.
(c) It has a tin roof instead of a shingle roof.
(d) It has more land with it.
13. What is the nickname of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn dasher?
(a) Old Henry.
(d) Big Bear.
14. Who hates the current Johnson house as well as the old Johnson house?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
(c) Grandma Dee.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
15. How much does Dee think Grandma Dee's quilts are worth?
(a) She thinks they're worth a few hundred dollars.
(b) She thinks they're priceless.
(c) She thinks they're worth a few dozen dollars.
(d) She doesn't think they're worth anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dee look in comparison to Maggie?
2. What does Ms. Johnson do in church when the spirit of God touches her?
3. How many rooms did the Johnsons' previous house have?
4. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
5. In the story's first paragraph, to which room of the house does Ms. Johnson compare her yard, saying it's an extension of that room?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)