|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says Wangero can have the quilts after Ms. Johnson says Wangero can't?
(a) Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) John Thomas.
2. Who tells Ms. Johnson she doesn't understand her heritage?
(d) Aunt Dicie.
3. How does Dee respond when her mother asks her what happened to Dee?
(a) She says Hakim-a-barber hates the name Dee.
(b) She says Dee's dead.
(c) She says Dee is wanted by the police.
(d) She says Dee is wanted by the IRS.
4. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's short and dark with glasses and white hair.
(b) She's tall and dark with lots of jewels and furs.
(c) She's tall and plump with a gray Afro.
(d) She's thin with a light complexion and glistening hair.
5. What is Ms. Johnson's marital state?
(c) The story never reveals this fact.
6. Whose name is twice as long and three times as hard as Wangero's in Ms. Johnson's opinion?
(a) Dee's male companion.
(b) Dee's college roommate.
(c) Dee's college professor.
(d) Dee's pastor.
7. How much does Dee think Grandma Dee's quilts are worth?
(a) She thinks they're priceless.
(b) She thinks they're worth a few hundred dollars.
(c) She doesn't think they're worth anything.
(d) She thinks they're worth a few dozen dollars.
8. What does Dee want to match a green suit she makes from an old suit someone gives her mother?
(a) A pair of earrings.
(b) Black pumps.
(c) A green blouse.
(d) A hair barrette.
9. Whose hand closes over Grandma Dee's butter dish at dinner?
(a) Ms. Johnson's.
10. How is the weather when Dee comes to visit her family?
11. How does the Johnson's current home different from their previous home?
(a) It has a tin roof instead of a shingle roof.
(b) It is smaller.
(c) It has more land with it.
(d) It is larger.
12. What does the person who wants the butter churn dash tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) She will churn butter in it.
(b) She will donate it to a museum.
(c) She will use it as a flower vase.
(d) Something artistic that she hasn't yet determined.
13. What does Wangero feel on the benches when she runs her hands along them?
(b) Rump prints.
(c) The smooth surface of the varnished wood.
(d) Chips in the wood.
14. What facial expression does Maggie have after her sister leaves?
(a) A smile.
(b) A frown.
(c) One of ire.
15. Who hangs in the kitchen doing dishes after the Johnsons' reunion dinner?
(b) John Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one thing does the person taking the Polaroids make sure is always included in each picture?
2. What does Ms. Johnson think Dee's companion does for a living because of his name?
3. Why does Dee change her name?
4. What noises tell Ms. Johnson someone is standing outside the room in which she and Wangero are?
5. Who is the first male character to appear onstage in "Everyday Use?"
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)