|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Ms. Johnson hot in zero weather?
(a) A warm fire in her fireplace.
(b) Her fat.
(c) Woolen longjohns.
(d) Two warm quilts.
2. Who tells Ms. Johnson she doesn't understand her heritage?
(c) Aunt Dicie.
3. When Ms. Johnson snatches Grandma Dee's quilts from Wangero's hands, into whose hands does she place them?
(b) John Thomas's.
(c) Aunt Dicie's.
4. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
5. What does Wangero feel on the benches when she runs her hands along them?
(b) Chips in the wood.
(c) The smooth surface of the varnished wood.
(d) Rump prints.
6. In "Everyday Use," whose school closes after second grade?
(a) John Thomas's.
(d) Ms. Johnson's.
7. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
(a) Uncle Henry.
(b) Uncle Buddy.
(c) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(d) Grandpa Jarrell.
8. How does the man who emerges from the car with Dee wear his hair?
(c) He shaves his head.
(d) In cornrows.
9. How does Dee look in comparison to Maggie?
(a) She's lighter in complexion with nicer hair and a fuller figure.
(b) She's more freckled and wears thicker glasses.
(c) She's taller and fatter.
(d) She's shorter and has more warts.
10. What color is the dress Dee wears for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(b) Orange and yellow.
(d) Black and white plaid.
11. How does the character who goes to school in Augusta try to share her knowledge with the rest of the family?
(a) She loans them her textbooks.
(b) She encourages them to enroll in college.
(c) She invites them to her school recitals.
(d) She reads to them.
12. What does Ms. Johnson ask Maggie to bring her at the end of the story?
(a) A dip of snuff.
(b) A needle and thread to begin another quilt.
(c) A quilt from the trunk.
(d) Another plate of dinner.
13. Which member of the Johnson family always criticizes the others?
(c) Ms. Johnson.
(d) Grandma Dee.
14. Who wraps Ms. Johnson's dasher right there at the dinner table?
(b) Ms. Johnson.
15. What does Maggie wear for Dee's arrival in "Everyday Use"?
(b) A pink skirt and red blouse.
(c) A mini skirt.
(d) Blue jeans and a white blouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
2. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
3. Why advantage does Ms. Johnson think her substitute gift has over the quilts Wangero wants?
4. In real life, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
5. Why do the Johnsons have dining benches instead of dining chairs?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)