|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson call Dee's companion in her thoughts?
(a) The Muslim.
(d) The barber.
2. How many Johnson women are Dee?
3. What noises tell Ms. Johnson someone is standing outside the room in which she and Wangero are?
(a) Maggie's breathing.
(b) The radio comes on.
(c) The television set comes on.
(d) Maggies footsteps.
4. After dinner, who goes into Ms. Johnson's room and riffles through the trunk at the foot of Ms. Johnson's bed?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
5. Which of the following characters are mentioned in "Everyday Use" but do not actually appear on stage?
(a) Hakim-a-barber and Wangero.
(b) Maggie and John Thomas.
(c) Great Grandpa Ezra, John Thomas, and Hakim-a-barber.
(d) Grandma Dee, Aunt Dicie, and Grandpa Jarrell.
6. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
(a) She screams.
(b) She shakes hands heartily.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She keeps trying to pull her limp, sweating hand back.
7. Where does "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker take place?
(a) Rural Ohio.
(b) New York City.
(d) Rural Georgia, near Augusta.
8. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
(a) Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(c) Uncle Henry.
(d) Uncle Buddy.
9. What animal does Ms. Johnson describe as "soothing and slow?"
10. When Ms. Johnson snatches Grandma Dee's quilts from Wangero's hands, into whose hands does she place them?
(b) John Thomas's.
(c) Aunt Dicie's.
11. Who tells Ms. Johnson she doesn't understand her heritage?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
12. What does Ms. Johnson offer Wangero instead of the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
(a) The butter churn dasher and top.
(b) Her mother's wedding dress.
(c) Grandma Dee's butter dish.
(d) One or two other quilts in her collection.
13. Who in the Johnson family had the name Dee before Dee and the woman for whom Dee was named?
(a) A first cousin.
(b) Grandma Dee and her mother, Great Grandma Dee.
(c) A great aunt.
(d) Ms. Johnson's mother-in-law.
14. To what does Dee change her name?
(a) Ariella Candace Jones.
(b) Raelene Jordan.
(c) Wangero Leewanika Kemanjo.
(d) Kenisha Jackson.
15. Who hates the current Johnson house as well as the old Johnson house?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
(d) Grandma Dee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dee's father?
2. Who keeps trying to shake Maggie's hand at the reunion?
3. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
4. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
5. Which member of the Johnson family always criticizes the others?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)