|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the character who goes to school in Augusta try to share her knowledge with the rest of the family?
(a) She loans them her textbooks.
(b) She invites them to her school recitals.
(c) She reads to them.
(d) She encourages them to enroll in college.
2. What is the nickname of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn dasher?
(b) Big Bear.
(d) Old Henry.
3. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
(a) Eat dessert.
(b) Start a new quilt.
(c) Sit in the yard enjoying themselves until bedtime.
(d) Gossip about Wangero.
4. What does Ms. Johnson think that Dee had at age sixteen?
(a) A style of her own.
(b) Artistic talent.
(c) A great speaking voice.
(d) A great singing voice.
5. How does Ms. Johnson describe the man who emerges from the car with Dee?
(a) Tall and thin with a big mustache.
(b) Short and stocky with hair all over his head and chin.
(c) Tall and fat.
(d) Short and thin with big glasses.
6. Which character in "Everyday Use" has burn scars?
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
7. In what patterns are the two quilts Wangero finds in the trunk sewn?
(a) The Southern Belle and Dutch Doll patterns.
(b) The Dutch Doll and Drunkard's path patterns.
(c) The Drunkard's Path and Lone Star patterns.
(d) The Lone Star and Walk Around the Mountain patterns.
8. What does Wangero plan to do with the quilts?
(a) Use them as curtains.
(b) Use them on her beds.
(c) Donate them to a museum.
(d) Hang them as art on her walls.
9. What facial expression does Maggie have after her sister leaves?
(a) A frown.
(c) One of ire.
(d) A smile.
10. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
(a) The back yard.
(b) The front porch.
(c) The front yard.
(d) The living room.
11. Which of the following statements is not true about what happens on the television talk shows that inspire Ms. Johnson's dreams?
(a) The children thank the parents for helping them succeed.
(b) Unsuccessful children greet their unhappy parents.
(c) The children and parents embrace and smile and cry.
(d) Children who have made it are surprised by their parents.
12. What does Jimmy T do soon after breaking up with Dee?
(a) Move to Atlanta.
(b) Marry another woman.
(c) Enlist in the Army.
(d) Wreck his car.
13. What does Wangero tell Maggie to do at the end of the story?
(a) Try to make something of herself.
(b) Buy more stylish clothing.
(c) Give up the hand-stitched quilts.
(d) Get married.
14. Who puts on a pair of sunglasses at the end of "Everyday Use"?
(b) Ms. Johnson.
15. Who fills her bottom lip with checkerberry snuff at the end of "Everyday Use?"
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
2. Who learns to quilt from Grandma Dee and Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
3. How does Dee respond when her mother asks her what happened to Dee?
4. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
5. Which character in "Everyday Use" always looks anyone in the eye because hesitation is not part of her nature?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)