|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After whom does Ms. Johnson name Dee?
(a) Aunt Dicie, Ms. Johnson's sister and Dee's aunt.
(b) A cousin.
(c) An old neighbor.
(d) A good friend.
2. Where does "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker take place?
(a) New York City.
(b) Rural Ohio.
(d) Rural Georgia, near Augusta.
3. At the end of the story, what quilts does Ms. Johnson tell Dee to take back to the city with her?
(a) The ones on Ms. Johnson's bed.
(b) The hand-stitched ones Grandma Dee pieced.
(c) Two on Maggie's bed that need washing.
(d) One or two of the machine-stitched ones.
4. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
(a) It is an ugly name.
(b) She will abide by Wangero's wishes & use the new name.
(c) It insults the family heritage of women named Dee.
(d) It is a name she will never prounounce correctly.
5. What does Ms. Johnson do in church when the spirit of God touches her?
(a) She gives a sermon.
(b) She reads aloud from her Bible.
(c) She gets happy and shouts.
(d) She prays aloud.
6. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
(a) White men.
(b) Black men.
(c) People with college degrees.
(d) White women.
7. What looks like a mule tail to Ms. Johnson when she sees Dee's male companion?
(a) The man's mustache.
(b) The hair hanging from the man's chin.
(c) The man's braid.
(d) The man's ponytail.
8. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
(a) Eat dessert.
(b) Sit in the yard enjoying themselves until bedtime.
(c) Start a new quilt.
(d) Gossip about Wangero.
9. What kind of jobs has Ms. Johnson always done well?
(a) Nursing jobs.
(b) Man's farm work like butchering and milking.
(c) Housekeeping or maid jobs.
(d) Clerical jobs.
10. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
(c) A cotton housedress.
(d) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
11. Who says Wangero can have the quilts after Ms. Johnson says Wangero can't?
(a) John Thomas.
(d) Grandpa Jarrell.
12. What drives Jimmy T, a former suitor, away from Dee?
(a) She isn't rich enough for him.
(b) She cheats on him.
(c) She criticizes him too much.
(d) She isn't smart enough for him.
13. Who hangs in the kitchen doing dishes after the Johnsons' reunion dinner?
(c) John Thomas.
14. Whose name is twice as long and three times as hard as Wangero's in Ms. Johnson's opinion?
(a) Dee's college roommate.
(b) Dee's college professor.
(c) Dee's pastor.
(d) Dee's male companion.
15. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
(a) Her old baby clothes.
(b) Two quilts pieced by Grandma Dee.
(c) Embroidered pillow cases.
(d) Old family photos.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many quilts does Dee/Wangero take back to the city with her at the end of the story?
2. Which Johnson family women quilts the quilt tops that Grandma Dee pieces?
3. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
4. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
5. Which Johnson women know how to quilt?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)