|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes the dining benches on which the Johnsons and Hakim-a-barber sit during dinner?
(a) Dee's brother.
(c) Dee's father.
(d) Uncle Buddy.
2. How many rooms did the Johnsons' previous house have?
3. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, on what television program are she and Dee brought together?
(a) David Letterman.
(c) Jerry Springer.
(d) Johnny Carson.
4. What does Ms. Johnson notice in the wood of the dasher?
(a) Sink marks from thumbs & fingers touching the wood.
(b) Scuff marks.
(c) Termite holes.
5. How many quilts does Dee/Wangero take back to the city with her at the end of the story?
6. What does Ms. Johnson remember from the tragedy that befell her home ten to twelve years earlier?
(a) Dee's terror.
(b) Holding Maggie with her smoking hair and peeling dress.
(c) How the neighbors helped with the tragedy.
(d) The firemen working to put out the flames.
7. Why does Wangero want the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced rather than the substitute gift her mother offers her?
(a) They're older.
(b) They're prettier.
(c) They're handstitched & the others are machine-stitched.
(d) Grandma Dee pieced them.
8. Why advantage does Ms. Johnson think her substitute gift has over the quilts Wangero wants?
(a) Her other quilts are newer.
(b) Her other quilts are made of warmer fabrics.
(c) Her other quilts are prettier.
(d) Machine-stitched quilts will last longer than hand-stitched.
9. Which Johnson women know how to quilt?
(a) Maggie, Ms. Johnson, Wangero and Aunt Dicie.
(b) Maggie, Grandma Dee and Wangero.
(c) Everyone but Wangero.
(d) Ms. Johnson, Wangero, and Grandma Dee.
10. How does Ms. Johnson describe Maggie's fiance?
(a) A man with mossy teeth in an earnest face.
(b) A tall man with thick glasses.
(c) A short, fat man with dimples.
(d) A handsome man with a mustache.
11. What comes over Ms. Johnson at the end of the story when she sees Maggie looking at Wangero with fear?
(a) A spiritual energy like one she sometimes feels in church.
(b) A great sorrow.
(c) A great joy.
(d) A great anger.
12. What does Ms. Johnson note is still in the butter churn during dinner?
(a) A mouse.
(b) Grandma Dee's apron.
(d) Milk that has turned to clabber.
13. How many children does Ms. Johnson have?
14. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dash to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her father.
(b) He was her first husband.
(c) He was her uncle.
(d) He was her grandfather.
15. Which character in "Everyday Use" doesn't read well due to poor eyesight?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
(b) Ms. Johnson.
(d) Grandma Dee.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Dee change her name?
2. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
3. Whose hand closes over Grandma Dee's butter dish at dinner?
4. What does Ms. Johnson ask Maggie to bring her at the end of the story?
5. Who is the protagonist in "Everyday Use?"
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)