|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dee's relationship to Maggie?
(a) They're neighbors.
(b) They're friends.
(c) They're cousins.
(d) They're sisters.
2. How does Ms. Johnson describe Maggie's fiance?
(a) A handsome man with a mustache.
(b) A tall man with thick glasses.
(c) A man with mossy teeth in an earnest face.
(d) A short, fat man with dimples.
3. What unpleasant truth does Ms. Johnson say Maggie realizes about herself?
(a) Hakim-a-barber will never prefer her to Dee.
(b) She is unemployable due to her lack of education.
(c) Good looks, money and intelligence have passed her by.
(d) She will never be able to afford college.
4. Which Johnson family member possesses the most self confidence?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(b) Grandpa Jarrell.
5. What does Ms. Johnson ask Maggie to bring her at the end of the story?
(a) A dip of snuff.
(b) A quilt from the trunk.
(c) Another plate of dinner.
(d) A needle and thread to begin another quilt.
6. Who in the Johnson family had the name Dee before Dee and the woman for whom Dee was named?
(a) A first cousin.
(b) A great aunt.
(c) Grandma Dee and her mother, Great Grandma Dee.
(d) Ms. Johnson's mother-in-law.
7. To what does Dee change her name?
(a) Wangero Leewanika Kemanjo.
(b) Raelene Jordan.
(c) Kenisha Jackson.
(d) Ariella Candace Jones.
8. How does Dee's male companion greet Ms. Johnson and Maggie?
(a) With a kiss on the cheek.
(b) With the Arabic greeting Asalamalakim.
(c) With a handshake.
(d) With a polite nod.
9. What does Ms. Johnson believe Maggie thinks her portion from God is?
(a) To do without while Wangero prospers.
(b) To prosper and live in abundance.
(c) To be loveless and alone.
(d) To suffer ill health.
10. What does Ms. Johnson kill with a sledge hammer one winter?
(a) A bull calf.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A hog.
(d) A rat.
11. What does Ms. Johnson think Dee's companion does for a living because of his name?
(a) She thinks he's a barber.
(b) She thinks he's a Musllim preacher.
(c) She thinks he's a college professor.
(d) She thinks he's a lawyer.
12. Which Johnson women know how to quilt?
(a) Maggie, Ms. Johnson, Wangero and Aunt Dicie.
(b) Everyone but Wangero.
(c) Ms. Johnson, Wangero, and Grandma Dee.
(d) Maggie, Grandma Dee and Wangero.
13. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
(a) Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) Uncle Buddy.
(c) Uncle Henry.
(d) Great Grandpa Ezra.
14. In what patterns are the two quilts Wangero finds in the trunk sewn?
(a) The Drunkard's Path and Lone Star patterns.
(b) The Dutch Doll and Drunkard's path patterns.
(c) The Southern Belle and Dutch Doll patterns.
(d) The Lone Star and Walk Around the Mountain patterns.
15. Which character in "Everyday Use" delights in the chitlins and corn bread, greens and sweet potatoes Ms. Johnson serves for dinner during Dee's visit?
(a) John Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wangero plan to do with the quilts?
2. What does Dee's companion end up asking the family to call him?
3. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
4. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
5. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)