|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of shoes is Dee wearing for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(a) Go go boots.
(c) High heels.
2. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
(a) Embroidered pillow cases.
(b) Her old baby clothes.
(c) Two quilts pieced by Grandma Dee.
(d) Old family photos.
3. Who makes the sounds in the kitchen?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
(b) Grandma Dee.
4. From where does the wood that gives Ms. Johnson's dasher its color come?
(c) The woods behind Grandma Dee's house.
(d) A tree that grew in the yard where Big Dee and Stash lived.
5. Once Maggie weds, what is Ms. Johnson free to sit in her yard and do?
(b) Plant corn.
(c) Raise flowers.
(d) Sing church songs.
6. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
(a) She shakes hands heartily.
(b) She keeps trying to pull her limp, sweating hand back.
(c) She screams.
(d) She runs away.
7. How many quilts does Dee/Wangero take back to the city with her at the end of the story?
8. In real life, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's white-haired and petite.
(b) She's freckled and has blonde hair.
(c) She's large and big-boned with rough, man-working hands.
(d) She's skinny and short.
9. How does the man who emerges from the car with Dee wear his hair?
(a) He shaves his head.
(d) In cornrows.
10. What happens to the Johnson's previous house ten to twelve years before the events in "Everyday Use"?
(a) It burns to the ground.
(b) A tornado devastates it.
(c) The bank repossesses it.
(d) Termites and rats infest it.
11. What scraps of Grandma Dee's clothing are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of dresses Grandma Dee wore over 50 years ago.
(b) Pieces of her old pillow cases.
(c) Pieces of her old flannel nightgowns.
(d) Pieces of her old aprons.
12. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(c) Grandma Dee.
(d) Aunt Dicie.
13. Who makes the dining benches on which the Johnsons and Hakim-a-barber sit during dinner?
(a) Uncle Buddy.
(c) Dee's father.
(d) Dee's brother.
14. What does Ms. Johnson believe Maggie thinks her portion from God is?
(a) To be loveless and alone.
(b) To do without while Wangero prospers.
(c) To prosper and live in abundance.
(d) To suffer ill health.
15. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," how does Ms. Johnson think Maggie will feel during Dee's visit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dee want to match a green suit she makes from an old suit someone gives her mother?
2. What one thing does the person taking the Polaroids make sure is always included in each picture?
3. Which character in "Everyday Use" goes to school in Augusta on money Ms. Johnson and her church raise?
4. What does Ms. Johnson think that Dee had at age sixteen?
5. What is Ms. Johnson's religion?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)