|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dee says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story, to whom is she referring?
(a) Herself and her mother.
(b) The Johnson sisters.
(c) The entire Johnson family.
(d) African Americans.
2. How many rooms does the Johnsons' current house have?
3. Who overhears Wangero and Ms. Johnson discussing the quilts?
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(c) Grandma Dee.
(d) Grandpa Jarrell.
4. How many sons does Ms. Johnson have?
5. How does Dee greet her mother and sister?
(a) With a hearty hello.
(b) With a kiss.
(c) With an Arabic greeting.
(d) With a hug.
6. Whose name is twice as long and three times as hard as Wangero's in Ms. Johnson's opinion?
(a) Dee's male companion.
(b) Dee's college roommate.
(c) Dee's college professor.
(d) Dee's pastor.
7. What does Ms. Johnson offer Wangero instead of the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
(a) The butter churn dasher and top.
(b) Her mother's wedding dress.
(c) Grandma Dee's butter dish.
(d) One or two other quilts in her collection.
8. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
(a) Black men.
(b) White men.
(c) White women.
(d) People with college degrees.
9. What kind of windows does the current Johnson home have?
(a) Holes cut in the sides with shutters held by rawhide.
(b) It's windowless.
(c) Real glass windows.
(d) Big bay windows.
10. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, on what television program are she and Dee brought together?
(a) Jerry Springer.
(b) David Letterman.
(c) Johnny Carson.
11. Who is the first male character to appear onstage in "Everyday Use?"
(a) John Thomas.
(b) Grandpa Jarrell.
(d) Great Grandpa Ezra.
12. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
(b) A cotton housedress.
(c) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
13. What is the nickname of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn dasher?
(a) Big Bear.
(b) Old Henry.
14. To whom does Ms. Johnson promise to give the quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
(b) Aunt Dicie.
15. How many quilts does Dee/Wangero take back to the city with her at the end of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wangero want the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced rather than the substitute gift her mother offers her?
2. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
3. What does Wangero plan to do with the quilts?
4. In what patterns are the two quilts Wangero finds in the trunk sewn?
5. Who is Dee's father?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)