|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character in "Everyday Use" always walks with her eyes on the ground and her chin on her chest?
(b) Ms. Johnson.
(c) Uncle Buddy.
2. What sounds does Ms. Johnson hear when Wangero asks if she can have the quilts?
(a) A door slamming and someone weeping.
(b) Pots and pans banging in the kitchen.
(c) Glass breaking and someone cursing.
(d) Something falling and the slam of the kitchen door.
3. To what group of people does Ms. Johnson ask Hakim-a-barber if he belongs?
(a) Sheep farmers down the road.
(b) A group of local artisans.
(c) Her Muslim neighbors who raise cattle.
(d) Muslim extremists in Augusta.
4. What does Ms. Johnson ask Maggie to bring her at the end of the story?
(a) A needle and thread to begin another quilt.
(b) A dip of snuff.
(c) A quilt from the trunk.
(d) Another plate of dinner.
5. How does Ms. Johnson describe Dee's feet?
(a) Perfectly pedicured.
(b) Big with hairy toes.
(c) Small and dainty.
(d) Neat looking as if God shaped them with a certain style.
6. What scrap of Great Grandpa Ezra's clothing is in the quilts?
(a) A piece of his wedding pants.
(b) A piece of his old red flannel shirt.
(c) A piece of his Civil War uniform.
(d) A piece of his christening gown.
7. How many Johnson women are Dee?
8. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
(a) From her faucet.
(b) From her farm's well.
(c) By breaking ice.
(d) From bottled water she buys at the store in town.
9. How does the Johnson's current home different from their previous home?
(a) It has more land with it.
(b) It has a tin roof instead of a shingle roof.
(c) It is smaller.
(d) It is larger.
10. Which character in "Everyday Use" doesn't read well due to poor eyesight?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(c) Grandma Dee.
(d) Aunt Dicie.
11. Who hates the current Johnson house as well as the old Johnson house?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
12. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
(a) It is a name she will never prounounce correctly.
(b) She will abide by Wangero's wishes & use the new name.
(c) It is an ugly name.
(d) It insults the family heritage of women named Dee.
13. When their school closes after the second grade, why don't the local Blacks protest?
(a) They fear violent repercussions.
(b) There is little community support for reopening it.
(c) In 1927 they ask fewer questions than they do now.
(d) Their children are needed on the farm instead of in school.
14. Which of the following is not in a Polaroid of the Johnson family reunion?
(c) Ms. Johnson.
(d) A cow.
15. After dinner, who goes into Ms. Johnson's room and riffles through the trunk at the foot of Ms. Johnson's bed?
(b) Ms. Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of "Everyday Use?"
2. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
3. What does Ms. Johnson offer Wangero instead of the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
4. What does the person who wants the butter churn top slide over it as if trying to see how it will look in her own home?
5. What hairstyle is Dee wearing when she arrives at her family's home?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)