|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wangero feel on the benches when she runs her hands along them?
(a) Chips in the wood.
(b) Rump prints.
(d) The smooth surface of the varnished wood.
2. What kind of windows does the current Johnson home have?
(a) Holes cut in the sides with shutters held by rawhide.
(b) Real glass windows.
(c) It's windowless.
(d) Big bay windows.
3. In what point of view is "Everyday Use" told?
(a) Third person omniscient.
(b) Third person limited.
(c) Second person.
(d) First person.
4. Who is the antagonist in "Everyday Use?"
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(c) John Thomas.
5. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) Hang it on her wall.
(b) Make it the centerpiece for her alcove table.
(c) Use it as a flower vase.
(d) Make butter in it.
6. What is Dee's relationship to Maggie?
(a) They're friends.
(b) They're cousins.
(c) They're neighbors.
(d) They're sisters.
7. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
(a) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
(c) A cotton housedress.
8. What kind of jobs has Ms. Johnson always done well?
(a) Nursing jobs.
(b) Clerical jobs.
(c) Man's farm work like butchering and milking.
(d) Housekeeping or maid jobs.
9. What is Ms. Johnson's marital state?
(d) The story never reveals this fact.
10. Which character in "Everyday Use" has burn scars?
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
11. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
(a) Gossip about Wangero.
(b) Sit in the yard enjoying themselves until bedtime.
(c) Eat dessert.
(d) Start a new quilt.
12. When Ms. Johnson offers Dee a quilt in the past, what is Dee's reaction?
(a) She loves the idea, takes the quilt and asks for more.
(b) She wants to learn to quilt herself.
(c) She does't want it because it is too plain.
(d) She doesn't want it because it is old-fashioned.
13. How does Dee look in comparison to Maggie?
(a) She's lighter in complexion with nicer hair and a fuller figure.
(b) She's more freckled and wears thicker glasses.
(c) She's taller and fatter.
(d) She's shorter and has more warts.
14. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn top to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her second husband.
(b) He was her brother.
(c) He was her father.
(d) He was her grandfather.
15. How does the character who goes to school in Augusta try to share her knowledge with the rest of the family?
(a) She loans them her textbooks.
(b) She encourages them to enroll in college.
(c) She invites them to her school recitals.
(d) She reads to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
2. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
3. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
4. Who wraps Ms. Johnson's dasher right there at the dinner table?
5. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)