|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose name is twice as long and three times as hard as Wangero's in Ms. Johnson's opinion?
(a) Dee's college roommate.
(b) Dee's pastor.
(c) Dee's male companion.
(d) Dee's college professor.
2. Who makes the sounds in the kitchen?
(b) Grandma Dee.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
3. What does Ms. Johnson say could be done if the quilts do become rags in five years?
(a) Ms. Johnson could buy new quilts for Maggie.
(b) Ms. Johnson could knit Maggie some blankets.
(c) Maggie could make herself some new quilts.
(d) Maggie could buy new quilts.
4. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
(a) From her faucet.
(b) From her farm's well.
(c) From bottled water she buys at the store in town.
(d) By breaking ice.
5. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
(c) A cotton housedress.
(d) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
6. What scraps of Grandma Dee's clothing are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of her old flannel nightgowns.
(b) Pieces of her old aprons.
(c) Pieces of dresses Grandma Dee wore over 50 years ago.
(d) Pieces of her old pillow cases.
7. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," who does Ms. Johnson say will regard Dee with a mixture of envy and awe?
(b) Grandma Dee.
(c) Grandpa Ezra.
(d) John Thomas.
8. How does Dee's male companion greet Ms. Johnson and Maggie?
(a) With a polite nod.
(b) With the Arabic greeting Asalamalakim.
(c) With a kiss on the cheek.
(d) With a handshake.
9. What does Ms. Johnson kill with a sledge hammer one winter?
(a) A hog.
(b) A rat.
(c) A bull calf.
(d) A wolf.
10. After whom does Ms. Johnson name Dee?
(a) A good friend.
(b) An old neighbor.
(c) A cousin.
(d) Aunt Dicie, Ms. Johnson's sister and Dee's aunt.
11. What is Dee's relationship to Maggie?
(a) They're friends.
(b) They're cousins.
(c) They're neighbors.
(d) They're sisters.
12. How does Dee look in comparison to Maggie?
(a) She's taller and fatter.
(b) She's shorter and has more warts.
(c) She's lighter in complexion with nicer hair and a fuller figure.
(d) She's more freckled and wears thicker glasses.
13. Who tells Ms. Johnson she doesn't understand her heritage?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
14. On what occasion has Ms. Johnson offered Dee a quilt in the past?
(a) When Dee left for college.
(b) The previous Christmas.
(c) Dee's eighteenth birthday.
(d) Dee's high school graduation.
15. What unpleasant truth does Ms. Johnson say Maggie realizes about herself?
(a) She is unemployable due to her lack of education.
(b) She will never be able to afford college.
(c) Hakim-a-barber will never prefer her to Dee.
(d) Good looks, money and intelligence have passed her by.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sounds does Ms. Johnson hear when Wangero asks if she can have the quilts?
2. What scrap of Great Grandpa Ezra's clothing is in the quilts?
3. What hairstyle is Dee wearing when she arrives at her family's home?
4. What word does Ms. Johnson say the world never tells Dee?
5. Which character in "Everyday Use" doesn't read well due to poor eyesight?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)