|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wangero feel on the benches when she runs her hands along them?
(a) Chips in the wood.
(c) The smooth surface of the varnished wood.
(d) Rump prints.
2. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) Hang it on her wall.
(b) Use it as a flower vase.
(c) Make butter in it.
(d) Make it the centerpiece for her alcove table.
3. What color is the dress Dee wears for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(a) Orange and yellow.
(d) Black and white plaid.
4. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," how does Ms. Johnson think Maggie will feel during Dee's visit?
5. When Ms. Johnson snatches Grandma Dee's quilts from Wangero's hands, into whose hands does she place them?
(c) John Thomas's.
(d) Aunt Dicie's.
6. When Dee says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story, to whom is she referring?
(a) The Johnson sisters.
(b) The entire Johnson family.
(c) Herself and her mother.
(d) African Americans.
7. Which character in "Everyday Use" always walks with her eyes on the ground and her chin on her chest?
(a) Uncle Buddy.
(b) Ms. Johnson.
8. To whom does Ms. Johnson promise to give the quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
(b) Aunt Dicie.
9. Who wraps Ms. Johnson's dasher right there at the dinner table?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
10. Whose name is twice as long and three times as hard as Wangero's in Ms. Johnson's opinion?
(a) Dee's college roommate.
(b) Dee's college professor.
(c) Dee's male companion.
(d) Dee's pastor.
11. How far back can Ms. Johnson trace her family tree?
(a) Beyond the Civil War.
(b) To her grandmother.
(c) To her great-grandmother.
(d) To the Civil War.
12. Which character in "Everyday Use" goes to school in Augusta on money Ms. Johnson and her church raise?
(b) John Thomas.
13. What drives Jimmy T, a former suitor, away from Dee?
(a) She criticizes him too much.
(b) She isn't smart enough for him.
(c) She cheats on him.
(d) She isn't rich enough for him.
14. Who is the antagonist in "Everyday Use?"
(b) John Thomas.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
15. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," who does Ms. Johnson say will regard Dee with a mixture of envy and awe?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(c) John Thomas.
(d) Grandpa Ezra.
Short Answer Questions
1. What facial expression does Maggie have after her sister leaves?
2. To what does Dee change her name?
3. In what is the Johnson home located?
4. How does Dee's male companion greet Ms. Johnson and Maggie?
5. What is Hakim-a-barber's religion?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)