|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
(a) Uncle Henry.
(b) Grandpa Jarrell.
(c) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(d) Uncle Buddy.
2. Who is the first male character to appear onstage in "Everyday Use?"
(a) Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(c) John Thomas.
3. What scrap of Great Grandpa Ezra's clothing is in the quilts?
(a) A piece of his Civil War uniform.
(b) A piece of his old red flannel shirt.
(c) A piece of his wedding pants.
(d) A piece of his christening gown.
4. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
(a) She keeps trying to pull her limp, sweating hand back.
(b) She screams.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She shakes hands heartily.
5. How does Dee look in comparison to Maggie?
(a) She's more freckled and wears thicker glasses.
(b) She's shorter and has more warts.
(c) She's taller and fatter.
(d) She's lighter in complexion with nicer hair and a fuller figure.
6. What does Ms. Johnson believe Maggie thinks her portion from God is?
(a) To suffer ill health.
(b) To prosper and live in abundance.
(c) To be loveless and alone.
(d) To do without while Wangero prospers.
7. Which character in "Everyday Use" doesn't read well due to poor eyesight?
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
(d) Grandma Dee.
8. Which Johnson women know how to quilt?
(a) Ms. Johnson, Wangero, and Grandma Dee.
(b) Everyone but Wangero.
(c) Maggie, Grandma Dee and Wangero.
(d) Maggie, Ms. Johnson, Wangero and Aunt Dicie.
9. With what has Ms. Johnson primarily been concerned all her life?
(c) Milking cows.
(d) Sewing and quilting.
10. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," what kind of tree does Ms. Johnson say she likes to sit outside and look up into while enjoying the breeze?
(a) A pine tree.
(b) An elm tree.
(c) A sycamore tree.
(d) A maple tree.
11. Whose hand closes over Grandma Dee's butter dish at dinner?
(a) Ms. Johnson's.
12. Which of the following characters are mentioned in "Everyday Use" but do not actually appear on stage?
(a) Maggie and John Thomas.
(b) Grandma Dee, Aunt Dicie, and Grandpa Jarrell.
(c) Hakim-a-barber and Wangero.
(d) Great Grandpa Ezra, John Thomas, and Hakim-a-barber.
13. To what does Wangero compare Maggie's brain when Maggie tells Hakim-a-barber who whittled the churn dash?
(a) A canteloupe.
(b) An elephant's brain.
(c) A piece of straw.
(d) A pea.
14. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
(a) The front yard.
(b) The front porch.
(c) The back yard.
(d) The living room.
15. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn top to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her brother.
(b) He was her grandfather.
(c) He was her father.
(d) He was her second husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
2. To whom does Ms. Johnson promise to give the quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
3. What is the socioeconomic status of Ms. Johnson in "Everyday Use?"
4. Why does Dee think the quilts will become rags in five years?
5. From where does the wood that gives Ms. Johnson's dasher its color come?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)