|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose name is twice as long and three times as hard as Wangero's in Ms. Johnson's opinion?
(a) Dee's college roommate.
(b) Dee's male companion.
(c) Dee's college professor.
(d) Dee's pastor.
2. How does Hakim-a-barber feel about the group of people to which Ms. Johnson asks if he belongs?
(a) He considers them allies.
(b) He hates them.
(c) He disagrees with their doctrines.
(d) He shares their doctrines, but doesn't farm or raise cattle.
3. Who is the antagonist in "Everyday Use?"
(a) John Thomas.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
4. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dash to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her grandfather.
(b) He was her first husband.
(c) He was her uncle.
(d) He was her father.
5. How does Ms. Johnson describe Dee's feet?
(a) Big with hairy toes.
(b) Small and dainty.
(c) Neat looking as if God shaped them with a certain style.
(d) Perfectly pedicured.
6. Who asks Ms. Johnson for the butter churn dasher?
(a) John Thomas.
7. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
(a) She screams.
(b) She shakes hands heartily.
(c) She keeps trying to pull her limp, sweating hand back.
(d) She runs away.
8. What drives Jimmy T, a former suitor, away from Dee?
(a) She criticizes him too much.
(b) She isn't smart enough for him.
(c) She isn't rich enough for him.
(d) She cheats on him.
9. Who in the Johnson family had the name Dee before Dee and the woman for whom Dee was named?
(a) A great aunt.
(b) A first cousin.
(c) Grandma Dee and her mother, Great Grandma Dee.
(d) Ms. Johnson's mother-in-law.
10. What does Ms. Johnson kill with a sledge hammer one winter?
(a) A rat.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A bull calf.
(d) A hog.
11. When Ms. Johnson finds Wangero's name hard to pronounce, what does Wangero say?
(a) Ms. Johnson could prounounce it if she were smarter.
(b) Ms. Johnson doesn't have to use it if she doesn't want to.
(c) Ms. Johnson should practice saying it until she gets it right.
(d) Ms. Johnson can used the shortened version Wang.
12. How does the man who emerges from the car with Dee wear his hair?
(b) He shaves his head.
(c) In cornrows.
13. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
(a) The living room.
(b) The front porch.
(c) The front yard.
(d) The back yard.
14. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
(a) From her farm's well.
(b) From her faucet.
(c) By breaking ice.
(d) From bottled water she buys at the store in town.
15. To what does Dee change her name?
(a) Raelene Jordan.
(b) Kenisha Jackson.
(c) Wangero Leewanika Kemanjo.
(d) Ariella Candace Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Ms. Johnson describe as "soothing and slow?"
2. After dinner, who goes into Ms. Johnson's room and riffles through the trunk at the foot of Ms. Johnson's bed?
3. Who hangs in the kitchen doing dishes after the Johnsons' reunion dinner?
4. What scrap of Great Grandpa Ezra's clothing is in the quilts?
5. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)