|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing out of the car upon Dee's arrival that identifies Dee to Ms. Johnson?
(a) Her head.
(b) Her arm.
(c) Her leg.
(d) Her purse.
2. How does Ms. Johnson describe the man who emerges from the car with Dee?
(a) Tall and thin with a big mustache.
(b) Tall and fat.
(c) Short and stocky with hair all over his head and chin.
(d) Short and thin with big glasses.
3. In "Everyday Use," whose school closes after second grade?
(c) Ms. Johnson's.
(d) John Thomas's.
4. How much does Dee think Grandma Dee's quilts are worth?
(a) She thinks they're worth a few dozen dollars.
(b) She thinks they're worth a few hundred dollars.
(c) She thinks they're priceless.
(d) She doesn't think they're worth anything.
5. What drives Jimmy T, a former suitor, away from Dee?
(a) She isn't rich enough for him.
(b) She criticizes him too much.
(c) She cheats on him.
(d) She isn't smart enough for him.
6. Which character in "Everyday Use" doesn't read well due to poor eyesight?
(b) Grandma Dee.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
(d) Aunt Dicie.
7. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
8. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dash to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her father.
(b) He was her uncle.
(c) He was her grandfather.
(d) He was her first husband.
9. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
(a) Her college professors.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her pastor.
(d) Her husband.
10. What is the socioeconomic status of Ms. Johnson in "Everyday Use?"
(a) She's a slave.
(b) She's poor.
(c) She's middle class.
(d) She's rich.
11. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
(a) She will abide by Wangero's wishes & use the new name.
(b) It is an ugly name.
(c) It is a name she will never prounounce correctly.
(d) It insults the family heritage of women named Dee.
12. What hairstyle is Dee wearing when she arrives at her family's home?
(a) Two long pigtails roped around her ears.
(c) She has shaved her head.
(d) A short Afro.
13. Why do the Johnsons have dining benches instead of dining chairs?
(a) They can't afford chairs.
(b) Ms. Johnson finds chairs uncomfortable to sit on.
(c) They don't like chairs.
(d) Dee's father doesn't know how to make chairs.
14. What does Wangero plan to do with the quilts?
(a) Use them as curtains.
(b) Use them on her beds.
(c) Donate them to a museum.
(d) Hang them as art on her walls.
15. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
(c) Grandma Dee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who wants the butter churn top slide over it as if trying to see how it will look in her own home?
2. Which Johnson family women quilts the quilt tops that Grandma Dee pieces?
3. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
4. What scrap of Great Grandpa Ezra's clothing is in the quilts?
5. What does Maggie wear for Dee's arrival in "Everyday Use"?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)