|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Dee change her name?
(a) Kenisha Jackson.
(b) Raelene Jordan.
(c) Ariella Candace Jones.
(d) Wangero Leewanika Kemanjo.
2. What unpleasant truth does Ms. Johnson say Maggie realizes about herself?
(a) Hakim-a-barber will never prefer her to Dee.
(b) Good looks, money and intelligence have passed her by.
(c) She will never be able to afford college.
(d) She is unemployable due to her lack of education.
3. What scraps of Grandma Dee's clothing are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of dresses Grandma Dee wore over 50 years ago.
(b) Pieces of her old flannel nightgowns.
(c) Pieces of her old aprons.
(d) Pieces of her old pillow cases.
4. To what does Wangero compare Maggie's brain when Maggie tells Hakim-a-barber who whittled the churn dash?
(a) A piece of straw.
(b) An elephant's brain.
(c) A pea.
(d) A canteloupe.
5. On what occasion has Ms. Johnson offered Dee a quilt in the past?
(a) Dee's eighteenth birthday.
(b) When Dee left for college.
(c) Dee's high school graduation.
(d) The previous Christmas.
6. What does Ms. Johnson note is still in the butter churn during dinner?
(a) Milk that has turned to clabber.
(b) Grandma Dee's apron.
(c) A mouse.
7. How does Dee respond when her mother asks her what happened to Dee?
(a) She says Dee is wanted by the IRS.
(b) She says Dee's dead.
(c) She says Dee is wanted by the police.
(d) She says Hakim-a-barber hates the name Dee.
8. In real life, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's skinny and short.
(b) She's large and big-boned with rough, man-working hands.
(c) She's white-haired and petite.
(d) She's freckled and has blonde hair.
9. Who in the Johnson family had the name Dee before Dee and the woman for whom Dee was named?
(a) Ms. Johnson's mother-in-law.
(b) A great aunt.
(c) A first cousin.
(d) Grandma Dee and her mother, Great Grandma Dee.
10. In what is the Johnson home located?
(a) A big Augusta, Georgia subdivision.
(b) A former Revolutionary War battlefield.
(c) A former Civil War battlefield.
(d) A pasture.
11. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
(a) A ruby brooch.
(b) A sterling silver cross.
(c) An orchid.
(d) A rose.
12. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
(b) Maggie's wedding to John Thomas.
(c) Maggie's birthday.
13. What does Dee's companion end up asking the family to call him?
14. Who tells Ms. Johnson she doesn't understand her heritage?
(b) Aunt Dicie.
15. What kind of jobs has Ms. Johnson always done well?
(a) Man's farm work like butchering and milking.
(b) Housekeeping or maid jobs.
(c) Nursing jobs.
(d) Clerical jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dee look in comparison to Maggie?
2. What color is Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
3. What kind of shoes is Dee wearing for her reunion with her mother and sister?
4. What is Ms. Johnson's religion?
5. Who escapes unharmed from the tragedy that befell the old Johnson house?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)