|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character in "Everyday Use" has no education?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(b) John Thomas.
(d) Grandma Dee.
2. What scraps of Grandpa Jarrell's clothes are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of his Paisley shirts.
(b) Pieces of his overalls.
(c) Pieces of his woolen longjohns.
(d) Pieces of his flannel shirts.
3. What does Jimmy T do soon after breaking up with Dee?
(a) Move to Atlanta.
(b) Wreck his car.
(c) Enlist in the Army.
(d) Marry another woman.
4. What does Ms. Johnson notice in the wood of the dasher?
(a) Sink marks from thumbs & fingers touching the wood.
(b) Scuff marks.
(c) Termite holes.
5. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
(a) It is a name she will never prounounce correctly.
(b) It insults the family heritage of women named Dee.
(c) It is an ugly name.
(d) She will abide by Wangero's wishes & use the new name.
6. What is Ms. Johnson's religion?
7. How much does Dee think Grandma Dee's quilts are worth?
(a) She doesn't think they're worth anything.
(b) She thinks they're worth a few dozen dollars.
(c) She thinks they're worth a few hundred dollars.
(d) She thinks they're priceless.
8. How is the weather when Dee comes to visit her family?
9. How did Ms. Johnson used to think Dee felt about Maggie?
(a) That Dee hated Maggie.
(b) That Dee was jealous of Maggie.
(c) That Dee adored Maggie.
(d) That Dee considered Maggie an embarrassment.
10. What looks like a mule tail to Ms. Johnson when she sees Dee's male companion?
(a) The man's ponytail.
(b) The hair hanging from the man's chin.
(c) The man's braid.
(d) The man's mustache.
11. Which character in "Everyday Use" always looks anyone in the eye because hesitation is not part of her nature?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
(b) Ms. Johnson.
12. Which Johnson family women quilts the quilt tops that Grandma Dee pieces?
(a) Great Grandma Dee and Aunt Dicie.
(b) Cousin Celie and Cousin Jill.
(c) Ms. Johnson and her sister, Aunt Dicie or Big Dee.
(d) Aunt Cassie and Maggie.
13. In what patterns are the two quilts Wangero finds in the trunk sewn?
(a) The Lone Star and Walk Around the Mountain patterns.
(b) The Dutch Doll and Drunkard's path patterns.
(c) The Drunkard's Path and Lone Star patterns.
(d) The Southern Belle and Dutch Doll patterns.
14. From where does the wood that gives Ms. Johnson's dasher its color come?
(b) The woods behind Grandma Dee's house.
(c) A tree that grew in the yard where Big Dee and Stash lived.
15. Who overhears Wangero and Ms. Johnson discussing the quilts?
(a) Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Johnson's current home different from their previous home?
2. How does Maggie react when Dee's companion moves forward to hug her?
3. What does the person who wants the butter churn top slide over it as if trying to see how it will look in her own home?
4. How does Dee greet her mother and sister?
5. Which character in "Everyday Use" refuses to eat collard greens and considers pork unclean?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)