|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of soil comprises Ms. Johnson's yard?
(a) Red earth.
(b) Rich, dark brown earth.
(c) Dry, dusty soil.
(d) Hard clay.
2. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
(a) The back yard.
(b) The front porch.
(c) The living room.
(d) The front yard.
3. To what does Dee change her name?
(a) Kenisha Jackson.
(b) Raelene Jordan.
(c) Wangero Leewanika Kemanjo.
(d) Ariella Candace Jones.
4. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
(a) A rose.
(b) An orchid.
(c) A sterling silver cross.
(d) A ruby brooch.
5. Who hangs in the kitchen doing dishes after the Johnsons' reunion dinner?
(a) John Thomas.
6. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear to bed?
(a) Flannel nightgowns.
(b) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
(c) Men's pajamas.
7. Which character in "Everyday Use" always walks with her eyes on the ground and her chin on her chest?
(a) Uncle Buddy.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
8. Who is the first male character mentioned in "Everyday Use?"
(a) John Thomas.
(c) Johnny Carson.
(d) Grandpa Jarrell.
9. What is Ms. Johnson's marital state?
(d) The story never reveals this fact.
10. What does Ms. Johnson ask Maggie to bring her at the end of the story?
(a) A dip of snuff.
(b) A needle and thread to begin another quilt.
(c) Another plate of dinner.
(d) A quilt from the trunk.
11. What sound does Maggie make when she sees Dee's companion?
(a) A scream.
(b) A hearty laugh.
(d) A sob.
12. What kind of dress does Dee wear to her graduation?
(a) Yellow organdy.
(b) Red silk.
(c) Blue gingham.
(d) Purple and white paisley.
13. To what does Wangero compare Maggie's brain when Maggie tells Hakim-a-barber who whittled the churn dash?
(a) A pea.
(b) A canteloupe.
(c) An elephant's brain.
(d) A piece of straw.
14. What kind of jewelry does Dee wear for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(a) A silver wristwatch.
(b) Gold earrings and bracelets.
(c) A ruby pendant.
(d) Pear earrings.
15. Which Johnson family women quilts the quilt tops that Grandma Dee pieces?
(a) Cousin Celie and Cousin Jill.
(b) Ms. Johnson and her sister, Aunt Dicie or Big Dee.
(c) Great Grandma Dee and Aunt Dicie.
(d) Aunt Cassie and Maggie.
Short Answer Questions
1. After whom does Ms. Johnson name Dee?
2. When Ms. Johnson finds Wangero's name hard to pronounce, what does Wangero say?
3. What is the nickname of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn dasher?
4. How does Dee respond when her mother asks her what happened to Dee?
5. What does Ms. Johnson remember from the tragedy that befell her home ten to twelve years earlier?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)