|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson remember from the tragedy that befell her home ten to twelve years earlier?
(a) How the neighbors helped with the tragedy.
(b) Holding Maggie with her smoking hair and peeling dress.
(c) The firemen working to put out the flames.
(d) Dee's terror.
2. When their school closes after the second grade, why don't the local Blacks protest?
(a) There is little community support for reopening it.
(b) In 1927 they ask fewer questions than they do now.
(c) They fear violent repercussions.
(d) Their children are needed on the farm instead of in school.
3. How many quilts does Dee/Wangero take back to the city with her at the end of the story?
4. Who hangs in the kitchen doing dishes after the Johnsons' reunion dinner?
(c) John Thomas.
5. What does Ms. Johnson notice in the wood of the dasher?
(a) Sink marks from thumbs & fingers touching the wood.
(b) Scuff marks.
(d) Termite holes.
6. What is Dee's relationship to Maggie?
(a) They're neighbors.
(b) They're friends.
(c) They're sisters.
(d) They're cousins.
7. What drives Jimmy T, a former suitor, away from Dee?
(a) She cheats on him.
(b) She criticizes him too much.
(c) She isn't smart enough for him.
(d) She isn't rich enough for him.
8. Who puts on a pair of sunglasses at the end of "Everyday Use"?
(d) Ms. Johnson.
9. How does Ms. Johnson describe Maggie's fiance?
(a) A tall man with thick glasses.
(b) A man with mossy teeth in an earnest face.
(c) A handsome man with a mustache.
(d) A short, fat man with dimples.
10. In the story's first paragraph, to which room of the house does Ms. Johnson compare her yard, saying it's an extension of that room?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The living room.
(d) The bedroom.
11. How is the weather when Dee comes to visit her family?
12. Who wraps Ms. Johnson's dasher right there at the dinner table?
(d) Ms. Johnson.
13. How many Johnson women are Dee?
14. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
(a) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
(c) A cotton housedress.
15. Why do the Johnsons have dining benches instead of dining chairs?
(a) They don't like chairs.
(b) Dee's father doesn't know how to make chairs.
(c) Ms. Johnson finds chairs uncomfortable to sit on.
(d) They can't afford chairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
2. How does Dee respond when her mother asks her what happened to Dee?
3. What does Ms. Johnson ask Maggie to bring her at the end of the story?
4. How does Dee greet her mother and sister?
5. What does Ms. Johnson offer Wangero instead of the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)