|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
(a) Uncle Buddy.
(b) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(c) Uncle Henry.
(d) Grandpa Jarrell.
2. What does Ms. Johnson remember from the tragedy that befell her home ten to twelve years earlier?
(a) The firemen working to put out the flames.
(b) Dee's terror.
(c) Holding Maggie with her smoking hair and peeling dress.
(d) How the neighbors helped with the tragedy.
3. What color is the dress Dee wears for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(a) Orange and yellow.
(c) Black and white plaid.
4. In real life, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's large and big-boned with rough, man-working hands.
(b) She's skinny and short.
(c) She's white-haired and petite.
(d) She's freckled and has blonde hair.
5. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(b) Aunt Dicie.
6. What does Ms. Johnson believe Maggie thinks her portion from God is?
(a) To be loveless and alone.
(b) To prosper and live in abundance.
(c) To do without while Wangero prospers.
(d) To suffer ill health.
7. What does Ms. Johnson notice in the wood of the dasher?
(a) Termite holes.
(b) Sink marks from thumbs & fingers touching the wood.
(c) Scuff marks.
8. Who is the antagonist in "Everyday Use?"
(b) John Thomas.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
9. Which Johnson women know how to quilt?
(a) Ms. Johnson, Wangero, and Grandma Dee.
(b) Everyone but Wangero.
(c) Maggie, Grandma Dee and Wangero.
(d) Maggie, Ms. Johnson, Wangero and Aunt Dicie.
10. What kind of jewelry does Dee wear for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(a) A ruby pendant.
(b) Gold earrings and bracelets.
(c) Pear earrings.
(d) A silver wristwatch.
11. What does Ms. Johnson think Dee's companion does for a living because of his name?
(a) She thinks he's a Musllim preacher.
(b) She thinks he's a college professor.
(c) She thinks he's a barber.
(d) She thinks he's a lawyer.
12. What is Ms. Johnson's religion?
13. In "Everyday Use," whose school closes after second grade?
(c) John Thomas's.
(d) Ms. Johnson's.
14. Which character in "Everyday Use" has burn scars?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(d) Aunt Dicie.
15. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Maggie weds, what is Ms. Johnson free to sit in her yard and do?
2. What unpleasant truth does Ms. Johnson say Maggie realizes about herself?
3. How far back can Ms. Johnson trace her family tree?
4. How does Maggie react when Dee's companion moves forward to hug her?
5. How long is Dee's dress when she exits the car?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)