|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
(a) People with college degrees.
(b) Black men.
(c) White women.
(d) White men.
2. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
(a) She shakes hands heartily.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She keeps trying to pull her limp, sweating hand back.
(d) She screams.
3. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(d) Aunt Dicie.
4. What color is Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
(b) Light yellow.
(d) Dark brown.
5. What does Ms. Johnson kill with a sledge hammer one winter?
(a) A rat.
(b) A hog.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A bull calf.
6. Why advantage does Ms. Johnson think her substitute gift has over the quilts Wangero wants?
(a) Her other quilts are newer.
(b) Her other quilts are prettier.
(c) Her other quilts are made of warmer fabrics.
(d) Machine-stitched quilts will last longer than hand-stitched.
7. In what patterns are the two quilts Wangero finds in the trunk sewn?
(a) The Dutch Doll and Drunkard's path patterns.
(b) The Drunkard's Path and Lone Star patterns.
(c) The Southern Belle and Dutch Doll patterns.
(d) The Lone Star and Walk Around the Mountain patterns.
8. Which character in "Everyday Use" delights in the chitlins and corn bread, greens and sweet potatoes Ms. Johnson serves for dinner during Dee's visit?
(c) John Thomas.
9. Who says Wangero can have the quilts after Ms. Johnson says Wangero can't?
(a) Grandpa Jarrell.
(c) John Thomas.
10. What does Maggie wear for Dee's arrival in "Everyday Use"?
(a) Blue jeans and a white blouse.
(c) A mini skirt.
(d) A pink skirt and red blouse.
11. What is the socioeconomic status of Ms. Johnson in "Everyday Use?"
(a) She's poor.
(b) She's middle class.
(c) She's rich.
(d) She's a slave.
12. What unpleasant truth does Ms. Johnson say Maggie realizes about herself?
(a) Good looks, money and intelligence have passed her by.
(b) She will never be able to afford college.
(c) She is unemployable due to her lack of education.
(d) Hakim-a-barber will never prefer her to Dee.
13. When Dee says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story, to whom is she referring?
(a) The entire Johnson family.
(b) African Americans.
(c) Herself and her mother.
(d) The Johnson sisters.
14. How does Hakim-a-barber feel about the group of people to which Ms. Johnson asks if he belongs?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He shares their doctrines, but doesn't farm or raise cattle.
(c) He disagrees with their doctrines.
(d) He considers them allies.
15. Which of the following is not in a Polaroid of the Johnson family reunion?
(a) A cow.
(b) Ms. Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy T do soon after breaking up with Dee?
2. Who puts on a pair of sunglasses at the end of "Everyday Use"?
3. What is Dee's relationship to Maggie?
4. What is the nickname of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn dasher?
5. Who is the narrator of "Everyday Use?"
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)