|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
(a) Eat dessert.
(b) Sit in the yard enjoying themselves until bedtime.
(c) Start a new quilt.
(d) Gossip about Wangero.
2. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
(a) She will abide by Wangero's wishes & use the new name.
(b) It is an ugly name.
(c) It insults the family heritage of women named Dee.
(d) It is a name she will never prounounce correctly.
3. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
(a) Embroidered pillow cases.
(b) Old family photos.
(c) Her old baby clothes.
(d) Two quilts pieced by Grandma Dee.
4. How much does Dee think Grandma Dee's quilts are worth?
(a) She thinks they're priceless.
(b) She thinks they're worth a few hundred dollars.
(c) She thinks they're worth a few dozen dollars.
(d) She doesn't think they're worth anything.
5. What word does Ms. Johnson say the world never tells Dee?
6. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," with whom is Ms. Johnson waiting in the yard?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(c) Big Dee.
(d) Her daughter, Maggie.
7. When boys and girls hang around Dee in her youth, what does she do to entertain them?
(a) She reads to them.
(b) She plays records for them.
(c) She plays hopskotch with them.
(d) She sings to them.
8. How does the character who goes to school in Augusta try to share her knowledge with the rest of the family?
(a) She encourages them to enroll in college.
(b) She reads to them.
(c) She loans them her textbooks.
(d) She invites them to her school recitals.
9. Who is the first male character mentioned in "Everyday Use?"
(b) Grandpa Jarrell.
(c) John Thomas.
(d) Johnny Carson.
10. What drives Jimmy T, a former suitor, away from Dee?
(a) She cheats on him.
(b) She isn't smart enough for him.
(c) She criticizes him too much.
(d) She isn't rich enough for him.
11. What is Hakim-a-barber's religion?
12. Who asks Ms. Johnson for the family's butter churn top?
(d) John Thomas.
13. What keeps Ms. Johnson hot in zero weather?
(a) Two warm quilts.
(b) Woolen longjohns.
(c) Her fat.
(d) A warm fire in her fireplace.
14. To whom does Ms. Johnson promise to give the quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
(d) Aunt Dicie.
15. Who does Maggie marry?
(b) The local preacher.
(c) John Thomas.
(d) One of her teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson kill with a sledge hammer one winter?
2. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
3. How does the Johnson's current home different from their previous home?
4. What kind of windows does the current Johnson home have?
5. After whom does Ms. Johnson name Dee?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)