|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rooms does the Johnsons' current house have?
2. What animal does Ms. Johnson describe as "soothing and slow?"
3. When Dee says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story, to whom is she referring?
(a) Herself and her mother.
(b) The entire Johnson family.
(c) African Americans.
(d) The Johnson sisters.
4. What does Dee want to match a green suit she makes from an old suit someone gives her mother?
(a) A green blouse.
(b) Black pumps.
(c) A hair barrette.
(d) A pair of earrings.
5. Why does Wangero want the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced rather than the substitute gift her mother offers her?
(a) They're handstitched & the others are machine-stitched.
(b) They're prettier.
(c) They're older.
(d) Grandma Dee pieced them.
6. In what is the Johnson home located?
(a) A former Revolutionary War battlefield.
(b) A pasture.
(c) A former Civil War battlefield.
(d) A big Augusta, Georgia subdivision.
7. Who hates the current Johnson house as well as the old Johnson house?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(b) Ms. Johnson.
(d) Aunt Dicie.
8. What color is Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
(a) Light yellow.
(d) Dark brown.
9. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) Make butter in it.
(b) Hang it on her wall.
(c) Make it the centerpiece for her alcove table.
(d) Use it as a flower vase.
10. What trait does Ms. Johnson possess in her dreams that the Johnsons don't have in real life?
(a) A quick tongue.
11. What happens to the Johnson's previous house ten to twelve years before the events in "Everyday Use"?
(a) Termites and rats infest it.
(b) It burns to the ground.
(c) The bank repossesses it.
(d) A tornado devastates it.
12. What does Ms. Johnson believe Maggie thinks her portion from God is?
(a) To be loveless and alone.
(b) To suffer ill health.
(c) To prosper and live in abundance.
(d) To do without while Wangero prospers.
13. Which character in "Everyday Use" has burn scars?
(b) Grandma Dee.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
14. What does Ms. Johnson ask Maggie to bring her at the end of the story?
(a) A quilt from the trunk.
(b) A needle and thread to begin another quilt.
(c) Another plate of dinner.
(d) A dip of snuff.
15. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," how does Ms. Johnson think Maggie will feel during Dee's visit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What unpleasant truth does Ms. Johnson say Maggie realizes about herself?
2. Which character in "Everyday Use" has no education?
3. What does Ms. Johnson do in church when the spirit of God touches her?
4. What sounds does Ms. Johnson hear when Wangero asks if she can have the quilts?
5. Once Maggie weds, what is Ms. Johnson free to sit in her yard and do?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)