|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many sons does Ms. Johnson have?
2. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, on what television program are she and Dee brought together?
(b) David Letterman.
(c) Johnny Carson.
(d) Jerry Springer.
3. To what group of people does Ms. Johnson ask Hakim-a-barber if he belongs?
(a) Sheep farmers down the road.
(b) Her Muslim neighbors who raise cattle.
(c) Muslim extremists in Augusta.
(d) A group of local artisans.
4. Who puts on a pair of sunglasses at the end of "Everyday Use"?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
5. What noises tell Ms. Johnson someone is standing outside the room in which she and Wangero are?
(a) The radio comes on.
(b) The television set comes on.
(c) Maggies footsteps.
(d) Maggie's breathing.
6. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
(c) Maggie's wedding to John Thomas.
(d) Maggie's birthday.
7. Who asks Ms. Johnson for the butter churn dasher?
(c) John Thomas.
8. What does the person who wants the butter churn dash tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) She will donate it to a museum.
(b) Something artistic that she hasn't yet determined.
(c) She will churn butter in it.
(d) She will use it as a flower vase.
9. What kind of jewelry does Dee wear for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(a) Gold earrings and bracelets.
(b) Pear earrings.
(c) A ruby pendant.
(d) A silver wristwatch.
10. What color is the dress Dee wears for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(c) Orange and yellow.
(d) Black and white plaid.
11. What does Ms. Johnson notice in the wood of the dasher?
(a) Scuff marks.
(b) Termite holes.
(c) Sink marks from thumbs & fingers touching the wood.
12. How does the man who emerges from the car with Dee wear his hair?
(b) In cornrows.
(c) He shaves his head.
13. Which member of the Johnson family always criticizes the others?
(b) Grandma Dee.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
14. When their school closes after the second grade, why don't the local Blacks protest?
(a) They fear violent repercussions.
(b) Their children are needed on the farm instead of in school.
(c) In 1927 they ask fewer questions than they do now.
(d) There is little community support for reopening it.
15. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) Use it as a flower vase.
(b) Make it the centerpiece for her alcove table.
(c) Make butter in it.
(d) Hang it on her wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. After whom does Ms. Johnson name Dee?
2. How does Dee greet her mother and sister?
3. What kind of soil comprises Ms. Johnson's yard?
4. What does Ms. Johnson think Dee's companion does for a living because of his name?
5. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)