|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wangero want the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced rather than the substitute gift her mother offers her?
(a) Grandma Dee pieced them.
(b) They're older.
(c) They're handstitched & the others are machine-stitched.
(d) They're prettier.
2. Who is the antagonist in "Everyday Use?"
(b) Ms. Johnson.
(d) John Thomas.
3. Which member of the Johnson family always criticizes the others?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(c) Grandma Dee.
4. How does Dee look in comparison to Maggie?
(a) She's taller and fatter.
(b) She's shorter and has more warts.
(c) She's lighter in complexion with nicer hair and a fuller figure.
(d) She's more freckled and wears thicker glasses.
5. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
(a) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(b) Uncle Henry.
(c) Uncle Buddy.
(d) Grandpa Jarrell.
6. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
7. What scraps of Grandpa Jarrell's clothes are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of his overalls.
(b) Pieces of his woolen longjohns.
(c) Pieces of his flannel shirts.
(d) Pieces of his Paisley shirts.
8. What noises tell Ms. Johnson someone is standing outside the room in which she and Wangero are?
(a) Maggies footsteps.
(b) The radio comes on.
(c) The television set comes on.
(d) Maggie's breathing.
9. In what point of view is "Everyday Use" told?
(a) Third person limited.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) Second person.
10. How many rooms did the Johnsons' previous house have?
11. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear to bed?
(a) Men's pajamas.
(b) Flannel nightgowns.
(d) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
12. What one thing does the person taking the Polaroids make sure is always included in each picture?
(a) The Johnson house.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
13. Who is the narrator of "Everyday Use?"
(b) John Thomas.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
14. To what does Wangero compare Maggie's brain when Maggie tells Hakim-a-barber who whittled the churn dash?
(a) An elephant's brain.
(b) A piece of straw.
(c) A canteloupe.
(d) A pea.
15. What does Dee's companion do for a living?
(a) He is a college professor.
(b) He is a physician.
(c) He is a politician.
(d) The story does not reveal this information.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of jobs has Ms. Johnson always done well?
2. What hairstyle is Dee wearing when she arrives at her family's home?
3. With what has Ms. Johnson primarily been concerned all her life?
4. Which of the following statements is not true about what happens on the television talk shows that inspire Ms. Johnson's dreams?
5. What kind of windows does the current Johnson home have?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)