|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character in "Everyday Use" has burn scars?
(c) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
2. How did Ms. Johnson used to think Dee felt about Maggie?
(a) That Dee hated Maggie.
(b) That Dee was jealous of Maggie.
(c) That Dee adored Maggie.
(d) That Dee considered Maggie an embarrassment.
3. What does Ms. Johnson call Dee's companion in her thoughts?
(a) The barber.
(c) The Muslim.
4. Who learns to quilt from Grandma Dee and Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(c) Ms. Johnson.
5. Who is the protagonist in "Everyday Use?"
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
6. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
(a) A cotton housedress.
(d) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
7. On what occasion has Ms. Johnson offered Dee a quilt in the past?
(a) Dee's eighteenth birthday.
(b) The previous Christmas.
(c) When Dee left for college.
(d) Dee's high school graduation.
8. Which character in "Everyday Use" refuses to eat collard greens and considers pork unclean?
(c) Grandma Dee.
9. What scraps of Grandpa Jarrell's clothes are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of his woolen longjohns.
(b) Pieces of his overalls.
(c) Pieces of his flannel shirts.
(d) Pieces of his Paisley shirts.
10. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
11. What scraps of Grandma Dee's clothing are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of her old pillow cases.
(b) Pieces of dresses Grandma Dee wore over 50 years ago.
(c) Pieces of her old aprons.
(d) Pieces of her old flannel nightgowns.
12. When their school closes after the second grade, why don't the local Blacks protest?
(a) Their children are needed on the farm instead of in school.
(b) In 1927 they ask fewer questions than they do now.
(c) There is little community support for reopening it.
(d) They fear violent repercussions.
13. What does Ms. Johnson kill with a sledge hammer one winter?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A hog.
(c) A bull calf.
(d) A rat.
14. Who takes Polaroids of the Johnson family reunion?
(a) Mrs. Johnson.
15. When Dee says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story, to whom is she referring?
(a) Herself and her mother.
(b) The entire Johnson family.
(c) African Americans.
(d) The Johnson sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dee respond when her mother asks her what happened to Dee?
2. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
3. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
4. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dash to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
5. Who keeps trying to shake Maggie's hand at the reunion?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)