|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one thing does the person taking the Polaroids make sure is always included in each picture?
(b) The Johnson house.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
2. How does Hakim-a-barber feel about the group of people to which Ms. Johnson asks if he belongs?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He shares their doctrines, but doesn't farm or raise cattle.
(c) He disagrees with their doctrines.
(d) He considers them allies.
3. How does Dee greet her mother and sister?
(a) With a hearty hello.
(b) With a kiss.
(c) With a hug.
(d) With an Arabic greeting.
4. Who is the first male character mentioned in "Everyday Use?"
(b) Johnny Carson.
(c) Grandpa Jarrell.
(d) John Thomas.
5. What does Ms. Johnson do in church when the spirit of God touches her?
(a) She reads aloud from her Bible.
(b) She gives a sermon.
(c) She gets happy and shouts.
(d) She prays aloud.
6. Which of the following characters are mentioned in "Everyday Use" but do not actually appear on stage?
(a) Hakim-a-barber and Wangero.
(b) Maggie and John Thomas.
(c) Great Grandpa Ezra, John Thomas, and Hakim-a-barber.
(d) Grandma Dee, Aunt Dicie, and Grandpa Jarrell.
7. In the story's first paragraph, to which room of the house does Ms. Johnson compare her yard, saying it's an extension of that room?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The living room.
8. What keeps Ms. Johnson hot in zero weather?
(a) Woolen longjohns.
(b) Her fat.
(c) Two warm quilts.
(d) A warm fire in her fireplace.
9. What does Dee's companion do for a living?
(a) He is a politician.
(b) He is a college professor.
(c) He is a physician.
(d) The story does not reveal this information.
10. What does Wangero feel on the benches when she runs her hands along them?
(a) Chips in the wood.
(b) The smooth surface of the varnished wood.
(c) Rump prints.
11. During the winter, how does Ms. Johnson get water for washing?
(a) From her faucet.
(b) By breaking ice.
(c) From bottled water she buys at the store in town.
(d) From her farm's well.
12. Which Johnson women know how to quilt?
(a) Ms. Johnson, Wangero, and Grandma Dee.
(b) Maggie, Ms. Johnson, Wangero and Aunt Dicie.
(c) Everyone but Wangero.
(d) Maggie, Grandma Dee and Wangero.
13. Who overhears Wangero and Ms. Johnson discussing the quilts?
(b) Grandpa Jarrell.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
14. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
(b) Maggie's wedding to John Thomas.
(c) Maggie's birthday.
15. What does Ms. Johnson call Dee's companion in her thoughts?
(a) The barber.
(d) The Muslim.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dee's male companion greet Ms. Johnson and Maggie?
2. Which character in "Everyday Use" always walks with her eyes on the ground and her chin on her chest?
3. What does Ms. Johnson say could be done if the quilts do become rags in five years?
4. How long is Dee's dress when she exits the car?
5. Why do the Johnsons have dining benches instead of dining chairs?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)