|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's thin with a light complexion and glistening hair.
(b) She's tall and plump with a gray Afro.
(c) She's tall and dark with lots of jewels and furs.
(d) She's short and dark with glasses and white hair.
2. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
3. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, on what television program are she and Dee brought together?
(b) David Letterman.
(c) Johnny Carson.
(d) Jerry Springer.
4. Who escapes unharmed from the tragedy that befell the old Johnson house?
(a) Dee and Ms. Johnson.
(b) John Thomas.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
5. Which Johnson women know how to quilt?
(a) Ms. Johnson, Wangero, and Grandma Dee.
(b) Everyone but Wangero.
(c) Maggie, Ms. Johnson, Wangero and Aunt Dicie.
(d) Maggie, Grandma Dee and Wangero.
6. Who wraps Ms. Johnson's dasher right there at the dinner table?
(b) Ms. Johnson.
7. What color is the dress Dee wears for her reunion with her mother and sister?
(a) Orange and yellow.
(b) Black and white plaid.
8. What looks like a mule tail to Ms. Johnson when she sees Dee's male companion?
(a) The man's mustache.
(b) The man's ponytail.
(c) The hair hanging from the man's chin.
(d) The man's braid.
9. Which of the following statements is not true about what happens on the television talk shows that inspire Ms. Johnson's dreams?
(a) The children and parents embrace and smile and cry.
(b) Unsuccessful children greet their unhappy parents.
(c) The children thank the parents for helping them succeed.
(d) Children who have made it are surprised by their parents.
10. Why advantage does Ms. Johnson think her substitute gift has over the quilts Wangero wants?
(a) Machine-stitched quilts will last longer than hand-stitched.
(b) Her other quilts are made of warmer fabrics.
(c) Her other quilts are newer.
(d) Her other quilts are prettier.
11. Who hangs in the kitchen doing dishes after the Johnsons' reunion dinner?
(d) John Thomas.
12. Where does "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker take place?
(a) Rural Ohio.
(b) Rural Georgia, near Augusta.
(d) New York City.
13. What does Ms. Johnson think that Dee had at age sixteen?
(a) A great singing voice.
(b) A great speaking voice.
(c) Artistic talent.
(d) A style of her own.
14. From where does the wood that gives Ms. Johnson's dasher its color come?
(a) The woods behind Grandma Dee's house.
(d) A tree that grew in the yard where Big Dee and Stash lived.
15. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
(a) She shakes hands heartily.
(b) She keeps trying to pull her limp, sweating hand back.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She screams.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what point of view is "Everyday Use" told?
2. What color is Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
3. How does the man who emerges from the car with Dee wear his hair?
4. Who is the first male character to appear onstage in "Everyday Use?"
5. What is the first thing out of the car upon Dee's arrival that identifies Dee to Ms. Johnson?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)