|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comes over Ms. Johnson at the end of the story when she sees Maggie looking at Wangero with fear?
(a) A great joy.
(b) A great anger.
(c) A spiritual energy like one she sometimes feels in church.
(d) A great sorrow.
2. What kind of soil comprises Ms. Johnson's yard?
(a) Hard clay.
(b) Red earth.
(c) Rich, dark brown earth.
(d) Dry, dusty soil.
3. How does Maggie react when Dee's companion moves forward to hug her?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She backs away, trembling and perspiring.
(c) She rushes forward to hug him first.
(d) She screams.
4. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
(b) John Thomas.
5. How many Johnson women are Dee?
6. What does Wangero tell Maggie to do at the end of the story?
(a) Try to make something of herself.
(b) Buy more stylish clothing.
(c) Give up the hand-stitched quilts.
(d) Get married.
7. How does Ms. Johnson describe the man who emerges from the car with Dee?
(a) Tall and fat.
(b) Short and stocky with hair all over his head and chin.
(c) Tall and thin with a big mustache.
(d) Short and thin with big glasses.
8. Who is the first male character mentioned in "Everyday Use?"
(a) Johnny Carson.
(b) Grandpa Jarrell.
(c) John Thomas.
9. What do Ms. Johnson and Maggie do after Wangero and her boyfriend leave?
(a) Gossip about Wangero.
(b) Eat dessert.
(c) Sit in the yard enjoying themselves until bedtime.
(d) Start a new quilt.
10. What happens to Ms. Johnson in 1949?
(a) She gets hooked in the side by a cow.
(b) She is in a car wreck.
(c) She contracts polio.
(d) She has a heart attack.
11. How far back can Ms. Johnson trace her family tree?
(a) To the Civil War.
(b) To her grandmother.
(c) Beyond the Civil War.
(d) To her great-grandmother.
12. What color is Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
(c) Light yellow.
(d) Dark brown.
13. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's thin with a light complexion and glistening hair.
(b) She's short and dark with glasses and white hair.
(c) She's tall and dark with lots of jewels and furs.
(d) She's tall and plump with a gray Afro.
14. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(b) Aunt Dicie.
15. Who is the narrator of "Everyday Use?"
(a) John Thomas.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hakim-a-barber feel about the group of people to which Ms. Johnson asks if he belongs?
2. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
3. Which Johnson family member possesses the most self confidence?
4. What has Ms. Johnson done to her yard at the beginning of the story?
5. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)