|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character in "Everyday Use" always walks with her eyes on the ground and her chin on her chest?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(b) Uncle Buddy.
2. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
(a) She will abide by Wangero's wishes & use the new name.
(b) It insults the family heritage of women named Dee.
(c) It is an ugly name.
(d) It is a name she will never prounounce correctly.
3. What unpleasant truth does Ms. Johnson say Maggie realizes about herself?
(a) Hakim-a-barber will never prefer her to Dee.
(b) She will never be able to afford college.
(c) She is unemployable due to her lack of education.
(d) Good looks, money and intelligence have passed her by.
4. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, on what television program are she and Dee brought together?
(a) Johnny Carson.
(b) David Letterman.
(c) Jerry Springer.
5. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
6. What drives Jimmy T, a former suitor, away from Dee?
(a) She criticizes him too much.
(b) She isn't smart enough for him.
(c) She isn't rich enough for him.
(d) She cheats on him.
7. Who is the first male character mentioned in "Everyday Use?"
(b) Grandpa Jarrell.
(c) Johnny Carson.
(d) John Thomas.
8. What sounds does Ms. Johnson hear when Wangero asks if she can have the quilts?
(a) A door slamming and someone weeping.
(b) Something falling and the slam of the kitchen door.
(c) Glass breaking and someone cursing.
(d) Pots and pans banging in the kitchen.
9. How many children does Ms. Johnson have?
10. Why does Wangero want the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced rather than the substitute gift her mother offers her?
(a) Grandma Dee pieced them.
(b) They're handstitched & the others are machine-stitched.
(c) They're older.
(d) They're prettier.
11. What does the person who wants the butter churn top tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) Hang it on her wall.
(b) Make it the centerpiece for her alcove table.
(c) Make butter in it.
(d) Use it as a flower vase.
12. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
(a) White women.
(b) People with college degrees.
(c) White men.
(d) Black men.
13. What keeps Ms. Johnson hot in zero weather?
(a) Her fat.
(b) Woolen longjohns.
(c) Two warm quilts.
(d) A warm fire in her fireplace.
14. Who is the antagonist in "Everyday Use?"
(b) Ms. Johnson.
(c) John Thomas.
15. After dinner, who goes into Ms. Johnson's room and riffles through the trunk at the foot of Ms. Johnson's bed?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hakim-a-barber's religion?
2. Who says Wangero can have the quilts after Ms. Johnson says Wangero can't?
3. Whose name is twice as long and three times as hard as Wangero's in Ms. Johnson's opinion?
4. What kind of jewelry does Dee wear for her reunion with her mother and sister?
5. What does Ms. Johnson say could be done if the quilts do become rags in five years?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)