|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dash to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her father.
(b) He was her first husband.
(c) He was her uncle.
(d) He was her grandfather.
2. To what does Dee change her name?
(a) Ariella Candace Jones.
(b) Kenisha Jackson.
(c) Raelene Jordan.
(d) Wangero Leewanika Kemanjo.
3. How does Dee greet her mother and sister?
(a) With a kiss.
(b) With an Arabic greeting.
(c) With a hearty hello.
(d) With a hug.
4. What sound does Maggie make when she sees Dee's companion?
(a) A scream.
(b) A sob.
(d) A hearty laugh.
5. What kind of dress does Dee wear to her graduation?
(a) Yellow organdy.
(b) Red silk.
(c) Purple and white paisley.
(d) Blue gingham.
6. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
(a) An orchid.
(b) A ruby brooch.
(c) A rose.
(d) A sterling silver cross.
7. What does the person who wants the butter churn top slide over it as if trying to see how it will look in her own home?
(a) A dinner plate.
(b) A tablecloth.
(c) An arrangement of wildflowers.
(d) A dish towel.
8. Who is the first male character mentioned in "Everyday Use?"
(a) Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) John Thomas.
(d) Johnny Carson.
9. What is the socioeconomic status of Ms. Johnson in "Everyday Use?"
(a) She's poor.
(b) She's middle class.
(c) She's a slave.
(d) She's rich.
10. In what is the Johnson home located?
(a) A former Revolutionary War battlefield.
(b) A former Civil War battlefield.
(c) A big Augusta, Georgia subdivision.
(d) A pasture.
11. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," with whom is Ms. Johnson waiting in the yard?
(a) Her daughter, Maggie.
(c) Big Dee.
(d) Grandma Dee.
12. What is Ms. Johnson's marital state?
(b) The story never reveals this fact.
13. Who whittles Ms. Johnson's churn top?
(a) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(b) Grandpa Jarrell.
(c) Uncle Henry.
(d) Uncle Buddy.
14. What sounds does Ms. Johnson hear when Wangero asks if she can have the quilts?
(a) Pots and pans banging in the kitchen.
(b) Glass breaking and someone cursing.
(c) A door slamming and someone weeping.
(d) Something falling and the slam of the kitchen door.
15. How does Ms. Johnson describe the man who emerges from the car with Dee?
(a) Short and thin with big glasses.
(b) Short and stocky with hair all over his head and chin.
(c) Tall and thin with a big mustache.
(d) Tall and fat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson remember from the tragedy that befell her home ten to twelve years earlier?
2. Why advantage does Ms. Johnson think her substitute gift has over the quilts Wangero wants?
3. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
4. What does the person who wants the butter churn dash tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
5. What keeps Ms. Johnson hot in zero weather?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)