|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far back can Ms. Johnson trace her family tree?
(a) To her grandmother.
(b) To the Civil War.
(c) Beyond the Civil War.
(d) To her great-grandmother.
2. After dinner, who goes into Ms. Johnson's room and riffles through the trunk at the foot of Ms. Johnson's bed?
(d) Ms. Johnson.
3. What keeps Ms. Johnson hot in zero weather?
(a) Two warm quilts.
(b) A warm fire in her fireplace.
(c) Woolen longjohns.
(d) Her fat.
4. Who is Maggie's father?
(c) John Thomas.
(d) The story never reveals this fact.
5. How does Dee respond when her mother asks her what happened to Dee?
(a) She says Dee is wanted by the IRS.
(b) She says Hakim-a-barber hates the name Dee.
(c) She says Dee is wanted by the police.
(d) She says Dee's dead.
6. What scraps of Grandpa Jarrell's clothes are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of his overalls.
(b) Pieces of his woolen longjohns.
(c) Pieces of his flannel shirts.
(d) Pieces of his Paisley shirts.
7. How does Dee greet her mother and sister?
(a) With a kiss.
(b) With a hearty hello.
(c) With an Arabic greeting.
(d) With a hug.
8. How does Ms. Johnson describe Maggie's fiance?
(a) A tall man with thick glasses.
(b) A handsome man with a mustache.
(c) A man with mossy teeth in an earnest face.
(d) A short, fat man with dimples.
9. Who makes the sounds in the kitchen?
(b) Grandma Dee.
(d) Aunt Dicie.
10. In what patterns are the two quilts Wangero finds in the trunk sewn?
(a) The Dutch Doll and Drunkard's path patterns.
(b) The Drunkard's Path and Lone Star patterns.
(c) The Southern Belle and Dutch Doll patterns.
(d) The Lone Star and Walk Around the Mountain patterns.
11. What does the person who wants the butter churn top slide over it as if trying to see how it will look in her own home?
(a) A dish towel.
(b) An arrangement of wildflowers.
(c) A tablecloth.
(d) A dinner plate.
12. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her college professors.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her pastor.
13. What color is Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
(a) Light yellow.
(d) Dark brown.
14. Who does Maggie marry?
(a) John Thomas.
(b) One of her teachers.
(c) The local preacher.
15. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
(a) Maggie's birthday.
(d) Maggie's wedding to John Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the story, what quilts does Ms. Johnson tell Dee to take back to the city with her?
2. When Dee says "It's really a new day for us" at the end of the story, to whom is she referring?
3. What does Wangero find in her mother's trunk?
4. How does the Johnson's current home different from their previous home?
5. What does the person who wants the butter churn dash tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)