|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dee's relationship to Maggie?
(a) They're cousins.
(b) They're neighbors.
(c) They're sisters.
(d) They're friends.
2. How does Hakim-a-barber feel about the group of people to which Ms. Johnson asks if he belongs?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He shares their doctrines, but doesn't farm or raise cattle.
(c) He considers them allies.
(d) He disagrees with their doctrines.
3. Which character in "Everyday Use" delights in the chitlins and corn bread, greens and sweet potatoes Ms. Johnson serves for dinner during Dee's visit?
(c) John Thomas.
4. Which member of the Johnson family always criticizes the others?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(b) Grandma Dee.
5. When Ms. Johnson offers Dee a quilt in the past, what is Dee's reaction?
(a) She doesn't want it because it is old-fashioned.
(b) She loves the idea, takes the quilt and asks for more.
(c) She wants to learn to quilt herself.
(d) She does't want it because it is too plain.
6. When Ms. Johnson snatches Grandma Dee's quilts from Wangero's hands, into whose hands does she place them?
(a) Aunt Dicie's.
(c) John Thomas's.
7. What trait does Ms. Johnson possess in her dreams that the Johnsons don't have in real life?
(d) A quick tongue.
8. What do Hakim-a-barber and Wangero not tell Ms. Johnson and what does she not ask them about?
(a) Whether they have bought a house together.
(b) Whether Dee/Wangero is pregnant.
(c) Whether Dee/Wangero is a Muslim now like Hakim-a-barber.
(d) Whether they are married.
9. After dinner, who goes into Ms. Johnson's room and riffles through the trunk at the foot of Ms. Johnson's bed?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
10. After whom does Ms. Johnson name Dee?
(a) A cousin.
(b) An old neighbor.
(c) Aunt Dicie, Ms. Johnson's sister and Dee's aunt.
(d) A good friend.
11. Whose name is twice as long and three times as hard as Wangero's in Ms. Johnson's opinion?
(a) Dee's college roommate.
(b) Dee's male companion.
(c) Dee's college professor.
(d) Dee's pastor.
12. Who overhears Wangero and Ms. Johnson discussing the quilts?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
(b) Grandpa Jarrell.
(d) Grandma Dee.
13. Why does Wangero want the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced rather than the substitute gift her mother offers her?
(a) They're handstitched & the others are machine-stitched.
(b) They're prettier.
(c) They're older.
(d) Grandma Dee pieced them.
14. What facial expression does Maggie have after her sister leaves?
(a) A frown.
(b) One of ire.
(c) A smile.
15. Where are the family's quilt frames kept?
(a) The back yard.
(b) The front yard.
(c) The front porch.
(d) The living room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dee's companion do for a living?
2. Why does Dee think the quilts will become rags in five years?
3. What does Ms. Johnson note is still in the butter churn during dinner?
4. Where does "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker take place?
5. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)