|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stands under a gum tree and observes from a safe distance while tragedy strikes the old Johnson house a decade earlier?
(c) John Thomas.
(d) Ms. Johnson.
2. What happens to Ms. Johnson in 1949?
(a) She contracts polio.
(b) She has a heart attack.
(c) She gets hooked in the side by a cow.
(d) She is in a car wreck.
3. How many Johnson women are Dee?
4. How does Ms. Johnson describe the man who emerges from the car with Dee?
(a) Tall and thin with a big mustache.
(b) Short and thin with big glasses.
(c) Tall and fat.
(d) Short and stocky with hair all over his head and chin.
5. How does Dee's male companion greet Ms. Johnson and Maggie?
(a) With a polite nod.
(b) With the Arabic greeting Asalamalakim.
(c) With a kiss on the cheek.
(d) With a handshake.
6. Which of the following is not in a Polaroid of the Johnson family reunion?
(c) Ms. Johnson.
(d) A cow.
7. What scraps of Grandma Dee's clothing are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of her old pillow cases.
(b) Pieces of her old flannel nightgowns.
(c) Pieces of her old aprons.
(d) Pieces of dresses Grandma Dee wore over 50 years ago.
8. What does the person who wants the butter churn dash tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
(a) She will churn butter in it.
(b) Something artistic that she hasn't yet determined.
(c) She will donate it to a museum.
(d) She will use it as a flower vase.
9. Who puts on a pair of sunglasses at the end of "Everyday Use"?
(d) Ms. Johnson.
10. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dash to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her uncle.
(b) He was her first husband.
(c) He was her grandfather.
(d) He was her father.
11. How is the weather when Dee comes to visit her family?
12. From where does the wood that gives Ms. Johnson's dasher its color come?
(b) A tree that grew in the yard where Big Dee and Stash lived.
(c) The woods behind Grandma Dee's house.
13. What kind of soil comprises Ms. Johnson's yard?
(a) Rich, dark brown earth.
(b) Hard clay.
(c) Dry, dusty soil.
(d) Red earth.
14. Which Johnson family member possesses the most self confidence?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(b) Grandpa Jarrell.
15. Whose hand closes over Grandma Dee's butter dish at dinner?
(d) Ms. Johnson's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does the Johnsons' current house have?
2. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
3. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," how does Ms. Johnson think Maggie will feel during Dee's visit?
4. When boys and girls hang around Dee in her youth, what does she do to entertain them?
5. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)