|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose hand closes over Grandma Dee's butter dish at dinner?
(a) Ms. Johnson's.
2. What kind of dress does Dee wear to her graduation?
(a) Blue gingham.
(b) Red silk.
(c) Purple and white paisley.
(d) Yellow organdy.
3. What does Dee's companion end up asking the family to call him?
4. What does Dee's companion do for a living?
(a) He is a physician.
(b) He is a politician.
(c) He is a college professor.
(d) The story does not reveal this information.
5. What sound does Maggie make when she sees Dee's companion?
(a) A hearty laugh.
(b) A sob.
(d) A scream.
6. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
(b) John Thomas.
7. When boys and girls hang around Dee in her youth, what does she do to entertain them?
(a) She plays hopskotch with them.
(b) She plays records for them.
(c) She reads to them.
(d) She sings to them.
8. Who takes Polaroids of the Johnson family reunion?
(c) Mrs. Johnson.
9. How does Dee's male companion greet Ms. Johnson and Maggie?
(a) With a kiss on the cheek.
(b) With a handshake.
(c) With a polite nod.
(d) With the Arabic greeting Asalamalakim.
10. Who wraps Ms. Johnson's dasher right there at the dinner table?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
11. What does Ms. Johnson note is still in the butter churn during dinner?
(a) Milk that has turned to clabber.
(c) A mouse.
(d) Grandma Dee's apron.
12. Who tells Ms. Johnson she doesn't understand her heritage?
(b) Aunt Dicie.
13. How does the Johnson's current home different from their previous home?
(a) It has a tin roof instead of a shingle roof.
(b) It has more land with it.
(c) It is larger.
(d) It is smaller.
14. What does Ms. Johnson remember from the tragedy that befell her home ten to twelve years earlier?
(a) The firemen working to put out the flames.
(b) Holding Maggie with her smoking hair and peeling dress.
(c) Dee's terror.
(d) How the neighbors helped with the tragedy.
15. What is Ms. Johnson's marital state?
(b) The story never reveals this fact.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does the Johnsons' current house have?
2. What does Ms. Johnson think Dee's companion does for a living because of his name?
3. To what does Wangero compare Maggie's brain when Maggie tells Hakim-a-barber who whittled the churn dash?
4. Which character in "Everyday Use" refuses to eat collard greens and considers pork unclean?
5. How far back can Ms. Johnson trace her family tree?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)