|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who hates the current Johnson house as well as the old Johnson house?
(a) Aunt Dicie.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
(d) Grandma Dee.
2. What does the person who wants the butter churn top slide over it as if trying to see how it will look in her own home?
(a) An arrangement of wildflowers.
(b) A dinner plate.
(c) A tablecloth.
(d) A dish towel.
3. Why does Dee change her name?
(a) Hakim-a-barber hates her real name.
(b) She is hiding from the law.
(c) She needs a more glamorous name to be an actress.
(d) So she won't have a white oppressor name.
4. How does the man who emerges from the car with Dee wear his hair?
(b) In cornrows.
(d) He shaves his head.
5. What does Ms. Johnson think that Dee had at age sixteen?
(a) A style of her own.
(b) Artistic talent.
(c) A great speaking voice.
(d) A great singing voice.
6. What sounds does Ms. Johnson hear when Wangero asks if she can have the quilts?
(a) Pots and pans banging in the kitchen.
(b) Glass breaking and someone cursing.
(c) A door slamming and someone weeping.
(d) Something falling and the slam of the kitchen door.
7. From where does the wood that gives Ms. Johnson's dasher its color come?
(c) A tree that grew in the yard where Big Dee and Stash lived.
(d) The woods behind Grandma Dee's house.
8. How many rooms does the Johnsons' current house have?
9. Who is Dee's father?
(a) Great Grandpa Ezra.
(b) Uncle Buddy.
(c) The story never reveals this fact.
(d) Grandpa Jarrell.
10. How does Dee greet her mother and sister?
(a) With a hug.
(b) With a hearty hello.
(c) With an Arabic greeting.
(d) With a kiss.
11. What facial expression does Maggie have after her sister leaves?
(a) A frown.
(b) One of ire.
(c) A smile.
12. Who in the Johnson family had the name Dee before Dee and the woman for whom Dee was named?
(a) A first cousin.
(b) A great aunt.
(c) Ms. Johnson's mother-in-law.
(d) Grandma Dee and her mother, Great Grandma Dee.
13. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's tall and plump with a gray Afro.
(b) She's short and dark with glasses and white hair.
(c) She's tall and dark with lots of jewels and furs.
(d) She's thin with a light complexion and glistening hair.
14. Who hangs in the kitchen doing dishes after the Johnsons' reunion dinner?
(d) John Thomas.
15. Who says Wangero can have the quilts after Ms. Johnson says Wangero can't?
(b) John Thomas.
(d) Grandpa Jarrell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the dining benches on which the Johnsons and Hakim-a-barber sit during dinner?
2. What does Dee's companion do for a living?
3. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dash to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
4. What does Ms. Johnson do in church when the spirit of God touches her?
5. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, on what television program are she and Dee brought together?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)