|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound does Maggie make when she sees Dee's companion?
(a) A scream.
(b) A sob.
(c) A hearty laugh.
2. Whose name is twice as long and three times as hard as Wangero's in Ms. Johnson's opinion?
(a) Dee's pastor.
(b) Dee's college roommate.
(c) Dee's male companion.
(d) Dee's college professor.
3. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," with whom is Ms. Johnson waiting in the yard?
(a) Big Dee.
(c) Her daughter, Maggie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
4. What trait does Ms. Johnson possess in her dreams that the Johnsons don't have in real life?
(b) A quick tongue.
5. How does Ms. Johnson describe Dee's feet?
(a) Big with hairy toes.
(b) Neat looking as if God shaped them with a certain style.
(c) Small and dainty.
(d) Perfectly pedicured.
6. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
(a) A sterling silver cross.
(b) A ruby brooch.
(c) An orchid.
(d) A rose.
7. Which character in "Everyday Use" doesn't read well due to poor eyesight?
(a) Ms. Johnson.
(c) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
8. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn top to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
(a) He was her brother.
(b) He was her grandfather.
(c) He was her second husband.
(d) He was her father.
9. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, on what television program are she and Dee brought together?
(a) Jerry Springer.
(b) David Letterman.
(d) Johnny Carson.
10. What color is Ms. Johnson's butter churn dasher?
(c) Dark brown.
(d) Light yellow.
11. What keeps Ms. Johnson hot in zero weather?
(a) A warm fire in her fireplace.
(b) Woolen longjohns.
(c) Her fat.
(d) Two warm quilts.
12. What happens to the Johnson's previous house ten to twelve years before the events in "Everyday Use"?
(a) It burns to the ground.
(b) Termites and rats infest it.
(c) A tornado devastates it.
(d) The bank repossesses it.
13. What does Dee want to match a green suit she makes from an old suit someone gives her mother?
(a) A hair barrette.
(b) A pair of earrings.
(c) A green blouse.
(d) Black pumps.
14. Who does Maggie marry?
(a) The local preacher.
(b) John Thomas.
(c) One of her teachers.
15. How does the Johnson's current home different from their previous home?
(a) It is smaller.
(b) It has a tin roof instead of a shingle roof.
(c) It has more land with it.
(d) It is larger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hangs in the kitchen doing dishes after the Johnsons' reunion dinner?
2. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," who does Ms. Johnson say will regard Dee with a mixture of envy and awe?
3. Whose hand closes over Grandma Dee's butter dish at dinner?
4. How many sons does Ms. Johnson have?
5. In the story's first paragraph, to which room of the house does Ms. Johnson compare her yard, saying it's an extension of that room?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)