|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ms. Johnson kill with a sledge hammer one winter?
(a) A bull calf.
(b) A hog.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A rat.
2. What does Maggie wear for Dee's arrival in "Everyday Use"?
(a) Blue jeans and a white blouse.
(b) A mini skirt.
(c) A pink skirt and red blouse.
3. How does Ms. Johnson feel about Wangero's new name?
(a) It is an ugly name.
(b) It is a name she will never prounounce correctly.
(c) She will abide by Wangero's wishes & use the new name.
(d) It insults the family heritage of women named Dee.
4. How does Ms. Johnson describe Dee's feet?
(a) Perfectly pedicured.
(b) Small and dainty.
(c) Neat looking as if God shaped them with a certain style.
(d) Big with hairy toes.
5. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
6. What unpleasant truth does Ms. Johnson say Maggie realizes about herself?
(a) She is unemployable due to her lack of education.
(b) Good looks, money and intelligence have passed her by.
(c) Hakim-a-barber will never prefer her to Dee.
(d) She will never be able to afford college.
7. How does Dee look in comparison to Maggie?
(a) She's shorter and has more warts.
(b) She's more freckled and wears thicker glasses.
(c) She's taller and fatter.
(d) She's lighter in complexion with nicer hair and a fuller figure.
8. What scraps of Grandpa Jarrell's clothes are in the quilts?
(a) Pieces of his woolen longjohns.
(b) Pieces of his flannel shirts.
(c) Pieces of his overalls.
(d) Pieces of his Paisley shirts.
9. In Ms. Johnson's dreams, what does Dee pin on her dress on the television program?
(a) A sterling silver cross.
(b) An orchid.
(c) A ruby brooch.
(d) A rose.
10. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
(a) A cotton housedress.
(d) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
11. Who takes Polaroids of the Johnson family reunion?
(b) Mrs. Johnson.
12. Which character in "Everyday Use" goes to school in Augusta on money Ms. Johnson and her church raise?
(c) John Thomas.
13. When Ms. Johnson snatches the quilts from Wangero's hands, who sits on the bed with her mouth open in shock?
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(c) Grandma Dee.
14. Which Johnson women know how to quilt?
(a) Ms. Johnson, Wangero, and Grandma Dee.
(b) Maggie, Grandma Dee and Wangero.
(c) Everyone but Wangero.
(d) Maggie, Ms. Johnson, Wangero and Aunt Dicie.
15. When Ms. Johnson offers Dee a quilt in the past, what is Dee's reaction?
(a) She wants to learn to quilt herself.
(b) She doesn't want it because it is old-fashioned.
(c) She does't want it because it is too plain.
(d) She loves the idea, takes the quilt and asks for more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship of the person who whittles Ms. Johnson's butter churn dash to Aunt Dicie/Big Dee?
2. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
3. What keeps Ms. Johnson hot in zero weather?
4. What does the person who wants the butter churn dash tell Ms. Johnson she will do with it?
5. At the beginning of "Everyday Use," what kind of tree does Ms. Johnson say she likes to sit outside and look up into while enjoying the breeze?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)