|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the television show in her dreams, what does Ms. Johnson look like?
(a) She's short and dark with glasses and white hair.
(b) She's tall and dark with lots of jewels and furs.
(c) She's thin with a light complexion and glistening hair.
(d) She's tall and plump with a gray Afro.
2. During the winter, what does Ms. Johnson wear during the day?
(c) A cotton housedress.
(d) Blue jeans and a flannel shirt.
3. In what is the Johnson home located?
(a) A big Augusta, Georgia subdivision.
(b) A pasture.
(c) A former Civil War battlefield.
(d) A former Revolutionary War battlefield.
4. From where does the wood that gives Ms. Johnson's dasher its color come?
(b) The woods behind Grandma Dee's house.
(d) A tree that grew in the yard where Big Dee and Stash lived.
5. To what does Wangero compare Maggie's brain when Maggie tells Hakim-a-barber who whittled the churn dash?
(a) A piece of straw.
(b) A pea.
(c) An elephant's brain.
(d) A canteloupe.
6. What does Dee want to match a green suit she makes from an old suit someone gives her mother?
(a) A green blouse.
(b) A hair barrette.
(c) Black pumps.
(d) A pair of earrings.
7. How does Maggie respond to the attempts to shake her hand?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She shakes hands heartily.
(c) She keeps trying to pull her limp, sweating hand back.
(d) She screams.
8. What drives Jimmy T, a former suitor, away from Dee?
(a) She cheats on him.
(b) She isn't rich enough for him.
(c) She isn't smart enough for him.
(d) She criticizes him too much.
9. Which member of the Johnson family always criticizes the others?
(a) Grandma Dee.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
10. Who hangs in the kitchen doing dishes after the Johnsons' reunion dinner?
(b) John Thomas.
11. How does Dee look in comparison to Maggie?
(a) She's more freckled and wears thicker glasses.
(b) She's shorter and has more warts.
(c) She's taller and fatter.
(d) She's lighter in complexion with nicer hair and a fuller figure.
12. Why does Dee think the quilts will become rags in five years?
(a) They're old and fragile.
(b) Maggie's children will tear them.
(c) Maggie will use them and wear them out.
(d) Exposing them to air after storage in the trunk will ruin them.
13. How many characters in "Everyday Use" own cars?
14. To whom does Ms. Johnson always talk "With one foot raised in flight" and her head turned in whatever direction is farthest from them?
(a) People with college degrees.
(b) Black men.
(c) White men.
(d) White women.
15. What happens to Ms. Johnson in 1949?
(a) She has a heart attack.
(b) She is in a car wreck.
(c) She gets hooked in the side by a cow.
(d) She contracts polio.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first male character to appear onstage in "Everyday Use?"
2. Who hates the current Johnson house as well as the old Johnson house?
3. What noises tell Ms. Johnson someone is standing outside the room in which she and Wangero are?
4. What does Ms. Johnson believe Maggie thinks her portion from God is?
5. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)