|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what occasion is Ms. Johnson going to give the quilts to the person to whom she has promised them?
(c) Maggie's wedding to John Thomas.
(d) Maggie's birthday.
2. What does Wangero feel on the benches when she runs her hands along them?
(b) Chips in the wood.
(c) Rump prints.
(d) The smooth surface of the varnished wood.
3. What does Ms. Johnson ask Maggie to bring her at the end of the story?
(a) A dip of snuff.
(b) A quilt from the trunk.
(c) A needle and thread to begin another quilt.
(d) Another plate of dinner.
4. Who in the Johnson family had the name Dee before Dee and the woman for whom Dee was named?
(a) A first cousin.
(b) Ms. Johnson's mother-in-law.
(c) Grandma Dee and her mother, Great Grandma Dee.
(d) A great aunt.
5. How does Dee's male companion greet Ms. Johnson and Maggie?
(a) With a handshake.
(b) With the Arabic greeting Asalamalakim.
(c) With a polite nod.
(d) With a kiss on the cheek.
6. Who overhears Wangero and Ms. Johnson discussing the quilts?
(a) Grandpa Jarrell.
(b) Aunt Dicie.
(d) Grandma Dee.
7. What is the first thing out of the car upon Dee's arrival that identifies Dee to Ms. Johnson?
(a) Her leg.
(b) Her arm.
(c) Her purse.
(d) Her head.
8. How does Dee respond when her mother asks her what happened to Dee?
(a) She says Dee's dead.
(b) She says Dee is wanted by the police.
(c) She says Dee is wanted by the IRS.
(d) She says Hakim-a-barber hates the name Dee.
9. What does Wangero tell Maggie to do at the end of the story?
(a) Buy more stylish clothing.
(b) Give up the hand-stitched quilts.
(c) Get married.
(d) Try to make something of herself.
10. Who claims to be able to remember Grandma Dee without the quilts?
(c) John Thomas.
11. For what does Ms. Johnson lose her taste as a result of what happens to her in 1949?
12. Who stands under a gum tree and observes from a safe distance while tragedy strikes the old Johnson house a decade earlier?
(a) John Thomas.
(c) Ms. Johnson.
13. How many rooms does the Johnsons' current house have?
14. How is the weather when Dee comes to visit her family?
15. Who does Dee say she will never bring to visit her family's home?
(a) Her pastor.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her college professors.
(d) Her friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scraps of Grandma Dee's clothing are in the quilts?
2. To what does Dee change her name?
3. How does Ms. Johnson describe Dee's feet?
4. What kind of jobs has Ms. Johnson always done well?
5. What does Ms. Johnson offer Wangero instead of the two quilts Grandma Dee pieced?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)