Short Essay Questions Key
1. In Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," who is the antagonist of the story and what identifies that character as the antagonist?
2. Who is the protagonist of "Everyday Use" and what identifies that character as the protagonist?
3. Which character in "Everyday Use" is a foil character and what helps identify that character as a foil character?
4. Describe John Thomas and his role in the story.
5. Although the exact setting of "Everyday Use" is never specified, what clues in the text indicate where the story takes place?
6. Why does Ms. Johnson's clean her yard prior to Dee's visit at the beginning of Alice Walker's "Everyday Use?"
7. Why doesn't Dee like the house in which her family lives?
8. Why does Dee change her name to Wangero in "Everyday Use?"
9. What information is revealed about Grandma Dee in "Everyday Use" even though she never appears onstage?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)