|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many letters does Richard write his father?
2. The type of ALS Richard has is called what?
3. When is the best time for Richard to record his voice?
(a) The afternoon.
(b) The evening.
(c) The morning.
(d) After every meal.
4. Despite being given many warning, what occurrence shocks Richard and Karina?
(a) Public reaction to Richard's diagnosis.
(b) The loss of Richard's legs.
(c) Grace failing out of school.
(d) The sale of Richard's condo.
5. Which of Karina's students sits in silence for nearly an entire lesson?
6. Who is Tommy?
(a) Richard's old piano teacher.
(b) One of Richard's brothers.
(c) Richard's father.
(d) Richard's manager.
7. What is Karina shocked to discover about the jazz pianist she sees in New Orleans?
(a) He is her age.
(b) He is not that good.
(c) He looks like Richard.
(d) He is not an emotional musician.
8. What does Richard consider to be sloppy and incomprehensible?
(a) The path of ALS.
(b) Jazz music.
(c) Grace's bedroom.
(d) His doctor's handwriting.
9. Following the Christmas holiday, Richard's voice has weakened so badly he can no longer use what?
(a) His Head Mouse.
(b) The voice-activation app on his phone.
(c) His feeding tube.
(d) His remote control.
10. What song do Bill and Karina perform together?
(a) You Are My Sunshine.
(b) What a Wonderful World.
(d) Somewhere over the Rainbow.
11. What does Richard eat for dinner on Christmas Eve?
(a) Mashed potatoes.
(b) A milkshake.
(d) Scrambled eggs.
12. What lift will help Karina move Richard in and out of bed?
(a) A transport chair.
(b) A Hoyer lift.
(c) An extrication device.
(d) A stretcher.
13. What two emotions kept Richard from telling Grace about his ALS?
(a) Stress and anxiety.
(b) Hope and pride.
(c) Consideration and denial.
(d) Love and fear.
14. Richard remembers his mother stopping his father from taking what to the piano?
(a) A bat.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A chainsaw.
(d) A golf club.
15. Now that she is divorced and Grace is grown, what does Karina realize about her life while watching the jazz pianist?
(a) That she can retire.
(b) That all of her excuses are gone.
(c) That she needs to teach more.
(d) That should go back to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. The results of the breathing study explain why Richard is always in what state?
2. After finding Richard writing to his father, Karina thinks Richard is what?
3. On what street does Karina watch the jazz pianist in New Orleans?
4. What does Richard try to tell Karina in Chapter Sixteen, but she cannot hear him?
5. After the funeral, what do Richard's brothers tell him about their childhood?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)