|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Prologue to the novel, where is Richard playing?
(a) New York.
(b) Los Angeles.
2. What idea does Richard have in the Chapter Eleven?
(a) He wants to go for a walk.
(b) He wants to try physical therapy.
(c) He wants to call his daughter.
(d) He wants to visit his father.
3. As the audience applauds in the Prologue to the novel, how does Richard feel?
(a) Like he is full of hope.
(b) Like he is about to cry.
(c) Like he is loved by everyone and no one.
(d) Like he is on top of the world.
4. Which childhood friend changed Karina's thoughts about childhood?
5. Whom does Richard's iPhone actually call at the end of Chapter Twelve?
6. Whom does Richard attempt to call at the end of Chapter Twelve?
(c) Caring Health.
7. When Karina visits Richard in the third chapter, he compares her palate to what?
(a) That of a farm animal.
(b) That of a country girl.
(c) That of an old woman.
(d) That of a child.
8. When Richard decides to return home after sitting on the bench, what happens?
(a) He cannot remember how to get home.
(b) He meets an old friend.
(c) His laxative kicks in.
(d) He cannot move his leg.
9. When Karina visits Richard in the ninth chapter, she barely notices what outside?
(a) A motorized lift.
(b) A "For Sale" sign.
(c) A wheelchair ramp.
(d) Boxes of Richard's belongings.
10. What does Bill add to Richard's milkshake in Chapter Eleven?
(a) A laxative to ease his constipation.
(b) Medicine to thicken the blood.
(c) A sedative to ease his anxiety.
(d) Medicine to ease muscle rigidity.
11. What information does Elise tell Karina about Richard during their morning walk in Chapter Eight?
(a) That Richard has pneumonia.
(b) That Richard is now in a wheelchair.
(c) That both of his arms are totally paralyzed.
(d) That Richard is losing his home.
12. What does Karina believe had the greatest impact on her destiny?
(a) The location of her birth.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her choice of career.
(d) Her marriage partner.
13. Richard realizes that his experience with his father mirrors what situation?
(a) Richard's relationship with his mother.
(b) Richard's relationship with Karina.
(c) Richard's relationship with the piano.
(d) Richard's relationship with Grace.
14. It occurs to Richard that saying goodbye to his ex-girlfriend was the last time he would ever do what?
(a) It was the last time he would ever date another person.
(b) It was the last time he would ever hug another person.
(c) It was the last time he would ever care about another person.
(d) It was the last time he would ever love another person.
15. What did Richard's father value when Richard was younger?
(b) Athletic achievement.
(c) Good grades.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Karina visits Richard in the third chapter, how does the visit end?
2. In the Prologue to the novel, Richard is playing a piece by which composer?
3. As Richard is lying in bed at the beginning of the sixth chapter, what is he practicing?
4. In the first chapter of the novel, Karina attends a graduation party for whom?
5. Richard feels that having ALS is a practice in what art?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)