|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sissy leaves a bouquet of what type of flowers on Betty's porch in Chapter 12?
2. What chemical does Dolores tell the women in the class is in Dew spray mist in Chapter 44?
3. Up and down which avenue does Sissy hitchhike in Chapter 13?
4. The author writes that the Eisenhower years and the fifties went together like what?
5. When was the amoeba discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Countess react to the meeting of Sissy and Julian in Part Two? What does he tell Julian about Sissy?
2. What do the cowgirls tell Sissy about the Chink in Part Three?
3. What is Julian's reaction when Sissy contacts him in Part Three? What actions does this prompt Sissy to take?
4. What does Miss Adrian tell Sissy of the problems on the ranch after her arrival in Part Three?
5. What does Jellybean tell Sissy of the other cowgirls' backgrounds in Part Three?
6. What is the first memory that Sissy has as a child? How did this affect her choices in life?
7. How does Julian finally reach Sissy in Chapter 28? What does he tell her?
8. How does the Countess react to the cowgirls' accusations in Part Three? What conflict takes place?
9. What does Sissy think of her first experiences hitchhiking? Why?
10. Describe the marriage of Sissy and Julian. What compromises are in place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the protagonist of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. How old is she? What are her distinguishing characteristics? What actions does she take through the novel? Define protagonist in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connection between Sissy's love of hitchhiking and the theme of personal freedom and independence. How does the author validate Sissy's self-endangerment in hitchhiking?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the major stylistic elements of Tom Robbins writing in Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. What are stylistic devices? What makes Robbins stand apart to you from other authors?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)