|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade did Sissy get in home economics in school?
2. Who does Robbins write wed a girl with a physical defect in Chapter 30?
3. The author writes that the Eisenhower years and the fifties went together like what?
4. For what plant does Bill work as a chemist in Chapter 12?
5. What is the outhouse radio playing in the beginning of Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Adrian tell Sissy of the problems on the ranch after her arrival in Part Three?
2. What is noteworthy about the Countess in regard to his view of women?
3. What does Bonanza Jellybean invite Sissy to crash with the cowgirls in Part Three? What takes place?
4. What is the first memory that Sissy has as a child? How did this affect her choices in life?
5. How does the Countess react to the meeting of Sissy and Julian in Part Two? What does he tell Julian about Sissy?
6. From where are gunshots heard on the ranch in Part Three? What has taken place?
7. When does Sissy first hear from the Countess in the novel? Why does he contact her?
8. What history of the area does Mrs. Schrieber give Sissy in Chapter 32?
9. Describe the character of Sissy Hawshank and what makes her character stand out amongst the others in Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.
10. Why does Sissy stay with Julian at his apartment in Chapter 26? Why does she leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of gender equality and women's empowerment in the novel. How does Robbins illustrate this theme through symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the major stylistic elements of Tom Robbins writing in Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. What are stylistic devices? What makes Robbins stand apart to you from other authors?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the philosophies of the Clock People and the Chink in Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. What does he impart regarding Eastern and Western thought?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)