|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 7 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fraudulently borrows a coach?
2. What happens while Evelina is at the health resort?
3. Whom does Evelina encounter while walking on the grounds of the health resort?
4. Circumstances bring Evelina and _______________together at Mrs. Beaumont’s.
5. Who intercepts Evelina’s letter to Lord Orville?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scheme do Madame Duval and the Branghtons carry out when they find out that Evelina has connections to Lord Orville?
2. How does Sir Clement Willoughby come to Evelina’s rescue?
3. What happens when Evelina returns to Berryhill after her visit to London?
4. Who are Evelina’s companions while visiting Madame Duval in London? How does Evelina feel about their companionship?
5. What does Rev. Villars suggest for Evelina to do so that her health will improve?
6. What does Evelina do when she finds out about the Branghtons’ shenanigans?
7. What are the circumstances under which Evelina saves Mr. Macartney?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madame Duval is introduced at the beginning of the book as Evelina’s grandmother, leading the reader to believe that she will be present throughout most of the book. Is the assumption correct? Explain with details.
Essay Topic 2
The story is written in epistolary form. What are the pros and cons of epistolary writing? How does it affect your enjoyment of Evelina?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of the story is the absurdity of social rules. Explore how the author develops this theme, particularly when Evelina commits a “social sin” at the ball.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)