|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 7 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fraudulently borrows a coach?
2. Who intercepts Evelina’s letter to Lord Orville?
3. Who rescues Evelina from her late night encounter with a group of men?
4. What does Evelina ask the recipient of her letter about Lord Orville’s presence at Mrs. Beaumont’s?
5. Who is one of Mrs. Beaumont’s friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Evelina’s companions while visiting Madame Duval in London? How does Evelina feel about their companionship?
2. What does Rev. Villars suggest for Evelina to do so that her health will improve?
3. What are the circumstances under which Evelina saves Mr. Macartney?
4. What happens when Evelina returns to Berryhill after her visit to London?
5. What scheme do Madame Duval and the Branghtons carry out when they find out that Evelina has connections to Lord Orville?
6. How does Sir Clement Willoughby come to Evelina’s rescue?
7. What does Evelina do when she finds out about the Branghtons’ shenanigans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, Sir John Belmont devises a plan to ensure no one, himself included, will lose face. What plan does Belmont devise? In your opinion, who benefits most from this plan? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Reverend Villars is not Evelina’s biological father, but she reveres him as such. Examine her reasons for looking upon him as her father.
Essay Topic 3
Compare / contrast the characters of Sir Clement Willoughby and Captain Mirvan. What is the same about their characters? What is different? Is there anything surprising / unexpected in this comparison? Explain.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)