|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 7 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Macartney?
2. What does Mr. Macartney have in his hand when Evelina finds him in his room?
3. When Evelina talks to Lord Orville once again, what does she notice about him?
4. Who is Lady Louisa Larpent the sister of?
5. Who goes with Evelina to the health resort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances under which Evelina saves Mr. Macartney?
2. What does Rev. Villars suggest for Evelina to do so that her health will improve?
3. How does Sir Clement Willoughby come to Evelina’s rescue?
4. Who are Evelina’s companions while visiting Madame Duval in London? How does Evelina feel about their companionship?
5. What happens when Evelina returns to Berryhill after her visit to London?
6. What does Evelina do when she finds out about the Branghtons’ shenanigans?
7. What scheme do Madame Duval and the Branghtons carry out when they find out that Evelina has connections to Lord Orville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sir John Belmont is a victim of Dame Green’s act. How does the revelation of Dame Green’s action, particularly in regard to “Lady Belmont” affect the way he is viewed by society and by the reader?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Sir John Belmont devises a plan to ensure no one, himself included, will lose face. What plan does Belmont devise? In your opinion, who benefits most from this plan? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Evelina wants to spare Rev. Villars from pain. Explore examples from her letters that share her wish to protect him.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)