|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 7 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the health resort that Evelina visits?
2. Who goes with Evelina to the health resort?
3. What happens to Evelina because of her depression?
4. To whom does Evelina write about Lord Orville’s presence at Mrs. Beaumont’s?
5. Who plans on visiting Mrs. Beaumont’s house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Evelina returns to Berryhill after her visit to London?
2. What are the circumstances under which Evelina saves Mr. Macartney?
3. Who are Evelina’s companions while visiting Madame Duval in London? How does Evelina feel about their companionship?
4. What does Rev. Villars suggest for Evelina to do so that her health will improve?
5. How does Sir Clement Willoughby come to Evelina’s rescue?
6. What scheme do Madame Duval and the Branghtons carry out when they find out that Evelina has connections to Lord Orville?
7. What does Evelina do when she finds out about the Branghtons’ shenanigans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lord Orville is “a man among men.” Explain what this means in terms of Lord Orville’s behavior and treatment of Evelina. How does his kindness extend to Reverend Villars?
Essay Topic 2
The story is written in epistolary form. What are the pros and cons of epistolary writing? How does it affect your enjoyment of Evelina?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Beauchamp is a social climber. Compare her technique for hobnobbing with the elite to Madame Duval’s scheme.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)