|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 7 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Evelina talks to Lord Orville once again, what does she notice about him?
2. Why was the comment made about Lord Orville being “designed for the last age”?
3. Whom is Evelina unable to talk to about her heartbreak over “Lord Orville’s” letter?
4. What about Lord Orville does Evelina struggle to get out of her thoughts?
5. Who is Mr. Macartney?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Evelina do when she finds out about the Branghtons’ shenanigans?
2. What scheme do Madame Duval and the Branghtons carry out when they find out that Evelina has connections to Lord Orville?
3. What happens when Evelina returns to Berryhill after her visit to London?
4. What are the circumstances under which Evelina saves Mr. Macartney?
5. How does Sir Clement Willoughby come to Evelina’s rescue?
6. What does Rev. Villars suggest for Evelina to do so that her health will improve?
7. Who are Evelina’s companions while visiting Madame Duval in London? How does Evelina feel about their companionship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why Burney considered to be a trailblazer in writing? How did she affect female writers who followed her? Who are some of the women writers who wrote works similar to Burney? Explain their contributions.
Essay Topic 2
Lord Orville is “a man among men.” Explain what this means in terms of Lord Orville’s behavior and treatment of Evelina. How does his kindness extend to Reverend Villars?
Essay Topic 3
Captain Mirvan is a man of rank, yet he behaves as a rogue. What actions does Captain Mirvan take that are incongruous with a man of rank? Explain in detail.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)