|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Evelina remain in London for a while instead of returning to Howard Grove?
2. Who is being detained in England?
3. What did the first man who asked Evelina to dance at the ball refer to her as?
4. Who came to Evelina’s defense when the foppish man makes fun of her at the ball?
5. In Letter VI, Anville is described as a __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character in Evelina has the same name as Burney’s maternal grandfather, according to the book’s biographical section?
2. What happens to make Evelina doubt treating Lord Orville so coldly?
3. How was Burney educated differently from her siblings?
4. What does Sir Belmont propose doing to help everyone save face?
5. What does Madame Duval Request of Rev. Villars?
6. What does Maria hear Lord Orville say about Evelina? What does Lord Orville say in defense of Evelina?
7. After both “daughters” are married, what does Sir Belmont plan to do?
8. What relationship does Mr. Macartney have with Evelina, if his claims are true?
9. What is Miss Belmont’s true identity?
10. Who convinced Frances not to have one of her plays performed? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burney has created realistic characters that encourage the reader to either love or hate them. Choose your favorite character and explore why you feel the way you do about them. Use text for support.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Sir John Belmont devises a plan to ensure no one, himself included, will lose face. What plan does Belmont devise? In your opinion, who benefits most from this plan? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Reverend Villars is not Evelina’s biological father, but she reveres him as such. Examine her reasons for looking upon him as her father.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)