|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Miss Evelyn die?
2. What does Evelina say in Letter XI about the men’s behavior at the ball?
3. What did the first man who asked Evelina to dance at the ball refer to her as?
4. Who is Mrs. Mirvan?
5. Who is Monsieur Du Bois?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader know that Evelina is changing her attitude towards Lord Orville?
2. What does Lady Howard convince Rev. Villars to give his permission for Evelina to do?
3. What does Madame Duval Request of Rev. Villars?
4. At the end of the story, what phrase does Evelina use to refer to Reverend Villars?
5. Whom does Reverend Villars wish to be at his side when he dies?
6. Who is intent on seeing that Sir Belmont recognizes Evelina as his own?
7. Who is the rejected suitor that becomes a pest at Howard Grove as he continues to pursue Evelina? With whom does this pest scheme to antagonize Madame Duval?
8. Who are Lady Louisa Larpent and her suitor?
9. What does Reverend Villars wish for Evelina’s death?
10. Which two authors were so impressed by Burney’s work that based their own writing on it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vivid imagery is important to a reader’s understanding and enjoyment of stories. Select at least 5 images from Evelina and explore their contribution to your understanding of the story’s deeper meaning.
Essay Topic 2
Madame Duval is introduced at the beginning of the book as Evelina’s grandmother, leading the reader to believe that she will be present throughout most of the book. Is the assumption correct? Explain with details.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of the story is the absurdity of social rules. Explore how the author develops this theme, particularly when Evelina commits a “social sin” at the ball.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)