|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What remark does Captain Mirvan make to his daughter Maria upon seeing her?
2. To whom is Letter V delivered?
3. By what name does Mr. Villars call his ward?
4. Whom did Miss Evelyn marry?
5. To whom is Letter I written?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Evelina react to Lord Orville’s polite gestures?
2. Who is the rejected suitor that becomes a pest at Howard Grove as he continues to pursue Evelina? With whom does this pest scheme to antagonize Madame Duval?
3. What does Reverend Villars wish for Evelina’s death?
4. Which character in Evelina has the same name as Burney’s maternal grandfather, according to the book’s biographical section?
5. What is ironic about the relationship between Mr. Macartney and Miss Belmont?
6. What are the circumstances of Evelina Anville’s birth?
7. Whom does Reverend Villars wish to be at his side when he dies?
8. What does Mrs. Selwyn do to bring about the resolution of the situation?
9. Who confesses to having intercepted Evelina’s letter to Lord Orville? What else does the person confess to having done concerning the letter?
10. How does Reverend Villars feel about Evelina’s marriage to Lord Orville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burney has created realistic characters that encourage the reader to either love or hate them. Choose your favorite character and explore why you feel the way you do about them. Use text for support.
Essay Topic 2
The story is set during the latter part of eighteenth century England. How does Burney evoke this time period in the novel’s setting, characters, and conflict?
Essay Topic 3
The story is written in epistolary form. What are the pros and cons of epistolary writing? How does it affect your enjoyment of Evelina?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)