|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes Letter II?
2. In Letter XXIV, Rev. Villars looks forward to seeing _________________.
3. Who is being detained in England?
4. To whom is Letter II written?
5. Where does Madame Duval ask Rev. Villars to allow Evelina to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Evelina’s first reaction to marrying Lord Orville in such haste as Sir Belmont suggests?
2. What changes after Evelina runs into Lord Orville at Mrs. Beauchamp’s house?
3. What are the circumstances of Evelina Anville’s birth?
4. How does Reverend Villars feel about Evelina’s marriage to Lord Orville?
5. When Evelina returns to Howard Grove, who disrupts the peaceful atmosphere?
6. Who is the rejected suitor that becomes a pest at Howard Grove as he continues to pursue Evelina? With whom does this pest scheme to antagonize Madame Duval?
7. Who is intent on seeing that Sir Belmont recognizes Evelina as his own?
8. Who are Lady Louisa Larpent and her suitor?
9. Who is the protagonist in the story?
10. How does Evelina react to Lord Orville’s polite gestures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vivid imagery is important to a reader’s understanding and enjoyment of stories. Select at least 5 images from Evelina and explore their contribution to your understanding of the story’s deeper meaning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare / contrast the characters of Sir Clement Willoughby and Captain Mirvan. What is the same about their characters? What is different? Is there anything surprising / unexpected in this comparison? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why Burney considered to be a trailblazer in writing? How did she affect female writers who followed her? Who are some of the women writers who wrote works similar to Burney? Explain their contributions.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)