|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 7 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Evelina is with Madame Duval, who are their constant companions?
(a) The Branghtons.
(b) The Greenvilles.
(c) The Bromptons.
(d) The Tierneys.
2. What does Evelina ask the recipient of her letter about Lord Orville’s presence at Mrs. Beaumont’s?
(a) Will Lord Orville ever really care for her?
(b) Is it wrong to feel so harsh about Lord Orville?
(c) Could she give up her resentment toward Lord Orville without impropriety?
(d) Would they please intercede for her with Lord Orville?
3. When Evelina talks to Lord Orville once again, what does she notice about him?
(a) His is very much a gentleman.
(b) He is not romantically interested in her.
(c) He is a crude rogue.
(d) Too many women admire him.
4. Whom does Evelina go for a walk with one night down a dark street?
(a) Captain Mirvan.
(b) Lord Orville.
(c) Sir Clement Willoughby.
(d) Polly and Biddy Branghton.
5. What explanation does Rev. Villars offer for Lord Orville’s reply letter?
(a) Lord Orville is an unfit choice for Evelina.
(b) Lord Orville was drunk when he wrote it.
(c) Lord Orville did not write it.
(d) Lord Orville was simply being humorous.
Short Answer Questions
1. While out with her constant companions, how does Evelina feel when she bumps into Lord Orville and Sir Willougby?
2. To help with recovery, Evelina goes to a health resort in __________________.
3. Who rescues Evelina from her late night encounter with a group of men?
4. What is the tone of the response letter written by the person pretending to be Lord Orville?
5. Who made the comment that Lord Orville was “designed for the last age”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scheme do Madame Duval and the Branghtons carry out when they find out that Evelina has connections to Lord Orville?
2. What are the circumstances under which Evelina saves Mr. Macartney?
3. What does Rev. Villars suggest for Evelina to do so that her health will improve?
4. What happens when Evelina returns to Berryhill after her visit to London?
5. Who are Evelina’s companions while visiting Madame Duval in London? How does Evelina feel about their companionship?
6. How does Sir Clement Willoughby come to Evelina’s rescue?
7. What does Evelina do when she finds out about the Branghtons’ shenanigans?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)