|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Madame Duval attempt to visit after leaving Howard Grove?
(a) Sir John Belmont.
(b) Rev. Villars.
(c) Monsieur Du Bois.
(d) Sir Clement Willoughby.
2. To which two fortunes is the granddaughter of Madame Duval an heir?
(a) Lady Howard’s and Madame Duval’s.
(b) Madame Duval’s and Mr. Evelyn’s.
(c) Sir John Belmont’s and Mr. Evelyn’s.
(d) Mr. Villars. and Sir John Belmont’s.
3. After attending the first event in London, Evelina intends to ________________________.
(a) Ask Mrs. Mirvan to go to a play every night.
(b) Learn the finer points of social etiquette.
(c) Ask Mrs. Mirvan to go to as many balls as possible.
(d) Learn how to do the minuet.
4. What do Evelina, Mrs. Mirvan, and Maria buy while shopping on a morning in London?
(a) Silks, caps, and gauzes.
(c) Perfume and jewelry.
(d) Hats and dresses.
5. Who travels with Mr. Villars’ ward to Howard Grove?
(a) Lady Howard.
(b) Mrs. Clinton.
(c) Madame Duval.
(d) Mrs. Mirvan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Evelina describe Mrs. Mirvan?
2. How did Miss Evelyn die?
3. In Letter X, how does Evelina feel about the upcoming ball?
4. How are the ladies treated at the shops while shopping?
5. What does Evelina say about writing a letter every evening to Mr. Villars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes after Evelina runs into Lord Orville at Mrs. Beauchamp’s house?
2. What was Burney’s experience in high society?
3. Which character in Evelina has the same name as Burney’s maternal grandfather, according to the book’s biographical section?
4. As a child, where was the fake Miss Belmont educated?
5. According to the book’s biographical section, what were Frances Burney’s most acclaimed genres in writing?
6. Why is Mr. Macartney at Mrs. Beauchamp’s house?
7. What does Mrs. Selwyn do to bring about the resolution of the situation?
8. At the end of the story, what phrase does Evelina use to refer to Reverend Villars?
9. How does the reader know that Evelina is changing her attitude towards Lord Orville?
10. Who is the protagonist in the story?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)