|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time of the first letter, how many times has Madame Duval been in the presence of Lady Howard?
2. What is Evelina’s overall opinion of Captain Mirvan?
(a) That he is handsome and intelligent.
(b) That he is respectful and honorable.
(c) That he is vulgar and surly.
(d) That he is deceitful and arrogant.
3. How does Evelina describe Mrs. Mirvan?
(a) As very opinionated.
(b) As kind.
(c) As disorganized.
(d) As very stern.
4. Why does Evelina remain in London for a while instead of returning to Howard Grove?
(a) She becomes ill.
(b) She wants to attend more social events.
(c) She wishes to see more of Lord Orville.
(d) She does not want to be at Howard Grove with Madame Duval.
5. According to Letter XXXII, who is the London visitor at Howard Grove?
(a) Sir John Belmont.
(b) Lord Orville.
(c) Sir Clement Willoughby.
(d) Sir John Belmont’s messenger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Madame Duval attempt to visit after leaving Howard Grove?
2. How are the ladies treated at the shops while shopping?
3. What was Evelina’s response to the first man’s question about her “already being engaged with a more fortunate man”?
4. In light of the men’s behavior, what did Evelina decide to do at the dance?
5. How does Evelina describe the first man who asked her to dance at the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria hear Lord Orville say about Evelina? What does Lord Orville say in defense of Evelina?
2. What does Lord Orville do that would support Evelina’s belief that he is a gentleman?
3. What is Evelina’s first reaction to marrying Lord Orville in such haste as Sir Belmont suggests?
4. According to the book’s biographical section, what were Frances Burney’s most acclaimed genres in writing?
5. What does Sir Belmont propose doing to help everyone save face?
6. How does Reverend Villars feel about Evelina’s marriage to Lord Orville?
7. What relationship does Mr. Macartney have with Evelina, if his claims are true?
8. Who is intent on seeing that Sir Belmont recognizes Evelina as his own?
9. Who are Lady Louisa Larpent and her suitor?
10. What are the circumstances of Evelina Anville’s birth?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)