|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the ward of Mr. Villars?
(a) Lady Howard's granddaughter.
(b) Madame Duval’s granddaughter.
(c) Lady Howard's daughter.
(d) Madame Duval’s daughter.
2. What does Evelina say about writing a letter every evening to Mr. Villars?
(a) It is exhilarating.
(b) It is the most looked forward to event of the day.
(c) It serves as her diary.
(d) It is not practical.
3. To whom does Mr. Villars write in Letter XXIX to sympathize with Evelina’s concerns?
(a) Madame Duval.
(b) Lady Howard.
(d) Sir John Belmont.
4. Who writes Letter I?
(a) Rev. M. Villars.
(b) Madame Duval.
(c) Sir John Belmont.
(d) Lady Howard.
5. Where does Madame Duval ask Rev. Villars to allow Evelina to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the first man who asked Evelina to dance at the ball refer to her as?
2. Why does Lady Howard think it’s better to approach Sir Belmont now rather than later?
3. Who is the late Lady Belmont?
4. Who writes Letter XXXI to Sir John Belmont?
5. Who dances with Mr. Garrick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lady Howard?
2. What does Maria hear Lord Orville say about Evelina? What does Lord Orville say in defense of Evelina?
3. What are the circumstances of Evelina Anville’s birth?
4. What does Mrs. Selwyn do to bring about the resolution of the situation?
5. How does the story begin?
6. At the end of the story, what phrase does Evelina use to refer to Reverend Villars?
7. What family relationship deeply affected Frances Burney’s writing?
8. Which two authors were so impressed by Burney’s work that based their own writing on it?
9. Who investigated Miss Belmont’s background to find out about her predicament?
10. Which character in Evelina has the same name as Burney’s maternal grandfather, according to the book’s biographical section?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)