|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Madame Duval live?
(d) The United States.
2. What event does Evelina attend when she first arrives in London?
(a) A large ball.
(b) A sports event.
(c) A theater production.
(d) A formal dinner.
3. After attending the first event in London, Evelina intends to ________________________.
(a) Learn how to do the minuet.
(b) Learn the finer points of social etiquette.
(c) Ask Mrs. Mirvan to go to as many balls as possible.
(d) Ask Mrs. Mirvan to go to a play every night.
4. Whom does Madame Duval attempt to visit after leaving Howard Grove?
(a) Sir John Belmont.
(b) Monsieur Du Bois.
(c) Sir Clement Willoughby.
(d) Rev. Villars.
5. Whom did Miss Evelyn marry?
(a) Mr. Mirvan.
(b) Mr. Villars.
(c) Sir John Belmont.
(d) Mr. Howard.
6. Who writes Letter XXXI to Sir John Belmont?
(a) Lady Howard.
(b) Rev. Villars.
(c) Madame Duval.
7. In light of the men’s behavior, what did Evelina decide to do at the dance?
(a) She would dance only with men she already knew.
(b) She would dance with only the first man who asked her and no others.
(c) She would not dance with the first man who asked her, but she would accept offers from others.
(d) She would not dance at all, rather than accept the first partner who asked her condescendingly.
8. Where does Lady Howard live?
(a) Berry Hill.
(b) Howard Grove.
(d) Queen’s Court.
9. To whom did Rev. Villars make a promise about protecting Evelina?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandfather.
10. In Letter XXV, what plan does Madame Duval reveal to Evelina?
(a) A plan to bring Lord Orville to Howard Grove.
(b) A plan to force Evelina’s father to claim her.
(c) A plan to introduce Evelina to the right kind of people.
(d) A plan to force Captain Mirvan to leave Howard Grove.
11. What do Evelina, Mrs. Mirvan, and Maria buy while shopping on a morning in London?
(b) Perfume and jewelry.
(c) Silks, caps, and gauzes.
(d) Hats and dresses.
12. Who is the late Lady Belmont?
(a) The deceased daughter of Madame Duval.
(b) The deceased daughter of Madame Duval.
(c) The deceased daughter of Fanny Burney.
(d) The deceased daughter of Lady Howard.
13. In Letter XXIV, Rev. Villars is delighted to write to Evelina, who is ________________.
(a) In Paris.
(b) In London.
(c) At a university.
(d) At Howard Grove.
14. How does Evelina describe Mrs. Mirvan?
(a) As very opinionated.
(b) As very stern.
(c) As disorganized.
(d) As kind.
15. At the time of the first letter, how many times has Madame Duval been in the presence of Lady Howard?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Miss Evelyn die?
2. What remark does Captain Mirvan make to his daughter Maria upon seeing her?
3. Why does Lady Howard think it’s better to approach Sir Belmont now rather than later?
4. What does Evelina buy at the mercer?
5. To whom is Letter II written?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)