|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Evelina attend when she first arrives in London?
(a) A theater production.
(b) A large ball.
(c) A sports event.
(d) A formal dinner.
2. In light of the men’s behavior, what did Evelina decide to do at the dance?
(a) She would not dance with the first man who asked her, but she would accept offers from others.
(b) She would dance only with men she already knew.
(c) She would not dance at all, rather than accept the first partner who asked her condescendingly.
(d) She would dance with only the first man who asked her and no others.
3. How much money did Mr. Evelyn bequeath to Mr. Villars?
(a) 1000 pounds.
(b) 10 pounds.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 10,000 pounds.
4. Who accompanies Evelina to London?
(a) Maria only.
(b) Mrs. Mirvan and Maria.
(c) Lady Howard and Maria.
(d) Mrs. Clinton and Maria.
5. Who delivers Letter V?
(a) Lady Howard.
(c) Mrs. Clinton.
(d) Sir John Belmont.
6. Who writes Letter I?
(a) Rev. M. Villars.
(b) Lady Howard.
(c) Sir John Belmont.
(d) Madame Duval.
7. How does Evelina describe the first man who asked her to dance at the ball?
(a) His dress was foppish, but his face was handsome.
(b) He was respectful, yet ugly.
(c) His dress was foppish, and he was very ugly.
(d) His was well groomed, but he very ugly.
8. According to Letter XXXII, who is the London visitor at Howard Grove?
(a) Sir John Belmont’s messenger.
(b) Sir Clement Willoughby.
(c) Lord Orville.
(d) Sir John Belmont.
9. How does Evelina react to Madame Duval’s plan?
(a) With anger.
(b) With surprise and terror.
(c) With surprise and dismay.
(d) With amusement.
10. Who came to Evelina’s defense when the foppish man makes fun of her at the ball?
(a) Captain Mirvan.
(b) Lord Orville.
(d) A foppish man without a name.
11. In Letter XXIV, Rev. Villars is delighted to write to Evelina, who is ________________.
(a) At Howard Grove.
(b) In London.
(c) In Paris.
(d) At a university.
12. What Frenchman is thought to have been arrested in London, according to Sir Clement’s story?
(a) Monsieur Andre.
(b) Monsieur Lovell.
(c) Monsieur Duval.
(d) Monsieur Du Bois.
13. In Letter VI, Anville is described as a __________________.
(a) Likeness of her mother.
(b) Delicate child.
(c) Spoiled brat.
(d) Little angel.
14. What was Evelina’s response to the first man’s question about her “already being engaged with a more fortunate man”?
(a) No, because she did not know how to dance.
(b) Possibly, but it was rude of him to ask.
(c) No, and she would probably not dance at all.
(d) Yes, and she would dance with no other man.
15. How does Evelina describe the men who wait on the ladies at the millinery?
(a) So debonair!
(b) So well dressed!
(c) So finical, so affected!
(d) So attentive, so handsome!
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Evelina remain in London for a while instead of returning to Howard Grove?
2. Where does Madame Duval live?
3. To whom does Mr. Villars write in Letter XXIX to sympathize with Evelina’s concerns?
4. Where does Mr. Villars live?
5. Who is Evelina?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)