|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letter XXIV - Letter XXXIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who came to Evelina’s defense when the foppish man makes fun of her at the ball?
(a) Lord Orville.
(c) A foppish man without a name.
(d) Captain Mirvan.
2. In the opening lines of Letter XI, how does Evelina describe the evening at the ball?
(a) Most extraordinary.
(b) Most boring.
(c) Most disconcerting.
(d) Most frightening.
3. In Letter XXIV, Rev. Villars is delighted to write to Evelina, who is ________________.
(a) In Paris.
(b) At a university.
(c) In London.
(d) At Howard Grove.
4. In light of the men’s behavior, what did Evelina decide to do at the dance?
(a) She would not dance with the first man who asked her, but she would accept offers from others.
(b) She would dance with only the first man who asked her and no others.
(c) She would not dance at all, rather than accept the first partner who asked her condescendingly.
(d) She would dance only with men she already knew.
5. In Letter XXIV, Rev. Villars looks forward to seeing _________________.
(a) Evelina is a powerful woman.
(b) Evelina as a contented spinster.
(c) Evelina as a revered lady in her neighborhood.
(d) Evelina is an educated woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Evelina say about writing a letter every evening to Mr. Villars?
2. What did the first man who asked Evelina to dance at the ball refer to her as?
3. Who is Mrs. Mirvan?
4. What did Lord Orville refer to Evelina as?
5. Who writes Letter XXXI to Sir John Belmont?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)