|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Professor Jones tell the priest on his death bed?
2. What is the name of the mountain town where Riad takes Eva?
3. What is Aravena's profession?
4. What color are the boots Frau Carle is forced to wear?
5. What word best describes the Professor as an employer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Zulema and Riad's marriage like?
2. How does Consuelo instill a sense of imagination in her daughter?
3. What happens to Madrina after her baby is born deformed?
4. Please describe Elvira.
5. How does the Carle family respond to Lukas' death?
6. What is the relationship between Professor Jones and Consuelo like?
7. What do the Russian soldiers do to the townspeople in Chapter 2?
8. What is Eva's time working for the Cabinet member like?
9. What is Consuelo's time at the convent like prior to living with the Professor?
10. What is Eva's relationship with Patron and Patrona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Romantic relationships can be seen throughout this novel. Please compare and contrast the romantic relationship between Eva and Huberto with the romantic relationship of Rolf and Eva. In your opinion, which one is better for both involved?
Essay Topic 2
Riad comes into Eva's life at a dire moment and gives her a renewed life. Please explain their relationship when they first meet. How does this relationship grow and develop throughout the rest of the story? What role does Riad fulfill in Eva's life?
Essay Topic 3
Eva grew up for the most part without her mother but was lucky enough to have women step into her life to help raise her. Please compare and contrast Eva's relationship with and child rearing habits of Elvira and Madrina. How are they similar? How are they different? Was one a better care taker of Eva? Why or why not?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)