|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Consuelo live at the convent in the city?
2. What does the Professor do with dead bodies?
3. What relation is Kamal to Riad?
4. Why does Elvira keep a coffin in her room?
5. Which of the following best describes Elvira?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Riad?
2. What business/trades is Uncle Rupert involved in?
3. What happens to Madrina after her baby is born deformed?
4. What is Zulema and Riad's marriage like?
5. What request is made by the Professor on his deathbed and is it obeyed?
6. How do things change in the red light district in Chapter 5?
7. How does Eva feel about her new family in Santa Agua?
8. Please describe Professor Jones.
9. What happens the day Riad first arrives in Santa Agua?
10. What happens when Jochen finally stands up to his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Character arcs are apparent in various characters throughout a story. Please explain what a character arc is and summarize Huberto's character arc. Please also explain what type of characters have character arcs and which do not.
Essay Topic 2
Eva is a character who clearly grows and changes throughout the course of the novel.
1. Please explain what type of character this makes Eva,
2. Please explain how Eva changes throughout the story
3. Please identify key points in her life that have caused change, both internally and externally.
Essay Topic 3
Zulema plays a crucial role in the life of Eva. Please briefly explain who Zulema was and explain what her effect on Eva's life was. Do you believe that Eva's life may have turned out differently if Zulema was not in it or if Zulema's actions had been different than those in the story?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)