|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Pearl of the Orient?
2. What type of business to Rupert and Burgel operate?
3. What is the country's leader called?
4. What was wrong with Madrina's baby when it was born?
5. What medical condition strikes the Professor in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Halabi household change with the arrival of Kamal?
2. What are some of the horrible things Lukas Carle does to his family?
3. What happens to Madrina after her baby is born deformed?
4. What business/trades is Uncle Rupert involved in?
5. What is Eva's time working for the Cabinet member like?
6. What happens the day Riad first arrives in Santa Agua?
7. Please describe Elvira.
8. How does the Carle family respond to Lukas' death?
9. What does Huberto do for Eva in Chapter 5?
10. What do the Russian soldiers do to the townspeople in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain what characterization is and why it is a vital part of a novel. Please choose one character from Eva Luna and summarize how the author used characterization in connecting the reader to this character.
Essay Topic 2
In this story, Riad has a physical deformity that he must live with. Please explain how such deformities were looked at by the society at the time this book was written. Compare and contrast the Zulema's and Eva's treatment of this physical deformity.
Essay Topic 3
Who would you consider the protagonist(s) in Eva Luna and who/what are the main antagonists to this protagonist(s)? Please provide examples from the book showing how the interaction and relationships between the antagonist(s) and protagonist(s)? Do antagonist(s) and protagonist(s) always have to be living things (humans, animals)?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)