|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to interfere with the plans the new friends have made?
(a) His new friend is jailed for treason.
(b) His father sends Eugene to the country.
(c) They borrow too much money and are exiled.
(d) Eugene Onegin's father dies and he hands over the estate to creditors.
2. Why does Vladimir Lensky leave the company of Eugene Onegin each evening once their friendship is established?
(a) He is afraid of Eugene after he starts drinking.
(b) He is carrying on a secret love affair with Olga.
(c) Spending too much time with Eugene depresses him.
(d) To have dinner at the Larin household.
3. What does the nurse think of Tatyana when she sees her distracted and distraught?
(a) That she loves the neighbor's son.
(b) That she is worried for father's health.
(c) That she has read too many romance novels.
(d) That she must be ill.
4. What does the narrator say of the literature of his time?
(a) It worships vampires.
(b) It makes vice attractive.
(c) That it used to be about honesty and virtue.
(d) All of the above.
5. What does the narrator think of Eugene's actions?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He thinks Eugene was hasty and thoughtless.
(c) He thinks Eugene gloried in his victory over Tatyana's heart.
(d) He thinks Eugene was kind and showed a noble heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eugene Onegin befriend while he is depressed?
2. How does the narrator see Eugene Onegin's inability to be moved by love?
3. Which of the following characters were designed as literary foils for each other?
4. Why does Eugene agree to go to the celebration household?
5. On a typical day, the young Eugene Onegin would....
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Olga and Tatyana's mother's marriage?
2. Who is Tatyana? What is she like?
3. Vladimir writes his poetry inspired by Olga, but rarely gets to read it to her because she doesn't read poetry. Who does the narrator confess he reads his poetry to?
4. What is Eugene doing when the novel opens? How does he feel about it?
5. What events unfold when Tatyana hears Eugene Onegin's horse arriving?
6. Describe the character of Eugene Onegin.
7. What does the gossip say about Eugene Onegin shortly after his first visit to the Larin household, and what result does it have?
8. How does Eugene get along with his neighbors in the country?
9. Describe Vladimir Lensky.
10. In chapter one the narrator is briefly a character in his own story. What interaction does the narrator have with Eugene?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)