|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Tatyana and her mother stay when they arrive in Moscow?
(a) At a fashionable house they rented downtown.
(b) At the home of Tatyana's father's wealthy relatives.
(c) In a hotel by the river.
(d) At the home of an old aunt.
2. Who fires first in the duel between Onegin and Lensky?
(b) Lensky but his gun misfires.
(d) They fire at the same time.
3. How does Eugene feel about the arrangement with Vladimir when he has time to reflect?
(a) He regrets the role he played but thinks it is too late to change.
(b) He is angry at Vladimir that it has come to this.
(c) He is fed up with the whole affair and contemplates leaving town.
(d) None of the above.
4. Who notices the distress Tatyana feels at seeing Eugene Onegin again?
(a) Only Eugene.
(b) Everyone around her.
(c) Olga and Lensky.
5. In the beginning of Tatyana's dream, where is she?
(a) Lost in an unfamiliar land.
(b) Walking home through the country from a festival.
(c) In a wintry landscape near a raging river.
(d) Behind Eugene Onegin's house.
6. When Tatyana returns and spends time in Eugene Onegin's house, what does she do?
(a) All the above.
(b) Spending time getting to know Eugene Onegin through his books.
(c) Takes naps on Eugene Onegin's bed.
(d) Looks for clues about where he has gone and when he might return.
7. What happens between Eugene Onegin and Tatyana during her name day feast?
(a) He ignores her all evening.
(b) He says rude things to keep her at a distance.
(c) He dances with her.
(d) He gives her a sympathetic look that reawakens her heart.
8. In the spring after the winter that Vladimir Lensky died, what is the state of his grave?
(a) The paths to it are all overgrown.
(b) The shepard is the only person that comes around.
(c) All the above.
(d) A wreath no longer hangs above it.
9. How does Eugene Onegin spend his time before the duel?
(b) Cursing himself to have let the situation come to this.
(c) Trying to write a letter to Vladimir.
10. How does Eugene Onegin feel about the situation in which he finds himself?
(a) He is angered by Tatyana's distress.
(b) He vows to take vengence on Lensky.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He hates being at this sort of feast.
11. What is the dinner party like that Eugene Onegin attends at the prince's house?
(a) A desperate superficial attempt to appear wealthy.
(b) The best of society with lively banter controlled by the regal hostess Tatyana.
(c) A mockery of high society and fashion.
(d) A stately dinner of politics and diplomacies beyond Tatyana's comprehension.
12. In her dream, when Tatyana wakes up in a house, where is she?
(a) She is lying in the hallway and can the clink of glass in in a neighboring room.
(b) None of the above.
(c) She is in the master bed dressed in a long gown.
(d) She is standing in front of a crowd waiting for her to sing.
13. What does Tatyana think of the way Eugene Onegin behaved with Olga at her name day celebration?
(a) She understood his motive and pitied him.
(b) She doesn't understand it.
(c) She didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
(d) She thinks he acted abhorently.
14. What does Eugene Onegin do when Zaretsky demands he have a second for the duel?
(a) Names his man in waiting as his second.
(b) Tries to use this oversight as leverage to call off the duel.
(c) Tries to name Lensky as his second.
(d) Laughs at him.
15. What homage is paid to Tatyana at her name day celebration?
(a) Lensky has written an extensive verse about Tatyana the he reads to the guests.
(b) A song taken from an almanac, but with the name replaced with Tatyana's.
(c) People stand and share their fondest memories of Tatyana.
(d) Tatyana is asked to sit for portrait.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eugene Onegin think when he first sees Tatyana at a ball?
2. Which of the following comparisons can be made according to the story Eugene Onegin?
3. How many people have come to celebrate Tatyana's name day celebration?
4. What happens the first time that Tatyana goes to Eugene Onegin's estate after he has left?
5. Who, according to the narrator, does Vladimir Lensky's tombstone still cause to tear up?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)