|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of immigrant group is most likely to retain a foreign language and culture?
2. Why have the Chinese been called "the Jews of Asia?"
3. As those with different views left the South, what changed in the southern population?
4. What is a "coyote"?
5. What did Chinatowns become in the 20th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Chinese cultural diversity similar to that of Italy?
2. What are the "pushes" and "pulls" that bring Mexican immigrants to the United States?
3. What are some signs of the slow acculturation of Mexican immigrants?
4. How do Puerto Ricans compare economically with other immigrant groups?
5. How did American law operate against Chinese immigrants?
6. What field of endeavor was essentially invented by immigrant Japanese?
7. What factors make Puerto Rican immigrants unique?
8. Why has Mexican immigration divided the mainstream population?
9. What negative effects did total dependence have on the slave population?
10. What was unusual about the Japanese government's approach to emigration to the U.S.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prices are affected by the culture of arriving immigrants. In your essay, explain, for example, how landlords in slum neighborhoods with heavy populations of newcomers charge high rents but do not receive high incomes, and how crime rates in such neighborhoods affect the cost of items in local stores.
Essay Topic 2
Migration does not bring a random cross section of the population of the native country. In your essay, examine which members of a population are most likely to emigrate. Consider, for example, Japanese emigrants who were pre-screened by their government before they were permitted to leave. What factors were considered? What factors are most likely to promote success in a new environment?
Essay Topic 3
It may seem ironic that established immigrant groups have been shown to discriminate against more recent immigrants of the same ethnicity. Using examples from the text, write an essay examining this phenomenon and give your opinion about its causes and effects.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)