|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the first free persons of colors?
2. What type of immigrant group is most likely to retain a foreign language and culture?
3. What percentage of white families in the South owned no slaves at all?
4. What is a "coyote"?
5. What was a "tong?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did geography contribute to the perpetuation of slavery?
2. What factors make Puerto Rican immigrants unique?
3. How did American law operate against Chinese immigrants?
4. Why is it particularly difficult to measure advancement in the immigrant Puerto Rican community?
5. What negative effects did total dependence have on the slave population?
6. What was unique about the slave population of the United States when compared with slaves in other countries?
7. How have Chinese immigrants traditionally been received in host countries?
8. Why did most Chinese immigrants work in laundries and restaurants in the U.S.?
9. Why has Mexican immigration divided the mainstream population?
10. What is unique about the Mexican population in the Southwest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patterns emerge among all ethnic groups that show differences between the first generation of immigrants and the second and third generations. In your essay, select one or two ethnic groups to examine and compare generational differences.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you compare and contrast two groups of immigrants based on factors such as persistence of the first language, fertility rates, attitudes toward education, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you explore the responses of various immigrant groups to the discrimination against them in the United States. Consider which responses led to successful assimilation over time, and support your opinion about the best way to deal with discrimination with data from the text.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)