|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Chinese America crime rate compare to other immigrant groups?
2. What was a "hatchet man"?
3. What segment of the U.S. population has traditionally pushed for open access for Mexican laborers?
4. Blacks are the only ethnic group that came to the U.S. under what condition?
5. What did the Japanese government do when immigrants to Hawaii were unhappy with working conditions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Chinese cultural diversity similar to that of Italy?
2. What was unique about the slave population of the United States when compared with slaves in other countries?
3. What are some signs of the slow acculturation of Mexican immigrants?
4. What qualities distinguished Japanese school children in the U.S.?
5. How do Puerto Ricans compare economically with other immigrant groups?
6. What factors account for Chinese success in the United States?
7. What is unique about the Mexican population in the Southwest?
8. What negative effects did total dependence have on the slave population?
9. What are the "pushes" and "pulls" that bring Mexican immigrants to the United States?
10. Why has Mexican immigration divided the mainstream population?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patterns emerge among all ethnic groups that show differences between the first generation of immigrants and the second and third generations. In your essay, select one or two ethnic groups to examine and compare generational differences.
Essay Topic 2
Prices are affected by the culture of arriving immigrants. In your essay, explain, for example, how landlords in slum neighborhoods with heavy populations of newcomers charge high rents but do not receive high incomes, and how crime rates in such neighborhoods affect the cost of items in local stores.
Essay Topic 3
Sowell speaks of acculturation in concentric rings. What does he mean by this metaphor? What are examples of groups which would be in the inner circles? What are examples of groups which would be on the outer circles?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)