|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did many of the Japanese regard the United States during the 19th century?
2. What is a "coyote"?
3. Who were the first free persons of colors?
4. What was the Six Companies?
5. In California, Japanese immigrants initiated what two business models?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was marriage among slaves encouraged by slave owners?
2. What are some signs of the slow acculturation of Mexican immigrants?
3. Why is it particularly difficult to measure advancement in the immigrant Puerto Rican community?
4. What was unique about the slave population of the United States when compared with slaves in other countries?
5. How do Puerto Ricans compare economically with other immigrant groups?
6. What factors make Puerto Rican immigrants unique?
7. How was Chinese cultural diversity similar to that of Italy?
8. What factors account for Chinese success in the United States?
9. How did American law operate against Chinese immigrants?
10. How have Chinese immigrants traditionally been received in host countries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prices are affected by the culture of arriving immigrants. In your essay, explain, for example, how landlords in slum neighborhoods with heavy populations of newcomers charge high rents but do not receive high incomes, and how crime rates in such neighborhoods affect the cost of items in local stores.
Essay Topic 2
It may seem ironic that established immigrant groups have been shown to discriminate against more recent immigrants of the same ethnicity. Using examples from the text, write an essay examining this phenomenon and give your opinion about its causes and effects.
Essay Topic 3
Sowell contends that looking for causes and effects in history is very different than looking for justification or condemnation. In your essay, examine the differences between the two approaches to the same data.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)