|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The most affluent groups have experienced ________________ discrimination.
2. Which ethnic group has the highest fertility rates?
3. What is the largest single ethnic group in the U.S.?
4. What important social change did Germans bring to the mainstream culture?
5. How had most of the Scotch-Irish financed their immigration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unusual about German migration patterns in the 20th century?
2. Why is it difficult to determine the effect of discrimination on ethnic groups?
3. Why were the Jews a more diverse group than other immigrant groups?
4. How were the Irish immigrants of the 19th century stereotyped?
5. What Jewish patterns in Europe became important to their success in America?
6. What trade did Jews traditionally practice during the Diaspora?
7. What factors contributed to Irish immigrant workers' lack of initiative?
8. What geographical advantages does northern Italy have over southern Italy?
9. How does the average age of an ethnic group affect its socioeconomic status?
10. How had the Jews historically been treated in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you explore the responses of various immigrant groups to the discrimination against them in the United States. Consider which responses led to successful assimilation over time, and support your opinion about the best way to deal with discrimination with data from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Select one ethnic group for which you will explore how the cultural values that came with them from their country of origin affected their assimilation into the culture of the United States. For example, what effect did Jewish dietary laws and ritual cleansing have on them? What effect did Italian emphasis on self-reliance have on them when they became immigrants?
Essay Topic 3
Sowell contends that looking for causes and effects in history is very different than looking for justification or condemnation. In your essay, examine the differences between the two approaches to the same data.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)