|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Italy unite under one government?
2. The longer the journey by ship took, the _______________ the people became.
3. The highest fertility rates are found in groups with the ________________ incomes.
4. How did Italian immigrants to the U.S. regard education?
5. The most affluent groups have experienced ________________ discrimination.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unusual about German migration patterns in the 20th century?
2. Why is it difficult to determine the effect of discrimination on ethnic groups?
3. What Jewish patterns in Europe became important to their success in America?
4. What historical events contributed to the fragmentation of the Italian population?
5. Why were the Jews a more diverse group than other immigrant groups?
6. What was an indentured servant?
7. In what ways have American ethnic communities supplied leadership to their countries of origin?
8. How does the average age of an ethnic group affect its socioeconomic status?
9. How were the German immigrants characterized?
10. What was the effect of the Irish rebellion of 1641?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sowell contends that looking for causes and effects in history is very different than looking for justification or condemnation. In your essay, examine the differences between the two approaches to the same data.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, analyze how the various methods of available transportation have affected who was able to immigrate, where they were able to land, and what work they were able to undertake upon arrival.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you compare and contrast two groups of immigrants based on factors such as persistence of the first language, fertility rates, attitudes toward education, etc.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)