|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V, The Italians.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of trouble did employers invite who mixed Italian workers from different villages?
(c) Increased absenteeism.
2. How long did it take to cross the Atlantic in a steamship?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Ten months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Ten weeks.
3. What important social change did Germans bring to the mainstream culture?
(a) Respect for science.
(b) Stricter morals and mores.
(c) Promotion of family entertainment.
(d) Beer drinking.
4. What was the average life expectancy of an Irish immigrant in the 19th century?
5. What does Sowell determine transient immigrants are less likely to do?
(a) Establish businesses and save money.
(b) Learn the language and become citizens.
(c) Make friends and join social groups.
(d) Work hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the term "ghetto" originally mean?
2. What crop were most slaves in the U.S. producing?
3. The highest fertility rates are found in groups with the ________________ incomes.
4. What law helped establish the southern Italian crime syndicates?
5. How did northern and southern Italian immigrants regard each other?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)