|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V, The Italians.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had most of the Scotch-Irish financed their immigration?
(a) They became indentured servants.
(b) They worked as apprentices.
(c) They were sent with money from home.
(d) They formed credit unions among themselves.
2. How did Italian immigrants to the U.S. regard education?
(a) With hope.
(b) With confusion.
(c) With hostility.
(d) With gratitude.
3. What does Sowell determine transient immigrants are less likely to do?
(a) Make friends and join social groups.
(b) Establish businesses and save money.
(c) Learn the language and become citizens.
(d) Work hard.
4. Which group represents the most dramatic example of upward mobility among immigrants?
(a) The Irish.
(c) The illiterate.
(d) The Polish.
5. The most affluent groups have experienced ________________ discrimination.
(a) About the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Europeans treat Jews as they became the only non-Christians on the continent?
2. In what area did 19th century Irish consider themselves superior to Germans?
3. The longer the journey by ship took, the _______________ the people became.
4. What was the occupation of the German immigrants who landed in St. Louis and Milwaukee?
5. What advantages does northern Italy have over southern Italy, where most emigrants lived?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)