|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V, The Italians.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advantages did early Irish immigrants have over others?
(a) They were hard workers and used to urban life.
(b) They had business acumen and education.
(c) They had skills for industrialization.
(d) They spoke English and many were literate.
2. What was the "Pale"?
(a) The area where Russian Jews went for recreation.
(b) The area where Russian Jews were imprisoned.
(c) The area where Russian Jews were allowed to live.
(d) The area where Russian Jews were not allowed to live.
3. How did Italian immigrants to the U.S. regard education?
(a) With confusion.
(b) With gratitude.
(c) With hostility.
(d) With hope.
4. Which group formed the largest migration to America in the 19th century?
5. How many years did a German indentured servant typically have to work to pay off his transportation to America?
(a) Three to seven.
(b) Two to five.
(c) Eight to ten.
(d) One to two.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did German Jews regard themselves?
2. What was the occupation of the German immigrants who landed in St. Louis and Milwaukee?
3. The "penal laws" imposed by the British on the Irish were intended to keep the Irish in what situation?
4. What area in the United States contained the greatest number of Jews ever assembled in one place on earth?
5. What percentage of the population is the largest single ethnic group?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)