|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV, The Jews.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the term "ghetto" originally mean?
(a) A prison.
(b) An impoverished area of the city.
(c) A walled, gated Jewish community.
(d) A rich area of the city.
2. What area in the United States contained the greatest number of Jews ever assembled in one place on earth?
3. What was the occupation of the majority of Irish immigrants in the 19th century?
(a) Unskilled labor.
(d) Glass blowing.
4. What diseases plagued the Irish living in tenements?
(a) Smallpox and cholera.
(b) Tuberculosis and typhoid fever.
(c) Cholera and tuberculosis.
(d) Typhoid fever and smallpox.
5. What caused repeated conflicts between the Scotch-Irish and the Celtic Irish immigrants who arrived later?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do most people of Irish ancestry live?
2. Which group was the most isolated of the early German settlers?
3. What tools have Jews traditionally used to respond to adversity?
4. What was the name for a middleman who bought and sold indentured servants?
5. Which group of Jews in New York were more established and wealthier?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)