|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV, The Jews.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the system of tenant farming undermine Irish initiative?
(a) No improvements were permitted.
(b) All improvements belonged to the landowner.
(c) All improvements would be reversed.
(d) All improvements were heavily taxed.
2. What industry occupied nearly half of Russian Jews prior to their emigration to the U.S.?
(a) Clothing production.
3. What is the largest single ethnic group in the U.S.?
4. What was a "Hessian"?
(a) German government officials.
(b) German communitarians.
(c) German pacifists.
(d) German soldiers recruited to fight in the Revolutionary War.
5. During the decades surrounding the beginning of the 20th century, what proportion of Eastern European Jews moved to the United States?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jews who had survived persecution store their wealth?
2. In what area did 19th century Irish consider themselves superior to Germans?
3. How had most of the Scotch-Irish financed their immigration?
4. Why was American farming foreign to the Irish immigrants?
5. In their own land, the Irish were a _________________ people.
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)