|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan perceives Zeena's tone as __________________________.
2. Ethan and Jotham put off their trip into town because ________________________.
3. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
4. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
5. For Ethan, Zeena personifies ______________________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. What has given Zeena a new air of authority?
2. Describe Mattie as the narrator sees her.
3. What clues does Ethan have that Zeena's return will not be a pleasant one?
4. How is Ethan once again annoyed by Denis Eady in Chapter 6?
5. What is significant about Zeena's behavior that day?
6. What prevents Jotham from staying for dinner as he usually does, and why does this bother Ethan?
7. What generally happens when Ethan tries to be dishonest?
8. What does Zeena's continued good mood show about her character?
9. How do Zeena and Mattie get along after the accident?
10. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering the roles available to women in the novel, write an essay in which you analyze the effect of any female character's actions on major events. Determine whether the character is responsible for her actions, or whether her role has dictated the outcome of events.
Essay Topic 2
In most of the chapters in the novel, Ethan's thoughts and actions are revealed through third person characterization. Considering the third person limited point of view, write an essay identifying Ethan Frome as either a sympathetic or an unsympathetic character, and discuss the influence of the narrator on Ethan's characterization.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the characters of Denis Eady, Jotham Powell, and Andrew Hale. How has each of these male characters helped or harmed Ethan in his plans to find happiness with Mattie? Write an essay in which you describe each of these male characters' influence on Ethan Frome's actions in the text.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)