|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
2. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
3. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
4. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
5. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
2. What is Zeena's true purpose in hiring a girl to take care of her and their home?
3. How is Ethan once again annoyed by Denis Eady in Chapter 6?
4. Aside from Mattie, where does Ethan continue to find inspiration and beauty?
5. What generally happens when Ethan tries to be dishonest?
6. What might the weather foreshadow about Ethan's plans for the day?
7. What does Zeena spend her time doing since the accident?
8. How does Ethan's perception of Zeena change during their argument?
9. Why doesn't Ethan feel he can refuse Zeena's demand to send Mattie away?
10. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many images and ideas in Ethan Frome reflect isolation and disconnection for the main characters. Considering these ideas, write an essay in which you use examples of isolation and disconnection to explore, explain, rationalize, or defend any character's actions throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the major characters of the novel, determine any character as sympathetic, and write an essay in which you defend your choice using specific examples from the text. Then, do the same with an unsympathetic character.
Essay Topic 3
Is Ethan Frome the hero of his own story? Considering his actions and motivations, write an essay in which you determine whether or not Ethan Frome is a heroic character.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)