|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
2. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
3. How does Zeena reply to Mattie's remarks?
4. Why does the memory of the Fromes' place cause Mrs. Hale pain?
5. After the accident, the town ___________________________________.
Essay Topic 1
Characters in Ethan Frome are faced with the manipulation and motivations of others throughout the text. Choose the character you believe is most effected by others' manipulations and motivations, and write an essay supporting your argument. Use specific examples from the text to help support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Martin Luther said that "Thoughts pay no duty." Considering the difference between Ethan Frome's thoughts and his many actions of duty performed in the novel, write an essay in which you defend, refute or qualify Luther's quote using Ethan Frome as support for your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The New York Times said, "The secret of [Ethan Frome's] greatness is the stark human drama of it;...it is plain, raw, first-hand human stuff." In your essay, defend, refute, or qualify the Times' review, identifying the novel's significance to the human experiences of love, duty, or loss.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)