|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan returns home to find _____________________________________.
2. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
3. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
4. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
5. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
Essay Topic 1
Many images and ideas in Ethan Frome reflect isolation and disconnection for the main characters. Considering these ideas, write an essay in which you use examples of isolation and disconnection to explore, explain, rationalize, or defend any character's actions throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Wharton's use of symbols such as the horse, the cold, and the farmhouse to establish Frome's character throughout the novel. Then write an essay in which you identify at least three symbols that represent qualities of Ethan's character.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the minor characters in the novel, such as Harmon Gow, Jotham Powell, Andrew Hale, or Ruth Varnum Hale, and write an essay in which you describe the influence of any minor character's actions on the events or theme of the text.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)