|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
2. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
3. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
4. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
5. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
Essay Topic 1
Considering the images of small town life Wharton creates in Ethan Frome, write an essay in which you argue for or against the promises and limitations of small town life exhibited in Starkfield. Use at least three characters or events as examples for your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the author's use of irony in the novel, write an essay in which you argue for or against its effectiveness in revealing the message. Use specific examples of irony from the text as support, and evaluate the success or failure of each one in contributing to the message of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motifs of brokenness, sickness, and injury in Ethan Frome. Write an essay in which you explain the significance of any one of these motifs to the theme or message of the novel.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)