Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
2. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
3. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
4. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
5. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
Essay Topic 1
Characters in Ethan Frome are faced with the manipulation and motivations of others throughout the text. Choose the character you believe is most effected by others' manipulations and motivations, and write an essay supporting your argument. Use specific examples from the text to help support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Zeena's sickness in the novel as symbolic of her personality or intentions. Write an essay in which you consider the symbolic meaning of Zeena's sickness in the novel, and discuss its significance to the theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Martin Luther said that "Thoughts pay no duty." Considering the difference between Ethan Frome's thoughts and his many actions of duty performed in the novel, write an essay in which you defend, refute or qualify Luther's quote using Ethan Frome as support for your argument.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)