Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
2. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
3. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
4. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
5. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
Essay Topic 1
Many images and ideas in Ethan Frome reflect isolation and disconnection for the main characters. Considering these ideas, write an essay in which you use examples of isolation and disconnection to explore, explain, rationalize, or defend any character's actions throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Martin Luther said that "Thoughts pay no duty." Considering the difference between Ethan Frome's thoughts and his many actions of duty performed in the novel, write an essay in which you defend, refute or qualify Luther's quote using Ethan Frome as support for your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the characters of Denis Eady, Jotham Powell, and Andrew Hale. How has each of these male characters helped or harmed Ethan in his plans to find happiness with Mattie? Write an essay in which you describe each of these male characters' influence on Ethan Frome's actions in the text.
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)