|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeena reply to Mattie's remarks?
2. How does Zeena find the broken pickle dish?
3. Why does Mrs. Hale only visit the Fromes twice a year?
4. What new clues indicate Zeena's continued satisfaction over her victory?
5. Zeena objects to doctors' suggestions ___________________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the importance of duty and appearance affect the events and theme of Ethan Frome? Write an essay in which you choose three examples from the text that suggest an event or theme is affected by duty and appearance.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the images of small town life Wharton creates in Ethan Frome, write an essay in which you argue for or against the promises and limitations of small town life exhibited in Starkfield. Use at least three characters or events as examples for your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Whose fault is the eventual state of the Fromes? Write an essay in which you consider the final state of the Fromes, financially, socially, and emotionally speaking, and determine one character who is ultimately at fault for their decline. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)