Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
2. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
3. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
4. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
5. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
Considering the author's use of irony in the novel, write an essay in which you argue for or against its effectiveness in revealing the message. Use specific examples of irony from the text as support, and evaluate the success or failure of each one in contributing to the message of the novel.
Consider the minor characters in the novel, such as Harmon Gow, Jotham Powell, Andrew Hale, or Ruth Varnum Hale, and write an essay in which you describe the influence of any minor character's actions on the events or theme of the text.
Consider the motifs of brokenness, sickness, and injury in Ethan Frome. Write an essay in which you explain the significance of any one of these motifs to the theme or message of the novel.
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)