|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
2. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
3. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
4. Ethan invites Jotham to dinner because _______________________________________.
5. Why does the memory of the Fromes' place cause Mrs. Hale pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whose fault is the eventual state of the Fromes? Write an essay in which you consider the final state of the Fromes, financially, socially, and emotionally speaking, and determine one character who is ultimately at fault for their decline. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Wharton's use of symbols such as the horse, the cold, and the farmhouse to establish Frome's character throughout the novel. Then write an essay in which you identify at least three symbols that represent qualities of Ethan's character.
Essay Topic 3
Considering the author's use of irony in the novel, write an essay in which you argue for or against its effectiveness in revealing the message. Use specific examples of irony from the text as support, and evaluate the success or failure of each one in contributing to the message of the novel.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)