Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
2. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
3. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
4. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
5. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
Over the course of the novel, Ethan loses hope in many of his dreams. Write an essay in which you follow the progression of Ethan's defeat using specific events and motifs to support your argument.
Considering the images of small town life Wharton creates in Ethan Frome, write an essay in which you argue for or against the promises and limitations of small town life exhibited in Starkfield. Use at least three characters or events as examples for your argument.
In most of the chapters in the novel, Ethan's thoughts and actions are revealed through third person characterization. Considering the third person limited point of view, write an essay identifying Ethan Frome as either a sympathetic or an unsympathetic character, and discuss the influence of the narrator on Ethan's characterization.
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)