|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
2. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
3. Ethan does his clearest thinking while _______________________________.
4. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
5. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Ethan and Mattie continually reminded of Zeena?
2. Why does Ethan mention to Mattie that he saw Ned and Ruth kissing earlier?
3. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
4. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
5. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
6. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
7. What images might foreshadow trouble or death in the chapter?
8. Why has Zeena stayed up waiting for Ethan and Mattie?
9. What is the atmosphere between Ethan and Mattie like after dinner?
10. Why is Ethan concerned about Zeena's behavior toward himself and Mattie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering the roles available to women in the novel, write an essay in which you analyze the effect of any female character's actions on major events. Determine whether the character is responsible for her actions, or whether her role has dictated the outcome of events.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the author's use of irony in the novel, write an essay in which you argue for or against its effectiveness in revealing the message. Use specific examples of irony from the text as support, and evaluate the success or failure of each one in contributing to the message of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the characters of Denis Eady, Jotham Powell, and Andrew Hale. How has each of these male characters helped or harmed Ethan in his plans to find happiness with Mattie? Write an essay in which you describe each of these male characters' influence on Ethan Frome's actions in the text.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)