|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
2. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
3. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
4. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
5. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ethan so concerned about Zeena's behavior the previous evening?
2. Why is Ethan afraid to be alone on the farm?
3. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
4. What does Ethan allow himself to fantasize about during his walk home with Mattie?
5. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
6. Why does Ethan find Zeena's silences unsettling?
7. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
8. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
9. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
10. In what way does Ethan finally attempt a physical connection between himself and Mattie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Zeena's sickness in the novel as symbolic of her personality or intentions. Write an essay in which you consider the symbolic meaning of Zeena's sickness in the novel, and discuss its significance to the theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of the novel, Ethan loses hope in many of his dreams. Write an essay in which you follow the progression of Ethan's defeat using specific events and motifs to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In most of the chapters in the novel, Ethan's thoughts and actions are revealed through third person characterization. Considering the third person limited point of view, write an essay identifying Ethan Frome as either a sympathetic or an unsympathetic character, and discuss the influence of the narrator on Ethan's characterization.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)