|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
2. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
3. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
4. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
5. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the atmosphere between Ethan and Mattie like after dinner?
2. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
3. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
4. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
5. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
6. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
7. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
8. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
9. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
10. Describe Ethan and Zeena as they fall asleep at night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the minor characters in the novel, such as Harmon Gow, Jotham Powell, Andrew Hale, or Ruth Varnum Hale, and write an essay in which you describe the influence of any minor character's actions on the events or theme of the text.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the roles available to women in the novel, write an essay in which you analyze the effect of any female character's actions on major events. Determine whether the character is responsible for her actions, or whether her role has dictated the outcome of events.
Essay Topic 3
Considering the major characters of the novel, determine any character as sympathetic, and write an essay in which you defend your choice using specific examples from the text. Then, do the same with an unsympathetic character.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)