|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
2. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
3. At the end of the chapter, Ethan's last thoughts are about _____________________________.
4. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
5. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ethan concerned about Zeena's behavior toward himself and Mattie?
2. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
3. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
4. What is Zeena's true purpose in hiring a girl to take care of her and their home?
5. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
6. Who finally takes action to determine the outcome of Ethan and Mattie's situation?
7. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
8. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
9. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
10. What does Zeena spend her time doing since the accident?
Essay Topic 1
Whose fault is the eventual state of the Fromes? Write an essay in which you consider the final state of the Fromes, financially, socially, and emotionally speaking, and determine one character who is ultimately at fault for their decline. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of the novel, Ethan loses hope in many of his dreams. Write an essay in which you follow the progression of Ethan's defeat using specific events and motifs to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Zeena's sickness in the novel as symbolic of her personality or intentions. Write an essay in which you consider the symbolic meaning of Zeena's sickness in the novel, and discuss its significance to the theme of the novel.
This section contains 1,532 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)