|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
2. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
3. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
4. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
5. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ethan allow himself to fantasize about during his walk home with Mattie?
2. Why did Ethan find it easier to put his arm around Mattie when they were outside together than when they are in his home?
3. What does Ethan enjoy sharing with Mattie that he cannot share with Zeena?
4. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
5. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
6. Why does Ethan mention to Mattie that he saw Ned and Ruth kissing earlier?
7. What is Ethan's attitude toward Denis Eady? Why?
8. Why does Ethan find Zeena's silences unsettling?
9. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
10. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whose fault is the eventual state of the Fromes? Write an essay in which you consider the final state of the Fromes, financially, socially, and emotionally speaking, and determine one character who is ultimately at fault for their decline. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Considering the contrasting motifs of cold and warmth or light and darkness, write an essay in which you explore the significance of Wharton's motif to the theme of her novel. Use specific examples of the motifs as support for your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Hal Borland said, "No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn." Consdering this quote, write an essay in which you argue whether or not Ethan's symbolic "winter" has lasted forever, or whether spring has come to him in any way. Use specific examples to support your text.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)