|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena asks Ethan if Jotham Powell can _________________________.
2. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
3. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
4. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
5. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ethan so concerned about Zeena's behavior the previous evening?
2. What, according to Ethan, is responsible for the biggest change in Mattie since she arrived in Starkfield?
3. What does Ethan enjoy sharing with Mattie that he cannot share with Zeena?
4. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
5. What is the atmosphere between Ethan and Mattie like after dinner?
6. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
7. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
8. Why is Ethan afraid to be alone on the farm?
9. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
10. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hal Borland said, "No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn." Consdering this quote, write an essay in which you argue whether or not Ethan's symbolic "winter" has lasted forever, or whether spring has come to him in any way. Use specific examples to support your text.
Essay Topic 2
Is Ethan Frome the hero of his own story? Considering his actions and motivations, write an essay in which you determine whether or not Ethan Frome is a heroic character.
Essay Topic 3
Considering the contrasting motifs of cold and warmth or light and darkness, write an essay in which you explore the significance of Wharton's motif to the theme of her novel. Use specific examples of the motifs as support for your argument.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)