|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
2. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
3. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
4. When Zeena opens the door, Ethan is surprised by _______________________.
5. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
2. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
3. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
4. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
5. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
6. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
7. Why is Ethan so concerned about Zeena's behavior the previous evening?
8. In what way does Ethan finally attempt a physical connection between himself and Mattie?
9. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
10. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The New York Times said, "The secret of [Ethan Frome's] greatness is the stark human drama of it;...it is plain, raw, first-hand human stuff." In your essay, defend, refute, or qualify the Times' review, identifying the novel's significance to the human experiences of love, duty, or loss.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motifs of brokenness, sickness, and injury in Ethan Frome. Write an essay in which you explain the significance of any one of these motifs to the theme or message of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Hal Borland said, "No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn." Consdering this quote, write an essay in which you argue whether or not Ethan's symbolic "winter" has lasted forever, or whether spring has come to him in any way. Use specific examples to support your text.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)