|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
2. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
3. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
4. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
5. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What images might foreshadow trouble or death in the chapter?
2. Why is Zeena traveling to Bettsbridge?
3. Describe Zeena Frome.
4. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
5. Why is Ethan afraid to be alone on the farm?
6. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
7. What, according to Ethan, is responsible for the biggest change in Mattie since she arrived in Starkfield?
8. Why is Ethan concerned about Zeena's behavior toward himself and Mattie?
9. What does Ethan enjoy sharing with Mattie that he cannot share with Zeena?
10. In what way does Ethan finally attempt a physical connection between himself and Mattie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters in Ethan Frome are faced with the manipulation and motivations of others throughout the text. Choose the character you believe is most effected by others' manipulations and motivations, and write an essay supporting your argument. Use specific examples from the text to help support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Martin Luther said that "Thoughts pay no duty." Considering the difference between Ethan Frome's thoughts and his many actions of duty performed in the novel, write an essay in which you defend, refute or qualify Luther's quote using Ethan Frome as support for your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Zeena's sickness in the novel as symbolic of her personality or intentions. Write an essay in which you consider the symbolic meaning of Zeena's sickness in the novel, and discuss its significance to the theme of the novel.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)