|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
2. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
3. Zeena's cat ____________________________.
4. Ethan knows Zeena has made plans because _____________________________________.
5. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Ethan, is responsible for the biggest change in Mattie since she arrived in Starkfield?
2. Why does Ethan find Zeena's silences unsettling?
3. Why did Ethan find it easier to put his arm around Mattie when they were outside together than when they are in his home?
4. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
5. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
6. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
7. What images might foreshadow trouble or death in the chapter?
8. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
9. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
10. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martin Luther said that "Thoughts pay no duty." Considering the difference between Ethan Frome's thoughts and his many actions of duty performed in the novel, write an essay in which you defend, refute or qualify Luther's quote using Ethan Frome as support for your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In most of the chapters in the novel, Ethan's thoughts and actions are revealed through third person characterization. Considering the third person limited point of view, write an essay identifying Ethan Frome as either a sympathetic or an unsympathetic character, and discuss the influence of the narrator on Ethan's characterization.
Essay Topic 3
Characters in Ethan Frome are faced with the manipulation and motivations of others throughout the text. Choose the character you believe is most effected by others' manipulations and motivations, and write an essay supporting your argument. Use specific examples from the text to help support your point.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)