|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
2. Most of the story takes place during which season?
3. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
4. Ethan and Mattie do not go sledding that evening because ___________________________.
5. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
Short Essay Questions
1. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
2. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
3. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
4. Why is Ethan so concerned about Zeena's behavior the previous evening?
5. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
6. Why are Ethan and Mattie continually reminded of Zeena?
7. Why does Ethan find Zeena's silences unsettling?
8. Why does Ethan mention to Mattie that he saw Ned and Ruth kissing earlier?
9. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
10. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the characters of Denis Eady, Jotham Powell, and Andrew Hale. How has each of these male characters helped or harmed Ethan in his plans to find happiness with Mattie? Write an essay in which you describe each of these male characters' influence on Ethan Frome's actions in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Many images and ideas in Ethan Frome reflect isolation and disconnection for the main characters. Considering these ideas, write an essay in which you use examples of isolation and disconnection to explore, explain, rationalize, or defend any character's actions throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does the importance of duty and appearance affect the events and theme of Ethan Frome? Write an essay in which you choose three examples from the text that suggest an event or theme is affected by duty and appearance.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)