|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(b) Zeena's renewed energy.
(c) The beauty of the day outside.
(d) The decaying state of his home.
2. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
(a) Ruth Farnum.
(b) Jotham Powell.
(c) Andrew Hale.
3. Ethan perceives Zeena's tone as __________________________.
(a) Happily vindictive.
(b) Dryly resolute.
(c) Sadly defeated.
(d) Cheerfully upbeat.
4. Before they strike the elm, Ethan has a last vision of __________________________.
(a) The cemetery by his home.
(b) His mother.
(c) Mattie's face.
(d) Zeena's face.
5. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
(a) Firing Jotham Powell so he can afford to keep Mattie.
(b) Writing down his feelings for Mattie.
(c) Selling the farm so he can follow Mattie.
(d) Writing Zeena a goodbye letter and leaving with Mattie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
2. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
3. Why does the memory of the Fromes' place cause Mrs. Hale pain?
4. Why does Ethan insist on sitting in the front of the sled?
5. What clues suggest the Fromes are very poor?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)