|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
(a) On bringing Mattie back to the Fromes' house.
(b) On bringing Mattie to the train herself.
(c) On bringing Mattie over to the Hales' to visit.
(d) On bringing Mattie her trunk so she could have her things.
2. Ethan perceives Zeena's tone as __________________________.
(a) Sadly defeated.
(b) Dryly resolute.
(c) Cheerfully upbeat.
(d) Happily vindictive.
3. Ethan finds Zeena _______________________________.
(a) Sitting by the window still in her traveling dress.
(b) Waiting by the door to confront him.
(c) Already bundled up in bed.
(d) Crying by the window.
4. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
(a) Made the room look shabby and old.
(b) Been extravagant and self-indulgent.
(c) Brought life and comfort into the bare room.
(d) Brought attention to her beauty.
5. Ethan returns home to find _____________________________________.
(a) Zeena reading a book while Mattie struggles with her heavy trunk.
(b) Zeena sick in bed while Mattie nurses her.
(c) Mattie has gone into town to seek a job.
(d) Mattie has already left for the train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
2. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
3. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
4. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
5. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from Mattie, where does Ethan continue to find inspiration and beauty?
2. Why doesn't Ethan feel he can refuse Zeena's demand to send Mattie away?
3. Why isn't Ethan prepared for Zeena's arrival when he gets home?
4. What is Zeena's true purpose in hiring a girl to take care of her and their home?
5. How do Zeena and Mattie get along after the accident?
6. Who finally takes action to determine the outcome of Ethan and Mattie's situation?
7. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
8. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
9. What is significant about Zeena's behavior that day?
10. What generally happens when Ethan tries to be dishonest?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)