|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
(a) To deliver the lumber.
(b) Caring for his horses.
(c) His own health.
(d) Caring for Zeena.
2. What surprises Mrs. Hale and her mother?
(a) The narrator's desire to talk about the Fromes.
(b) The narrator's refusal to speak of the Fromes.
(c) The narrator's risking his safety in the storm.
(d) The narrator's story of his night at the Fromes'.
3. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
(a) Two women waiting for Ethan.
(b) Only Zeena waiting for Ethan.
(c) Only Mattie waiting for Ethan.
(d) The house is dark and deserted.
4. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
(a) Inflicting pain on him.
(b) Punishing the weak.
(c) Nursing her illness.
(d) Helping others.
5. Why has no stranger set foot in the Fromes' house in twenty years?
(a) Ethan Frome is too proud to let anyone see how he lives.
(b) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of Zeena and Mattie.
(c) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of his past actions to entertain friends.
(d) Ethan Frome has grown angry and unfriendly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ethan's horse?
2. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
3. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
4. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
5. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
2. What generally happens when Ethan tries to be dishonest?
3. What is the one rebellion Ethan finally allows himself?
4. Why does Ruth Hale believe Ethan Frome suffers so badly?
5. What has given Zeena a new air of authority?
6. Why doesn't Ethan feel he can refuse Zeena's demand to send Mattie away?
7. How does Mrs. Hale suggest the Fromes in the graveyard are different from the Fromes up at the farm?
8. How do Zeena and Mattie get along after the accident?
9. Why is Ethan ashamed of his and Zeena's behavior in their room?
10. How does Ethan's perception of Zeena change during their argument?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)