|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
(b) Avoid delivering the lumber.
(c) Run into the elm tree.
(d) Arrive home before Zeena.
2. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
(a) Jotham Powell refuses to stay for dinner.
(b) Zeena demands that Mattie serve her dinner in her bed.
(c) Mattie refuses to cook dinner.
(d) Zeena refuses to allow Jotham Powell at dinner.
3. Ethan finds Mattie crying because __________________________________.
(a) She was disappointed in herself.
(b) She thought she would never see Ethan again.
(c) She was worried about taking the train.
(d) She felt guilty over stealing Zeena's belongings.
4. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
(a) Is an obstacle to his happiness.
(b) Knows their plans and waits for them.
(c) Is somehow refusing their plans.
(d) Mocks him.
5. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
(a) Caring for Zeena.
(b) Caring for his horses.
(c) To deliver the lumber.
(d) His own health.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
2. Why does the memory of the Fromes' place cause Mrs. Hale pain?
3. Before they strike the elm, Ethan has a last vision of __________________________.
4. For Ethan, Zeena personifies ______________________________-.
5. Ethan and Jotham put off their trip into town because ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ethan once again annoyed by Denis Eady in Chapter 6?
2. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
3. What does Zeena's continued good mood show about her character?
4. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
5. What is Zeena's true purpose in hiring a girl to take care of her and their home?
6. Why does Ruth Hale believe Ethan Frome suffers so badly?
7. Describe Mattie as the narrator sees her.
8. How do Zeena and Mattie get along after the accident?
9. What inspires Ethan to try to leave Zeena?
10. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)