|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
2. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
(a) Punishing the weak.
(b) Nursing her illness.
(c) Inflicting pain on him.
(d) Helping others.
3. As he prepares the sorrel, Ethan remembers ______________________________.
(a) The day his mother died.
(b) The day he returned to Starkfield.
(c) The day he first brought Zeena home.
(d) The day he drove to the station to meet Mattie.
4. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
(a) Build a second bedroom.
(b) Send Mattie away.
(c) Borrow money.
(d) Refuse to pay Mattie's wages.
5. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The tree trunks are slippery.
(b) The tree trunks keep breaking.
(c) The wagon is too short to carry them.
(d) The logs are frozen together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before they strike the elm, Ethan has a last vision of __________________________.
2. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
3. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
4. After the sled accident, Mattie _____________________________________.
5. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What prevents Jotham from staying for dinner as he usually does, and why does this bother Ethan?
2. Why doesn't Ethan feel he can refuse Zeena's demand to send Mattie away?
3. Why does Ruth Hale believe Ethan Frome suffers so badly?
4. Who finally takes action to determine the outcome of Ethan and Mattie's situation?
5. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
6. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
7. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
8. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
9. Aside from Mattie, where does Ethan continue to find inspiration and beauty?
10. How does Ethan's perception of Zeena change during their argument?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)