|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
(a) Refuse to pay Mattie's wages.
(b) Borrow money.
(c) Send Mattie away.
(d) Build a second bedroom.
2. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
(a) Been extravagant and self-indulgent.
(b) Brought life and comfort into the bare room.
(c) Made the room look shabby and old.
(d) Brought attention to her beauty.
3. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
(a) Ethan's bankruptcy.
(b) An unhappy reunion with Zeena.
(c) The death of Ethan's horses.
(d) Mattie's rejection of Ethan.
4. What word does Zeena use to describe the state of her health?
(a) She says she has complications.
(b) She says she has troubles.
(c) She says she has tremors.
(d) She says she has vapors.
5. Why has no stranger set foot in the Fromes' house in twenty years?
(a) Ethan Frome has grown angry and unfriendly.
(b) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of his past actions to entertain friends.
(c) Ethan Frome is too proud to let anyone see how he lives.
(d) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of Zeena and Mattie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ethan's horse?
2. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
3. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
4. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
5. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might the weather foreshadow about Ethan's plans for the day?
2. Why does Ethan perceive himself as impotent in his situation?
3. What is significant about Zeena's behavior that day?
4. What is Zeena's true purpose in hiring a girl to take care of her and their home?
5. What does Ethan claim about the state of his marriage in the letter to Zeena, and what does this show about Ethan's character?
6. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
7. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
8. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
9. What generally happens when Ethan tries to be dishonest?
10. What inspires Ethan to try to leave Zeena?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)