|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
2. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
(a) Selling the farm so he can follow Mattie.
(b) Firing Jotham Powell so he can afford to keep Mattie.
(c) Writing Zeena a goodbye letter and leaving with Mattie.
(d) Writing down his feelings for Mattie.
3. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
4. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
(a) Brought attention to her beauty.
(b) Been extravagant and self-indulgent.
(c) Brought life and comfort into the bare room.
(d) Made the room look shabby and old.
5. Why does the memory of the Fromes' place cause Mrs. Hale pain?
(a) Mrs. Hale remembers living with the Fromes briefly before her marriage.
(b) Mrs. Hale remembers Zeena throwing parties.
(c) Mrs. Hale remembers when the house was well-kept by Ethan's mother.
(d) Mrs. Hale remembers Mattie keeping the house clean.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the accident, Ethan thinks he hears _____________________________.
2. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
3. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
4. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
5. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ethan perceive himself as impotent in his situation?
2. What has given Zeena a new air of authority?
3. What does Ethan claim about the state of his marriage in the letter to Zeena, and what does this show about Ethan's character?
4. What clues does Ethan have that Zeena's return will not be a pleasant one?
5. Why doesn't Ethan feel he can refuse Zeena's demand to send Mattie away?
6. How do Zeena and Mattie get along after the accident?
7. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
8. Aside from Mattie, where does Ethan continue to find inspiration and beauty?
9. How does Ethan's perception of Zeena change during their argument?
10. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)