|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan invites Jotham to dinner because _______________________________________.
(a) He wants a neutral presence there since Zeena has returned.
(b) He knows Zeena will not ask about money with Jotham there.
(c) He needs to talk to Jotham about his work.
(d) He wants an objective observer to hear Zeena's health complaints.
2. What new clues indicate Zeena's continued satisfaction over her victory?
(a) She is eats well and treats Jotham Powell with kindness.
(b) She is kind and affectionate to Ethan.
(c) She apologizes to Mattie for her earlier behavior.
(d) She declares that Mattie can keep the red pickle dish.
3. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
(a) She claims he needs to fix the stove in his study.
(b) She claims she is feeling her sickness coming on again.
(c) She claims Mattie does not want him to drive her.
(d) She claims he needs to fix the stove in Mattie's room.
4. For Ethan, Zeena personifies ______________________________-.
(a) All his failures and humiliations.
(b) His love and support.
(c) All his triumphs and successes.
(d) His dishonesty and treachery.
5. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
(a) His own health.
(b) Caring for Zeena.
(c) Caring for his horses.
(d) To deliver the lumber.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ethan sees Zeena he is moved by what emotion?
2. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
3. Why has no stranger set foot in the Fromes' house in twenty years?
4. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
5. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ethan ashamed of his and Zeena's behavior in their room?
2. Aside from Mattie, where does Ethan continue to find inspiration and beauty?
3. What might the weather foreshadow about Ethan's plans for the day?
4. What prevents Jotham from staying for dinner as he usually does, and why does this bother Ethan?
5. What generally happens when Ethan tries to be dishonest?
6. Why does Ethan perceive himself as impotent in his situation?
7. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
8. What are Ethan and Mattie finally free to speak about openly now that Mattie is leaving?
9. How do Zeena and Mattie get along after the accident?
10. What does Zeena spend her time doing since the accident?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)