|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
(a) Mattie proposes they drive Zeena away.
(b) Mattie proposes they leave together, even without any money.
(c) Mattie proposes they sled into the elm tree, killing themselves.
(d) Mattie proposes they visit one another.
2. Why has Mattie's disposition changed over the years?
(a) She has suffered too much, and that has caused her to "sour."
(b) She has come to wish for her own death.
(c) She has come to resent Ethan for his part in the accident.
(d) She has grown fond of Zeena.
3. Ethan's defeat is reflected in his ________________________________________________.
(a) Disappointment in the images of nature around him.
(b) Disappointment in Starkfield.
(c) Disappointment in Mattie's attitude.
(d) Disappointment in Zeena's personality.
4. Who, from the description Wharton offers, appears to be the healthier of the women?
(b) The hired girl.
(c) Ruth Varnum.
5. Ethan finds Mattie crying because __________________________________.
(a) She thought she would never see Ethan again.
(b) She felt guilty over stealing Zeena's belongings.
(c) She was worried about taking the train.
(d) She was disappointed in herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
2. What word does Zeena use to describe the state of her health?
3. Who has been worrying about the narrator's safety?
4. How does Zeena reply to Mattie's remarks?
5. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)