|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
(a) Ethan's lie that he had loved Zeena when they were first married.
(b) Zeena's lie about needing to see another doctor.
(c) Ethan's lie that he needed to collect money from Andrew Hale.
(d) Mattie's lie about planning to be married.
2. Why has Mattie's disposition changed over the years?
(a) She has come to wish for her own death.
(b) She has suffered too much, and that has caused her to "sour."
(c) She has grown fond of Zeena.
(d) She has come to resent Ethan for his part in the accident.
3. Zeena objects to doctors' suggestions ___________________________.
(a) That she have an operation.
(b) That she move to a warmer climate.
(c) That she have a psychological examination.
(d) That she has any sort of illness.
4. Why has no stranger set foot in the Fromes' house in twenty years?
(a) Ethan Frome is too proud to let anyone see how he lives.
(b) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of Zeena and Mattie.
(c) Ethan Frome has grown angry and unfriendly.
(d) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of his past actions to entertain friends.
5. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
(a) He can enjoy his last moments alone with Mattie before Zeena arrives.
(b) He can avoid seeing Zeena in town.
(c) He can send Jotham can go home early.
(d) He can serve Mattie instead of having her serve him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
2. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
3. Ethan finds that Zeena's refusal to eat is usually followed by ___________________________________.
4. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
5. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Zeena and Mattie get along after the accident?
2. Who finally takes action to determine the outcome of Ethan and Mattie's situation?
3. What are Ethan and Mattie finally free to speak about openly now that Mattie is leaving?
4. Why doesn't Ethan feel he can refuse Zeena's demand to send Mattie away?
5. How does Ethan's perception of Zeena change during their argument?
6. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
7. Describe Mattie as the narrator sees her.
8. What inspires Ethan to try to leave Zeena?
9. What generally happens when Ethan tries to be dishonest?
10. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)