|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Fromes down in the graveyard.
(b) The Fromes of earlier centuries.
(c) The Puritans.
(d) The Fromes from a neighboring town.
2. Mattie's note to Ethan reads ___________________________.
(a) Don't trouble, Ethan.
(b) Don't try to find me, Ethan.
(c) I'm leaving, Ethan.
(d) I'm sorry, Ethan.
3. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
4. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
(a) Mattie's rejection of Ethan.
(b) An unhappy reunion with Zeena.
(c) Ethan's bankruptcy.
(d) The death of Ethan's horses.
5. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Zeena use to describe the state of her health?
2. The sled allows Ethan a feeling of ________________.
3. According to Ruth Hale, who suffers most at the Fromes' house?
4. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
5. After the accident, the town ___________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeena spend her time doing since the accident?
2. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
3. What does Ethan claim about the state of his marriage in the letter to Zeena, and what does this show about Ethan's character?
4. What clues does Ethan have that Zeena's return will not be a pleasant one?
5. Why is Ethan ashamed of his and Zeena's behavior in their room?
6. What are Ethan and Mattie finally free to speak about openly now that Mattie is leaving?
7. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
8. What prevents Jotham from staying for dinner as he usually does, and why does this bother Ethan?
9. What is Zeena's true purpose in hiring a girl to take care of her and their home?
10. Why does Ruth Hale believe Ethan Frome suffers so badly?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)