|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they are alone outside together, Ethan tells Mattie __________________________________.
(a) That he will drive her to the train himself.
(b) That he will send her trunk along after she is settled somewhere.
(c) That Zeena knows all about their love for each other.
(d) That he will never see her again after tonight.
2. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
(a) Before it gets dark.
(b) Before Mr. Hale can find out Ethan is looking for him.
(c) Before Mr. Hale has left for work.
(d) Before Zeena knows he has left the house.
3. Ethan perceives Zeena's tone as __________________________.
(a) Dryly resolute.
(b) Sadly defeated.
(c) Happily vindictive.
(d) Cheerfully upbeat.
4. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
(a) The sorrel is not in the barn, so he believes they have not arrived.
(b) Jotham Powell hides the sorrel until Ehtan goes into the house.
(c) Mattie tells him they are still alone together.
(d) Zeena tells Jotham to put the sorrel away where Ethan will not see it.
5. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
(a) Mattie does not like the room to be kept warm.
(b) Ethan cannot afford firewood.
(c) Zeena refused to light it until Ethan got home.
(d) Zeena fell asleep all afternoon and did not tend the fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
2. How has Zeena changed since the accident?
3. In his anguish, Ethan finds the nerve to _____________________.
4. Ethan finds that Zeena's refusal to eat is usually followed by ___________________________________.
5. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeena's continued good mood show about her character?
2. Why does Ruth Hale believe Ethan Frome suffers so badly?
3. What inspires Ethan to try to leave Zeena?
4. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
5. Why doesn't Ethan feel he can refuse Zeena's demand to send Mattie away?
6. Why does Ethan perceive himself as impotent in his situation?
7. How do Zeena and Mattie get along after the accident?
8. Describe Mattie as the narrator sees her.
9. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
10. Aside from Mattie, where does Ethan continue to find inspiration and beauty?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)