|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Mattie's disposition changed over the years?
(a) She has suffered too much, and that has caused her to "sour."
(b) She has come to resent Ethan for his part in the accident.
(c) She has come to wish for her own death.
(d) She has grown fond of Zeena.
2. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
(a) Mattie proposes they sled into the elm tree, killing themselves.
(b) Mattie proposes they drive Zeena away.
(c) Mattie proposes they leave together, even without any money.
(d) Mattie proposes they visit one another.
3. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
(a) Two women waiting for Ethan.
(b) The house is dark and deserted.
(c) Only Zeena waiting for Ethan.
(d) Only Mattie waiting for Ethan.
4. Why does Ethan insist on sitting in the front of the sled?
(a) He wants to feel Mattie's arms around him.
(b) He wants to be able to steer the sled.
(c) He wants to feel the air in his face.
(d) He wants to absorb the shock when they hit the elm.
5. Wharton describes Ethan's mood as ________________________.
(a) Irrationally happy.
(b) Cautiously optimistic.
(c) Hesitantly happy.
(d) Irrationally fearful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
2. Ethan finds Mattie crying because __________________________________.
3. Ethan's defeat is reflected in his ________________________________________________.
4. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
5. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
2. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
3. Who finally takes action to determine the outcome of Ethan and Mattie's situation?
4. What does Zeena's continued good mood show about her character?
5. Aside from Mattie, where does Ethan continue to find inspiration and beauty?
6. Why is Ethan ashamed of his and Zeena's behavior in their room?
7. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
8. Why does Ethan perceive himself as impotent in his situation?
9. What is significant about Zeena's behavior that day?
10. What prevents Jotham from staying for dinner as he usually does, and why does this bother Ethan?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)