|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
(a) She must leave the following day.
(b) He will be leaving with her the following day.
(c) She must be married as soon as possible.
(d) He has never loved Zeena.
2. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
(b) Andrew Hale.
(c) Jotham Powell.
(d) Ruth Farnum.
3. The sled allows Ethan a feeling of ________________.
4. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(b) The decaying state of his home.
(c) The beauty of the day outside.
(d) Zeena's renewed energy.
5. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
(a) He uses wood glue from his shed to fix the dish.
(b) He throws the dish away.
(c) He buys it at another store.
(d) He uses flour paste to fix the dish.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
2. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
3. Ethan finds that Zeena's refusal to eat is usually followed by ___________________________________.
4. As he prepares the sorrel, Ethan remembers ______________________________.
5. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Ethan and Mattie finally free to speak about openly now that Mattie is leaving?
2. What is significant about Zeena's behavior that day?
3. What does Ethan claim about the state of his marriage in the letter to Zeena, and what does this show about Ethan's character?
4. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
5. Aside from Mattie, where does Ethan continue to find inspiration and beauty?
6. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
7. What clues does Ethan have that Zeena's return will not be a pleasant one?
8. Describe Mattie as the narrator sees her.
9. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
10. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)