|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan finds that Zeena's refusal to eat is usually followed by ___________________________________.
(a) An increase in her symptoms.
(b) Her refusal to speak to him.
(c) Her coming down to supper anyway.
(d) Her remaining in bed for several days.
2. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
(a) The death of Ethan's horses.
(b) Mattie's rejection of Ethan.
(c) Ethan's bankruptcy.
(d) An unhappy reunion with Zeena.
3. Ethan needs to go into town to run what errand?
(a) He needs to pick up the hired girl from the train station.
(b) He needs to pick up Zeena's medicine.
(c) He needs to buy a new dish for Zeena.
(d) He needs to buy glue to fix the pickle dish.
4. Ethan's defeat is reflected in his ________________________________________________.
(a) Disappointment in Starkfield.
(b) Disappointment in Mattie's attitude.
(c) Disappointment in Zeena's personality.
(d) Disappointment in the images of nature around him.
5. As he prepares the sorrel, Ethan remembers ______________________________.
(a) The day his mother died.
(b) The day he drove to the station to meet Mattie.
(c) The day he returned to Starkfield.
(d) The day he first brought Zeena home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
2. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
3. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
4. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
5. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ethan ashamed of his and Zeena's behavior in their room?
2. What does Ethan claim about the state of his marriage in the letter to Zeena, and what does this show about Ethan's character?
3. Why does Ruth Hale believe Ethan Frome suffers so badly?
4. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
5. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
6. What generally happens when Ethan tries to be dishonest?
7. Why doesn't Ethan feel he can refuse Zeena's demand to send Mattie away?
8. What is significant about Zeena's behavior that day?
9. What has given Zeena a new air of authority?
10. How does Ethan's perception of Zeena change during their argument?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)