|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
(b) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
(c) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
(d) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
2. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
(a) She claims he needs to fix the stove in his study.
(b) She claims she is feeling her sickness coming on again.
(c) She claims he needs to fix the stove in Mattie's room.
(d) She claims Mattie does not want him to drive her.
3. Who has been worrying about the narrator's safety?
(a) Zeena Frome.
(b) Ethan Frome.
(c) Ruth Varnum Hale.
(d) Mattie Silver.
4. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
(a) Ethan's bankruptcy.
(b) An unhappy reunion with Zeena.
(c) Mattie's rejection of Ethan.
(d) The death of Ethan's horses.
5. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
(a) He had to move the stove to Mattie's room, so the study has no heat.
(b) Zeena uses it for storage.
(c) Zeena uses it as a sewing room in the winter.
(d) It faces the sunlight in the west.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeena reply to Mattie's remarks?
2. When Ethan sees Zeena he is moved by what emotion?
3. For Ethan, Zeena personifies ______________________________-.
4. Ethan finds Zeena _______________________________.
5. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hale suggest the Fromes in the graveyard are different from the Fromes up at the farm?
2. What is Zeena's true purpose in hiring a girl to take care of her and their home?
3. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
4. Why does Ruth Hale believe Ethan Frome suffers so badly?
5. What is significant about Zeena's behavior that day?
6. Why is Ethan ashamed of his and Zeena's behavior in their room?
7. What has given Zeena a new air of authority?
8. What generally happens when Ethan tries to be dishonest?
9. What is the one rebellion Ethan finally allows himself?
10. Why isn't Ethan prepared for Zeena's arrival when he gets home?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)