|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the accident, Ethan thinks he hears _____________________________.
(a) Zeena calling him home.
(b) A wounded animal crying.
(c) A bird singing.
(d) Mattie calling for him.
2. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
(a) Mattie does not know she has to leave.
(b) Zeena was lying about hiring another girl.
(c) Mattie will be better off with her relatives.
(d) Zeena might change her mind about Mattie leaving.
3. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
(a) Goes to visit Jotham Powell.
(b) Goes to the train station.
(c) Goes home.
(d) Hides out in the barn.
4. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
(a) Borrow money.
(b) Refuse to pay Mattie's wages.
(c) Build a second bedroom.
(d) Send Mattie away.
5. Wharton describes Ethan's mood as ________________________.
(a) Hesitantly happy.
(b) Cautiously optimistic.
(c) Irrationally happy.
(d) Irrationally fearful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
2. Ethan believes Mattie understands ________________________________.
3. Ethan finds Mattie crying because __________________________________.
4. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
5. What surprises Mrs. Hale and her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues does Ethan have that Zeena's return will not be a pleasant one?
2. What might the weather foreshadow about Ethan's plans for the day?
3. How does Ethan's perception of Zeena change during their argument?
4. What is the one rebellion Ethan finally allows himself?
5. What does Zeena's continued good mood show about her character?
6. How is Ethan once again annoyed by Denis Eady in Chapter 6?
7. Why is Ethan ashamed of his and Zeena's behavior in their room?
8. Why does Ruth Hale believe Ethan Frome suffers so badly?
9. Describe Mattie as the narrator sees her.
10. Why isn't Ethan prepared for Zeena's arrival when he gets home?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)