|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the memory of the Fromes' place cause Mrs. Hale pain?
(a) Mrs. Hale remembers when the house was well-kept by Ethan's mother.
(b) Mrs. Hale remembers Mattie keeping the house clean.
(c) Mrs. Hale remembers living with the Fromes briefly before her marriage.
(d) Mrs. Hale remembers Zeena throwing parties.
2. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
(a) Mattie tells him they are still alone together.
(b) The sorrel is not in the barn, so he believes they have not arrived.
(c) Zeena tells Jotham to put the sorrel away where Ethan will not see it.
(d) Jotham Powell hides the sorrel until Ehtan goes into the house.
3. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
(a) Mattie will be better off with her relatives.
(b) Zeena was lying about hiring another girl.
(c) Zeena might change her mind about Mattie leaving.
(d) Mattie does not know she has to leave.
4. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
(a) Missing household items.
(b) Some of Mattie's recipes.
(c) More broken dishes.
(d) Ethan's behavior.
5. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
(a) Eady's store is not open.
(b) Denis cannot find it.
(c) Eady's wife would report it to Zeena.
(d) Denis refuses to sell it to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the sled accident, Mattie _____________________________________.
2. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
3. Zeena objects to doctors' suggestions ___________________________.
4. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
5. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Ethan prepared for Zeena's arrival when he gets home?
2. What generally happens when Ethan tries to be dishonest?
3. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
4. Why does Ruth Hale believe Ethan Frome suffers so badly?
5. What does Zeena spend her time doing since the accident?
6. What does Zeena's continued good mood show about her character?
7. What are Ethan and Mattie finally free to speak about openly now that Mattie is leaving?
8. Why does Ethan perceive himself as impotent in his situation?
9. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
10. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)