|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
(a) A library.
(b) A study.
(c) A storage room.
(d) A laboratory
2. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
(a) Zeena uses it for storage.
(b) It faces the sunlight in the west.
(c) He had to move the stove to Mattie's room, so the study has no heat.
(d) Zeena uses it as a sewing room in the winter.
3. How has Zeena changed since the accident?
(a) Zeena feels responsible for the accident, and this exaggerates her illness.
(b) Zeena has grown affectionate and loving with Ethan.
(c) Zeena has gained strength and now cares for Ethan and Mattie.
(d) Zeena has grown quiet like Ethan's mother.
4. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
(a) Mattie's room and board.
(b) Mattie's future employment.
(c) Mattie's trunk.
(d) Mattie's financial obligations.
5. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(b) The decaying state of his home.
(c) Zeena's renewed energy.
(d) The beauty of the day outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, from the description Wharton offers, appears to be the healthier of the women?
2. The sled allows Ethan a feeling of ________________.
3. Why does Ethan insist on sitting in the front of the sled?
4. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
5. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ethan once again annoyed by Denis Eady in Chapter 6?
2. What might the weather foreshadow about Ethan's plans for the day?
3. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
4. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
5. How does Mrs. Hale suggest the Fromes in the graveyard are different from the Fromes up at the farm?
6. What does Zeena's continued good mood show about her character?
7. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
8. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
9. What does Ethan claim about the state of his marriage in the letter to Zeena, and what does this show about Ethan's character?
10. Aside from Mattie, where does Ethan continue to find inspiration and beauty?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)