|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clues suggest the Fromes are very poor?
(a) The broken dishes and poor furnishings.
(b) The skinny women and the lack of shelter.
(c) The lack of food and fire.
(d) Their refusal to offer the narrator food or shelter.
2. What pleasure do Mattie and Ethan allow themselves before the train comes?
(a) They walk into town.
(b) They have coffee together.
(c) They write each other goodbye letters.
(d) They go sledding.
3. Ethan invites Jotham to dinner because _______________________________________.
(a) He wants an objective observer to hear Zeena's health complaints.
(b) He wants a neutral presence there since Zeena has returned.
(c) He needs to talk to Jotham about his work.
(d) He knows Zeena will not ask about money with Jotham there.
4. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
(a) Is somehow refusing their plans.
(b) Mocks him.
(c) Knows their plans and waits for them.
(d) Is an obstacle to his happiness.
5. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
(a) They clean up the room for the hired girl.
(b) They carry Zeena out ot the sleigh.
(c) They carry Mattie's trunk out to the sleigh.
(d) They carry Zeena's rocking chair over to the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
2. Why does Ethan insist on sitting in the front of the sled?
3. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
4. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
5. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ethan's perception of Zeena change during their argument?
2. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
3. What might the weather foreshadow about Ethan's plans for the day?
4. Describe Mattie as the narrator sees her.
5. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
6. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
7. What is Zeena's true purpose in hiring a girl to take care of her and their home?
8. What is the one rebellion Ethan finally allows himself?
9. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
10. What does Zeena spend her time doing since the accident?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)