|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
(a) The sorrel is not in the barn, so he believes they have not arrived.
(b) Jotham Powell hides the sorrel until Ehtan goes into the house.
(c) Zeena tells Jotham to put the sorrel away where Ethan will not see it.
(d) Mattie tells him they are still alone together.
2. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
(a) He throws the dish away.
(b) He uses flour paste to fix the dish.
(c) He buys it at another store.
(d) He uses wood glue from his shed to fix the dish.
3. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Puritans.
(b) The Fromes from a neighboring town.
(c) The Fromes of earlier centuries.
(d) The Fromes down in the graveyard.
4. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) The decaying state of his home.
(b) Zeena's renewed energy.
(c) The beauty of the day outside.
(d) Denis Eady and his young friends.
5. Ethan and Jotham put off their trip into town because ________________________.
(a) The roads were melting and muddy.
(b) The roads were icy.
(c) A heavy snow was falling.
(d) The roads were flooded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
2. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
3. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
4. Who, from the description Wharton offers, appears to be the healthier of the women?
5. Why does Mrs. Hale only visit the Fromes twice a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ethan and Mattie wish for, rather than living apart?
2. What might the weather foreshadow about Ethan's plans for the day?
3. How is Ethan once again annoyed by Denis Eady in Chapter 6?
4. What inspires Ethan to try to leave Zeena?
5. Who finally takes action to determine the outcome of Ethan and Mattie's situation?
6. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
7. What reason does Ethan give Mattie for Zeena sending her away?
8. How does Ethan's perception of Zeena change during their argument?
9. What is significant about Zeena's behavior that day?
10. Why does Ethan perceive himself as impotent in his situation?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)