|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ethan sees Zeena he is moved by what emotion?
2. What pleasure do Mattie and Ethan allow themselves before the train comes?
(a) They go sledding.
(b) They walk into town.
(c) They have coffee together.
(d) They write each other goodbye letters.
3. Ethan's defeat is reflected in his ________________________________________________.
(a) Disappointment in Mattie's attitude.
(b) Disappointment in Starkfield.
(c) Disappointment in Zeena's personality.
(d) Disappointment in the images of nature around him.
4. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
(a) Knows their plans and waits for them.
(b) Mocks him.
(c) Is somehow refusing their plans.
(d) Is an obstacle to his happiness.
5. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
2. After the sled accident, Mattie _____________________________________.
3. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
4. Why has Mattie's disposition changed over the years?
5. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mattie as the narrator sees her.
2. Why is Mattie forced to move her trunk by herself until Ethan comes to help her?
3. Who finally takes action to determine the outcome of Ethan and Mattie's situation?
4. Why is Ethan ashamed of his and Zeena's behavior in their room?
5. Aside from Mattie, where does Ethan continue to find inspiration and beauty?
6. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
7. What is significant about Zeena's behavior that day?
8. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
9. What is Zeena's true purpose in hiring a girl to take care of her and their home?
10. How does Mrs. Hale suggest the Fromes in the graveyard are different from the Fromes up at the farm?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)