|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
(a) Voices in her head.
(b) The television.
(c) Voices from the cemetery.
(d) The radio.
2. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
(a) A spark of curiosity.
(b) A spark of sociability.
(c) A spark of industry.
(d) A spark of life.
3. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
(a) She never trusts what the doctors say.
(b) They cost so much.
(c) He does not believe she is sick.
(d) She returns sicker than she was when she left.
4. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(b) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
(c) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(d) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
5. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
(a) Knowing he had deceived Zeena.
(b) Quelling Mattie's fears over the broken pickle dish.
(c) Giving Mattie orders.
(d) Building a fire and cleaning up the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
2. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
3. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
4. Who visited Mattie while Ethan was away during the day?
5. What is happening at the church at midnight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ethan and Zeena as they fall asleep at night.
2. Why is Ethan ashamed of his and Zeena's behavior in their room?
3. Why has Zeena stayed up waiting for Ethan and Mattie?
4. Describe Zeena Frome.
5. What does Zeena's continued good mood show about her character?
6. What is the atmosphere between Ethan and Mattie like after dinner?
7. How do Zeena and Mattie get along after the accident?
8. Why is Ethan so concerned about Zeena's behavior the previous evening?
9. What does Zeena spend her time doing since the accident?
10. Describe Mattie as the narrator sees her.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)