|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Ned and Ruth.
(b) Ethan and Zeena.
(c) Mattie and Denis.
(d) Jothan and Mattie.
2. What is happening at the church at midnight?
(a) Christmas Eve is being celebrated.
(b) A town meeting is taking place.
(c) The church social is taking place.
(d) The church services are taking place.
3. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
(a) If she would like to go coasting some night.
(b) If she wants to continue working for him.
(c) If she would like to leave Starkfield with him.
(d) If she loves him.
4. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
5. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
(a) She is growing old.
(b) She will never find love in Starkfield.
(c) She is not strong enough to take care of Zeena.
(d) She will be sent away from the Fromes with no other place to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
2. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
3. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
4. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
5. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
2. What does Ethan enjoy sharing with Mattie that he cannot share with Zeena?
3. Why is Ethan concerned about Zeena's behavior toward himself and Mattie?
4. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
5. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
6. What is the atmosphere between Ethan and Mattie like after dinner?
7. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
8. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
9. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
10. What does Ethan allow himself to fantasize about during his walk home with Mattie?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)