|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
(a) She feels threatened by the townspeople and is afraid to leave the house.
(b) She loves the town and its people.
(c) She loves the farm life.
(d) She feels superior to the townspeople, and this gives her comfort.
2. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
(a) Getting caught holding Mattie when Zeena opened the door.
(b) Kissing Mattie.
(c) Not leaving Zeena long ago.
(d) Not kissing Mattie.
3. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
(b) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
(c) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
(d) He cannot run the farm without her help.
4. Most of the story takes place during which season?
5. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
(a) Denis Eady.
(b) Lawyer Varnum.
(c) Andrew Hale.
(d) Jothan Powell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
2. Mattie confesses her fear that ____________________________.
3. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
4. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
5. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zeena traveling to Bettsbridge?
2. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
3. Why does Ruth Hale believe Ethan Frome suffers so badly?
4. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
5. What is Ethan's attitude toward Denis Eady? Why?
6. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
7. What does Ethan claim about the state of his marriage in the letter to Zeena, and what does this show about Ethan's character?
8. Why does Ethan perceive himself as impotent in his situation?
9. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
10. What prevents Jotham from staying for dinner as he usually does, and why does this bother Ethan?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)