|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
(a) Hale gets angry and asks Ethan to leave.
(b) Hale guesses that Ethan has lied to Zeena about money.
(c) Hale suggests that Ethan work for him.
(d) Hale claims money is too tight for him at the moment.
2. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
(a) If she wants to continue working for him.
(b) If she would like to leave Starkfield with him.
(c) If she would like to go coasting some night.
(d) If she loves him.
3. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) His father's death.
(c) His father's bankruptcy.
(d) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
4. How is the pickle dish broken?
(a) The dog knocks it off the table.
(b) Mattie knocks it off the table.
(c) Ethan knocks it off the table.
(d) The cat knocks it off the table.
5. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
(a) She returns sicker than she was when she left.
(b) He does not believe she is sick.
(c) She never trusts what the doctors say.
(d) They cost so much.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
2. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
3. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
4. Mattie confesses her fear that ____________________________.
5. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Ethan and Mattie continually reminded of Zeena?
2. Describe Zeena Frome.
3. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
4. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
5. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
6. What does Ethan allow himself to fantasize about during his walk home with Mattie?
7. What is Ethan's attitude toward Denis Eady? Why?
8. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
9. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
10. What images might foreshadow trouble or death in the chapter?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)