|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most of the story takes place during which season?
2. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
(a) Societal oppression.
(b) Confusion of reality.
(c) Zeena's ghost.
(d) The threat of death.
3. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
(a) Mattie is in love with Ethan.
(b) Mattie has her sights set on marriage.
(c) Mattie can live rent-free with Zeena and Ethan.
(d) Mattie has no other place to go.
4. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
(a) They cost so much.
(b) She never trusts what the doctors say.
(c) She returns sicker than she was when she left.
(d) He does not believe she is sick.
5. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) His mother's suggestion that he get married.
(c) His father's death.
(d) His father's bankruptcy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
2. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
3. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
4. What is happening at the church at midnight?
5. Ethan looks forward to the walks to meet Mattie because ______________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ethan find it easier to put his arm around Mattie when they were outside together than when they are in his home?
2. Describe Zeena Frome.
3. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
4. What is the atmosphere between Ethan and Mattie like after dinner?
5. Describe Ethan and Zeena as they fall asleep at night.
6. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
7. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
8. What does Ethan allow himself to fantasize about during his walk home with Mattie?
9. In what way does Ethan finally attempt a physical connection between himself and Mattie?
10. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)