|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
(a) Haunted houses.
2. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
(a) Ethan insists they help Mattie.
(b) Zeena's doctor has recommended she get help with the housework.
(c) Zeena refuses to do housework now that she is married.
(d) Zeena feels compassion for Mattie's position.
3. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
(a) To steady her as they walk.
(b) To show her his intentions.
(c) To demonstrate his ownership of her to Denis Eady.
(d) To console her.
4. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Mattie and Denis.
(b) Jothan and Mattie.
(c) Ethan and Zeena.
(d) Ned and Ruth.
5. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The promise of continuance and stability.
(b) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
(c) The threat of death.
(d) The threat of stagnancy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena's family gave Mattie ____________________________.
2. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
3. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
4. Lying in bed the previous night, Ethan regretted __________________________.
5. Wharton compares Mattie's hair to "a drift of mist on the moon," which suggests ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
2. What does Ethan enjoy sharing with Mattie that he cannot share with Zeena?
3. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
4. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
5. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
6. Why is Ethan so concerned about Zeena's behavior the previous evening?
7. Describe Ethan and Zeena as they fall asleep at night.
8. Why does Ethan mention to Mattie that he saw Ned and Ruth kissing earlier?
9. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
10. Why does Ethan find Zeena's silences unsettling?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)