|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
(b) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(c) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
(d) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
2. Because Ethan is too afraid to touch Mattie, he settles for _______________________________.
(a) Kissing the cat on the head.
(b) Pressing his cheek against hers.
(c) Holding her hands while they talk.
(d) Kissing the fabric she is sewing.
3. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
(a) Only twenty-five years old.
(b) Only twenty-eight years old.
(c) Only twenty-seven years old.
(d) Only thirty-five years old.
4. Ethan dreads Zeena's trips to the doctor because _____________________________.
(a) He does not believe she is sick.
(b) She returns sicker than she was when she left.
(c) She never trusts what the doctors say.
(d) They cost so much.
5. Ethan returns home early because ___________________________________________.
(a) He is afraid there will be trouble between Mattie and Zeena.
(b) He is afraid to face Mr. Hale and ask for money.
(c) He cannot get the horses to town safely.
(d) He is afraid Jotham Powell will suspect his love for Mattie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
2. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
3. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
4. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
5. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
2. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
3. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
4. Why is Zeena traveling to Bettsbridge?
5. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
6. Describe Zeena Frome.
7. Describe Ethan and Zeena as they fall asleep at night.
8. Why has Zeena stayed up waiting for Ethan and Mattie?
9. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
10. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)