|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) He cannot run the farm without her help.
(b) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
(c) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
(d) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
2. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
(b) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(c) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(d) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
3. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
(b) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
(c) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
(d) Eady is a known gold digger.
4. Who visited Mattie while Ethan was away during the day?
(a) Jotham Powell.
(b) Andrew Hale.
(c) Denis Eady.
(d) Daniel Byrne.
5. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
(a) He is waiting to see if she is going to ride home with her friends.
(b) He is waiting to see if she will accept Eady's marriage proposal.
(c) He is afraid to enter the church because he does not know anyone.
(d) He does not know where Mattie is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
2. What is happening at the church at midnight?
3. When Ethan asks Andrew Hale for money, __________________________________________.
4. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
5. Zeena's family is offended by Mattie's father because _______________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
2. Why is Zeena traveling to Bettsbridge?
3. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
4. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
5. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
6. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
7. What images might foreshadow trouble or death in the chapter?
8. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
9. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
10. Describe Ethan and Zeena as they fall asleep at night.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)