|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
2. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Mattie and Denis.
(b) Ned and Ruth.
(c) Jothan and Mattie.
(d) Ethan and Zeena.
3. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(b) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(c) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
(d) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
4. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
(a) The chance to discuss business among men.
(b) The chance to study astronomy.
(c) Dances where he might meet girls.
(d) Friendly interactions with his classmates.
5. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(b) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(c) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(d) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Ethan warms himself by the stove, Mattie _______________________.
2. Zeena believes Mattie will leave soon because ______________________________.
3. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
4. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
5. With Mattie, Ethan feels ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ethan concerned about Zeena's behavior toward himself and Mattie?
2. Describe Mattie as the narrator sees her.
3. What is the atmosphere between Ethan and Mattie like after dinner?
4. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
5. What is significant about Zeena's behavior that day?
6. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
7. Why are Ethan and Mattie continually reminded of Zeena?
8. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
9. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
10. In what way would Ethan have "lived" if Mattie had died, according to Mrs. Hale?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)