|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
(b) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(c) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
(d) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
2. Ethan is intimidated by Michael Eady because _________________________.
(a) Eady is successful and flirtatious.
(b) Eady is bigger and stronger than Ethan.
(c) Eady is more handsome than Ethan.
(d) Eady is a known gold digger.
3. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
(a) He is afraid to enter the church because he does not know anyone.
(b) He is waiting to see if she will accept Eady's marriage proposal.
(c) He is waiting to see if she is going to ride home with her friends.
(d) He does not know where Mattie is.
4. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
(a) He does not want Mattie to see him show kindness to Zeena.
(b) He does not want Mattie to be left downstairs alone.
(c) He does not want to give in to Zeena's demands.
(d) He does not want Mattie to watch them go up to bed together.
5. Ethan enjoys following Zeena's orders at first because ___________________________________________.
(a) They free him of responsibility to his home and family.
(b) They free him to leave the house and go about his business.
(c) They remind him of when his mother was alive and well.
(d) He cannot run the farm without her help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
2. What brought Ethan back to the farm, ending his studies at Worcester?
3. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
4. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
5. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zeena traveling to Bettsbridge?
2. Why has Zeena stayed up waiting for Ethan and Mattie?
3. What images might foreshadow trouble or death in the chapter?
4. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
5. What does Ethan allow himself to fantasize about during his walk home with Mattie?
6. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
7. Why is Ethan so concerned about Zeena's behavior the previous evening?
8. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
9. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
10. What is Ethan's attitude toward Denis Eady? Why?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)