|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
(b) Is not satisfied with her work.
(c) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
(d) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
2. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
(a) The television.
(b) Voices in her head.
(c) The radio.
(d) Voices from the cemetery.
3. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
(a) Mattie is forced to dance with an undesirable partner.
(b) Mattie dancing happily with the grocer's son.
(c) Mattie standing alone in a corner.
(d) Mattie has disappeared into the crowd.
4. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(b) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(c) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(d) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
5. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
(a) It came from Philadelphia.
(b) It was a family heirloom.
(c) It came from Paris.
(d) It was the last of its kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
2. Ethan asks Mattie to sit in Zeena's chair because _____________________________.
3. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
4. Zeena may have become sickly because ______________________________.
5. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the atmosphere between Ethan and Mattie like after dinner?
2. Why is Ethan afraid to be alone on the farm?
3. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
4. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
5. Why are Ethan and Mattie continually reminded of Zeena?
6. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
7. What does Ethan enjoy sharing with Mattie that he cannot share with Zeena?
8. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
9. Why does Ethan mention to Mattie that he saw Ned and Ruth kissing earlier?
10. What, according to Ethan, is responsible for the biggest change in Mattie since she arrived in Starkfield?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)