|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
(a) Hides in the shadows outside the church.
(b) Interrupts Mattie's dance with a man from town.
(c) Enters the dance and enjoys watching the revelers.
(d) Interrupts the dance to find Mattie.
2. Who visited Mattie while Ethan was away during the day?
(a) Andrew Hale.
(b) Denis Eady.
(c) Jotham Powell.
(d) Daniel Byrne.
3. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
(a) He is waiting to see if she is going to ride home with her friends.
(b) He does not know where Mattie is.
(c) He is waiting to see if she will accept Eady's marriage proposal.
(d) He is afraid to enter the church because he does not know anyone.
4. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
(a) It came from Paris.
(b) It came from Philadelphia.
(c) It was a family heirloom.
(d) It was the last of its kind.
5. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
(a) Making medicine, nursing others, and household chores.
(b) Book-keeping and clerical work.
(c) Making candy, playing piano minimally, and reciting poetry.
(d) Making dresses and singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
2. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
3. Zeena believes Mattie will leave soon because ______________________________.
4. Zeena may have become sickly because ______________________________.
5. Most of their quiet or intimate moments are interrupted by _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Ethan and Mattie continually reminded of Zeena?
2. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
3. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
4. Describe Zeena Frome.
5. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
6. Why is Ethan concerned about Zeena's behavior toward himself and Mattie?
7. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
8. Why does Ethan mention to Mattie that he saw Ned and Ruth kissing earlier?
9. What, according to Ethan, is responsible for the biggest change in Mattie since she arrived in Starkfield?
10. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)