|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
2. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
3. Ethan feels too constrained to try to touch Mattie inside the house because ____________________________________________.
(a) The house has too many implications of order and conformity.
(b) The house reminds him of his wedding day.
(c) The house has too many happy memories of Zeena.
(d) The house seems to store up guilt and confessions.
4. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
(a) He has to rebuild the fire.
(b) He has to tend to the horses.
(c) He has to go over the mill accounts.
(d) He has work to do in his study.
5. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
(a) Hides in the shadows outside the church.
(b) Enters the dance and enjoys watching the revelers.
(c) Interrupts the dance to find Mattie.
(d) Interrupts Mattie's dance with a man from town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena finally stopped criticizing Mattie when __________________________________.
2. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
3. Ethan asks Mattie _________________________________.
4. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
5. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
2. Why is Ethan so concerned about Zeena's behavior the previous evening?
3. What, according to Ethan, is responsible for the biggest change in Mattie since she arrived in Starkfield?
4. Why are Ethan and Mattie continually reminded of Zeena?
5. Why is Ethan concerned about Zeena's behavior toward himself and Mattie?
6. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
7. What is the atmosphere between Ethan and Mattie like after dinner?
8. Why does Ethan mention to Mattie that he saw Ned and Ruth kissing earlier?
9. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
10. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)