|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
(a) Zeena will want to spend it on whatever the doctor recommends.
(b) Zeena will want to spend it on herself in town.
(c) Zeena will want to use the cash to pay Mattie.
(d) Zeena will demand cash as soon as she arrives home.
2. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
(a) She is a hired girl acting as Zeena's aid.
(b) She is a friend of the family who needed work.
(c) She is Ethan's cousin, and acts as their housekeeper.
(d) She is Zeena's cousin and acts as her aid.
3. As he travels to town, Ethan dreams about ______________________________.
(a) Spending his evening with Mattie like a married couple.
(b) His mother's presence in his home.
(c) Zeena's illness and death.
(d) Spending his evening waiting for Zeena to arrive.
4. Ethan claims sledding is dangerous on a night like this one because ___________________________________.
(a) It is so dark that they might not find their way home.
(b) It is so dark that they might hit the elm tree.
(c) It is so cold that he would not be able to steer the sled.
(d) It is bad luck to sled when there is no moon outside.
5. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
(b) She did not expect him to show up.
(c) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(d) She was not looking for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
2. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
3. Who visited Mattie while Ethan was away during the day?
4. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
5. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
2. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
3. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
4. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
5. What is Ethan's attitude toward Denis Eady? Why?
6. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
7. Why is Ethan concerned about Zeena's behavior toward himself and Mattie?
8. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
9. Why is Ethan afraid to be alone on the farm?
10. Why does Ethan find Zeena's silences unsettling?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)