|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because Ethan is too afraid to touch Mattie, he settles for _______________________________.
(a) Kissing the cat on the head.
(b) Kissing the fabric she is sewing.
(c) Holding her hands while they talk.
(d) Pressing his cheek against hers.
2. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(b) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
(c) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(d) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
3. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
(a) Their love for each other.
(b) Mattie's desire to leave.
(c) Ethan's business.
4. When Zeena opens the door, Ethan is surprised by _______________________.
(a) Her gaunt appearance.
(b) Her excitement over their return.
(c) Her refusal to let them enter.
(d) Her cold nature.
5. Ethan claims he continues to mention Mattie's eventual marriage because __________________________________.
(a) He is trying to get used to the idea.
(b) He wants her to swear she will never marry.
(c) He is burning with jealousy.
(d) Zeena wants him to encourage Mattie to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Mattie changed her appearance for Ethan?
2. Zeena believes Mattie enjoys living in Starkfield only because ______________________________.
3. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
4. When Ethan returned to Starkfield, he missed ____________________________.
5. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
2. What is Ethan's attitude toward Denis Eady? Why?
3. Why did Ethan find it easier to put his arm around Mattie when they were outside together than when they are in his home?
4. Why is Ethan so concerned about Zeena's behavior the previous evening?
5. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
6. What, according to Ethan, is responsible for the biggest change in Mattie since she arrived in Starkfield?
7. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
8. Why has Zeena stayed up waiting for Ethan and Mattie?
9. What does Ethan allow himself to fantasize about during his walk home with Mattie?
10. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)