|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Ethan walks through the trees he passes _______________________________.
(a) Denis and Mattie Silver kissing.
(b) Ned Hale and Mattie Silver kissing.
(c) Ruth Varnum and Ned Hale kissing.
(d) Zeena and Michael Eady kissing.
2. Most of the story takes place during which season?
3. Wharton compares the chill in the Frome's kitchen to ______________________________.
(a) A darkened hearth.
(b) A vault after the dry cold of a night.
(c) Zeena's heart.
(d) The landscape of Starkfield.
4. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
(a) Book-keeping and clerical work.
(b) Making medicine, nursing others, and household chores.
(c) Making dresses and singing.
(d) Making candy, playing piano minimally, and reciting poetry.
5. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
(a) Giving Mattie orders.
(b) Building a fire and cleaning up the house.
(c) Quelling Mattie's fears over the broken pickle dish.
(d) Knowing he had deceived Zeena.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though Ethan's studies were brief, the author states that he became aware of
2. Ethan and Mattie do not go sledding that evening because ___________________________.
3. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
4. Why can't Ethan replace Zeena's pickle dish?
5. Ethan is dismayed to find ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
2. Describe Ethan and Zeena as they fall asleep at night.
3. What does Ethan enjoy sharing with Mattie that he cannot share with Zeena?
4. Why did Ethan find it easier to put his arm around Mattie when they were outside together than when they are in his home?
5. Why has Zeena stayed up waiting for Ethan and Mattie?
6. Why is Zeena traveling to Bettsbridge?
7. Describe Zeena Frome.
8. What does Ethan allow himself to fantasize about during his walk home with Mattie?
9. Why is Ethan afraid to be alone on the farm?
10. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)