|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie's only skills include _______________________________________.
(a) Making medicine, nursing others, and household chores.
(b) Making dresses and singing.
(c) Making candy, playing piano minimally, and reciting poetry.
(d) Book-keeping and clerical work.
2. Ethan is initially drawn to Zeena because __________________________________.
(a) He is poor and she has a dowry.
(b) She is industrious and he is lonely.
(c) He is old and she is young.
(d) She is beautiful and he is lonely.
3. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
(a) That she seems eager to find a husband in the crowd.
(b) That she uses the same gestures with other men that she uses with him.
(c) That she uses gestures he has never seen before.
(d) That she seems detached and uninterested in other men.
4. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
(a) He is waiting to see if she will accept Eady's marriage proposal.
(b) He is waiting to see if she is going to ride home with her friends.
(c) He does not know where Mattie is.
(d) He is afraid to enter the church because he does not know anyone.
5. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
(a) One month.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) A year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan puts his arm around Mattie ________________________.
2. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
3. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
4. Ethan claims sledding is dangerous on a night like this one because ___________________________________.
5. Ethan and Mattie talk frankly for the first time about __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Ethan and Mattie continually reminded of Zeena?
2. What, according to Ethan, is responsible for the biggest change in Mattie since she arrived in Starkfield?
3. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
4. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
5. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
6. Why is Ethan so concerned about Zeena's behavior the previous evening?
7. What is Ethan's attitude toward Denis Eady? Why?
8. What images might foreshadow trouble or death in the chapter?
9. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
10. Describe Zeena Frome.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)