|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since the previous night, Ethan feels a sense of _______________.
2. When Ethan arrives, he ____________________________.
(a) Interrupts Mattie's dance with a man from town.
(b) Interrupts the dance to find Mattie.
(c) Hides in the shadows outside the church.
(d) Enters the dance and enjoys watching the revelers.
3. Zeena is described as an old woman, although she is ____________________________.
(a) Only twenty-seven years old.
(b) Only thirty-five years old.
(c) Only twenty-eight years old.
(d) Only twenty-five years old.
4. Ethan claims that Mattie did not see him outside the church because _____________________________________.
(a) She was too busy talking to her friends.
(b) She did not expect him to show up.
(c) She went back inside to dance with Denis Eady.
(d) She was not looking for him.
5. Ethan's mother suggested she was listening to ___________________________.
(a) Voices in her head.
(b) Voices from the cemetery.
(c) The television.
(d) The radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
2. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
3. The Fromes take Mattie into their home because ____________________________________.
4. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
5. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
2. Describe Zeena Frome.
3. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
4. What is the atmosphere between Ethan and Mattie like after dinner?
5. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
6. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
7. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
8. Why is Ethan afraid to be alone on the farm?
9. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
10. In what way does Ethan finally attempt a physical connection between himself and Mattie?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)