|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ethan and Mattie arrive at home, they cannot find _______________________.
(a) The sled.
(b) The key to the house.
(c) The keys to the car.
(d) The key to the barn.
2. Ethan claims sledding is dangerous on a night like this one because ___________________________________.
(a) It is so dark that they might not find their way home.
(b) It is so cold that he would not be able to steer the sled.
(c) It is so dark that they might hit the elm tree.
(d) It is bad luck to sled when there is no moon outside.
3. What word best describes the mood of the scene between Ethan and Mattie?
4. Zeena may have become sickly because ______________________________.
(a) Ethan would not permit her to leave the farm.
(b) She became obsessed with her own symptoms.
(c) She refused to take medications.
(d) Ethan forced her to work outside on the farm.
5. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
(b) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
(c) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(d) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening at the church at midnight?
2. Ethan recognizes Mattie by her _________________________.
3. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
4. What gives Ethan a sense of mastery at the end of the chapter?
5. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
Short Essay Questions
1. If winter has kept him "frozen" in the same old patterns, what might the coming spring promise for Ethan Frome?
2. Describe Ethan and Zeena as they fall asleep at night.
3. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
4. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
5. Why is Ethan afraid to be alone on the farm?
6. Describe the overall mood of Chapter 1.
7. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
8. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
9. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
10. Why is Zeena traveling to Bettsbridge?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)