|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan makes Mattie uncomfortable when he mentions __________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady coming to visit her at the house.
(b) Ruth and Ned kissing behind the trees.
(c) Her clumsiness with the pickle dish.
(d) How beautiful she looks under the lamp.
2. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
(a) One month.
(b) A year.
(c) Five years.
(d) Six months.
3. What is happening at the church at midnight?
(a) A town meeting is taking place.
(b) Christmas Eve is being celebrated.
(c) The church services are taking place.
(d) The church social is taking place.
4. How is the pickle dish broken?
(a) The cat knocks it off the table.
(b) Ethan knocks it off the table.
(c) The dog knocks it off the table.
(d) Mattie knocks it off the table.
5. Mattie worries that Zeena ______________________________.
(a) Is not satisfied with Ethan's farming abilities.
(b) Is jealous of Mattie's affair with Ethan.
(c) Is not satisfied with her work.
(d) Is jealous of Mattie's money.
Short Answer Questions
1. The smoke and haze from Ethan's pipe might represent ___________________________.
2. Wharton compares the darkened farmhouses to ________________.
3. Which of her partners offers Mattie a ride home?
4. Ethan immediately regrets telling Zeena he will get money from Mr. Hale because ________________________________________.
5. Ethan's love of nature does not extend to ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ethan's reaction to finding Ned and Ruth Varnum kissing among the trees?
2. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
3. What does Ethan enjoy sharing with Mattie that he cannot share with Zeena?
4. Why is Ethan concerned about Zeena's behavior toward himself and Mattie?
5. Describe Ethan and Zeena as they fall asleep at night.
6. In what way does Ethan finally attempt a physical connection between himself and Mattie?
7. Why does Zeena's family refuse to help Mattie when her father dies?
8. What is ironic about Mattie's greeting when Ethan arrives home?
9. What concerns does Ethan Frome express about Mattie Silver throughout the chapter?
10. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)