Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Ethan's kitchen a "homelike look?"
(a) Flowers Ethan brings for Mattie.
(b) Zeena's absence.
(c) The new stove Ethan put in.
(d) Mattie's cleaning.
2. At the end of the chapter, Ethan's last thoughts are about _____________________________.
(a) Returning to starkfield.
(b) Kissing Mattie in the living room.
(c) Not daring to touch Mattie's hand.
(d) Marrying Zeena.
3. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
(b) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(c) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(d) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
4. When Mattie tried stenography and bookkeeping, _________________________________.
(a) Her health broke down.
(b) She became valuable to her family members.
(c) She had great success.
(d) Her attitude prevented her from succeeding.
5. Mattie is afraid ______________________________________________.
(a) She will be sent away from the Fromes with no other place to go.
(b) She is not strong enough to take care of Zeena.
(c) She will never find love in Starkfield.
(d) She is growing old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Zeena still awake when Ethan and Mattie arrive at home?
2. Mattie is encouraged to enjoy evenings out because _______________________________.
3. What spark in Ethan had not been completely extinguished by the Starkfield winters?
4. Ethan claims he needs to collect money from Mr. Hale because ____________________________________.
5. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zeena's continued good mood show about her character?
2. What, according to Ethan, is responsible for the biggest change in Mattie since she arrived in Starkfield?
3. What is Ethan's attitude toward Denis Eady? Why?
4. In what way does Ethan finally attempt a physical connection between himself and Mattie?
5. Why does Mattie feel she may have displeased Zeena?
6. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
7. Why is Ethan willing to overlook his pride to renew his request for money from Andrew Hale?
8. What clues does Ethan have that Zeena's return will not be a pleasant one?
9. How do Zeena and Mattie get along after the accident?
10. Describe Zeena Frome.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)