|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
(a) Ned Hale and Ruth Varnum.
(b) Mattie Silver and Denis Eady.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Hale.
(d) Zeena and Ethan Frome.
2. While Mattie dances, Ethan notices ________________________________.
(a) That she uses gestures he has never seen before.
(b) That she seems detached and uninterested in other men.
(c) That she seems eager to find a husband in the crowd.
(d) That she uses the same gestures with other men that she uses with him.
3. How is the pickle dish broken?
(a) The dog knocks it off the table.
(b) Ethan knocks it off the table.
(c) Mattie knocks it off the table.
(d) The cat knocks it off the table.
4. Mattie Silver has lived with the Fromes for _______________.
(a) A year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) One month.
5. Ethan is unpleasantly surprised when his wife notices __________________________________.
(a) That he is always late for work since Mattie arrived.
(b) That he has taken to shaving every day since Mattie arrived.
(c) That he has taken to sleeping in his office.
(d) That he is envious of Michael Eady.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
2. Why does Ethan hide outside the church when waiting for Mattie?
3. Zeena does not want to move from Starkfield because ________________________________________.
4. Mattie lives with the Fromes because ____________________________.
5. Ethan tries to avoid accompanying his wife to bed by claiming ________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Zeena's appearance when she opens the door for Ethan and Mattie.
2. Why has Zeena stayed up waiting for Ethan and Mattie?
3. In what way does Ethan finally attempt a physical connection between himself and Mattie?
4. Why is Mattie upset to learn that the Fromes expect her to leave them someday?
5. What was Ethan doing before he returned to Starkfield?
6. What is Ethan's attitude toward Denis Eady? Why?
7. Why are Ethan and Mattie continually reminded of Zeena?
8. What does Ethan allow himself to fantasize about during his walk home with Mattie?
9. What, according to Ethan, is responsible for the biggest change in Mattie since she arrived in Starkfield?
10. What images might foreshadow trouble or death in the chapter?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)