|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattie quickly moves from Zeena's chair as if ____________________________________.
(a) She does not want to fill Zeena's place in Ethan's life.
(b) Feels guilty over her affair with Ethan.
(c) She can not stand the scrutiny of Ethan's gaze.
(d) She feels a sense of Zeena's presence there.
2. Ethan is please to find that ______________________________.
(a) He can tell Mattie of his troubles with Zeena.
(b) He can leave Mattie to take care of herself.
(c) He can marry Mattie when Zeena dies.
(d) He can share some of his passions with Mattie.
3. Ethan now sees the cemetery as ____________________________.
(a) The threat of death.
(b) The threat of stagnancy.
(c) The promise of continuance and stability.
(d) The promise of excitement and the unknown.
4. Ethan and Mattie discuss the marriage of ________________________.
(a) Ethan and Zeena.
(b) Ned and Ruth.
(c) Jothan and Mattie.
(d) Mattie and Denis.
5. Where is Ethan Frome going at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Ethan is walking back to the farm to find his wife's cousin.
(b) Ethan is walking to the church to escort Mattie and Michael Eady back to town.
(c) Ethan is going a neighboring town to seek a doctor for his wife.
(d) Ethan is walking to the church in town to pick up his wife's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening at the church at midnight?
2. Ethan resists following his wife upstairs because __________________________________________.
3. While they walk home, Ethan expresses his concern that Mattie will __________________________.
4. Ethan and Mattie do not go sledding that evening because ___________________________.
5. Who almost runs into the elm when sledding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ethan's attitude toward Denis Eady? Why?
2. Why does Ethan give up on the hope of money from Andrew Hale?
3. Why is Ethan afraid to be alone on the farm?
4. Why has Zeena stayed up waiting for Ethan and Mattie?
5. What does Ethan allow himself to fantasize about during his walk home with Mattie?
6. Why is Zeena traveling to Bettsbridge?
7. In what way does Ethan finally attempt a physical connection between himself and Mattie?
8. Why doesn't Ethan protest Zeena's costly doctor visit?
9. Why are Ethan and Mattie continually reminded of Zeena?
10. Describe Zeena Frome.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)