|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the accident, the town ___________________________________.
(a) Reported Ethan and Mattie's behavior to Zeena.
(b) Gossiped about why Mattie and Ethan were sledding.
(c) Gathered to care for Mattie and Ethan.
(d) Turned against Ethan, Zeena, and Mattie.
2. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
(a) He says he was treated with kindness and slept in the study.
(b) He says he was given food and sent on his way.
(c) He says he was given dinner and slept in the barn.
(d) He says he does not wish to discuss the matter.
3. Zeena instructs Jotham Powell to ________________________________________.
(a) Take Mattie into town and leave her there.
(b) Carry Mattie's trunk to the sleigh.
(c) Take Mattie to the train when he goes to pick up the hired girl.
(d) Search Mattie's belongings for Zeena's missing items.
4. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
(a) Zeena might change her mind about Mattie leaving.
(b) Mattie will be better off with her relatives.
(c) Zeena was lying about hiring another girl.
(d) Mattie does not know she has to leave.
5. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
(a) Selling the farm so he can follow Mattie.
(b) Firing Jotham Powell so he can afford to keep Mattie.
(c) Writing Zeena a goodbye letter and leaving with Mattie.
(d) Writing down his feelings for Mattie.
6. Wharton describes Ethan's mood as ________________________.
(a) Cautiously optimistic.
(b) Irrationally happy.
(c) Hesitantly happy.
(d) Irrationally fearful.
7. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
(b) Avoid delivering the lumber.
(c) Run into the elm tree.
(d) Arrive home before Zeena.
8. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
(a) On bringing Mattie back to the Fromes' house.
(b) On bringing Mattie over to the Hales' to visit.
(c) On bringing Mattie her trunk so she could have her things.
(d) On bringing Mattie to the train herself.
9. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
(a) Zeena tells Jotham to put the sorrel away where Ethan will not see it.
(b) Mattie tells him they are still alone together.
(c) The sorrel is not in the barn, so he believes they have not arrived.
(d) Jotham Powell hides the sorrel until Ehtan goes into the house.
10. Ethan believes Mattie understands ________________________________.
(a) His unwillingness to help her around the house.
(b) His need to get the lumber delivered.
(c) His urgency to be alone with her again.
(d) His desire to keep Zeena from arriving at home.
11. After the accident, Ethan thinks he hears _____________________________.
(a) Mattie calling for him.
(b) Zeena calling him home.
(c) A bird singing.
(d) A wounded animal crying.
12. Ethan's defeat is reflected in his ________________________________________________.
(a) Disappointment in Zeena's personality.
(b) Disappointment in the images of nature around him.
(c) Disappointment in Starkfield.
(d) Disappointment in Mattie's attitude.
13. In his anguish, Ethan finds the nerve to _____________________.
(a) Demand money from Andrew Hale.
(b) Stand up to Zeena.
(c) Tell Mattie she is no longer welcome.
(d) Kiss Mattie.
14. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
(a) They clean up the room for the hired girl.
(b) They carry Zeena out ot the sleigh.
(c) They carry Zeena's rocking chair over to the window.
(d) They carry Mattie's trunk out to the sleigh.
15. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
(a) He will be leaving with her the following day.
(b) He has never loved Zeena.
(c) She must leave the following day.
(d) She must be married as soon as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
2. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
3. Who, from the description Wharton offers, appears to be the healthier of the women?
4. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
5. As they head into town, Ethan points out ____________________________________________.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)