|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan needs to go into town to run what errand?
(a) He needs to pick up Zeena's medicine.
(b) He needs to pick up the hired girl from the train station.
(c) He needs to buy a new dish for Zeena.
(d) He needs to buy glue to fix the pickle dish.
2. Ethan finds Zeena _______________________________.
(a) Already bundled up in bed.
(b) Sitting by the window still in her traveling dress.
(c) Crying by the window.
(d) Waiting by the door to confront him.
3. After the sled accident, Mattie _____________________________________.
(a) Was sent back to her family in another town.
(b) Was cast out again by Zeena and Ethan.
(c) Was cared for by the Eady family.
(d) Was brought to recover at the Hales' house.
4. Mattie knows Ethan slept in the unheated study because ________________________________.
(a) She heard him come in late the night before.
(b) She knows Zeena kicked him out of the bedroom.
(c) She stayed up all night watching for him.
(d) She heard him smashing things in there.
5. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
(a) She claims she is feeling her sickness coming on again.
(b) She claims Mattie does not want him to drive her.
(c) She claims he needs to fix the stove in Mattie's room.
(d) She claims he needs to fix the stove in his study.
6. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
(a) Travel to the next town to see another doctor.
(b) Take in a hired girl to help around the house.
(c) Stay in bed.
(d) Remove all stress from her daily life.
7. For Ethan, Zeena personifies ______________________________-.
(a) His dishonesty and treachery.
(b) All his failures and humiliations.
(c) His love and support.
(d) All his triumphs and successes.
8. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
(a) Two women waiting for Ethan.
(b) Only Zeena waiting for Ethan.
(c) Only Mattie waiting for Ethan.
(d) The house is dark and deserted.
9. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
(b) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
(c) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
(d) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
10. Why has no stranger set foot in the Fromes' house in twenty years?
(a) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of Zeena and Mattie.
(b) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of his past actions to entertain friends.
(c) Ethan Frome is too proud to let anyone see how he lives.
(d) Ethan Frome has grown angry and unfriendly.
11. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Zeena's renewed energy.
(b) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(c) The decaying state of his home.
(d) The beauty of the day outside.
12. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
13. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
14. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
(a) Underneath it all, he still loves Zeena.
(b) Mattie would not want to leave town in disgrace.
(c) Zeena's family would prevent him from leaving.
(d) He has no money, and no way of borrowing any in town.
15. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
(a) On bringing Mattie over to the Hales' to visit.
(b) On bringing Mattie her trunk so she could have her things.
(c) On bringing Mattie back to the Fromes' house.
(d) On bringing Mattie to the train herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie's note to Ethan reads ___________________________.
2. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
3. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
4. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
5. Secretly, Ethan wanted to put off his trip into town because it meant _________________________________.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)