Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
(a) Brought attention to her beauty.
(b) Made the room look shabby and old.
(c) Brought life and comfort into the bare room.
(d) Been extravagant and self-indulgent.
2. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Puritans.
(b) The Fromes down in the graveyard.
(c) The Fromes of earlier centuries.
(d) The Fromes from a neighboring town.
3. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
(a) Zeena fell asleep all afternoon and did not tend the fire.
(b) Mattie does not like the room to be kept warm.
(c) Ethan cannot afford firewood.
(d) Zeena refused to light it until Ethan got home.
4. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
(a) Mattie would not want to leave town in disgrace.
(b) He has no money, and no way of borrowing any in town.
(c) Underneath it all, he still loves Zeena.
(d) Zeena's family would prevent him from leaving.
5. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
(a) Borrow money.
(b) Refuse to pay Mattie's wages.
(c) Send Mattie away.
(d) Build a second bedroom.
6. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
(b) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
(c) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
(d) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
7. What happens to Ethan's horse?
(a) The horse was ill because it was not properly cared for.
(b) The horse slipped and broke its leg.
(c) The horse slipped and cut its knee.
(d) The horse broke its back under the heavy lumber load.
8. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
(a) They carry Mattie's trunk out to the sleigh.
(b) They carry Zeena out ot the sleigh.
(c) They clean up the room for the hired girl.
(d) They carry Zeena's rocking chair over to the window.
9. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
(a) They have never been particularly kind to him.
(b) They are likely to tell Zeena about it.
(c) He knows they have fallen on hard times.
(d) He sees that he is being deceptive and selfish.
10. What word does Zeena use to describe the state of her health?
(a) She says she has complications.
(b) She says she has troubles.
(c) She says she has vapors.
(d) She says she has tremors.
11. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
(a) A storage room.
(b) A laboratory
(c) A library.
(d) A study.
12. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) The beauty of the day outside.
(b) The decaying state of his home.
(c) Zeena's renewed energy.
(d) Denis Eady and his young friends.
13. Wharton describes Ethan's mood as ________________________.
(a) Irrationally fearful.
(b) Irrationally happy.
(c) Hesitantly happy.
(d) Cautiously optimistic.
14. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
(a) Take in a hired girl to help around the house.
(b) Travel to the next town to see another doctor.
(c) Stay in bed.
(d) Remove all stress from her daily life.
15. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
(b) Avoid delivering the lumber.
(c) Run into the elm tree.
(d) Arrive home before Zeena.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena objects to doctors' suggestions ___________________________.
2. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
3. For Ethan, Zeena personifies ______________________________-.
4. When Zeena arrives home, she ______________________________.
5. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)