|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
2. Why has Mattie's disposition changed over the years?
(a) She has suffered too much, and that has caused her to "sour."
(b) She has grown fond of Zeena.
(c) She has come to wish for her own death.
(d) She has come to resent Ethan for his part in the accident.
3. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
4. How does Zeena find the broken pickle dish?
(a) She finds it when she goes to unpack her clothing.
(b) She finds it when she goes looking for medicinal powders.
(c) She finds pieces of it in the trash.
(d) She finds it when the cat brings pieces of it into the kitchen.
5. In his anguish, Ethan finds the nerve to _____________________.
(a) Demand money from Andrew Hale.
(b) Kiss Mattie.
(c) Tell Mattie she is no longer welcome.
(d) Stand up to Zeena.
6. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
(a) Caring for Zeena.
(b) To deliver the lumber.
(c) His own health.
(d) Caring for his horses.
7. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
8. What clues suggest the Fromes are very poor?
(a) The skinny women and the lack of shelter.
(b) The broken dishes and poor furnishings.
(c) Their refusal to offer the narrator food or shelter.
(d) The lack of food and fire.
9. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
(a) He says he was given food and sent on his way.
(b) He says he does not wish to discuss the matter.
(c) He says he was treated with kindness and slept in the study.
(d) He says he was given dinner and slept in the barn.
10. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
(a) Zeena might change her mind about Mattie leaving.
(b) Mattie does not know she has to leave.
(c) Zeena was lying about hiring another girl.
(d) Mattie will be better off with her relatives.
11. Mattie's note to Ethan reads ___________________________.
(a) Don't try to find me, Ethan.
(b) I'm leaving, Ethan.
(c) I'm sorry, Ethan.
(d) Don't trouble, Ethan.
12. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
(a) He will be leaving with her the following day.
(b) She must leave the following day.
(c) She must be married as soon as possible.
(d) He has never loved Zeena.
13. According to Ruth Hale, who suffers most at the Fromes' house?
14. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
(a) Is an obstacle to his happiness.
(b) Knows their plans and waits for them.
(c) Mocks him.
(d) Is somehow refusing their plans.
15. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
(a) Only Zeena waiting for Ethan.
(b) The house is dark and deserted.
(c) Only Mattie waiting for Ethan.
(d) Two women waiting for Ethan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
2. What does Mattie plan to do after leaving Starkfield?
3. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
4. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
5. The sled allows Ethan a feeling of ________________.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)