|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
(a) Take in a hired girl to help around the house.
(b) Stay in bed.
(c) Remove all stress from her daily life.
(d) Travel to the next town to see another doctor.
2. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
(a) She must leave the following day.
(b) She must be married as soon as possible.
(c) He will be leaving with her the following day.
(d) He has never loved Zeena.
3. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
4. Ethan returns home to find _____________________________________.
(a) Zeena reading a book while Mattie struggles with her heavy trunk.
(b) Mattie has already left for the train station.
(c) Zeena sick in bed while Mattie nurses her.
(d) Mattie has gone into town to seek a job.
5. Ethan and Jotham put off their trip into town because ________________________.
(a) A heavy snow was falling.
(b) The roads were melting and muddy.
(c) The roads were icy.
(d) The roads were flooded.
6. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
(a) He says he was given dinner and slept in the barn.
(b) He says he was given food and sent on his way.
(c) He says he was treated with kindness and slept in the study.
(d) He says he does not wish to discuss the matter.
7. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
(a) The death of Ethan's horses.
(b) Ethan's bankruptcy.
(c) Mattie's rejection of Ethan.
(d) An unhappy reunion with Zeena.
8. After the accident, the town ___________________________________.
(a) Turned against Ethan, Zeena, and Mattie.
(b) Gossiped about why Mattie and Ethan were sledding.
(c) Gathered to care for Mattie and Ethan.
(d) Reported Ethan and Mattie's behavior to Zeena.
9. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
(a) Punishing the weak.
(b) Helping others.
(c) Nursing her illness.
(d) Inflicting pain on him.
10. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The tree trunks are slippery.
(b) The tree trunks keep breaking.
(c) The logs are frozen together.
(d) The wagon is too short to carry them.
11. Mattie's note to Ethan reads ___________________________.
(a) I'm sorry, Ethan.
(b) I'm leaving, Ethan.
(c) Don't try to find me, Ethan.
(d) Don't trouble, Ethan.
12. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
(a) Caring for Zeena.
(b) To deliver the lumber.
(c) His own health.
(d) Caring for his horses.
13. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
(a) He can send Jotham can go home early.
(b) He can enjoy his last moments alone with Mattie before Zeena arrives.
(c) He can avoid seeing Zeena in town.
(d) He can serve Mattie instead of having her serve him.
14. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
(a) Jotham Powell hides the sorrel until Ehtan goes into the house.
(b) Mattie tells him they are still alone together.
(c) The sorrel is not in the barn, so he believes they have not arrived.
(d) Zeena tells Jotham to put the sorrel away where Ethan will not see it.
15. Wharton describes Ethan's mood as ________________________.
(a) Cautiously optimistic.
(b) Irrationally fearful.
(c) Irrationally happy.
(d) Hesitantly happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been worrying about the narrator's safety?
2. The sled allows Ethan a feeling of ________________.
3. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
4. Ethan perceives Zeena's tone as __________________________.
5. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)