|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
(a) He had to move the stove to Mattie's room, so the study has no heat.
(b) It faces the sunlight in the west.
(c) Zeena uses it for storage.
(d) Zeena uses it as a sewing room in the winter.
2. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
(a) Goes to visit Jotham Powell.
(b) Hides out in the barn.
(c) Goes to the train station.
(d) Goes home.
3. What does Mattie plan to do after leaving Starkfield?
(a) She will try to get hired as a maid.
(b) She will try to get a job in a store.
(c) She will try to go back to college.
(d) She will try to connect with her family.
4. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
5. As they head into town, Ethan points out ____________________________________________.
(a) Several places where he and Mattie had been together.
(b) A place where they might hide out from Zeena.
(c) The positive aspects of Mattie's situation.
(d) Several places Mattie might go after leaving Starkfield.
6. What word does Zeena use to describe the state of her health?
(a) She says she has complications.
(b) She says she has troubles.
(c) She says she has tremors.
(d) She says she has vapors.
7. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
(a) Eady's wife would report it to Zeena.
(b) Eady's store is not open.
(c) Denis refuses to sell it to him.
(d) Denis cannot find it.
8. Wharton describes Ethan's mood as ________________________.
(a) Irrationally fearful.
(b) Irrationally happy.
(c) Cautiously optimistic.
(d) Hesitantly happy.
9. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
10. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
(a) Been extravagant and self-indulgent.
(b) Made the room look shabby and old.
(c) Brought life and comfort into the bare room.
(d) Brought attention to her beauty.
11. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
(a) Mattie would not want to leave town in disgrace.
(b) Underneath it all, he still loves Zeena.
(c) He has no money, and no way of borrowing any in town.
(d) Zeena's family would prevent him from leaving.
12. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
(a) The house is dark and deserted.
(b) Only Mattie waiting for Ethan.
(c) Only Zeena waiting for Ethan.
(d) Two women waiting for Ethan.
13. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
(a) On bringing Mattie over to the Hales' to visit.
(b) On bringing Mattie to the train herself.
(c) On bringing Mattie back to the Fromes' house.
(d) On bringing Mattie her trunk so she could have her things.
14. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
15. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
(a) They clean up the room for the hired girl.
(b) They carry Mattie's trunk out to the sleigh.
(c) They carry Zeena's rocking chair over to the window.
(d) They carry Zeena out ot the sleigh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
2. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
3. How does Zeena reply to Mattie's remarks?
4. Mattie knows Ethan slept in the unheated study because ________________________________.
5. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)