|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Hale only visit the Fromes twice a year?
(a) She thinks it pains them to have visitors.
(b) She does not want the Fromes to grown tired of her visits.
(c) She thinks they blame her for the accident.
(d) She does not want others to know she associates with them.
2. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
(a) Before Mr. Hale has left for work.
(b) Before Mr. Hale can find out Ethan is looking for him.
(c) Before Zeena knows he has left the house.
(d) Before it gets dark.
3. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
(a) On bringing Mattie back to the Fromes' house.
(b) On bringing Mattie over to the Hales' to visit.
(c) On bringing Mattie her trunk so she could have her things.
(d) On bringing Mattie to the train herself.
4. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
(a) Zeena uses it as a sewing room in the winter.
(b) Zeena uses it for storage.
(c) He had to move the stove to Mattie's room, so the study has no heat.
(d) It faces the sunlight in the west.
5. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Fromes down in the graveyard.
(b) The Fromes of earlier centuries.
(c) The Fromes from a neighboring town.
(d) The Puritans.
6. Ethan finds Mattie crying because __________________________________.
(a) She thought she would never see Ethan again.
(b) She was disappointed in herself.
(c) She felt guilty over stealing Zeena's belongings.
(d) She was worried about taking the train.
7. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
8. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
(a) Ethan's lie that he had loved Zeena when they were first married.
(b) Ethan's lie that he needed to collect money from Andrew Hale.
(c) Mattie's lie about planning to be married.
(d) Zeena's lie about needing to see another doctor.
9. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
(a) Mattie does not know she has to leave.
(b) Mattie will be better off with her relatives.
(c) Zeena was lying about hiring another girl.
(d) Zeena might change her mind about Mattie leaving.
10. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
(a) Goes to the train station.
(b) Goes home.
(c) Hides out in the barn.
(d) Goes to visit Jotham Powell.
11. Ethan perceives Zeena's tone as __________________________.
(a) Happily vindictive.
(b) Dryly resolute.
(c) Sadly defeated.
(d) Cheerfully upbeat.
12. When they are alone outside together, Ethan tells Mattie __________________________________.
(a) That Zeena knows all about their love for each other.
(b) That he will never see her again after tonight.
(c) That he will send her trunk along after she is settled somewhere.
(d) That he will drive her to the train himself.
13. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
(a) Zeena fell asleep all afternoon and did not tend the fire.
(b) Zeena refused to light it until Ethan got home.
(c) Ethan cannot afford firewood.
(d) Mattie does not like the room to be kept warm.
14. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
(a) Borrow money.
(b) Send Mattie away.
(c) Build a second bedroom.
(d) Refuse to pay Mattie's wages.
15. Ethan needs to go into town to run what errand?
(a) He needs to buy a new dish for Zeena.
(b) He needs to buy glue to fix the pickle dish.
(c) He needs to pick up Zeena's medicine.
(d) He needs to pick up the hired girl from the train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena instructs Jotham Powell to ________________________________________.
2. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
3. Zeena objects to doctors' suggestions ___________________________.
4. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
5. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)