|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
(a) They carry Zeena's rocking chair over to the window.
(b) They carry Zeena out ot the sleigh.
(c) They clean up the room for the hired girl.
(d) They carry Mattie's trunk out to the sleigh.
2. What pleasure do Mattie and Ethan allow themselves before the train comes?
(a) They have coffee together.
(b) They go sledding.
(c) They write each other goodbye letters.
(d) They walk into town.
3. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
(a) A laboratory
(b) A study.
(c) A library.
(d) A storage room.
4. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
5. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
6. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
(a) They have never been particularly kind to him.
(b) They are likely to tell Zeena about it.
(c) He knows they have fallen on hard times.
(d) He sees that he is being deceptive and selfish.
7. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
(a) He throws the dish away.
(b) He uses wood glue from his shed to fix the dish.
(c) He uses flour paste to fix the dish.
(d) He buys it at another store.
8. As he prepares the sorrel, Ethan remembers ______________________________.
(a) The day he returned to Starkfield.
(b) The day his mother died.
(c) The day he drove to the station to meet Mattie.
(d) The day he first brought Zeena home.
9. Ethan believes Mattie understands ________________________________.
(a) His desire to keep Zeena from arriving at home.
(b) His urgency to be alone with her again.
(c) His unwillingness to help her around the house.
(d) His need to get the lumber delivered.
10. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
(a) Zeena demands that Mattie serve her dinner in her bed.
(b) Mattie refuses to cook dinner.
(c) Jotham Powell refuses to stay for dinner.
(d) Zeena refuses to allow Jotham Powell at dinner.
11. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
(a) Mattie's future employment.
(b) Mattie's financial obligations.
(c) Mattie's room and board.
(d) Mattie's trunk.
12. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
13. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The tree trunks are slippery.
(b) The tree trunks keep breaking.
(c) The logs are frozen together.
(d) The wagon is too short to carry them.
14. The sled allows Ethan a feeling of ________________.
15. Ethan returns home to find _____________________________________.
(a) Zeena reading a book while Mattie struggles with her heavy trunk.
(b) Mattie has already left for the train station.
(c) Mattie has gone into town to seek a job.
(d) Zeena sick in bed while Mattie nurses her.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the accident, Ethan thinks he hears _____________________________.
2. Mattie's note to Ethan reads ___________________________.
3. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
4. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
5. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)