|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
(b) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
(c) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
(d) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
2. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
(a) He has never loved Zeena.
(b) He will be leaving with her the following day.
(c) She must be married as soon as possible.
(d) She must leave the following day.
3. Who, from the description Wharton offers, appears to be the healthier of the women?
(b) Ruth Varnum.
(d) The hired girl.
4. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
(a) A study.
(b) A library.
(c) A laboratory
(d) A storage room.
5. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
(a) Brought attention to her beauty.
(b) Made the room look shabby and old.
(c) Been extravagant and self-indulgent.
(d) Brought life and comfort into the bare room.
6. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The logs are frozen together.
(b) The tree trunks are slippery.
(c) The tree trunks keep breaking.
(d) The wagon is too short to carry them.
7. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
(a) He buys it at another store.
(b) He uses flour paste to fix the dish.
(c) He uses wood glue from his shed to fix the dish.
(d) He throws the dish away.
8. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
(a) Zeena fell asleep all afternoon and did not tend the fire.
(b) Mattie does not like the room to be kept warm.
(c) Zeena refused to light it until Ethan got home.
(d) Ethan cannot afford firewood.
9. Why does the memory of the Fromes' place cause Mrs. Hale pain?
(a) Mrs. Hale remembers Mattie keeping the house clean.
(b) Mrs. Hale remembers Zeena throwing parties.
(c) Mrs. Hale remembers when the house was well-kept by Ethan's mother.
(d) Mrs. Hale remembers living with the Fromes briefly before her marriage.
10. What word does Zeena use to describe the state of her health?
(a) She says she has tremors.
(b) She says she has complications.
(c) She says she has vapors.
(d) She says she has troubles.
11. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
(a) Only Zeena waiting for Ethan.
(b) Only Mattie waiting for Ethan.
(c) Two women waiting for Ethan.
(d) The house is dark and deserted.
12. Ethan finds Mattie crying because __________________________________.
(a) She thought she would never see Ethan again.
(b) She was worried about taking the train.
(c) She was disappointed in herself.
(d) She felt guilty over stealing Zeena's belongings.
13. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
(a) He can avoid seeing Zeena in town.
(b) He can send Jotham can go home early.
(c) He can enjoy his last moments alone with Mattie before Zeena arrives.
(d) He can serve Mattie instead of having her serve him.
14. In his anguish, Ethan finds the nerve to _____________________.
(a) Stand up to Zeena.
(b) Kiss Mattie.
(c) Demand money from Andrew Hale.
(d) Tell Mattie she is no longer welcome.
15. After the sled accident, Mattie _____________________________________.
(a) Was cared for by the Eady family.
(b) Was cast out again by Zeena and Ethan.
(c) Was brought to recover at the Hales' house.
(d) Was sent back to her family in another town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
2. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
3. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
4. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
5. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)