|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What clues suggest the Fromes are very poor?
(a) The skinny women and the lack of shelter.
(b) The broken dishes and poor furnishings.
(c) Their refusal to offer the narrator food or shelter.
(d) The lack of food and fire.
2. When Zeena arrives home, she ______________________________.
(a) Tells Mattie she has hired a new girl.
(b) Goes right to her room without saying anything.
(c) Leaves again to visit the town doctor.
(d) Demands that Mattie make dinner immediately.
3. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(b) The beauty of the day outside.
(c) Zeena's renewed energy.
(d) The decaying state of his home.
4. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
(a) He says he was treated with kindness and slept in the study.
(b) He says he was given food and sent on his way.
(c) He says he was given dinner and slept in the barn.
(d) He says he does not wish to discuss the matter.
5. As he prepares the sorrel, Ethan remembers ______________________________.
(a) The day he returned to Starkfield.
(b) The day he drove to the station to meet Mattie.
(c) The day his mother died.
(d) The day he first brought Zeena home.
6. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Fromes from a neighboring town.
(b) The Fromes down in the graveyard.
(c) The Fromes of earlier centuries.
(d) The Puritans.
7. What word does Zeena use to describe the state of her health?
(a) She says she has complications.
(b) She says she has tremors.
(c) She says she has troubles.
(d) She says she has vapors.
8. Ethan needs to go into town to run what errand?
(a) He needs to buy glue to fix the pickle dish.
(b) He needs to pick up the hired girl from the train station.
(c) He needs to pick up Zeena's medicine.
(d) He needs to buy a new dish for Zeena.
9. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
(a) He will be leaving with her the following day.
(b) He has never loved Zeena.
(c) She must be married as soon as possible.
(d) She must leave the following day.
10. After the sled accident, Mattie _____________________________________.
(a) Was sent back to her family in another town.
(b) Was cast out again by Zeena and Ethan.
(c) Was brought to recover at the Hales' house.
(d) Was cared for by the Eady family.
11. What does Mattie plan to do after leaving Starkfield?
(a) She will try to connect with her family.
(b) She will try to get a job in a store.
(c) She will try to get hired as a maid.
(d) She will try to go back to college.
12. Why has Mattie's disposition changed over the years?
(a) She has grown fond of Zeena.
(b) She has come to resent Ethan for his part in the accident.
(c) She has suffered too much, and that has caused her to "sour."
(d) She has come to wish for her own death.
13. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
(a) He can serve Mattie instead of having her serve him.
(b) He can send Jotham can go home early.
(c) He can enjoy his last moments alone with Mattie before Zeena arrives.
(d) He can avoid seeing Zeena in town.
14. Ethan finds Zeena _______________________________.
(a) Waiting by the door to confront him.
(b) Sitting by the window still in her traveling dress.
(c) Crying by the window.
(d) Already bundled up in bed.
15. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
(a) Send Mattie away.
(b) Build a second bedroom.
(c) Borrow money.
(d) Refuse to pay Mattie's wages.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
2. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
3. What pleasure do Mattie and Ethan allow themselves before the train comes?
4. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
5. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)