|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Zeena arrives home, she ______________________________.
(a) Demands that Mattie make dinner immediately.
(b) Tells Mattie she has hired a new girl.
(c) Goes right to her room without saying anything.
(d) Leaves again to visit the town doctor.
2. Secretly, Ethan wanted to put off his trip into town because it meant _________________________________.
(a) He could go home and spend the day with Mattie.
(b) He could send Jotham to pick up Zeena from the Flats.
(c) He could help Mattie clean up the breakfast dishes.
(d) He could speak to Andrew Hale about money again.
3. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(b) The beauty of the day outside.
(c) Zeena's renewed energy.
(d) The decaying state of his home.
4. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
(a) He sees that he is being deceptive and selfish.
(b) He knows they have fallen on hard times.
(c) They are likely to tell Zeena about it.
(d) They have never been particularly kind to him.
5. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
(a) Been extravagant and self-indulgent.
(b) Brought life and comfort into the bare room.
(c) Made the room look shabby and old.
(d) Brought attention to her beauty.
6. Ethan returns home to find _____________________________________.
(a) Zeena reading a book while Mattie struggles with her heavy trunk.
(b) Mattie has already left for the train station.
(c) Zeena sick in bed while Mattie nurses her.
(d) Mattie has gone into town to seek a job.
7. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
(a) A study.
(b) A library.
(c) A storage room.
(d) A laboratory
8. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
(a) He can enjoy his last moments alone with Mattie before Zeena arrives.
(b) He can avoid seeing Zeena in town.
(c) He can serve Mattie instead of having her serve him.
(d) He can send Jotham can go home early.
9. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
(a) The sorrel is not in the barn, so he believes they have not arrived.
(b) Zeena tells Jotham to put the sorrel away where Ethan will not see it.
(c) Mattie tells him they are still alone together.
(d) Jotham Powell hides the sorrel until Ehtan goes into the house.
10. Before they strike the elm, Ethan has a last vision of __________________________.
(a) The cemetery by his home.
(b) Zeena's face.
(c) Mattie's face.
(d) His mother.
11. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
12. Ethan and Jotham put off their trip into town because ________________________.
(a) The roads were flooded.
(b) The roads were icy.
(c) A heavy snow was falling.
(d) The roads were melting and muddy.
13. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
(a) Andrew Hale.
(c) Ruth Farnum.
(d) Jotham Powell.
14. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
(a) He buys it at another store.
(b) He uses flour paste to fix the dish.
(c) He uses wood glue from his shed to fix the dish.
(d) He throws the dish away.
15. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
2. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
3. What happens to Ethan's horse?
4. Who has been worrying about the narrator's safety?
5. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)