|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeena instructs Jotham Powell to ________________________________________.
(a) Search Mattie's belongings for Zeena's missing items.
(b) Take Mattie to the train when he goes to pick up the hired girl.
(c) Take Mattie into town and leave her there.
(d) Carry Mattie's trunk to the sleigh.
2. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
(a) Mattie's trunk.
(b) Mattie's future employment.
(c) Mattie's room and board.
(d) Mattie's financial obligations.
3. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
(a) Nursing her illness.
(b) Helping others.
(c) Inflicting pain on him.
(d) Punishing the weak.
4. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
5. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
(a) Zeena uses it as a sewing room in the winter.
(b) Zeena uses it for storage.
(c) It faces the sunlight in the west.
(d) He had to move the stove to Mattie's room, so the study has no heat.
6. As he prepares the sorrel, Ethan remembers ______________________________.
(a) The day he drove to the station to meet Mattie.
(b) The day his mother died.
(c) The day he returned to Starkfield.
(d) The day he first brought Zeena home.
7. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
(a) He throws the dish away.
(b) He uses flour paste to fix the dish.
(c) He uses wood glue from his shed to fix the dish.
(d) He buys it at another store.
8. What pleasure do Mattie and Ethan allow themselves before the train comes?
(a) They have coffee together.
(b) They go sledding.
(c) They write each other goodbye letters.
(d) They walk into town.
9. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
(b) Andrew Hale.
(c) Ruth Farnum.
(d) Jotham Powell.
10. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
(a) Eady's store is not open.
(b) Denis cannot find it.
(c) Eady's wife would report it to Zeena.
(d) Denis refuses to sell it to him.
11. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
(a) He can enjoy his last moments alone with Mattie before Zeena arrives.
(b) He can send Jotham can go home early.
(c) He can serve Mattie instead of having her serve him.
(d) He can avoid seeing Zeena in town.
12. Ethan needs to go into town to run what errand?
(a) He needs to buy glue to fix the pickle dish.
(b) He needs to buy a new dish for Zeena.
(c) He needs to pick up the hired girl from the train station.
(d) He needs to pick up Zeena's medicine.
13. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
(a) Is an obstacle to his happiness.
(b) Mocks him.
(c) Knows their plans and waits for them.
(d) Is somehow refusing their plans.
14. What surprises Mrs. Hale and her mother?
(a) The narrator's refusal to speak of the Fromes.
(b) The narrator's story of his night at the Fromes'.
(c) The narrator's risking his safety in the storm.
(d) The narrator's desire to talk about the Fromes.
15. Who has been worrying about the narrator's safety?
(a) Ruth Varnum Hale.
(b) Mattie Silver.
(c) Zeena Frome.
(d) Ethan Frome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
2. After the accident, Ethan thinks he hears _____________________________.
3. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
4. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
5. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)