|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
2. What happens to Ethan's horse?
(a) The horse broke its back under the heavy lumber load.
(b) The horse slipped and broke its leg.
(c) The horse was ill because it was not properly cared for.
(d) The horse slipped and cut its knee.
3. What new clues indicate Zeena's continued satisfaction over her victory?
(a) She apologizes to Mattie for her earlier behavior.
(b) She declares that Mattie can keep the red pickle dish.
(c) She is eats well and treats Jotham Powell with kindness.
(d) She is kind and affectionate to Ethan.
4. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
(b) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
(c) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
(d) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
5. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
(a) Is an obstacle to his happiness.
(b) Is somehow refusing their plans.
(c) Knows their plans and waits for them.
(d) Mocks him.
6. For Ethan, Zeena personifies ______________________________-.
(a) His dishonesty and treachery.
(b) All his failures and humiliations.
(c) All his triumphs and successes.
(d) His love and support.
7. When Ethan sees Zeena he is moved by what emotion?
8. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
(a) He has never loved Zeena.
(b) He will be leaving with her the following day.
(c) She must be married as soon as possible.
(d) She must leave the following day.
9. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The logs are frozen together.
(b) The tree trunks keep breaking.
(c) The wagon is too short to carry them.
(d) The tree trunks are slippery.
10. What word does Zeena use to describe the state of her health?
(a) She says she has tremors.
(b) She says she has complications.
(c) She says she has troubles.
(d) She says she has vapors.
11. Mattie's note to Ethan reads ___________________________.
(a) I'm sorry, Ethan.
(b) Don't trouble, Ethan.
(c) Don't try to find me, Ethan.
(d) I'm leaving, Ethan.
12. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
(a) Before Mr. Hale has left for work.
(b) Before it gets dark.
(c) Before Mr. Hale can find out Ethan is looking for him.
(d) Before Zeena knows he has left the house.
13. What surprises Mrs. Hale and her mother?
(a) The narrator's risking his safety in the storm.
(b) The narrator's desire to talk about the Fromes.
(c) The narrator's refusal to speak of the Fromes.
(d) The narrator's story of his night at the Fromes'.
14. What does Mattie plan to do after leaving Starkfield?
(a) She will try to get hired as a maid.
(b) She will try to connect with her family.
(c) She will try to get a job in a store.
(d) She will try to go back to college.
15. How has Zeena changed since the accident?
(a) Zeena has grown affectionate and loving with Ethan.
(b) Zeena has gained strength and now cares for Ethan and Mattie.
(c) Zeena has grown quiet like Ethan's mother.
(d) Zeena feels responsible for the accident, and this exaggerates her illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
2. Ethan's defeat is reflected in his ________________________________________________.
3. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
4. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
5. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)