|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
(a) She must leave the following day.
(b) He will be leaving with her the following day.
(c) She must be married as soon as possible.
(d) He has never loved Zeena.
2. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
(a) Mattie's financial obligations.
(b) Mattie's future employment.
(c) Mattie's trunk.
(d) Mattie's room and board.
3. Why does the memory of the Fromes' place cause Mrs. Hale pain?
(a) Mrs. Hale remembers Zeena throwing parties.
(b) Mrs. Hale remembers Mattie keeping the house clean.
(c) Mrs. Hale remembers when the house was well-kept by Ethan's mother.
(d) Mrs. Hale remembers living with the Fromes briefly before her marriage.
4. What reminds Ethan of Mattie as he walks to town?
(a) The sled route they were to visit together.
(b) All the sights and sounds of nature.
(c) All the cheerful couples walking about town.
(d) The spot where he kissed her by the spruce trees.
5. Zeena objects to doctors' suggestions ___________________________.
(a) That she have an operation.
(b) That she has any sort of illness.
(c) That she move to a warmer climate.
(d) That she have a psychological examination.
6. Who has been worrying about the narrator's safety?
(a) Ethan Frome.
(b) Zeena Frome.
(c) Ruth Varnum Hale.
(d) Mattie Silver.
7. When they are alone outside together, Ethan tells Mattie __________________________________.
(a) That he will drive her to the train himself.
(b) That Zeena knows all about their love for each other.
(c) That he will send her trunk along after she is settled somewhere.
(d) That he will never see her again after tonight.
8. Ethan needs to go into town to run what errand?
(a) He needs to buy glue to fix the pickle dish.
(b) He needs to pick up the hired girl from the train station.
(c) He needs to pick up Zeena's medicine.
(d) He needs to buy a new dish for Zeena.
9. How does Zeena find the broken pickle dish?
(a) She finds it when she goes looking for medicinal powders.
(b) She finds it when she goes to unpack her clothing.
(c) She finds it when the cat brings pieces of it into the kitchen.
(d) She finds pieces of it in the trash.
10. Mattie knows Ethan slept in the unheated study because ________________________________.
(a) She stayed up all night watching for him.
(b) She heard him smashing things in there.
(c) She knows Zeena kicked him out of the bedroom.
(d) She heard him come in late the night before.
11. What does Mattie plan to do after leaving Starkfield?
(a) She will try to get hired as a maid.
(b) She will try to connect with her family.
(c) She will try to get a job in a store.
(d) She will try to go back to college.
12. Ethan invites Jotham to dinner because _______________________________________.
(a) He wants a neutral presence there since Zeena has returned.
(b) He wants an objective observer to hear Zeena's health complaints.
(c) He needs to talk to Jotham about his work.
(d) He knows Zeena will not ask about money with Jotham there.
13. After the accident, Ethan thinks he hears _____________________________.
(a) A bird singing.
(b) Zeena calling him home.
(c) Mattie calling for him.
(d) A wounded animal crying.
14. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
(a) Send Mattie away.
(b) Borrow money.
(c) Refuse to pay Mattie's wages.
(d) Build a second bedroom.
15. Mattie's note to Ethan reads ___________________________.
(a) Don't try to find me, Ethan.
(b) I'm leaving, Ethan.
(c) I'm sorry, Ethan.
(d) Don't trouble, Ethan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
2. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
3. Why has no stranger set foot in the Fromes' house in twenty years?
4. Why does Mrs. Hale only visit the Fromes twice a year?
5. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)