|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before they strike the elm, Ethan has a last vision of __________________________.
(a) His mother.
(b) The cemetery by his home.
(c) Mattie's face.
(d) Zeena's face.
2. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
3. After the sled accident, Mattie _____________________________________.
(a) Was cared for by the Eady family.
(b) Was brought to recover at the Hales' house.
(c) Was cast out again by Zeena and Ethan.
(d) Was sent back to her family in another town.
4. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
(a) Before Mr. Hale can find out Ethan is looking for him.
(b) Before Mr. Hale has left for work.
(c) Before Zeena knows he has left the house.
(d) Before it gets dark.
5. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
(a) They have never been particularly kind to him.
(b) He knows they have fallen on hard times.
(c) He sees that he is being deceptive and selfish.
(d) They are likely to tell Zeena about it.
6. Ethan returns home to find _____________________________________.
(a) Zeena reading a book while Mattie struggles with her heavy trunk.
(b) Zeena sick in bed while Mattie nurses her.
(c) Mattie has already left for the train station.
(d) Mattie has gone into town to seek a job.
7. As they head into town, Ethan points out ____________________________________________.
(a) Several places where he and Mattie had been together.
(b) Several places Mattie might go after leaving Starkfield.
(c) The positive aspects of Mattie's situation.
(d) A place where they might hide out from Zeena.
8. What pleasure do Mattie and Ethan allow themselves before the train comes?
(a) They go sledding.
(b) They walk into town.
(c) They have coffee together.
(d) They write each other goodbye letters.
9. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
10. Who has been worrying about the narrator's safety?
(a) Zeena Frome.
(b) Ruth Varnum Hale.
(c) Ethan Frome.
(d) Mattie Silver.
11. When Zeena arrives home, she ______________________________.
(a) Demands that Mattie make dinner immediately.
(b) Goes right to her room without saying anything.
(c) Leaves again to visit the town doctor.
(d) Tells Mattie she has hired a new girl.
12. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
(a) They clean up the room for the hired girl.
(b) They carry Mattie's trunk out to the sleigh.
(c) They carry Zeena out ot the sleigh.
(d) They carry Zeena's rocking chair over to the window.
13. According to Ruth Hale, who suffers most at the Fromes' house?
14. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Zeena's renewed energy.
(b) The beauty of the day outside.
(c) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(d) The decaying state of his home.
15. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
(a) Made the room look shabby and old.
(b) Brought attention to her beauty.
(c) Been extravagant and self-indulgent.
(d) Brought life and comfort into the bare room.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the accident, Ethan thinks he hears _____________________________.
2. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
3. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
4. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
5. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)