Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
2. Secretly, Ethan wanted to put off his trip into town because it meant _________________________________.
(a) He could speak to Andrew Hale about money again.
(b) He could go home and spend the day with Mattie.
(c) He could help Mattie clean up the breakfast dishes.
(d) He could send Jotham to pick up Zeena from the Flats.
3. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
(a) Punishing the weak.
(b) Helping others.
(c) Inflicting pain on him.
(d) Nursing her illness.
4. Ethan needs to go into town to run what errand?
(a) He needs to pick up the hired girl from the train station.
(b) He needs to buy glue to fix the pickle dish.
(c) He needs to buy a new dish for Zeena.
(d) He needs to pick up Zeena's medicine.
5. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
(a) Caring for his horses.
(b) His own health.
(c) To deliver the lumber.
(d) Caring for Zeena.
6. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
(a) Mattie refuses to cook dinner.
(b) Zeena refuses to allow Jotham Powell at dinner.
(c) Jotham Powell refuses to stay for dinner.
(d) Zeena demands that Mattie serve her dinner in her bed.
7. Ethan finds that Zeena's refusal to eat is usually followed by ___________________________________.
(a) Her remaining in bed for several days.
(b) Her coming down to supper anyway.
(c) An increase in her symptoms.
(d) Her refusal to speak to him.
8. What surprises Mrs. Hale and her mother?
(a) The narrator's risking his safety in the storm.
(b) The narrator's story of his night at the Fromes'.
(c) The narrator's refusal to speak of the Fromes.
(d) The narrator's desire to talk about the Fromes.
9. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
(a) She claims Mattie does not want him to drive her.
(b) She claims she is feeling her sickness coming on again.
(c) She claims he needs to fix the stove in his study.
(d) She claims he needs to fix the stove in Mattie's room.
10. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
(a) He says he was treated with kindness and slept in the study.
(b) He says he does not wish to discuss the matter.
(c) He says he was given dinner and slept in the barn.
(d) He says he was given food and sent on his way.
11. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Arrive home before Zeena.
(b) Avoid delivering the lumber.
(c) Run into the elm tree.
(d) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
12. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
(a) Mattie's trunk.
(b) Mattie's room and board.
(c) Mattie's future employment.
(d) Mattie's financial obligations.
13. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
14. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
(a) Before it gets dark.
(b) Before Mr. Hale has left for work.
(c) Before Zeena knows he has left the house.
(d) Before Mr. Hale can find out Ethan is looking for him.
15. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
(a) Zeena uses it for storage.
(b) It faces the sunlight in the west.
(c) Zeena uses it as a sewing room in the winter.
(d) He had to move the stove to Mattie's room, so the study has no heat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before they strike the elm, Ethan has a last vision of __________________________.
2. Zeena instructs Jotham Powell to ________________________________________.
3. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
4. Why has no stranger set foot in the Fromes' house in twenty years?
5. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)