|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
(a) Brought life and comfort into the bare room.
(b) Made the room look shabby and old.
(c) Brought attention to her beauty.
(d) Been extravagant and self-indulgent.
2. When Zeena arrives home, she ______________________________.
(a) Tells Mattie she has hired a new girl.
(b) Goes right to her room without saying anything.
(c) Demands that Mattie make dinner immediately.
(d) Leaves again to visit the town doctor.
3. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
(a) The Fromes from a neighboring town.
(b) The Fromes down in the graveyard.
(c) The Puritans.
(d) The Fromes of earlier centuries.
4. Ethan believes Mattie understands ________________________________.
(a) His desire to keep Zeena from arriving at home.
(b) His urgency to be alone with her again.
(c) His need to get the lumber delivered.
(d) His unwillingness to help her around the house.
5. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
(b) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
(c) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
(d) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
6. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
(a) He has no money, and no way of borrowing any in town.
(b) Zeena's family would prevent him from leaving.
(c) Underneath it all, he still loves Zeena.
(d) Mattie would not want to leave town in disgrace.
7. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
8. For Ethan, Zeena personifies ______________________________-.
(a) All his failures and humiliations.
(b) His love and support.
(c) His dishonesty and treachery.
(d) All his triumphs and successes.
9. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
(a) Mattie refuses to cook dinner.
(b) Zeena refuses to allow Jotham Powell at dinner.
(c) Zeena demands that Mattie serve her dinner in her bed.
(d) Jotham Powell refuses to stay for dinner.
10. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
(a) Two women waiting for Ethan.
(b) Only Mattie waiting for Ethan.
(c) The house is dark and deserted.
(d) Only Zeena waiting for Ethan.
11. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
(a) Writing Zeena a goodbye letter and leaving with Mattie.
(b) Firing Jotham Powell so he can afford to keep Mattie.
(c) Writing down his feelings for Mattie.
(d) Selling the farm so he can follow Mattie.
12. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
(a) Mattie's father.
(b) Her red pickle dish.
(c) The cat.
(d) A tea towel.
13. The sled allows Ethan a feeling of ________________.
14. As he prepares the sorrel, Ethan remembers ______________________________.
(a) The day he drove to the station to meet Mattie.
(b) The day he first brought Zeena home.
(c) The day his mother died.
(d) The day he returned to Starkfield.
15. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
(a) An unhappy reunion with Zeena.
(b) Mattie's rejection of Ethan.
(c) The death of Ethan's horses.
(d) Ethan's bankruptcy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
2. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
3. Why does Mrs. Hale only visit the Fromes twice a year?
4. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
5. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)