|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zeena reply to Mattie's remarks?
(a) Zeena does not speak at all.
(b) Zeena tells Mattie to hush.
(c) Zeena leaves the room angrily.
(d) Zeena tells Ethan to quiet Mattie.
2. What happens to Ethan's horse?
(a) The horse slipped and broke its leg.
(b) The horse broke its back under the heavy lumber load.
(c) The horse was ill because it was not properly cared for.
(d) The horse slipped and cut its knee.
3. After the accident, Ethan thinks he hears _____________________________.
(a) A wounded animal crying.
(b) A bird singing.
(c) Zeena calling him home.
(d) Mattie calling for him.
4. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The tree trunks keep breaking.
(b) The logs are frozen together.
(c) The tree trunks are slippery.
(d) The wagon is too short to carry them.
5. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
(b) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
(c) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
(d) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
6. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
(a) Remove all stress from her daily life.
(b) Stay in bed.
(c) Take in a hired girl to help around the house.
(d) Travel to the next town to see another doctor.
7. Ethan's room is unusable for several months of the year because ______________________________________.
(a) Zeena uses it as a sewing room in the winter.
(b) It faces the sunlight in the west.
(c) He had to move the stove to Mattie's room, so the study has no heat.
(d) Zeena uses it for storage.
8. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
(a) Goes to the train station.
(b) Hides out in the barn.
(c) Goes home.
(d) Goes to visit Jotham Powell.
9. Ethan returns home to find _____________________________________.
(a) Zeena sick in bed while Mattie nurses her.
(b) Mattie has already left for the train station.
(c) Zeena reading a book while Mattie struggles with her heavy trunk.
(d) Mattie has gone into town to seek a job.
10. What reminds Ethan of Mattie as he walks to town?
(a) The spot where he kissed her by the spruce trees.
(b) All the sights and sounds of nature.
(c) All the cheerful couples walking about town.
(d) The sled route they were to visit together.
11. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Run into the elm tree.
(b) Arrive home before Zeena.
(c) Avoid delivering the lumber.
(d) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
12. Before they strike the elm, Ethan has a last vision of __________________________.
(a) The cemetery by his home.
(b) Mattie's face.
(c) Zeena's face.
(d) His mother.
13. Why has no stranger set foot in the Fromes' house in twenty years?
(a) Ethan Frome is too proud to let anyone see how he lives.
(b) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of Zeena and Mattie.
(c) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of his past actions to entertain friends.
(d) Ethan Frome has grown angry and unfriendly.
14. Ethan finds that Zeena's refusal to eat is usually followed by ___________________________________.
(a) An increase in her symptoms.
(b) Her remaining in bed for several days.
(c) Her coming down to supper anyway.
(d) Her refusal to speak to him.
15. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
(a) Caring for Zeena.
(b) To deliver the lumber.
(c) His own health.
(d) Caring for his horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
2. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
3. Who does Mrs. Hale compare the remaining Fromes to at the end of the chapter?
4. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
5. Ethan knows he cannot leave Starkfield with Mattie because ________________________________________.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)