|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new clues indicate Zeena's continued satisfaction over her victory?
(a) She apologizes to Mattie for her earlier behavior.
(b) She is eats well and treats Jotham Powell with kindness.
(c) She declares that Mattie can keep the red pickle dish.
(d) She is kind and affectionate to Ethan.
2. Ethan perceives Zeena's tone as __________________________.
(a) Happily vindictive.
(b) Sadly defeated.
(c) Cheerfully upbeat.
(d) Dryly resolute.
3. Why has no stranger set foot in the Fromes' house in twenty years?
(a) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of his past actions to entertain friends.
(b) Ethan Frome has grown angry and unfriendly.
(c) Ethan Frome is too proud to let anyone see how he lives.
(d) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of Zeena and Mattie.
4. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
(a) Zeena's lie about needing to see another doctor.
(b) Ethan's lie that he needed to collect money from Andrew Hale.
(c) Mattie's lie about planning to be married.
(d) Ethan's lie that he had loved Zeena when they were first married.
5. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Arrive home before Zeena.
(b) Avoid delivering the lumber.
(c) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
(d) Run into the elm tree.
6. In his anguish, Ethan finds the nerve to _____________________.
(a) Tell Mattie she is no longer welcome.
(b) Stand up to Zeena.
(c) Kiss Mattie.
(d) Demand money from Andrew Hale.
7. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
(a) Two women waiting for Ethan.
(b) Only Mattie waiting for Ethan.
(c) Only Zeena waiting for Ethan.
(d) The house is dark and deserted.
8. Ethan needs to go into town to run what errand?
(a) He needs to pick up Zeena's medicine.
(b) He needs to buy a new dish for Zeena.
(c) He needs to buy glue to fix the pickle dish.
(d) He needs to pick up the hired girl from the train station.
9. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
(a) Before Zeena knows he has left the house.
(b) Before Mr. Hale has left for work.
(c) Before it gets dark.
(d) Before Mr. Hale can find out Ethan is looking for him.
10. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
(b) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
(c) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
(d) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
11. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
(a) More broken dishes.
(b) Missing household items.
(c) Some of Mattie's recipes.
(d) Ethan's behavior.
12. Ethan invites Jotham to dinner because _______________________________________.
(a) He needs to talk to Jotham about his work.
(b) He knows Zeena will not ask about money with Jotham there.
(c) He wants a neutral presence there since Zeena has returned.
(d) He wants an objective observer to hear Zeena's health complaints.
13. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
(a) The logs are frozen together.
(b) The wagon is too short to carry them.
(c) The tree trunks are slippery.
(d) The tree trunks keep breaking.
14. Secretly, Ethan wanted to put off his trip into town because it meant _________________________________.
(a) He could speak to Andrew Hale about money again.
(b) He could send Jotham to pick up Zeena from the Flats.
(c) He could go home and spend the day with Mattie.
(d) He could help Mattie clean up the breakfast dishes.
15. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(b) The decaying state of his home.
(c) Zeena's renewed energy.
(d) The beauty of the day outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
2. When Zeena arrives home, she ______________________________.
3. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
4. Wharton describes Ethan's mood as ________________________.
5. Ethan believes Mattie understands ________________________________.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)