|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
(a) Build a second bedroom.
(b) Borrow money.
(c) Refuse to pay Mattie's wages.
(d) Send Mattie away.
2. What room did Ethan create for himself when he returned from college?
(a) A study.
(b) A laboratory
(c) A library.
(d) A storage room.
3. As he prepares the sorrel, Ethan remembers ______________________________.
(a) The day he drove to the station to meet Mattie.
(b) The day his mother died.
(c) The day he returned to Starkfield.
(d) The day he first brought Zeena home.
4. When they are alone outside together, Ethan tells Mattie __________________________________.
(a) That Zeena knows all about their love for each other.
(b) That he will send her trunk along after she is settled somewhere.
(c) That he will never see her again after tonight.
(d) That he will drive her to the train himself.
5. Secretly, Ethan wanted to put off his trip into town because it meant _________________________________.
(a) He could send Jotham to pick up Zeena from the Flats.
(b) He could speak to Andrew Hale about money again.
(c) He could help Mattie clean up the breakfast dishes.
(d) He could go home and spend the day with Mattie.
6. Ethan finds that Zeena's refusal to eat is usually followed by ___________________________________.
(a) Her coming down to supper anyway.
(b) Her refusal to speak to him.
(c) Her remaining in bed for several days.
(d) An increase in her symptoms.
7. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
(a) Mattie's father.
(b) A tea towel.
(c) The cat.
(d) Her red pickle dish.
8. Why isn't Zeena fooled by Ethan's claim that the cat broke her pickle dish?
(a) Zeena knows Mattie used the dish.
(b) Zeena never believes her cat can cause harm.
(c) Zeena found the pieces placed carefully back together.
(d) Zeena found the glue Ethan brought home.
9. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
(a) He says he does not wish to discuss the matter.
(b) He says he was treated with kindness and slept in the study.
(c) He says he was given food and sent on his way.
(d) He says he was given dinner and slept in the barn.
10. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
11. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
(a) Andrew Hale.
(b) Jotham Powell.
(c) Ruth Farnum.
12. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
(a) Zeena might change her mind about Mattie leaving.
(b) Mattie will be better off with her relatives.
(c) Zeena was lying about hiring another girl.
(d) Mattie does not know she has to leave.
13. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
(a) Firing Jotham Powell so he can afford to keep Mattie.
(b) Writing Zeena a goodbye letter and leaving with Mattie.
(c) Selling the farm so he can follow Mattie.
(d) Writing down his feelings for Mattie.
14. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
15. Ethan and Jotham put off their trip into town because ________________________.
(a) The roads were flooded.
(b) The roads were melting and muddy.
(c) A heavy snow was falling.
(d) The roads were icy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
2. Wharton describes Ethan's mood as ________________________.
3. Who has been worrying about the narrator's safety?
4. What happens to Ethan's horse?
5. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)