|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan finds Mattie crying because __________________________________.
(a) She felt guilty over stealing Zeena's belongings.
(b) She was worried about taking the train.
(c) She thought she would never see Ethan again.
(d) She was disappointed in herself.
2. Ethan believes that Zeena's one pleasure is __________________________________.
(a) Helping others.
(b) Punishing the weak.
(c) Inflicting pain on him.
(d) Nursing her illness.
3. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
(a) Two women waiting for Ethan.
(b) The house is dark and deserted.
(c) Only Zeena waiting for Ethan.
(d) Only Mattie waiting for Ethan.
4. Why does Ethan insist on sitting in the front of the sled?
(a) He wants to feel Mattie's arms around him.
(b) He wants to absorb the shock when they hit the elm.
(c) He wants to be able to steer the sled.
(d) He wants to feel the air in his face.
5. Ethan finds that Zeena's refusal to eat is usually followed by ___________________________________.
(a) An increase in her symptoms.
(b) Her remaining in bed for several days.
(c) Her coming down to supper anyway.
(d) Her refusal to speak to him.
6. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
(a) Mattie proposes they drive Zeena away.
(b) Mattie proposes they leave together, even without any money.
(c) Mattie proposes they sled into the elm tree, killing themselves.
(d) Mattie proposes they visit one another.
7. Ethan and Jotham put off their trip into town because ________________________.
(a) A heavy snow was falling.
(b) The roads were flooded.
(c) The roads were icy.
(d) The roads were melting and muddy.
8. Ethan perceives Zeena's tone as __________________________.
(a) Dryly resolute.
(b) Happily vindictive.
(c) Cheerfully upbeat.
(d) Sadly defeated.
9. Mattie's note to Ethan reads ___________________________.
(a) Don't try to find me, Ethan.
(b) I'm sorry, Ethan.
(c) I'm leaving, Ethan.
(d) Don't trouble, Ethan.
10. What clues suggest the Fromes are very poor?
(a) Their refusal to offer the narrator food or shelter.
(b) The broken dishes and poor furnishings.
(c) The skinny women and the lack of shelter.
(d) The lack of food and fire.
11. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
(b) Arrive home before Zeena.
(c) Run into the elm tree.
(d) Avoid delivering the lumber.
12. Zeena objects to doctors' suggestions ___________________________.
(a) That she has any sort of illness.
(b) That she move to a warmer climate.
(c) That she have a psychological examination.
(d) That she have an operation.
13. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
(a) Mattie's father.
(b) A tea towel.
(c) Her red pickle dish.
(d) The cat.
14. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
(a) He knows they have fallen on hard times.
(b) They are likely to tell Zeena about it.
(c) They have never been particularly kind to him.
(d) He sees that he is being deceptive and selfish.
15. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
(a) Writing Zeena a goodbye letter and leaving with Mattie.
(b) Selling the farm so he can follow Mattie.
(c) Writing down his feelings for Mattie.
(d) Firing Jotham Powell so he can afford to keep Mattie.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they are alone outside together, Ethan tells Mattie __________________________________.
2. Ethan believes Mattie understands ________________________________.
3. Who confesses the truth about the broken dish?
4. Before they strike the elm, Ethan has a last vision of __________________________.
5. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)