|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
(a) Hides out in the barn.
(b) Goes to the train station.
(c) Goes to visit Jotham Powell.
(d) Goes home.
2. What surprises Mrs. Hale and her mother?
(a) The narrator's refusal to speak of the Fromes.
(b) The narrator's desire to talk about the Fromes.
(c) The narrator's risking his safety in the storm.
(d) The narrator's story of his night at the Fromes'.
3. Why has Mattie's disposition changed over the years?
(a) She has suffered too much, and that has caused her to "sour."
(b) She has come to wish for her own death.
(c) She has grown fond of Zeena.
(d) She has come to resent Ethan for his part in the accident.
4. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
(a) He will be leaving with her the following day.
(b) She must be married as soon as possible.
(c) She must leave the following day.
(d) He has never loved Zeena.
5. After the accident, the town ___________________________________.
(a) Gathered to care for Mattie and Ethan.
(b) Reported Ethan and Mattie's behavior to Zeena.
(c) Turned against Ethan, Zeena, and Mattie.
(d) Gossiped about why Mattie and Ethan were sledding.
6. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
(a) Mocks him.
(b) Knows their plans and waits for them.
(c) Is an obstacle to his happiness.
(d) Is somehow refusing their plans.
7. What reminds Ethan of Mattie as he walks to town?
(a) The sled route they were to visit together.
(b) All the sights and sounds of nature.
(c) All the cheerful couples walking about town.
(d) The spot where he kissed her by the spruce trees.
8. Ethan and Jotham put off their trip into town because ________________________.
(a) The roads were melting and muddy.
(b) A heavy snow was falling.
(c) The roads were icy.
(d) The roads were flooded.
9. What does Mattie plan to do after leaving Starkfield?
(a) She will try to get hired as a maid.
(b) She will try to get a job in a store.
(c) She will try to go back to college.
(d) She will try to connect with her family.
10. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
(a) Ethan's lie that he had loved Zeena when they were first married.
(b) Ethan's lie that he needed to collect money from Andrew Hale.
(c) Mattie's lie about planning to be married.
(d) Zeena's lie about needing to see another doctor.
11. In his anguish, Ethan finds the nerve to _____________________.
(a) Demand money from Andrew Hale.
(b) Stand up to Zeena.
(c) Kiss Mattie.
(d) Tell Mattie she is no longer welcome.
12. Why does the memory of the Fromes' place cause Mrs. Hale pain?
(a) Mrs. Hale remembers Zeena throwing parties.
(b) Mrs. Hale remembers Mattie keeping the house clean.
(c) Mrs. Hale remembers when the house was well-kept by Ethan's mother.
(d) Mrs. Hale remembers living with the Fromes briefly before her marriage.
13. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
(a) She claims Mattie does not want him to drive her.
(b) She claims he needs to fix the stove in Mattie's room.
(c) She claims he needs to fix the stove in his study.
(d) She claims she is feeling her sickness coming on again.
14. Ethan believes Mattie understands ________________________________.
(a) His need to get the lumber delivered.
(b) His unwillingness to help her around the house.
(c) His desire to keep Zeena from arriving at home.
(d) His urgency to be alone with her again.
15. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
(a) He buys it at another store.
(b) He uses flour paste to fix the dish.
(c) He throws the dish away.
(d) He uses wood glue from his shed to fix the dish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
2. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
3. Ethan returns home to find _____________________________________.
4. What word does Zeena use to describe the state of her health?
5. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)