|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
(a) Borrow money.
(b) Build a second bedroom.
(c) Send Mattie away.
(d) Refuse to pay Mattie's wages.
2. What does Mattie plan to do after leaving Starkfield?
(a) She will try to get a job in a store.
(b) She will try to get hired as a maid.
(c) She will try to connect with her family.
(d) She will try to go back to college.
3. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
(a) He can enjoy his last moments alone with Mattie before Zeena arrives.
(b) He can avoid seeing Zeena in town.
(c) He can send Jotham can go home early.
(d) He can serve Mattie instead of having her serve him.
4. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
(a) Travel to the next town to see another doctor.
(b) Remove all stress from her daily life.
(c) Stay in bed.
(d) Take in a hired girl to help around the house.
5. What clues suggest the Fromes are very poor?
(a) The lack of food and fire.
(b) The broken dishes and poor furnishings.
(c) Their refusal to offer the narrator food or shelter.
(d) The skinny women and the lack of shelter.
6. When Zeena arrives home, she ______________________________.
(a) Leaves again to visit the town doctor.
(b) Demands that Mattie make dinner immediately.
(c) Goes right to her room without saying anything.
(d) Tells Mattie she has hired a new girl.
7. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Avoid delivering the lumber.
(b) Arrive home before Zeena.
(c) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
(d) Run into the elm tree.
8. Ethan's defeat is reflected in his ________________________________________________.
(a) Disappointment in Starkfield.
(b) Disappointment in Mattie's attitude.
(c) Disappointment in the images of nature around him.
(d) Disappointment in Zeena's personality.
9. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(b) Zeena's renewed energy.
(c) The decaying state of his home.
(d) The beauty of the day outside.
10. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
(a) They are likely to tell Zeena about it.
(b) He sees that he is being deceptive and selfish.
(c) He knows they have fallen on hard times.
(d) They have never been particularly kind to him.
11. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
(a) Mattie proposes they drive Zeena away.
(b) Mattie proposes they visit one another.
(c) Mattie proposes they leave together, even without any money.
(d) Mattie proposes they sled into the elm tree, killing themselves.
12. What word does Zeena use to describe the state of her health?
(a) She says she has tremors.
(b) She says she has complications.
(c) She says she has vapors.
(d) She says she has troubles.
13. Secretly, Ethan wanted to put off his trip into town because it meant _________________________________.
(a) He could go home and spend the day with Mattie.
(b) He could send Jotham to pick up Zeena from the Flats.
(c) He could speak to Andrew Hale about money again.
(d) He could help Mattie clean up the breakfast dishes.
14. In the morning, Ethan convinces himself that ________________________________.
(a) Mattie does not know she has to leave.
(b) Zeena was lying about hiring another girl.
(c) Mattie will be better off with her relatives.
(d) Zeena might change her mind about Mattie leaving.
15. Why does Mrs. Hale only visit the Fromes twice a year?
(a) She does not want the Fromes to grown tired of her visits.
(b) She thinks it pains them to have visitors.
(c) She does not want others to know she associates with them.
(d) She thinks they blame her for the accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zeena reply to Mattie's remarks?
2. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
3. What pleasure do Mattie and Ethan allow themselves before the train comes?
4. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
5. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)