|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has no stranger set foot in the Fromes' house in twenty years?
(a) Ethan Frome has grown angry and unfriendly.
(b) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of his past actions to entertain friends.
(c) Ethan Frome is too ashamed of Zeena and Mattie.
(d) Ethan Frome is too proud to let anyone see how he lives.
2. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
3. What new clues indicate Zeena's continued satisfaction over her victory?
(a) She declares that Mattie can keep the red pickle dish.
(b) She is eats well and treats Jotham Powell with kindness.
(c) She apologizes to Mattie for her earlier behavior.
(d) She is kind and affectionate to Ethan.
4. According to Ruth Hale, who suffers most at the Fromes' house?
5. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
(a) Ethan's lie that he had loved Zeena when they were first married.
(b) Mattie's lie about planning to be married.
(c) Ethan's lie that he needed to collect money from Andrew Hale.
(d) Zeena's lie about needing to see another doctor.
6. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
(a) Remove all stress from her daily life.
(b) Take in a hired girl to help around the house.
(c) Stay in bed.
(d) Travel to the next town to see another doctor.
7. Ethan and Jotham put off their trip into town because ________________________.
(a) The roads were melting and muddy.
(b) The roads were flooded.
(c) The roads were icy.
(d) A heavy snow was falling.
8. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
(a) The sorrel is not in the barn, so he believes they have not arrived.
(b) Mattie tells him they are still alone together.
(c) Jotham Powell hides the sorrel until Ehtan goes into the house.
(d) Zeena tells Jotham to put the sorrel away where Ethan will not see it.
9. In his anguish, Ethan finds the nerve to _____________________.
(a) Stand up to Zeena.
(b) Kiss Mattie.
(c) Tell Mattie she is no longer welcome.
(d) Demand money from Andrew Hale.
10. In his hurry to get be in the house with Mattie, Ethan neglects ________________________________.
(a) To deliver the lumber.
(b) Caring for his horses.
(c) Caring for Zeena.
(d) His own health.
11. Ethan senses something went wrong with Zeena because _______________________________.
(a) Mattie refuses to cook dinner.
(b) Zeena demands that Mattie serve her dinner in her bed.
(c) Zeena refuses to allow Jotham Powell at dinner.
(d) Jotham Powell refuses to stay for dinner.
12. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
(a) He sees that he is being deceptive and selfish.
(b) He knows they have fallen on hard times.
(c) They are likely to tell Zeena about it.
(d) They have never been particularly kind to him.
13. Why does Ethan insist on sitting in the front of the sled?
(a) He wants to be able to steer the sled.
(b) He wants to feel the air in his face.
(c) He wants to absorb the shock when they hit the elm.
(d) He wants to feel Mattie's arms around him.
14. Ethan's defeat is reflected in his ________________________________________________.
(a) Disappointment in Mattie's attitude.
(b) Disappointment in Zeena's personality.
(c) Disappointment in Starkfield.
(d) Disappointment in the images of nature around him.
15. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
(a) On bringing Mattie over to the Hales' to visit.
(b) On bringing Mattie back to the Fromes' house.
(c) On bringing Mattie to the train herself.
(d) On bringing Mattie her trunk so she could have her things.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the lumber especially hard for Ethan to load?
2. Mattie's note to Ethan reads ___________________________.
3. Why has Mattie's disposition changed over the years?
4. Why does Mrs. Hale only visit the Fromes twice a year?
5. As they head into town, Ethan points out ____________________________________________.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)