|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
(a) She claims he needs to fix the stove in Mattie's room.
(b) She claims he needs to fix the stove in his study.
(c) She claims she is feeling her sickness coming on again.
(d) She claims Mattie does not want him to drive her.
2. Ethan does not ask the Hales for money because _____________________________________.
(a) They have never been particularly kind to him.
(b) He sees that he is being deceptive and selfish.
(c) They are likely to tell Zeena about it.
(d) He knows they have fallen on hard times.
3. Why does Mrs. Hale only visit the Fromes twice a year?
(a) She does not want the Fromes to grown tired of her visits.
(b) She thinks they blame her for the accident.
(c) She does not want others to know she associates with them.
(d) She thinks it pains them to have visitors.
4. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
(a) Some of Mattie's recipes.
(b) Ethan's behavior.
(c) Missing household items.
(d) More broken dishes.
5. What reminds Ethan of Mattie as he walks to town?
(a) The sled route they were to visit together.
(b) All the sights and sounds of nature.
(c) The spot where he kissed her by the spruce trees.
(d) All the cheerful couples walking about town.
6. Who, from the description Wharton offers, appears to be the healthier of the women?
(c) The hired girl.
(d) Ruth Varnum.
7. Ethan's goal is to reach Starkfield ____________________________.
(a) Before it gets dark.
(b) Before Mr. Hale can find out Ethan is looking for him.
(c) Before Mr. Hale has left for work.
(d) Before Zeena knows he has left the house.
8. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
(a) Zeena's lie about needing to see another doctor.
(b) Mattie's lie about planning to be married.
(c) Ethan's lie that he had loved Zeena when they were first married.
(d) Ethan's lie that he needed to collect money from Andrew Hale.
9. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
(a) Zeena fell asleep all afternoon and did not tend the fire.
(b) Ethan cannot afford firewood.
(c) Zeena refused to light it until Ethan got home.
(d) Mattie does not like the room to be kept warm.
10. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
(a) Mattie proposes they drive Zeena away.
(b) Mattie proposes they visit one another.
(c) Mattie proposes they leave together, even without any money.
(d) Mattie proposes they sled into the elm tree, killing themselves.
11. What new clues indicate Zeena's continued satisfaction over her victory?
(a) She declares that Mattie can keep the red pickle dish.
(b) She is eats well and treats Jotham Powell with kindness.
(c) She apologizes to Mattie for her earlier behavior.
(d) She is kind and affectionate to Ethan.
12. Ethan's defeat is reflected in his ________________________________________________.
(a) Disappointment in the images of nature around him.
(b) Disappointment in Mattie's attitude.
(c) Disappointment in Starkfield.
(d) Disappointment in Zeena's personality.
13. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
(a) Hides out in the barn.
(b) Goes to the train station.
(c) Goes home.
(d) Goes to visit Jotham Powell.
14. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
(a) Mattie's trunk.
(b) Mattie's future employment.
(c) Mattie's financial obligations.
(d) Mattie's room and board.
15. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
(a) Remove all stress from her daily life.
(b) Travel to the next town to see another doctor.
(c) Take in a hired girl to help around the house.
(d) Stay in bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they head into town, Ethan points out ____________________________________________.
2. What clues suggest the Fromes are very poor?
3. Later, Zeena insisted _____________________________________.
4. After the sled accident, Mattie _____________________________________.
5. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)