|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has been worrying about the narrator's safety?
(a) Ruth Varnum Hale.
(b) Zeena Frome.
(c) Mattie Silver.
(d) Ethan Frome.
2. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Zeena's renewed energy.
(b) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(c) The decaying state of his home.
(d) The beauty of the day outside.
3. What does Mattie plan to do after leaving Starkfield?
(a) She will try to connect with her family.
(b) She will try to get a job in a store.
(c) She will try to get hired as a maid.
(d) She will try to go back to college.
4. What new clues indicate Zeena's continued satisfaction over her victory?
(a) She is eats well and treats Jotham Powell with kindness.
(b) She declares that Mattie can keep the red pickle dish.
(c) She is kind and affectionate to Ethan.
(d) She apologizes to Mattie for her earlier behavior.
5. How does Ethan solve the glue problem?
(a) He buys it at another store.
(b) He throws the dish away.
(c) He uses flour paste to fix the dish.
(d) He uses wood glue from his shed to fix the dish.
6. As they head into town, Ethan points out ____________________________________________.
(a) The positive aspects of Mattie's situation.
(b) A place where they might hide out from Zeena.
(c) Several places Mattie might go after leaving Starkfield.
(d) Several places where he and Mattie had been together.
7. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
(a) Mattie's trunk.
(b) Mattie's financial obligations.
(c) Mattie's room and board.
(d) Mattie's future employment.
8. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
(a) More broken dishes.
(b) Ethan's behavior.
(c) Some of Mattie's recipes.
(d) Missing household items.
9. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
10. In his study, Ethan toys with the idea of ________________________________________.
(a) Writing down his feelings for Mattie.
(b) Writing Zeena a goodbye letter and leaving with Mattie.
(c) Selling the farm so he can follow Mattie.
(d) Firing Jotham Powell so he can afford to keep Mattie.
11. Why does the memory of the Fromes' place cause Mrs. Hale pain?
(a) Mrs. Hale remembers Mattie keeping the house clean.
(b) Mrs. Hale remembers living with the Fromes briefly before her marriage.
(c) Mrs. Hale remembers Zeena throwing parties.
(d) Mrs. Hale remembers when the house was well-kept by Ethan's mother.
12. Zeena objects to doctors' suggestions ___________________________.
(a) That she move to a warmer climate.
(b) That she have an operation.
(c) That she has any sort of illness.
(d) That she have a psychological examination.
13. Ethan believes the elm ________________________________.
(a) Is an obstacle to his happiness.
(b) Is somehow refusing their plans.
(c) Knows their plans and waits for them.
(d) Mocks him.
14. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
(a) Stay in bed.
(b) Remove all stress from her daily life.
(c) Travel to the next town to see another doctor.
(d) Take in a hired girl to help around the house.
15. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
(a) She claims she is feeling her sickness coming on again.
(b) She claims he needs to fix the stove in Mattie's room.
(c) She claims he needs to fix the stove in his study.
(d) She claims Mattie does not want him to drive her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
2. Ethan believes Mattie understands ________________________________.
3. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
4. Ethan finds that Zeena's refusal to eat is usually followed by ___________________________________.
5. What reminds Ethan of Mattie as he walks to town?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)