|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan hopes that the bad roads or a late train might cause him to __________________________.
(a) Avoid delivering the lumber.
(b) Run into the elm tree.
(c) Arrive home before Zeena.
(d) Arrive at the train on time to pick up Zeena.
2. Why hasn't the fire been lit?
(a) Zeena fell asleep all afternoon and did not tend the fire.
(b) Zeena refused to light it until Ethan got home.
(c) Ethan cannot afford firewood.
(d) Mattie does not like the room to be kept warm.
3. Ethan returns home to find _____________________________________.
(a) Zeena reading a book while Mattie struggles with her heavy trunk.
(b) Zeena sick in bed while Mattie nurses her.
(c) Mattie has already left for the train station.
(d) Mattie has gone into town to seek a job.
4. When Ethan returns to Mattie, he tells her _______________________________.
(a) She must leave the following day.
(b) He will be leaving with her the following day.
(c) She must be married as soon as possible.
(d) He has never loved Zeena.
5. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
(a) Her red pickle dish.
(b) The cat.
(c) Mattie's father.
(d) A tea towel.
6. Zeena instructs Jotham Powell to ________________________________________.
(a) Take Mattie into town and leave her there.
(b) Search Mattie's belongings for Zeena's missing items.
(c) Carry Mattie's trunk to the sleigh.
(d) Take Mattie to the train when he goes to pick up the hired girl.
7. After the sled accident, Mattie _____________________________________.
(a) Was cast out again by Zeena and Ethan.
(b) Was sent back to her family in another town.
(c) Was cared for by the Eady family.
(d) Was brought to recover at the Hales' house.
8. Before they strike the elm, Ethan has a last vision of __________________________.
(a) The cemetery by his home.
(b) His mother.
(c) Zeena's face.
(d) Mattie's face.
9. When the narrator arrives at Ethan's house he finds ___________________________________.
(a) Only Zeena waiting for Ethan.
(b) Only Mattie waiting for Ethan.
(c) Two women waiting for Ethan.
(d) The house is dark and deserted.
10. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
(a) Mattie proposes they visit one another.
(b) Mattie proposes they sled into the elm tree, killing themselves.
(c) Mattie proposes they leave together, even without any money.
(d) Mattie proposes they drive Zeena away.
11. What details does the narrator provide about the Fromes?
(a) He says he does not wish to discuss the matter.
(b) He says he was given food and sent on his way.
(c) He says he was given dinner and slept in the barn.
(d) He says he was treated with kindness and slept in the study.
12. Ethan recalls that Mattie's few belongings had _____________________________________.
(a) Made the room look shabby and old.
(b) Brought attention to her beauty.
(c) Brought life and comfort into the bare room.
(d) Been extravagant and self-indulgent.
13. The day's bad weather foreshadows _________________________.
(a) Ethan's bankruptcy.
(b) An unhappy reunion with Zeena.
(c) Mattie's rejection of Ethan.
(d) The death of Ethan's horses.
14. Instead of asking the Hales for money, Ethan _________________________.
(a) Goes to the train station.
(b) Goes home.
(c) Goes to visit Jotham Powell.
(d) Hides out in the barn.
15. What emotion does Ethan feel over his argument with Zeena?
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie is revealed when Zeena presses Ethan to pay for a hired girl?
2. What excuse does Zeena use to try to keep Ethan from driving Mattie to the train?
3. How does Zeena find the broken pickle dish?
4. For Ethan, Zeena personifies ______________________________-.
5. Zeena claims the need for a hired girl forces her to ___________________________.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)