|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Throughout the morning, Ethan continues to feel a spirit of ______________________.
2. Ethan invites Jotham to dinner because _______________________________________.
(a) He needs to talk to Jotham about his work.
(b) He wants a neutral presence there since Zeena has returned.
(c) He wants an objective observer to hear Zeena's health complaints.
(d) He knows Zeena will not ask about money with Jotham there.
3. Wharton describes Zeena as possessing an air of ___________________.
4. Zeena instructs Jotham Powell to ________________________________________.
(a) Take Mattie into town and leave her there.
(b) Search Mattie's belongings for Zeena's missing items.
(c) Take Mattie to the train when he goes to pick up the hired girl.
(d) Carry Mattie's trunk to the sleigh.
5. Whose presence at breakfast compels Ethan to hide his happiness at being alone with Mattie?
(a) Andrew Hale.
(b) Jotham Powell.
(c) Ruth Farnum.
6. What does Zeena claim the doctor has ordered her to do?
(a) Take in a hired girl to help around the house.
(b) Travel to the next town to see another doctor.
(c) Stay in bed.
(d) Remove all stress from her daily life.
7. Why does Ethan insist on sitting in the front of the sled?
(a) He wants to absorb the shock when they hit the elm.
(b) He wants to feel the air in his face.
(c) He wants to be able to steer the sled.
(d) He wants to feel Mattie's arms around him.
8. What emotion does Mrs. Hale express for Ethan?
9. Ethan intends to hurry home for dinner so that __________________________________-.
(a) He can send Jotham can go home early.
(b) He can avoid seeing Zeena in town.
(c) He can serve Mattie instead of having her serve him.
(d) He can enjoy his last moments alone with Mattie before Zeena arrives.
10. What task do Ethan and Mattie carry out together?
(a) They carry Mattie's trunk out to the sleigh.
(b) They carry Zeena out ot the sleigh.
(c) They clean up the room for the hired girl.
(d) They carry Zeena's rocking chair over to the window.
11. As they head into town, Ethan points out ____________________________________________.
(a) The positive aspects of Mattie's situation.
(b) Several places Mattie might go after leaving Starkfield.
(c) A place where they might hide out from Zeena.
(d) Several places where he and Mattie had been together.
12. What does Mattie plan to do after leaving Starkfield?
(a) She will try to go back to college.
(b) She will try to get a job in a store.
(c) She will try to get hired as a maid.
(d) She will try to connect with her family.
13. Secretly, Ethan wanted to put off his trip into town because it meant _________________________________.
(a) He could speak to Andrew Hale about money again.
(b) He could send Jotham to pick up Zeena from the Flats.
(c) He could help Mattie clean up the breakfast dishes.
(d) He could go home and spend the day with Mattie.
14. Ethan cannot buy glue from Michael Eady's store because _______________________________.
(a) Eady's store is not open.
(b) Eady's wife would report it to Zeena.
(c) Denis refuses to sell it to him.
(d) Denis cannot find it.
15. Ethan feels his misery is mocked by ________________________________.
(a) Zeena's renewed energy.
(b) The decaying state of his home.
(c) Denis Eady and his young friends.
(d) The beauty of the day outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What solution does Mattie propose to their situation?
2. Zeena has only made arrangements for _____________________.
3. What does Zeena want to question Mattie about before she leaves?
4. When Zeena suggests that Mattie has "taken from her" the one she cared about most of all, she is referring to _____________________________.
5. Why does Ethan think Zeena has not arrived at home yet?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)